Photo

Gmmovie Dll - Extended Audio And Video Playing!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#31 Sindarin

Sindarin

Indie Game Developer

• 1644 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:15 PM

Please check out the *glitch* about video sizes in the above Post#20.

Maybe is the same as the zoom problem I have.

#32 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Member
  • 1185 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:45 AM

okay..  not anyone wants this dll for a media player, so the cursor is a minus to me
(While I was playing Resident Evil 2 [commercial game] yesterday I noticed that in videos no cursor was shown?)

When I opened a clip of Silent Hill I zoomed and zoomed in and I wasn't able to reach the main options anymore so to Play Stop n Stuff.

That the in-built Video Player of gm needs the codecs too,yes that's true.
but why then don't you make a dll that it doesn't need them,it just supports
internally mpeg,avis,wmv and any other format just like the jmod dll?

Plus I don't need the context menu when I right click on the movie.

Ah, yes a detail on your dll's version information you write:
'Gmmovie dll for Gamemaker'
I don't think anyone wants to show to people that the game was made with GM?
Isn't this one reason that people register?
(To get rid of the gm logo?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is very hard to make something that doesn't require something to already be installed on the operating system. Heck, if the user doesn't have directX, your kinda in a bind already. Most software requires that you have the pre-installed componets for it to work. Codecs are no different. If the user doesn't have the things required, they either 1, don't use the software, or 2, update so they can use the software.

This is why the thing called "minimum requirements" was created, it tells the user what they require in order to use the software. It's up to the user to have the requirements, don't limit your games based on the lowest end computers around (but don't go making your game for the highest spec computers either). Most people will have the codecs, and if not, well, they might have issues playing the GM game anyway, since GM isn't the fastest thing on older end computers anyway.

For your last note, he can put anything he want's in his version information. Also, most people I know always display (usually in the credits tho) that their product was made in GameMaker. Which they should, since a lot of credit to the completed project was cause of the hard work by Mark Overmars.

But again, I understand your point. However, just consider that most of your "clients" are probably not going to check the version information of the dll's that come with your program (let alone knowing what GameMaker is or even caring if it's made by it) You make it sound like a bad thing that you mention that your program was made using GameMaker...

Anyway,
Keep up the excellent work NintendoFreak88, on this and other dlls/projects. Now go make a DVD dll, mwahaha...ok, I guess that would be to much to ask :)

~Brandon

#33 zmaj

zmaj

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:53 AM

[quote name='Shaltif' date='Nov 5 2004, 02:48 AM']
[quote name='kio' date='Nov 4 2004, 10:14 AM']okay..  not anyone wants this dll for a media player, so the cursor is a minus to me
(While I was playing Resident Evil 2 [commercial game] yesterday I noticed that in videos no cursor was shown?)

Sorry Brandon But EVERU OS have some DirectX who comes with OS
when I say ever i did'nt think WIN98...
WinMe have DirectX-7
And so on Xp have built on DirectX 8 ,and Microsoft alredy have on site DirectX 9c
That is a fact...

I nedd dll for DivX format for GM...If you have one...

ZMAJ...

#34 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. BTW kio and such, do you have ANY idea how hard most image/sound formats are to decode? For instance, the JPGLib for C++ has about 30 files of 1000 lines each. Mabye if you can find someone with LOTS of time on their hands, but if not, then you'll just have to stick with the formats that MCI allows. :GM6:

#35 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Member
  • 1185 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:18 AM

Zmaj, maybe do a spell check next time? (that's took awhile to read, lol).

For DirectX, just update to 9.0c. The only OS that can't use the latest version of DirectX are Win95 and earlier (at least, I know Win95 can only use up to DirectX 7.1 or something like that)

But since GameMaker doesn't officially work under Win95 anyway, that's a mute point.

As for the DivX issue, just download the DivX codec. That isn't much of a big deal. Just state in the Minimum Requirements that the DivX codec is required to view video and/or have a link where people can download the codec from if they don't have it.

~Brandon

#36 zmaj

zmaj

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:22 PM

Zmaj, maybe do a spell check next time?  (that's took awhile to read, lol).

As for the DivX issue, just download the DivX codec.  That isn't much of a big deal.  Just state in the Minimum Requirements that the DivX codec is required to view video and/or have a link where people can download the codec from if they don't have it.

~Brandon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well thanks for reading this...My speling is unusefful becouse I dont know English so well...
Yes I know everuything, and i alredy have DivX codec...I dont know how to use them in GM aplication...If you know how,please share with as you knowlege...

Zmaj

#37 digitalwar

digitalwar

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:06 AM

I have a question, can you make the dll play the movie in the background, and let the user draw sprites over the playing movie ?
Is it possible in any way ? and if it is , please tell me how to do this.THAnx verry much , and I hope you can help.

#38 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 02:12 AM

No, unfortunately it isn't. That's because if the movie weren't drawn over the gm window, it would be behind it. Then, the user wouldn't even see it.

#39 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:41 PM

Actually it would be possible, IF you were able to put the video image into a BMP or JPEG file and replace a current background with that current image.

This method works very well for 3D wrappers and GM's 2D functionality to mix~! I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work here besides you not being able to get the current image of the video.

#40 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:09 AM

Well if you tell me how I could get a multi frame movie into a single background... The only way would be to take screenshots of a movie playing then draw them to the background. A process which would be extremely slow.

