Photo

DAMAGE CONTROL - Updated Mar 1st - COMING SOON on Steam!

desktop 2d retro action

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hello Everyone!

Damage Control has now been greenlit and is now "coming soon" on steam!

Steam

.. so I'm moving all communication related to Damage Control to Steam and twitter for now. I want to thank everyone on the GMG boards for your comments, I couldn't have done it without you!

The current alpha will remain available for download here, and I will continue to respond to replies!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Ross Edgar.

################

title_1024.png

Introducing - Damage Control!

Damage control is a game about being a ships engineer. You need to keep the damage to the craft under control, until it completes it's mission.

I desparately want your feedback on the concept, gameplay, features and graphics. Be savage! Be mean! Be honest! :)

Controls

W,A,S,D - move

F - Pickup/Drop items

Q - Switch Player

SPACE - Enter Console Mode [used to connect power]

MB LEFT - Use Items

The game is over when the hull reaches zero, or the level progress bar completes.

DOWNLOAD

60.png

Runner%202016-01-28%2022-23-58-68.png

Runner%202016-01-28%2022-32-06-74.png

Runner%202016-01-28%2022-47-33-76.png

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Outpost, 11 March 2016 - 02:04 AM.

BANNER_650.png

#2 kivisoft

kivisoft

GMC Member

• 11 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:01 AM

Honestly I loved it!

It has a few minor issues but it certainly is something I would love to play on my Android phone. and maybe add more variety to the ship and the challenges.

Keep it up!

#3 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

Updated!

#changes in this version
MAJOR
- added player switching, you now have 2 engineers in the level, press Q to switch between them
- added doors.
- added console mode. This is only for connecting power right now. Press SPACE to access.
- added the power generator
- added power connections, you need to connect the power generator to power connections
before things like doors and recharge stations will work

MINOR
- reduced fire repair time
- added a damage report to the GUI, now you can see all the jobs that need doing
- added flaming effect to broken conduits

#bug fixes
- fixed an issue where it was possible to walk right though a wall
- stopped player getting hung on ladders when 1) Falling 2) Jumping
- when the conduit spawns fires, they occasionally rested on top of one another
- damage was being drawn above the interactable objects
- hints were being drawn on engineers not controlled by player

BANNER_650.png

#4 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:18 AM

Because I cant download I wont be able to test today. But! From what I see the graphics and concept seem pretty cool. When I test it I will give you some propper feedback.

Edited by strangastudios, 31 December 2015 - 11:53 PM.

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

#5 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- engineers now have Health Points. If an engineers reaches zero HP, they will die
- if all engineers die, it is game over
- tweaked power allocation mechanic. No longer drag and drop. Now you just click objects on/off to allocate power.

MINOR
- a broken conduit will now continue to generate small fires until repaired
- doors without power close automatically
- added a hint message when an object is un-powered
- engineers will flash briefly when hit

BANNER_650.png

#6 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:58 AM

UPDATED!

Please let me know your thoughts on the latest build! It's getting a little crowded in my wee test ship - I'll build a bigger one shortly.

Next Im planning to add a second scenario - ALIEN.

In this scenario there are several alien monsters on the ship, you must kill them before they either destroy the hull or kill all of the crew.

There is a ton on stuff to implement to make this work

- The monsters themselves

- NPC crewmembers

- Medkit to heal injured crewmembers

- Flamethrower Tool for your engineers

#changes
MAJOR

- added healing station. When powered, engineers under it's healing glow will regenerate HP.
- fires will now burn engineers. Keep your distance!
- added mouseover tips to explain what scenery things are..
- you now only need to click LMB once to start repairing
- once you are repairing, you can switch engineer and the job will still complete
- added active repair, when you start repairing a progress bar appears. If you hit LMB again when the progress bar is between the 2 lines, your repair will complete immediately. if you get it wrong, the repair will take 4x as long.

MINOR
- fixed an issue were a tool special effect would be "left behind"
- fixed asteroids landing very close toghether
- fixed asteroids landing behind larger objects, leaving the damage invisible
- added pickup animation to player
- fixed an issue where tools would be drawn too far away from the player during pickup animation
- added a light to the doors to indicate power on/off

BANNER_650.png

#7 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- expanded the map, now we are on board a larger ship
- added elevators. When powered, press W when standing over an elevator door to be transported

MINOR
- stopped drawing "use tool" hint if you already using your tool.
- added drop shadow and motion blur to incoming projectiles

#bug fixes
- fixed an issue where "power on/off" messages would inexplicably change their X position

BANNER_650.png

#8 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

How the heck do you make so many games so fast...?

It takes me like 3 weeks just to make a collision engine.

#9 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

I have to say I am impressed with what you consider a concept game. Its already more polished than so other "games" that people post. That being said, I like what you have so far but it tends to get tedious quickly. That could be because there is no way to tell just how long I have to survive, or there isn't much to do other than extinguish, patch, recharge.

Looking good so far though, keep it up 

#10 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Everyone - I never throw any code away .. so when it comes time to develop a new concept I now rarely have to program from scratch.

I have to say I am impressed with what you consider a concept game. Its already more polished than so other "games" that people post. That being said, I like what you have so far but it tends to get tedious quickly. That could be because there is no way to tell just how long I have to survive, or there isn't much to do other than extinguish, patch, recharge.

Looking good so far though, keep it up 

I'm looking at a couple of options for that

- There will be more damage types to come, i'm currently working on an o2 piping system that you need to keep connected

- I'm considering adding an alien monster scenario, where you would need to do repairs whilst evading an alien. Think pacman but with HR Gigers monster and the maze is on fire. :)

- I'm also considering adding crewmembers, they will be NPC's but if your crew all die it's game over. Crew will be injured by damage and need to be taken to sickbay.

What do you think?

BANNER_650.png

#11 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

I like where your thoughts are going so far. I might suggest adding armed guards for the alien invasion part if you add that. They can be NPCS and you have to work around them and the aliens to get the repairs done. Looking forward to the next update

#12 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

Updated!

#changes
MAJOR

- added oxygen connections. These will become damaged and the plugs will leap around, venting oxygen. Grab them and reinsert them before you run out of oxygen!
- removed power allocation mechanic. Didn't add to gameplay, just a click-fest :) .. will perhaps return later.

MINOR
- added particle effect to oxygen connectors
- hull hp bar pulses and flashes red when damage is incurred
- increased damage fire does to players
- decreased damage fire does to hull
- fires can no longer spread through doors
- increased number of doors in the level
- reduced amount of damage done by fire over time
- damage indicators now all flash at the same rate
- changed frequency of basic damage, now happens faster the closer you get to the end of the level
- added "cheerleader" messages which appear as the level progresses

#bug fixes
- fixed an issue that caused items to become stuck to the wall when thrown
- stopped drawing active repair indicators after active repair is attempted
- fixed an issue where switching player during a repair caused a graphical issue

BANNER_650.png

#13 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

UPDATED!

Major graphical update! Sound and Music to follow! :)

Enjoy!

BANNER_650.png

#14 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

I need a before and after to appreciate the new graphic overhaul! I can't remember what it used to look like...

#15 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- updated all background and terrain sprites
- added new UI objects, now see an indicator when you can carry out repair
- added background music track
- added various sound effects
- added "redshirt" NPC crewmembers, these guys don't do much right now apart from die. But eventually you wil be able to use a medkit to rescue them!

MINOR
- moved some ui elements into the GUI layer, to prevent them being affected by the lighting system
- added gui arrow to indicate active player
- added names to players
- increased animation speeds to better match the actions being carried out
- added sparking cables
- added glowing screens
- added pulsing lights
- reduced the time between an o2 plug being hit and hit becoming disconnected (less warning lead-time)

#bug fixes
- stop run animation as soon as we begin using ladder
- fixed o2 decreasing too quickly
- fixed tools not being carried in the correct position when player is standing still

BANNER_650.png

#16 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

I need a before and after to appreciate the new graphic overhaul! I can't remember what it used to look like...

Um oops I actually deleted the old screenshots... it was easier to just overwrite them than create whole new URL's for the images.

You will need to appreciate them in isolation. :)

BANNER_650.png

#17 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- if crew <= 0, it will be game over!
- added crew to ship status GUI
- added the medkit, use this to heal injured crewmembers
- removed camera tilting, was cool, but was in the way of communicating important info
- added main menu screen
- added level Select screen [there is only one level you can select, but hey it's there!]

MINOR
- added sound, music, return to mainMenu options to the pause menu
- added UI icons to indicate when you can pickup an item
- added main menu music
- added welcome screen
- added gameover animation and info screen
- added extra UI warnings when nearing a game loss state
- added starlight to the outside of  the ship
- different UI icons appear depending on what tool you are carrying
- added timer which appears when you are nearing the end of the level

#bug fixes
- fixed an issue where the background music would play over itself when the game restarted
- stopped blood spatter remaining in place when the game is restarted

BANNER_650.png

#18 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

Looks like it's progressing nicely! I'm looking forward to trying this when I get back to my computer

#19 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

Looks like it's progressing nicely! I'm looking forward to trying this when I get back to my computer

Thanks! Some feedback would be very useful!

BANNER_650.png

#20 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

Much better game now, it looks like its really coming together nicely from playing it. I like the overall feel of the game and the different mechanics that need to be balanced and juggled at the same time. I love the graphics, they are great and work very well for this.

My thoughts on the gameplay:

-Overall level length feels too long. It starts to get repetitive after a bit because you are doing it for so long with sometimes periods of nothing to do, or too much to do. I would lean more towards short time but busier.

-The big level is a bit much given how long it takes to get around with the characters. I found it very challenging to get the characters to the spots needed because of the speed at which they move, doors closing on top of them, etc. which I know is there for game play but makes it a bit too difficult. Perhaps you can play with the idea of giving the guys you control an order to auto-move to a spot so you can directly control one and then switch over to the other when he gets there. Just a thought.

-I would like a better indicator that one of the crew is dying or there is a very urgent bit of damage, like a popup bubble flashing at the edge of the screen in the direction of the item.

Looking great though, keep with this one!

#21 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Much better game now, it looks like its really coming together nicely from playing it. I like the overall feel of the game and the different mechanics that need to be balanced and juggled at the same time. I love the graphics, they are great and work very well for this.

My thoughts on the gameplay:

-Overall level length feels too long. It starts to get repetitive after a bit because you are doing it for so long with sometimes periods of nothing to do, or too much to do. I would lean more towards short time but busier.

-The big level is a bit much given how long it takes to get around with the characters. I found it very challenging to get the characters to the spots needed because of the speed at which they move, doors closing on top of them, etc. which I know is there for game play but makes it a bit too difficult. Perhaps you can play with the idea of giving the guys you control an order to auto-move to a spot so you can directly control one and then switch over to the other when he gets there. Just a thought.

-I would like a better indicator that one of the crew is dying or there is a very urgent bit of damage, like a popup bubble flashing at the edge of the screen in the direction of the item.

Looking great though, keep with this one!

Thanks morendal, thats great feedback. I think you will enjoy the next update - it "should" address all of your points. Great minds think alike and all that. :)

BANNER_650.png

#22 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- replaced o2 conduits with glass windows in the walls. These can break and air will go rushing out! You can close them with the emergency close button next to broken windows (Hint, crew members will also go flying out broken windows, so close them quickly!)
- added 3 new levels, starting off very simple and easy, and increasing in difficulty and complexity
- updated the level select screen so you can choose which of the levels you want to do
- you can mouseover the damage notifications and the camera will move to where they are

MINOR
- updated some of the movement vars, feels a little less limp/rigid to move about now
- increased size of damage notifications

#bug fixes
- fixed an issue where npc's would get caught under closing doors
- fixed an issue where switching player when there was only one player on the board, would cause you to lose control

BANNER_650.png

#23 FROGANUS

FROGANUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:11 PM

DAMAGE CONTROL!
Cool concept. Cool artwork. Initially it seems a bit wild with the explosions and figuring out which thing to grab for fixing, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I would hope to see more narrative development, maybe via some alerts system? What if the captain of the ship was yelling at you about when the attack is coming and when things are getting near destruction? BTW I also thought the sliding doors were a little annoying. I don't know if you could make them more responsive but maybe they require button or  something?
Keep it up!

