#1 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

About

Moonlight is a short game about a little character named Kinubo and his quest to the moon! Kinubo finds himself in a new village while looking for help on his quest, but most don't accept his presence. The characters here are a very tight bunch, and they don't take kindly to strangers!

Features

• A peaceful and atmospheric environment!
  • A relaxing and beautiful soundtrack by Julio Kladniew!
  • A lighthearted and interesting story!
  • A smooth and fluid platforming engine, with bouncy mushrooms and bubbles!

Support

Moonlight can be purchased on Steam, or at Itch! The game can also be can be downloaded at GameJolt!

If you experience any problems with the game, you can visit the forums on my website, or email me at jess@monkeymaw.com!

Screen_02.png

Screen_03.png   

Screen_09.png

Moonlight Update 1.1a - Released (2.2.2016)
-The Gamejolt system was not saving user credentials. This has been fixed.
-The Gamejolt system had a memory leak which would occasionally flood the server with http requests. This has been fixed.

Moonlight Update 1.1 - Released (1.30.2016)
-The camera was all wonky when you changed levels while in Rosco's balloon. This has been fixed.
-If you left the game at anytime after you first hop into the boat, and try to come back later, it could break your progression. This has been fixed.
-Customizable controls. There is keyboard support and multiple XInput gamepad support.
-Bubble jumping has been tweaked to be less bouncy horizontally. I have also moved or added extra bubbles to make things easier.
-The nasty upside down bubble jumping area in the caves, has had the gap filled in where the player could die. Now you can just focus on bouncing!
-The route to Lanuno's wand is now clearer. I not only added more arrow signs, I've added an effect to make the wand more visible.
-I made the camera move almost twice as fast to the resurrection statue when the player dies.
-I added signs throughout the game world to help with navigation. Especially where you can walk off screen to the next area.
-I implemented a method to upload your Gamejolt trophies you have earned offline. This is automatic, nothing extra is required from the player.
-Instead of doing character portraits and removing the speech bubble, as suggested, I opted to color the character's name in the dialog.
-I've removed some of the redundant laughing from the dialog.
-You can now talk to Lanuno again to see the hologram which shows Tupelo's puzzle. Just in case you need another look.
-The input system system has been completely re-written. This has given a performance increase, due to eliminating unnecessary checks and function calls.
-There are now two routes up to Mayo's detonator. The second route has only four bubbles, but requires a bit more jumping skill, or luck!
-The vertical sync mode has been changed to an alternate mode, this should provide even smoother gameplay.
-Since Moonlight has been given the green light on Steam, I have removed the support button on the menu.
-A tutorial regarding the game's controls has been added. It will only appear once upon a fresh start.

Moonlight Update 1.0 - Released (12.31.2015)

Edited by MonkeyMaw, 18 February 2016 - 04:38 PM.

My latest project is called Moonlight, and it can be purchased on Steam!

My Links: WebsiteGameJoltSteamItch!

#2 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

Ok, the presentation is... fantastic. The jumping & movement is quite nicely smooth. The graphics are pretty good too.(very good attention to detail)

Now, a few criticisms...

Some of the dialogue is a bit overly silly... and I doubt I will be the only person who is annoyed by the laughing sound effect XD

The sound effects in general weren't bad... but I think non-SFXR ones would sound better & be more suitable for the game.

The character names are a bit too similar, having tendency to have too many U's and O's, Mayo Kinubo... I don't remember the other names I encountered... they're all too similar. I think it's important to give the characters names that are distinctive from eachother so you don't get them mixed up or forget them. (E.G. Balrog, Misery, Toroko, King, Quote, all characters from Cave Story, all very distinct names)

I didn't understand how to modify the controls on the menu settings... it seemed impossible to change anything... almost as if it's just a screen to tell you what the controls are, not to modify them.

Incidentally, if you wanted this game to be kid friendly... I think you might want to make the bubble bouncing a little easier... I died/fell down way too many times...

I hope this feedback helps you to improve the game somewhat. It really is quite good from what I've played so far, the music is super. The game in general reminded me a lot of a children's story, which is good, it reminded me of another game, Castles In The Sky: https://www.youtube....h?v=HYdE8s9n1HY

I only reached the part where you get the hat from... I think Mayo was his name... but I will play further later and search for the red horned guy.

Nice work!

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#3 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

Thank you. I've heard similar things about the dialog, I guess writing isn't my thing. I did purposely choose similar names. I was thinking, they all look alike, etc. I just didn't look as far into it as you have, but I'm curious if others' will say similar things. As for the controls, yes it's true, they are not modifiable. I suppose it's a bit confusing, my apologies. The information you provided will most certainly help me improve the game, especially the bubble jumping part. I'm suffering from being to pro at it, since I've done it far too many times. I appreciate criticisms like yours, and know I'm trying really hard to make better games.

#4 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:50 AM

The graphics are stunning.

omQasih.jpg

#5 yamato

yamato

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

great! I like the art style.

#6 ClassyGoat

ClassyGoat

Goatee Connoisseur

• GMC Member
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

The art style, music, and sound effects are all amazing. Very professional looking and sounding.

The controls are very smooth for the most part.
I would recommend adding something at the beginning saying: "Press C to jump" (it took me a while to figure it out)
And also telling the player how to drop down a ledge would be helpful.
You can't assume that anyone will simply look at the controls in the settings. I sure didn't.

I played through until the part where you can change gravity. Then when you have to bounce on the bubbles upside down, it was just too hard for me. Having to go all the way back down and climb up again over and over and over again is simply not fun. I really do want to finish playing the game, but this part is just too frustrating. I would change that part, just make the ground go all the way over so you don't have to keep re-spawning over and over.

Also, the first part with the bubbles was very hard too. Almost to the point of just being frustrating and not fun. I almost gave up at that point.

I would recommend increasing the speed in which the screen moves to the respawn doors. If you die on one side of the room, it just takes way too long to scroll over to the door. Punishing the player in this way definitely takes away from the overall enjoyment of the game. Especially because there are points in the game where you have to die to progress ( when collecting the nuts for example )

The nut collecting quest was great. I liked that one a lot.

I disagree with orange08 about the dialogue being too silly. I thought it was appropriate for the overall mood of the game. And I like that what each NPC says is concise and short. I didn't feel like I had to skip through too much pointless dialogue.
As far as the character names are concerned, it didn't seem super important to even pay attention to their names anyways. Since they describe each other by what hat they are wearing, it's easy to find the next NPC you're supposed to talk to based on that.

The door in the cave with the note about you pressing 2 instead of 3 didn't make any sense to me. It looks like that is some sort of puzzle where you have to press some numbers on the keyboard to be able to get to a different location. I spent a long time in there getting more and more frustrated / disappointed and eventually went back the other way.

Overall, this game is great. You did a great job of making it clear what is a surface you can walk on and what is just background scenery.
And I love the butterflies and bats that fly around. Also the fire effects and spores that come off the mushrooms all make the world feel very alive and magical. :-)

SIDE NOTE: I too made a game about a creature trying to get to the moon!!! Although my game is very different and no where near as pretty as yours.

Edited by ClassyGoat, 13 January 2016 - 08:40 PM.

7757C.png sharkhugs_banner.png

#7 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:53 AM

Thank you all very much, I'm sincerely flattered! I greatly appreciate the detailed feedback as well, and you may have noticed, that I've edited my original post with some information regarding the next update to Moonlight. The list isn't considered complete, it's just where I am at currently. Thank you again!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, platformer, windows