385 replies to this topic

#351 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:53 AM

I really don't anticipate much username theft. If I'd does happen, I'm confident the GMC mod staff will handle it appropriately.

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#352 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:24 AM

I really don't anticipate much username theft. If I'd does happen, I'm confident the GMC mod staff will handle it appropriately.

agreed, thankfully the gmc is a site that requires a good bit of work to be put into making a account, no two button sign-up, in fact i would encourage yoyo to make the signup of this new forums site a bit more obtuse for the first little bit, help keep the d*ck heads out, hopefully those whom do for some reason get there name nabbed will be able to prove there identity to the moderators with things like twitter, facebook, youtube, etc. accounts and what-not

this is just a tense time for a lot of people, as its understandable that vary few people will be ok with 100% of whats being purposed here, even if they cant put there finger on it, just feels to sudden and extreme for a lot of people =/

Edited by Tirous, 11 January 2016 - 06:28 AM.

#353 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

You are just guessing here, it's all very well saying that but you have nothing to back that view up.

Are you talking to me or yourself, here?

My experience of forums, based on the sites I have been a part of, what I know from talking to staff here, and my own experience as a staffer on a forum of equal size, is that people are very fickle about their usernames and appearance (this is true in many aspects of the Internet, e.g Steam profile names). The reason why we don't see it happen much here is because you aren't allowed to freely change your name, and....

lol, okay, forum-master.

You won't. If they delete the accounts, everyone will be able to get their original username back - guaranteed.

Yup! :)

Edited by HopelessComposer, 11 January 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#354 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

Just wanna add that I'm 100% behind option 3 now that I know the archive will be as it should be.

It's the best option here really.

The archive ensures nothing is lost & we still have access to all that useful info.

The new forums (should) ensure that new people coming in have a better community experience, & that the boards aren't full of so much dead weight/clutter.

:)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#355 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

Just wanna add that I'm 100% behind option 3 now that I know the archive will be as it should be.

lol, option 3 was the only option the staff was ever going to go for in the end. This thread is just here so that nobody will riot about it.

Everyone was against it at first, but sure enough, every well-liked staff member has slowly made their appearance in this thread to nudge everyone in the right direction. Knew where this thread was going as soon as I saw it. :')

That said, I am also for option 3. Without the archive, though. Don't waste time saving this dusty old forum. Nuke this place from orbit!

Edited by HopelessComposer, 11 January 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#356 Forester

Forester

The One And Only Enragement Cat

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yeah. I would hate to lose my username. Really really hate it.

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg
soundcloud - twitter - facebook - ask.fm - advc

#357 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

lol the title of the thread gives it away, im up for it as half my posts are not that helpful anyway, i talk gibberish most of the time, although i look forward to filling the new one up with more LOL, really do wish i didn't have to work as a kid instead of school but the family had to eat, still archive the old one though as there was lots of good stuff still there.

there, now change my name to gibberwookiee.

Edited by jackhigh24, 11 January 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#358 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

(snip)...even if they cant put there finger on it,  just feels to sudden and extreme for a lot of people  =/

I suppose some people are overly upset about losing comments they posted on the internet.  Sort of an internet version of "hoarding complex".   Thankfully, I don't have those issues. 

But all these empty pizza boxes and old newspapers are becoming an issue.  Time to get a bigger house.

#359 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

We'd have to be a bunch of idiots to allow that.

If I have to fight for my username on a forum that I've been on for 5 years, I'd rather leave the GMC.

You won't. If they delete the accounts, everyone will be able to get their original username back - guaranteed.

Well... no. It's not guaranteed. if someone takes it to try and impersonate you - you'll get it back. But if you have a common one "Mike" for example, they may well get in before you and still be themselves. You won't get it back in this case.

But for "active" people on here, I expect all to get the username of their choice.I expect the issues to occur when a user who only visits occasionally returns, and finds his username gone.

lol, option 3 was the only option the staff was ever going to go for in the end. This thread is just here so that nobody will riot about it.
Everyone was against it at first, but sure enough, every well-liked staff member has slowly made their appearance in this thread to nudge everyone in the right direction. Knew where this thread was going as soon as I saw it. :')

We've not asked anyone to promote a specific option. ALL comments in here - including ours - are personal preference. I've said before, the absolutely simplest option for us, was to stick with it, and let the auto-upgrade (which is usually pretty good) do it's thing.  But since the machine is being refreshed - and with the new version closer than ever, it was a good time to sit back and take stock.

We're reading every comment here, making sure as many as possible are happy with what ever we end up doing.

We've also enhanced options as user suggestions have been read. Leaving the GMC domain to point to the archive for example, allowing admins to put forwarding links in the old one to continue threads etc - all came about because of the on going discussion here. There are technical - and security issues, that have stopped other suggestions being considered, but on the whole... this is a community lead upgrade.

#360 Leafen

Leafen

Love storm! <3

• GMC Member
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

I'm up for the nukes. The GMC really needs a fresh start for its own good, but it would be great if we could refer to this page for codes made by people from long ago.

