7 replies to this topic

#1 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

I'm a bit of a local history buff. I can give an estimation to within 5 years of the construction dates of most buildings at my university, as well as much of the surrounding town. This fascination also seems to have spread to the internet.

GMC has now been around for about 15 years, and A LOT has happened in that time. I'm making this topic to showcase some of these things. if anyone has any facts or stories they'd like to share, feel free to post them here.

If anyone's interested, here's a rough timeline of this site.

Spoiler

Other links:

A timeline of Game Maker I made last year (plus a fun quiz by NakedPaulTost)

A timeline of almost-every GMC staff member

Edited by RekNepZ, 10 December 2015 - 11:29 PM.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#2 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

The forums are moved to IP.Board again, this time permanently, under the address "forums.gamemaker.nl". This is the site still used today.

Gamemaker.nl and yoyogames .com are not the same site anymore. Mr.Overmars appears to use the nl site.

Also, the sub directory is gmc. now, not forums...

The name, servers, and ipb version have changed so much, this is no where near the same as the 2003 site.

Edited by Lukan Spellweaver, 10 December 2015 - 09:20 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#3 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:30 PM

The forums are moved to IP.Board again, this time permanently, under the address "forums.gamemaker.nl". This is the site still used today.

Gamemaker.nl and yoyogames .com are not the same site anymore. Mr.Overmars appears to use the nl site.

Also, the sub directory is gmc. now, not forums...

The name, servers, and ipb version have changed so much, this is no where near the same as the 2003 site.

Updated.

AczgxAZ.png

#4 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

01/05/3500 - The future is Game Maker. All will be assimilated, but you still keep your minds because otherwise that would be Unity.

#5 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the interesting post, Rek. I remember a lot of it happening, so it was pretty cool being reminded of all of it.

I hope KC LC is doing alright. She was really cool. My favorite admin back then. I didn't know about Fred or xot being demoted, either. That's too bad, too. Fred's still around, obviously, but it feels like I don't see him nearly as much as I used to. Used to enjoy his posts. xot's still pretty active, since he's one of our resident shader gods, heheh.

I remember the first Winter competition, too, hahah. I was excited to see some of those games, back then. :)

Edited by HopelessComposer, 13 December 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#6 Cantavanda

Cantavanda

Flower Prince

• GMC-Member
  • 1110 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

Great timeline, thank you for sharing, it was quite interesting. Have a gamemakeriffic day.
VAvtpGr.png

#7 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

I'm bumping this and I encourage everyone to post your personal history with the site, seeing as it's going down soon.

I'll start with me.

I started using Game Maker when I was 10 back in spring of 2006 when snail man downloaded it onto our shared computer. After a month or so, I was able to master major aspects of the program such as making the player move and making other objects move. Soon, Snail showed me Seiklus and I was amazed by what Game Maker could actually do. I soon discovered many other games on gamemakergames.com which inspired me to try more new things.

My history with GMC didn't start until 2008. I'm not sure which was my first post, but the earliest one I could find was in the topic for Ark22 saying it was "rely rely good." I came to GMC mostly because I was unable to get registration on YoYoGames to work. I'm sort of glad it didn't now, Seeing how bad my games were at the time. On GMC, I was now able to interact with the community in many ways, such as pestering KCLC to get my YYG account working and getting into arguments with KCLC in my topics about various issues. It was years before I posted a topic that DIDN'T devolve into a minor flame war.

After I got my YYG account working, I moved over to there for the next few years as well as becoming active on the GameMakerGames Forums. I didn't visit this site much more until Snail Man introduced me to the GMC Jam. I voted in Jam 4 and then, starting with Jam 5, I made an effort to participate in every jam I could. As GMG started dying, I felt myself longing for a new community so, in fall of 2014, I returned here.

I've since made new GM friends and am very glad to be a part of this place. I still miss GMG and YYG, but this place has gotten me closer than ever to the Game Maker Community. Thank you all!

AczgxAZ.png

#8 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

Well, I've posted it before, but what the hell, right?

Back in the days of GameMaker 8.0, a young lad of the name Spellweaver looked for a way to make Zelda games on the interGoogles.

He came across many a tool: Construct(1), DarkBasic, Platinum Arts Sandbox, and Zelda Classic.

None of these fit his interest though. He wanted more than to make just Zelda games, he had a mind full of game ideas, after all.

He interGoogled "Easy Game Maker"(paraphrased there a bit), and was directed to the YoYoGames website.

It was filled with games by other people, made from the things in their heads. Many were scary horrible garbage, but still.

With this, he downloaded the GM 8.0 free version. He clicked the fruit and the clown. He flew planes in 1942, and spacecraft through the cosmos.

He decided this was it. He was going to make games for a living. If I knew him, I'd have smacked him, but he did it. He bought a license just as 8.1 came out, so he lucked out.

He made many a game with GameMaker 8.1(check my profile page, most of them are there). He had great fun making them too.

As he aged, however, he realised that the games he had made were less than adequate. These weren't games people would pay for. These were not good.

So he made a decision, in his early adulthood(18 ish), that the games he made from here on would be good. He would only work on things he knew could be good.

Things he'd play himself. With that, Studio came out. The best GameMaker version yet. It had so many features, that he couldn't pass up.

Using his 8.1 key, he got it really cheap. He messed around, and made a few sub par games with it, vastly better than his previous works, but still not quite good enough.

Then, on day in late 2014, an idea sparked in the treacherous and dark caverns of his mind. Lighting the vast chasms of thought. Illuminating the way for him.

That idea has grown over the past year, and formed into Homestead. The game that will make him at least tens of dollars.

And that leads to him being here, sharing that tale of extremely-ordinary experiences with you.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE