13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

So some of you will know (if you've been following me on Twitter) that I've been trying to get a Raspberry Pi port going in my own time for years now! Well, I finally did it!

Obviously I can't just release it, that's not my call - but it's there...and runs.... What's more, I've added some basic GPIO support in there! This means you can actually control external stuff directly from inside GameMaker: Studio via standard GML commands! This is very cool, and I've been having great fun with it.

I've written up my latest plaything on my own blog, and you can have a read if you bored.

http://dailly.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/hooking-up-sd-card-to-raspberrypi.html

You can also see some of the games I've managed to run on the Pi on my Vine account: https://vine.co/mdf200  

Please remember that this is a personal project, and one I'm trying hard to get released so everyone can enjoy it. It's far from "finished", but I'm not sure it ever will be. However even in it's current state, it's great fun. But - an there's a big BUT; it's not "mine", and neither is the final decision. But fingers crossed "something" will come of it.

#2 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:21 PM

Fantastic, Nice work!

I'm assuming the original pi and not the pi II

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#3 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

Fantastic, Nice work!

I'm assuming the original pi and not the pi II

One of his Vines mentions the "Rasperry Pi 1", so it's looking hopeful!

Mike, awesome stuff you've got there! GameMaker would be an awesome default learning tool for kids over MIT Scratch. I'm sure if the Raspberry Pi Foundation shows interest, your higher-ups would be more than willing to prioritize development ;)

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#4 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

It works on all them, but Pi 1 is a bit slower - probably due to the audio thread. But depending how well you code, it can run. I've had a game running fine on the Pi Zero for example (which is a $5 - single core 1Ghz CPU with 512Mb RAM). You have to watch memory usage though, as it needs a 256/256 GPU/CPU split.

Most of my work has been with the PI 2 though, as it's a bit easier to get working with....more RAM, quad core etc.

The Pi guys are aware of this, but as it's not ON the device, I don't think they could swap their current recommendations. My "wish" though is that you could suddenly get some pretty amazing, polished, commercial games for it; something the Pi is sorely missing.

#5 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:05 PM

This is really amazing, and I am already seeing applications for the export.

The most obvious application is using GMS to power gaming machines like arcade boxes, slot machines and pinball machines. Unlike conventional boxes that use proprietary controllers running into 3- to 4-digits USD, this one only needs a $25-$50 Raspberry Pi. Also unlike proprietary controllers, Raspberry Pi is Internet-enabled, making this an ideal candidate for GMS's entry into Internet of Things.

This export can also revitalize YoYo's presence in the education sector. YoYo absolutely dropped the ball on that for 2015 with its handling of 8.1's retirement. Combining electrical engineering with game development is a powerful new selling point that I have not seen in competitors with similar target audiences.

The export has a lot of potential and aligns well with Playtech's background in the gaming industry. I am putting my money on this going through, and it will be a game-changer.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#6 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

Your work with the Raspberry Pi port is amazing, Mike. GameGeisha has listed a good number of reasons why a Raspberry Pi module would be a great fit for GameMaker. :)

#7 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:54 AM

Excellent work as always Mike! I personally don't own a Raspberry Pi, but the news are sure exciting! I'm hopeful that it will turn into an actual GMS module... But even if it doesn't, it's still awesome. Keep up the good work! :)

EDIT: First 2016 post, yaaaay.

Edited by Overloaded, 01 January 2016 - 01:54 AM.

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#8 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

This is really amazing, and I am already seeing applications for the export.

The most obvious application is using GMS to power gaming machines like arcade boxes, slot machines and pinball machines. Unlike conventional boxes that use proprietary controllers running into 3- to 4-digits USD, this one only needs a $25-$50 Raspberry Pi. Also unlike proprietary controllers, Raspberry Pi is Internet-enabled, making this an ideal candidate for GMS's entry into Internet of Things.

This export can also revitalize YoYo's presence in the education sector. YoYo absolutely dropped the ball on that for 2015 with its handling of 8.1's retirement. Combining electrical engineering with game development is a powerful new selling point that I have not seen in competitors with similar target audiences.

The export has a lot of potential and aligns well with Playtech's background in the gaming industry. I am putting my money on this going through, and it will be a game-changer.

These are very much personal opinions...

Well, while I'd like to agree with you.... I'm afraid I can't. First, dropping 8.1 has had no impact on our Education market. We've spent 3 years moving schools, colleges and universities over from 8.x to Studio, so that isn't an issue. The other "education" area is folk learning on their own at home - those that use the free version. Studio's free version is much more powerful that 8.1, and when you get down to it.... they use the free one, they don't buy it. 8.1's time has come and gone, and it was the right time to drop it. You could almost count it's sales on your hands....

Second - Playtech don't care about using Pi for arcade/slot machines. They have no interest in this. In an industry that makes so much, and is regulated so heavily, spending money on arcade hardware isn't such a big issue for them. I'm not sure what's in these machines these days, but I'd bet some kind of windows machine (but who knows really - anyone got any links? It's be interesting to find out).

As to the WHY I'm actually doing it.... I'm gonna do a new blog post, and explain more - I miss writing blog posts :)

EDIT: http://dailly.blogsp...-export-to.html

#9 BenRK

BenRK

Now in high-definition!

• GMC Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

If it is at all possible, please make this happen! My Raspberry Pi has been gathering dust for years, and I would love to do SOMETHING with it. I'm too busy to learn a different programming language right now but want use my Pi for SOMETHING! Being able to just use GMS on the Pi to access the pins and make a light blink would be awesome for me!

#10 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

Awesome, really happy with the way this is going. Some day I'd like to create a small desktop arcade box, or even a handheld where the SD cards can double as game cartridges. We'd be able to make GameMaker driven, battery powered handheld console games. I smell a Kickstarter here...

#11 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:15 AM

Awesome, really happy with the way this is going. Some day I'd like to create a small desktop arcade box, or even a handheld where the SD cards can double as game cartridges. We'd be able to make GameMaker driven, battery powered handheld console games. I smell a Kickstarter here...

I'd donate for this kickstarter :D

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#12 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

This is very cool; here's to hoping we can have a play with it too at some stage.

Edited by zbox, 02 January 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#13 timlbs

timlbs

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:19 AM

will this work with the commercial gamepad variables and/or joystick variables?

#14 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

You can plug in controllers yes.... not sure what else you mean....