#361 BeveledEdgeCo

BeveledEdgeCo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

I'd prefer option 1. 

I get that you guys have reasons against (as intimated in OP), but I think it's pretty clear when something is outdated (the date is years old). By and large the content will be irrelevant or useful, not harmful. So I'd say in those special cases you're better off marking the post as outdated e.g. in the case of previous YYG employees.

#362 dkcas11

dkcas11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

I really dig the fresh start, wiping everything and start clean and fresh. But with a legacy forum, where you can search and access old content. Because a lot of the time a question has been asked before, and a Google search will do a great help resolving your issue :)

agreed, option 3 all the way, of course god only knows that the same questions will be asked on the new forums over and over and over, regardless of what google does =D

Yea, exactly. The pile of already-answered questions will eventually build up again, no matter what :)

icon114_ios-1.png    icon114_ios-2.png    icon114_ios.png

Fly Little Plane!                Swing Kites              Escaping Blocks

#363 Luigi003

Luigi003

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

That said, I am also for option 3. Without the archive, though. Don't waste time saving this dusty old forum. Nuke this place from orbit!

You don't know what are you saying.

There are a lot of content in this GMC, in fact, It's the biggest GM community around the world and a lot of people(like me) always land here when surfing on the internet.

Full delete is not an option, not for now at least.

Regards~

#364 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

You don't know what are you saying.

There are a lot of content in this GMC, in fact, It's the biggest GM community around the world and a lot of people(like me) always land here when surfing on the internet.

Full delete is not an option, not for now at least.

Regards~

I think he was (partly at least) joking. Either way though, actually deleting everything is not an option we are considering.

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#365 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

Delete Universe pls.

#366 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

If this is inevitable, then I vote #3. But only if the legacy domain is still accessible to avoid dead links. I have TONS of stuff linked to these forums and I am sure many others do as well.

That's my only real and serious concern, another thing would be if we could import some of our profile data, like join dates and rep points, but that is not really important, just a nostalgic thing.

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#367 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

I think he was (partly at least) joking. Either way though, actually deleting everything is not an option we are considering.

Of course I was partly joking. I know you guys wouldn't actually delete this forum instead of archiving it. :)

I wish you'd reconsider, though. Think of all the hilarious e-drama and delicious e-tears you'll be passing up on! Once in a lifetime chance, here! ;D

Edited by HopelessComposer, 11 January 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#368 orange451

orange451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1411 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Can I keep my join date? :)

bC14QqN.pngNrTFeil.png

#369 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

...actually deleting everything is not an option we are considering.

Mike is.  :whistle: 

#370 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Can I keep my join date? :)

To show how new you are around here?:D

I wish you weren't joking. :'D

"Of course we took all of your opinions into account. Unfortunately, due to obscure technical and financial reasons, archiving the forum just isn't feasible or possible at this time."

It would be the funniest day in GMC history, for sure. Mike, if anyone has the strength to come out and announce this, it is surely you. Please make my dreams come true. X'D

Edited by HopelessComposer, 11 January 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#371 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

How much does it cost to pre-order a username and a season-pass for the new forum? I hope it comes with some exclusive pre-order DLC!

#372 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

(snip)...even if they cant put there finger on it,  just feels to sudden and extreme for a lot of people  =/

I suppose some people are overly upset about losing comments they posted on the internet.  Sort of an internet version of "hoarding complex".   Thankfully, I don't have those issues. 

But all these empty pizza boxes and old newspapers are becoming an issue.  Time to get a bigger house.

as i said before, its the clutter that makes it all feel like home =)

also, will we be getting any new functionality in the new version of the forums? things like the ability to revert likes/dislikes for example?

#373 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:44 PM

also, will we be getting any new functionality in the new version of the forums? things like the ability to revert likes/dislikes for example?

I hope so, else it wont be much of an upgrade..

Now start a new thread; new forum software features request :D

Edited by Manuel777, 11 January 2016 - 10:44 PM.

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#374 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

I hope so, else it wont be much of an upgrade..

Now start a new thread; new forum software features request :D

he he you know that NEVER work =)

#375 SmoTh

SmoTh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

I haven't read the thread through, so I'm sorry if I'm mentioning things already said, anyway, here's my two cents:

A board clean up sounds exiting and refreshing, but it gotta be done right, and not half arsed. It's like when cleaning your house/room/man cave/whatever. You don't just shove all your junk into the closet and call it good, right?

I'd suggest a mix of option 2 and 3. We archive off the old threads, select a cleanup crew of volunteering, & trusted community members. Then establish some clear cut directions for the cleanup crew to follow and then start flagging the old content as either relevant, or irrelevant  We could also make the thread owner solely responsible for flagging it as relevant, or irrelevant. So just do option 3, and allow mods to transfer the old topics back, or delete them if requested.

What type of forum improvements are you thinking about? We're currently running a very standardized "bulletin board" and frankly a lot of improvements could be done. If you're looking for inspirations, check out https://forum.teksyndicate.com/ here's a video where they talk about it's functionalities. https://www.youtube....h?v=61RPtf31als

Edited by SmoTh, 11 January 2016 - 11:40 PM.

This is a signature...

#376 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

I haven't read the thread through, so I'm sorry if I'm mentioning things already said, anyway, here's my two cents:

A board clean up sounds exiting and refreshing, but it gotta be done right, and not half arsed. It's like when cleaning your house/room/man cave/whatever. You don't just shove all your junk into the closet and call it good, right?

I'd suggest a mix of option 2 and 3. We archive off the old threads, select a cleanup crew of volunteering, & trusted community members. Then establish some clear cut directions for the cleanup crew to follow and then start flagging the old content as either relevant, or irrelevant  We could also make the thread owner solely responsible for flagging it as relevant, or irrelevant. So just do option 3, and allow mods to transfer the old topics back, or delete them if requested.

What type of forum improvements are you thinking about? We're currently running a very standardized "bulletin board" and frankly a lot of improvements could be done. If you're looking for inspirations, check out https://forum.teksyndicate.com/here's a video where they talk about it's functionalities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61RPtf31als

or we could just archive all of it =)

it really doesn't matter in this scenario in my opinion, besides, relevance and usefullness aint 100% of why people want things archived

#377 SmoTh

SmoTh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

it really doesn't matter in this scenario in my opinion, besides, relevance and usefullness aint 100% of why people want things archived

That's what I'm saying. Option 3, but allow users to have their archived threads moved back into the new forum, or deleted if they wish so.
This is a signature...

#378 Greenhawk

Greenhawk

Gue Games

• GMC Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:13 AM

...actually deleting everything is not an option we are considering.

Well then.  :ph34r: (Scratches head and sings Mad World :lol: ) If option 3 does come through, I'm all for it. As long as the archive is up and functioning, I think some of us will fine (for those who agree). I still need my dark theme though. I love me some dark theme.  

Games Made:

Youtube Channels:

One of the many GMC Gurus.

#379 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

That's what I'm saying. Option 3, but allow users to have their archived threads moved back into the new forum, or deleted if they wish so.

feels like that would be a lot of work for something that's otherwise kinda redundant, if people want to delete a thread then they probably would have done so by now, and if the forum is archived there's vary little attention that will fall upon that thread anyways, not to mention the fact that if you want to continue a discussion you can just make a new thread in the new forums and just say that its a extension of a previous thread in the old forums, then just add a link to that thread for people to use

regardless, for me my only concern is that the community is held together and not alienated to much, as i mostly use the gmc just to talk or generally act like a stupid child(whether i know it or not =D), and thus id find it somewhat tragic if the culture of the community would just suddenly be diluted by something like this, people clueless as to why the main gmc ain't working or that there account is deleted leave, floods of new people come in and start spamming everything(this in particular has killed forum culture in the past...), things like that to a more or less degree are what i care most to have preserved, tools and posts are ether un-needed or can be replaced, but culture is unique and shouldnt so hastily be left to die

Edited by Tirous, 12 January 2016 - 12:37 AM.

#380 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

Will there be a way to protect out current user names?

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#381 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

Will there be a way to protect out current user names?

not likely, just gotta wake up bright and early and if anything goes wrong you can spam shaun(even if he cant help, it will make you feel better =D)

Edited by Tirous, 12 January 2016 - 12:47 AM.

#382 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:15 AM

Maybe beforehand there should be a "claim your username" topic on this site?

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#383 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:23 AM

Maybe beforehand there should be a "claim your username" topic on this site?

might be better to just quitely grab ours before someone else does, best not grab the attention of the trolls with such a official topic

however when the new gmc or whatever is started, then maybe for example someone could start a "meet up" topic, in which everyone says who from the original gmc they are, as well as some proof like say a tweet from them backing up there claim, something like that

or maybe if yoyo could open the new version a week or two before closing down the current one, just so that we can all move across and adjust before having to say goodbye to the current gmc =)

Edited by Tirous, 12 January 2016 - 02:27 AM.

#384 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

or maybe if yoyo could open the new version a week or two before closing down the current one, just so that we can all move across and adjust before having to say goodbye to the current gmc =)

^^This

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#385 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

I haven't checked this topic since page 2 so excuse me if this was mentioned before. Has there been any discussion about only copying topics active in the past N months (to avoid splitting active topics in half), then archiving the rest? I assume this is doable in terms of databasing.

This way, those who want a fresh start will have all the outdated posts gone. Those who want to keep everything will have their active topics. YYG doesn't have to spend as long transferring data. You'd have the best of both worlds.

I like this option the best.  :thumbsup:

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#386 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

You will have the ability to move content at any point as these forums will be archived and readable and won't be going anywhere =)

I want to thank you all for the feedback and contributions given in this thread, we've now put together a plan which you can see here!

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=687795

We're getting fancy new forums!

Please take further discussion to the new thread, I'm closing this one now to avoid confusion =)

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S