235 replies to this topic

#51 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

what gets me is that its been known about for about a month according to what i've read up about above, and we are only told about it now ???? 

Where did you get that? It was within a day, pretty much as soon as we knew we removed it, and informed everyone.

So are the GMC storing password hashes

They are hashed.

Just to be clear, this didn't affect the marketplace/yoyo acct did it? Just the forums?

We obviously are still investigating, but it's highly unlikely. The YoYo accounts are in cloud storage, while this machine is a physical machine. There is zero connection between them. I wouldn't worry about that.

#52 BlueSteelAU

BlueSteelAU

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:00 PM

i saw it mentioned here http://gmc.yoyogames...84035&p=4914303that someone found it and reported it months ago , unless they were talking about somewhere else and another issue

what gets me is that its been known about for about a month according to what i've read up about above, and we are only told about it now ???? 

Where did you get that? It was within a day, pretty much as soon as we knew we removed it, and informed everyone.

#53 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:20 PM

They don't mention what server it was, and it wasn't us they reported it to......?

#54 Hax4Ever

Hax4Ever

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

I find it pretty dimwitted to hack this website, other websites are alot more valuable, and they're easier to break into from what I can tell.

#55 Slammin Sam

Slammin Sam

I craft juicy things

• GMC Member
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

I find it pretty dimwitted to hack this website, other websites are alot more valuable, and they're easier to break into from what I can tell.

Most likely people use the same password across sites. This forum is therefore like a gateway to the more valuable sites.

Nothing to see here...move along

#56 Dread

Dread

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

Suddenly I respect you more than ever.

I know that "security" is a state of mind.

You really did the right thing informing us. :thumbsup:

#57 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:18 PM

Updated my password... I'm actually having three tiers of passwords. I use a very simple password for one-off sites, alternate accounts and similar that I don't care about, a normal password for most sites I care about (with the GMC having a slightly different version due to me using my 3DS to browse it on the go sometimes, and I needed a password that contained symbols from its limited character set), and for really important things I use completely unique versions with salts and whatnot. My bank app password is well over 20 characters long.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#58 cookieboy

cookieboy

Seabass (The Human)

• GMC Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:50 PM

Oh god no. Hopefully they won't see my password! :( It is my credit card's number, expiration date, name on front, zip code, and security code. Guess I'll change it back to 'cookieboy'.

Vnc5NxB.jpg

Support a fellow GMC member? <3

http://store.steampo...com//app/357650

#59 Lindion45

Lindion45

Scared of the Ducks

• GMC Member
  • 1554 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:56 AM

Oh god no. Hopefully they won't see my password! :( It is my credit card's number, expiration date, name on front, zip code, and security code. Guess I'll change it back to 'cookieboy'.

They'll see a hash of your password. The longer a password is, the harder it is to reverse the hash. 
(Assuming you're not joking, which I really hope you are because that would be a pretty ridiculous password!).

I'm actually having three tiers of passwords.

Same! Except I have like 5 variations of each one, because of the various requirements for each website.

They are hashed.

Are they hashed with a custom algorithm, or a well known one that can be reversed with an already existing rainbow table?

UzQSAz6.pngXhTycnt.png

#60 MikeDark_x

MikeDark_x

The Shadow Angel

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:19 AM

Hmm... what if I have been out for months and just came back?

Still had to use pass recovery because I forgot my pass, so I'm fine either way  :whistling:

And here I would put my cool signature... If I had one

#61 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:23 AM

Thank you for letting us know, this is a good time for me to plug: http://keepass.info/ It's a great tool that can help you keep track of your passwords.

Edited by Andy, 03 December 2015 - 02:23 AM.

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#62 nvrogers

nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:47 AM

I think I should just throw out there that, since we are all changing passwords, we might as well make good ones. Instead of more random characters, string together several words. It's easy for humans to remember and hard for machines to guess.

I work on games sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

#63 Ethanicus

Ethanicus

Ethan L!

• GMC Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

A website for coders gets hacked. There's a joke in there somewhere.

...in the Twilight Zone.

*slaps frantically*

The GMC is dead! Long live the GMC!

"So GMC goes down for about 2 weeks, then the new Phoenix GMC 2.0 rises from it's ashes on a new URL while the old and burnt out GMC languishes in archive heaven." -Nocturne

#64 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:14 AM

I think I should just throw out there that, since we are all changing passwords, we might as well make good ones. Instead of more random characters, string together several words. It's easy for humans to remember and hard for machines to guess.

I made my password be equal to that entire post. Am I doing it right?
iPqfGiP.png

#65 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:21 AM

My passwords are always cleverly crafted to be both entertaining and easy to remember.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#66 nvrogers

nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

I made my password be equal to that entire post. Am I doing it right?

Yes.

I work on games sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

#67 cookieboy

cookieboy

Seabass (The Human)

• GMC Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:24 AM

I tend to use a mix of symbols, both upper and lower case, as well as numbers. I use a minimum of 11 characters. I feel relatively safe.

Vnc5NxB.jpg

Support a fellow GMC member? <3

http://store.steampo...com//app/357650

#68 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

They are hashed.

Are they hashed with a custom algorithm, or a well known one that can be reversed with an already existing rainbow table?

They won't be hashed with a custom algorithm, that's not practical or necessary. The correct question is, are they salted?

And the answer is yes (as per IPB documentation), so they can't be cracked with a rainbow table.

#69 Dragon47

Dragon47

Mytino

• GMC Member
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:43 AM

Rainbow tables are usually for commonly used passwords, right? So if you know you have an obscure password, you would probably be safe?

Edited by Dragon47, 03 December 2015 - 05:44 AM.

wfoEubT.png       BNY6m3V.png       cfwjSDg.png       jermsLg.png       WqPXsGB.png

Games:   Blue Void (3D horror)   Icebound (2D puzzle platformer)

#70 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

Rainbow tables are usually for commonly used passwords, right? So if you know you have an obscure password, you would probably be safe?

Correct but when you take the entire Internet into account, the constraint "commonly used" becomes a lot easier to satisfy.
iPqfGiP.png

#71 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Topical and relevant:

password_strength.png

#72 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

They are hashed.

They won't be hashed with a custom algorithm, that's not practical or necessary. The correct question is, are they salted?

And the answer is yes (as per IPB documentation), so they can't be cracked with a rainbow table.

But I did just read that there was another attack in which they hacked into the login form itself and got the plaintext data from there. So I am assuming;

- They have had access to the database, thus to hashes + salted passwords (not easily reversable)
- The twitter data stored here are login hashes / oauth tokens, no passwords - just reset the login tokens for twitter
- There is 0 connection between this forum and other parts of YoYoGames (as it should! :) ) which contains personal information (such as the marketplace / licensing servers)
- They have had access to the login form, thus they have the plain text password of anyone who has logged in while the hack was there

So if you were logged in automatically (by cookie / session) you should be OK and damage is minimal.

This is based on assumption and I hope one of the forum administrators can acknowledge these statements.

Also a good idea to use tools like passwordmanagers that create a random password for each website. This prevents a whole lot of trouble (rainbow tables, shared passwords over different websites etc.)

#73 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

The previous attack was an edit to a forum script that made it store login data in plaintext (for the hackers' convenience) in an unauthorized log, it's nothing that the server is supposed to do.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#74 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

I didn't change my password from the random string of characters I got from a password reset a while ago. Reset my password, won't change it from the random string I've got given now.
ahahahha theyll never catch mee

#75 SuperDJD

SuperDJD

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

So should I change passwords for other sites then?

#76 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

Thats what I've asked indirectly 2 times now but still don't have an answer.

#77 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

If you're using the same password on another site and are super paranoid about a hashed and salted password being reversed, sure, go ahead. Otherwise, go ahead as well. Periodically changing your password can't hurt.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#78 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

If you're using the same password on another site and are super paranoid about a hashed and salted password being reversed, sure, go ahead. Otherwise, go ahead as well. Periodically changing your password can't hurt.

Have you read my post? We still don't know _what_ the hackers got a hold of, it might very well be plain text passwords but no one has told us.

#79 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Yes, that's why I included "Otherwise, go ahead as well".

If your password got compromised, change it.

If your password may have gotten compromised, change it.

Whether passwords actually were compromised doesn't change anything about that. In any case, the answer is "yes, change your password". Waiting for someone to confirm that your password definitely was compromised before you change it just leaves the back door to your account(s) wide open.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#80 Forester

Forester

The One And Only Enragement Cat

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for letting us know, this is a good time for me to plug: http://keepass.info/ It's a great tool that can help you keep track of your passwords.

What if that gets hacked? :P :o :o

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg
soundcloud - twitter - facebook - ask.fm - advc

#81 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

What if that gets hacked? :P :o :o

I believe a proper version of such software has passwords stored locally in a specific encrypted file. But yeah, if you find someone's keychain you have access to everything.

Yes, that's why I included "Otherwise, go ahead as well".

If your password got compromised, change it.
If your password may have gotten compromised, change it.

Whether passwords actually were compromised doesn't change anything about that. In any case, the answer is "yes, change your password". Waiting for someone to confirm that your password definitely was compromised before you change it just leaves the back door to your account(s) wide open.

I think I explained myself wrong. You should definately change your password since this they got a hold of something. But the urgency and threat of this event kind of depends on weather they got plain-text passwords or salty hash-strings.

Thats why I'm asking.

I mean - you're saying "They have access to your house" and I'm asking "Do they only have the keys or do they have my keys combined with my address?" In the latter case I'll go home immediately and replace my locks.

#82 Forester

Forester

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

I believe a proper version of such software has passwords stored locally in a specific encrypted file. But yeah, if you find someone's keychain you have access to everything.

Yeah. Still though, If I was gonna keep all my passwords stored somewhere, I'd use good old physical paper.

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg

#83 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

Yeah. Still though, If I was gonna keep all my passwords stored somewhere, I'd use good old physical paper.

Heh. So that will never get lost, get stolen, get copied, burns away? :P I'd go with some encrypted files on physical devices.