-FROGANUS

-FROGANUS

#24 gulden

gulden

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

Hey, I just played the latest version!

I like the game play! Also that you get knocked away if it hits you nearby!

I think a local coop with friends would be really hectic and funny!

Maybe you could also add some alien invasion, which you have to destroy, maybe even with weapons!

Also some rods which you can only slide/fall down would be cool!

Lots of potential!

Do you take a break from your other game Dusters btw?

#25 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

thanks for the feedback guys, everything I get back from you is so useful, it lets me know what I'm missing! I cannot even begin to tell you how much I need feedback from players - keep it coming!

DAMAGE CONTROL!
Cool concept. Cool artwork. Initially it seems a bit wild with the explosions and figuring out which thing to grab for fixing, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I would hope to see more narrative development, maybe via some alerts system? What if the captain of the ship was yelling at you about when the attack is coming and when things are getting near destruction? BTW I also thought the sliding doors were a little annoying. I don't know if you could make them more responsive but maybe they require button or  something?
Keep it up!

-FROGANUS

- Yes I agree, simply moving "high priority" damage to the top of the damage UI is not enough. I need to draw players attention to it better. It's on the to-do list!

- With regards the doors, I use them to limit players speed of movement around the ship.. and later on you will notice they limit the spread of fire and prevent crew being sucked into space via a broken window. But I can see how they would be annoying. I will ponder this. :)

Hey, I just played the latest version!

I like the game play! Also that you get knocked away if it hits you nearby!

I think a local coop with friends would be really hectic and funny!

Maybe you could also add some alien invasion, which you have to destroy, maybe even with weapons!

Also some rods which you can only slide/fall down would be cool!

Lots of potential!

Do you take a break from your other game Dusters btw?

-DUSTERS! Yes very much still in development, but I was nearing burnout working on it. So I stepped back to work on this. I expect to turn back to dusters once Damage Control Steam Greenlight is complete.

- Thank you for the suggestion of sliding poles. I think a movement method that is fast in one direction, but slow in the other, is a GREAT mechanic. As a thank you, I have added your name [gulden] to the list of NPC crewmembers! (PM me if you want to change it to your mothers name or something? :P)

- Later™ I will add an alien monster to some levels. Once the monster appears it will roam the deck killing and destroying until you scare it off with a flamethrower. Space pirates are another similar idea, but I thought perhaps they would actively hunt the player too. What do you think?

Thanks again to everyone for playing, I regularly play damage control and i think it's got loads of potential! 

R.

BANNER_650.png

#26 gulden

gulden

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Glad to hear dusters is still in developement! Yes I can understand, that sometimes you have to step away from one project and refresh it with something else!

Thanks for adding the name, I find the quite funny! If you have sliding poles which work from top to bottom, you could also have some kind of springboard which works only from bottom to top.

Space pirates sound really cool, hunting you down. Maybe you could also add the possibility of placing some gun towers on your map to slow down intruders!

Looking forward for the next versions!

#27 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:21 AM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- levels are now locked until you complete the previous level, progress is saved locally so don't worry about quitting the game and coming back later. Your levels will still be unlocked.
- reduced the available time to rescue knocked down crewmembers
- crewmembers now take damage from fire
- adjusted the lighting system, it is a little more "stark" now.. not sure if I like it better or not..

MINOR
- various performance improvements
- added direction indicator to elevators
- moved hint messages into the GUI layer (stops them being affected by lighting)
- moved notification text into the GUI layer (stops them being affected by lighting)
- added a particle effect for deploying medkit
- removed random element from active repair mechanic
- replaced some background textures to reduce "noise"
- fire added to the lighting system
- added new direction for asteroids to enter the game from
- it is now possible to repair windows when they are just damaged, that is, BEFORE they shatter and suck your crewmembers out into the coldness of space. lol.