#41 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

Actually, I was referring to taking the image directly from video memory and replacing a background with that image each step the video is played.

Then, all you'd have to do is set that BG to the room BG and keep replacing it every step. You can play with sprites, etc on top of it, and you'd never have to worry about the player right-clicking and getting all those options, and you'd have full control over your display of the movie.

You know, something even neater would be if you could make buttons and thingies in GM and have them on top of the video and you could even interactively play a game on top of a video, kind of how they do in Final Fantasy 7 and 8.

Just food for thought... ^_^

#42 Sindarin

Sindarin

Indie Game Developer

• 1644 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

NNFreak 88, I have created an example along with Cursor Clip dll!
You can display a movie full screen, with no cursor and no right click menu!
:skull:
I will post it as soon as I can!
sorry I misunderstood your dll but it needed some second hand for doing the job right.

Still I can't find a good compression tool for avi movies... :lol:

You know, something even neater would be if you could make buttons and thingies in GM and have them on top of the video and you could even interactively play a game on top of a video, kind of how they do in Final Fantasy 7 and 8.

yep.

Edited by kio, 22 May 2005 - 03:40 PM.

#43 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

@kio http://ziplib.com/_s...download_2.html

Very nice DLL, I might use it in Scoperta Solare

#44 ColdShellProductions

ColdShellProductions

GMC Member

• 317 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

when i try to load a file it says ' the MCI device you are using does not suport the specefied command.' what do i do?

#45 Timber

Timber

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:59 PM

Most of that is over my head (i know what you're talking about, though, just couldn't join in. :skull:), however...

Can you control the initial load's coordinates? Or is that the actual problem?

If you could, just throw it way offscreen until the file is loaded (like x=0, y=30000), then have it appear in place with the proper height, width, and so on. That way it would still be doing the same thing, but elsewhere, where it wouldn't be seen.

Again, i may be misunderstanding the problems due to ignorance of the coding involved.

#46 SkaterD

SkaterD

Bloody Stick

• 108 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

It is a way cool dll. Its possible to play movies in GM (without a dll, and without using show_video). Just use
MCI_command('open file type AVIVideo alias video parent '+string(window_handle())+' style child');

The code above doesnt allow you to play a movie if the path is too long. Your dll makes it possible to play the video from anywhere. Thats what makes it so usefull.

SkaterD

#47 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:35 PM

Ok, first, don't topic bump. And secondly, i know about MCI commands and quite frankly I don't care. Thank you and have a nice day.

#48 SkaterD

SkaterD

Bloody Stick

• 108 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:36 AM

Ok, first, don't topic bump. And secondly, i know about MCI commands and quite frankly I don't care. Thank you and have a nice day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Truely I didnt realize it was a bump and I apologize for that. (I didnt look at the last post date.) You seem to have thought I was trying to down your dll. I wasnt in any way. I just wanted to tell everyone that it has been possible to do this without a dll for quite some time now, but with some limitations. I really do like your dll and appreciate that you took the time and effort of creating it.

#49 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

Truely I didnt realize it was a bump and I apologize for that. (I didnt look at the last post date.)

Oh ok don't worry about it. :P

I just wanted to tell everyone that it has been possible to do this without a dll for quite some time now, but with some limitations.

Well, some don't like it when alternatives are offered to their dll in their own topic, it can be taken as offending. Also, the MCI thing is pretty common knowlage. I plan on looking into ways to improve this in the future (like multi threading).
And if you would have read the first post:

This uses MCI so you could do it directly from Game Maker. However, I am not sure about speed imporvment but this is also easier and is well documented. Generally things with DLL's are faster so I think this could be faster but I'm not sure. Just please don't go around saying you could do most of it with MCI. If you know you can, then go make your own scripts, etc. :P

Edited by Nintendofreak88, 12 July 2005 - 11:56 AM.

#50 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

Hmmm, will it be capable of playing FLV files ever?

#51 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:15 PM

Probably not unless Microsoft adds that functionality to MCI.

#52 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

Drat. I need to find a DLL to play FLV's for my game (FLVs have awesome compression).

#53 bassman

bassman

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:43 PM

I just found this. I wanted to tell you It is exactly what I need for a few of my audio related projects. Thanks for all your work.

#54 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:49 PM

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :P

#55 bassman

bassman

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

While playing an mp2 I tried using mci commands to record a wav of the mp2 that was playing and It didnt work. Is there a reason that MCI commands dont work when GMMovie dll is being used? If so is there a workaround?

#56 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

I didn't know MCI could record to mp2... I think it can only record as wave. That's probably your problem.

#57 The_code

The_code

Coding

• 133 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:12 AM

I don't know if someone have said this already. but you should add a function to see if the loaded file is suported. //The_code

#58 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:54 PM

i just found this and am planing to use it for my media player :-) thank you for supplying this great dll

#59 3dcoder

3dcoder

GMC Member

• 278 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:21 AM

The problem is in games the drop-down menu! If I make intro with this, player can click the video with right mouse button and a menu comes up. This is stupid and also in some Windows versions, pressing arrow keys, stops the video.

Even if you set GM to hide mouse, it still comes up when you move cursor above the video!

Otherwise this is good and easy to use.

Edited by 3dcoder, 13 November 2005 - 08:24 AM.

#60 Ravotus

Ravotus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:17 PM

Please read the help file before posting stupid questions. If the last argument in GMMovie_Load is false, there will be no right click menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users