#84 Forester

Forester

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

Heh. So that will never get lost, get stolen, get copied, burns away? :P I'd go with some encrypted files on physical devices.

No. But it is much much more unlikely that some person will break into my house to steal a random piece of paper that is already hidden in my room somewhere safe than hack my PC... :P Especially where I live.

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg

#85 Surgeon_

Surgeon_

Loves Symbian

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

No. But it is much much more unlikely that some person will break into my house to steal a random piece of paper that is already hidden in my room somewhere safe than hack my PC... :P Especially where I live.

Well, you could use one of your old phones to store your info. I know I have a hundred old Nokias lying around the house doing nothing apart from getting charged every once in a while. And since you wouldn't go online on an old phone, it would be safe (unless the phone itself dies, but usually with Nokia the owner dies first :P ).

I suppose you could even store your info on your main phone if the conditions are right and you're not afraid of losing it or having it stolen.

Speaking of phones and security, does anyone really use an antivirus on their phone? I know literally nobody who does that...

-Surgeon_

Mercury Engine - 2D, grid-based Worlds - with built-in collision checking, tile animation and dynamic lighting.

NSP 2 - A (better) GML String Parser  - if you ever missed execute_string(...)

Possibly a link to my new Profile page - and possibly not

#86 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

(...)
Speaking of phones and security, does anyone really use an antivirus on their phone? I know literally nobody who does that...

-Surgeon_

Open up another topic, this topic is drifting towards off-topicness (I'm sorry, I am guilty of that as well)

#87 Cantavanda

Cantavanda

Flower Prince

• GMC-Member
  • 1110 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

oh no!

VAvtpGr.png

#88 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

Guys - can you stop quoting quotes of quotes please.

EDIT: Really.... not kidding. Any excessive quoting will result in your post being nuked from orbit.

#89 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

So... honest question. I keep getting logged out whenever I put my laptop into sleep, etc. Is this a new security measure or something?
iPqfGiP.png

#90 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

I assumed it was. I get logged out on every device every hour or so. I have all my passwords synced and saved in chrome though, so it's just an extra click for me to get back in.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#91 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

None that I'm aware of. Maybe your session isn't quite cooperating?

Try closing all GMC tabs but one, log out, clear all GMC cookies and logging back in. Works fine for me ever since I did that.

(Edit: Logging in from a different device probably invalidates your session on the device you already are logged in from.)

Edited by TsukaYuriko, 03 December 2015 - 08:43 PM.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#92 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

(Edit: Logging in from a different device probably invalidates your session on the device you already are logged in from.)

I've been doing this for years and always stay logged in.

I really assumed this was a move by YoYo to ensure users were logged on as themselves...

Edited by Lukan Spellweaver, 03 December 2015 - 08:45 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#93 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

Some stuff was reset on the forum...so not sure. close and open your browser, delete all GMC cookies, then login again. Might help....

#94 WMCD

WMCD

Spritist

• GMC Member
  • 1422 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:33 PM

During my 9 years here I haven't changed my password once (until today). It was "password".

I'm just going to leave that here.

Edited by WMCD, 03 December 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#95 Cantavanda

Cantavanda

Flower Prince

• GMC-Member
  • 1110 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

Have you already found any trace that the hacker has left behind?
Spoiler

Edited by Cantavanda, 03 December 2015 - 10:58 PM.

VAvtpGr.png

#96 Lindion45

Lindion45

Scared of the Ducks

• GMC Member
  • 1554 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

I assumed it was. I get logged out on every device every hour or so. I have all my passwords synced and saved in chrome though, so it's just an extra click for me to get back in.

This is happening to me too. I'm not putting my device into sleep, it just seems to be a timer.

Spoiler

Mike will make sure your death is drawn out and painful. A dangerous game to play :P

UzQSAz6.pngXhTycnt.png

#97 Sky Usanin

Sky Usanin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:32 PM

I might be a bit late, but thanks for the notice. I've already changed my password, and I hope these cyber attacks stay away.

#98 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:46 PM

Anyone who's having logout problems, just logout and clear your cookies like Mike said. That seems to have solved it for me.
iPqfGiP.png

#99 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:03 AM

Yup, Mike's suggestion fixed mine as well.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#100 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

Oh, this again?

Sorry, I don't mean to cause a stink, but at this point, my GMC password literally resides in its own text file on my computer. It's a 256 character long alphanumeric string that I generated using random.org

Needless to say, but I don't use the password anywhere else. So, since the hackers want it so badly, I'll save them a few trillion years. Here you go!

oB1LuAHvrtgYG83OZClg1P8ecEJQMROMVgAakuP2u4ywEdlB43wHSXeQsGbiiotZQChFSns5HoetIuBDwmBo6VaMjEAgZvZjwz1tV8Ke1Zv8kbceESYUoLjO07fz1ECh0ZHCeBShvF9oxdfq9g8blZGxmHL07kKZlbVNdVLtas9PR1SHbZxt8eycUh1wqt01qmZM6SGUSXYkqqPFrVyzCGFJTxbQYS8CtUTDqPtTO6xQewssxSwJ8ytUjsi3FyDX

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png