#bug fixes
- fixed gameover message not showing if all your team members die
- players will now die if they fall out of a window, instead of just falling endlessly
- fixed players falling over animation facing the wrong direction when hit
- fixed players taking too long to get up from a hit
- fixed doors taking too long to open/close
- fixed a crash that could happen when switching player when there is only 1 player available

BANNER_650.png

#28 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- added the ALIEN monster. It will appear from wall vents and roam the deck looking for victims.
  Eventually you will be able to equip weapons to scare the monster off, but for now it's escape and evade!
- added LOCKER interactable object. Press W when your player is near a locker to hide from the alien.
- added a fourth level featuring the alien.
- unlocked all levels for testing.
- added "crusher" hazard. When the light turns red, try not to be standing underneath it!

MINOR
- added a line between levels to show next unlock
- levels are now split into systems. When all levels are complete in one system, the next system will unlock.

#bug fixes
- fixed a bug where lifts would not detect their partner correctly.
- fixed an issue that prevented a successful active repair on fire damage
- fixed an issue that caused "jitter" when you switched from a player that was currently moving

BANNER_650.png

#29 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- alien will now run away from fire damage
- added the flamethrower weapon, use this to scare off the alien
- added GUI element to show how many engineers you have, which you have selected, and their HP

MINOR
- the game now saves sound/music preferences
- updated crewmembers GUI
- you can now restart failed levels without having to return to the level select screen
- updated the recharge station sprite
- updated the hull breach sprite

#bug fixes
- stopped drawing "level unlocked" notifications after the screen has changed

BANNER_650.png

#30 AndyWeller

AndyWeller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

Really nice, this proves i have a long way to go in learning to code games

nice work.

#31 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

Really nice, this proves i have a long way to go in learning to code games

nice work.

Keep it up! It's taken me a few years to get to this point - unfortunately there are no shortcuts! But it's worth it to be able to create and share my terrible creations with an unsuspecting populace. :)

Do feel free to PM any questions etc.

What did you think of the game? Any feedback?

Edited by Outpost, 20 January 2016 - 01:32 PM.

BANNER_650.png

#32 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:27 PM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- added climb animation for player on ladders

MINOR
- juiciness, repair progress bar grows and fades
- juiciness, repair progress bar "pulses" when active repair success/fail
- juiciness, damage now fades out when repaired
- juiciness, hint boxes now grow/shrink instead of just appearing
- hint text from player will only draw for a short time before dissappearing

#bug fixes
- stopped pickup UI appearing when items are being recharged at the wall
- corrected an issue that meant players being knocked over to the left would recover instantly
- fixed an issue where the UI would continue to draw after damage was repaired
- fixed an issue where sound and music prefs were not being correctly saved

BANNER_650.png

#33 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:57 PM

New trailer!

Edited by Outpost, 01 February 2016 - 03:39 PM.

BANNER_650.png

#34 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:21 AM

UPDATED!

#changes
MAJOR

- added engine power management. Now, To make the ship move to it's destination you need to
1. Get a fuel rod from the recharge station
2. Insert the fuel rod into the engine power plant
3. Goto the engine and activate it
*NB Spent fuel rods will generate radiation, remember to dump used fuel rods from the ship using the fuel
rod dump.

- adjusted lighting and background sprites to reduce "noise" and enhance clarity of play

- adjusted the active repair mechanic. Previously if you missed the active repair time window, the time to repair would become longer. That has been removed, now the time to repair will ALWAYS decrease but the items available charge will increase or decrease on a successful or failed active repair respectively.

MINOR
- added mouseover/click sound effects to GUI
- added misc other sound effects

#bug fixes
- fixed an odd crash that could occur when picking up an item

BANNER_650.png

#35 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:05 AM

Hello Everyone!

Damage Control has now been greenlit and is now "coming soon" on steam!

Steam

.. so I'm moving all communication related to Damage Control to Steam and twitter for now. I want to thank everyone on the GMG boards for your comments, I couldn't have done it without you!

The current alpha will remain available for download here, and I will continue to respond to replies!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Ross Edgar.

BANNER_650.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop, 2d, retro, action