THE GMC JAM 21 DISCUSSION TOPIC
EMERGENCY SIGNATURE UPDATE!
DAY AND NIGHT OR SACRIFICE
HANDICAP : THE GAME MUST UTILIZE HUMOR AS PART OF THE GAMEPLAY OR STORYLINE
HYPE OBJECT : GIFTS
The Jam results are out!
(sorry for making you wait till Wednesday, early time-zoners )
First things first: it's been decided that people won't, in fact, be disqualified over not voting. It turned out there would be more mess than it's worth, with readjusting the rankings, dropping some best-of winner and whatnot. Admittedly, there has been better reviews quality than the last time, but that might be caused by generous rewards pool for Best Reviewer, maybe (or fewer games, or people just feeling like reviewing)? If you waited for opportunity to say "Told ya!", now might be the time. ^^'
(hope those who voted specifically not to be disqualified won't be mad?)
With that said, now for the actual results...
(honourable mention goes to Slavelings for the devlog, too)
(honourable mention goes to Misu, too)
Complete pack of medals and banners for every single participant: LINK
(in a variety of sizes, too!)
And because some people really got into the reviewing, they got medals as well!
(check the "Reviewers" directory for details; if you said at least a few sentences about most games, reviewed games particularly thoroughly and/or presented the reviews in particularly entertaining or unusual way, there should be medal for you, too!)
Full results (in text):
- KABOOM by Venomous
- There Was a Slugmen Rebellion by aamatniekss
- Dungeon Party by Revamped
- One Killer Vacation by TehPilot
- Slavelings by Nallebeorn
- CLOWN around the CLOCK by Yal
- The Adventure of Dying by ghandpivot
- KnightCycle by Lindion45
- Tomb: Raider by The M
- 6500 Ft. by nvrogers
- Dan's Narcissistic Adventure in Jam Land by GameDevDan
- Nocturnis Gressus by Alphish Games
- Metal Slug, Literally by kepons
- Daze by trg601 & moon489
- Rough Tides by DocNogloff
- Meat Quest by Otyugra
- Aztec Sacrificial Joke-Off by mr magnus
- Chasing Night by TerraFriedSheep
- Noctia the Night Witch by Floofpaws
- Guardian of Tomorrow by Team SpeedHayWeaver
- Donut Factory by RekNepZ & Snail_Man
- Crab Islands by Xor
- Atom Danmaku by Mocgames998
- Day Deer Night Deer by Forester & Ninety
- Mr Pilgrim by shadow gamer & Coldmage3
- Ninja Fight: Mega Super Ultimate Edition 2016 by Goinbatty
- The wereaxolotl and the day cycle freeze by brainstorm
- The Temple Of Lives by Nexusrex
- Bazombie by turpeluren
- A King's Atonement by MadeByJawns
- dadiomadememakethisgame by Teroil
- Lay Off The Limbs by Sezri
- LilDudes by hippyman
- Neverending Nightmare by LordDestroyer
- UNI vs SHARK by kiesenverseist
- Clewninck Darkness by Misu & Leafen
- Kill the Clowns by ericbomb988878 & ZiggyZero
- Maze of the Moon by Mercerenies
- Hurry Fastly! by AimkidProductions
- KLIK DA KLOWN! by dadio
- super reimu extreem DELUX by Floofpaws
Best use of DAY AND NIGHT: Nocturnis Gressus by Alphish Games, Rough Tides by DocNogloff
Best use of SACRIFICE: Slavelings by Nallebeorn
Best use of Handicap: Dan's Narcissistic Adventure in Jam Land by GameDevDan
Best use of Gift: Tomb: Raider by The M
Best Presentation: KABOOM by Venomous
Best Concept: Dungeon Party by Revamped
Best Story: Daze by trg601 & moon489
Best Devlog: Guardian of Tomorrow by Team SpeedHayWeaver (honourable mention: Slavelings by Nallebeorn)
Best Reviews: nvrogers, for really thorough and helpful feedback he provided for each game
Honourable mention: Misu, for a very neat presentation
There are medals for other voters as well! Maybe you, too?
Great Jam everyone, see you again on the GMC: Next~!
It's time to jam with other members of the community, prove your game-making skills, play some awesome games, & give & receive constructive feedback!
This fine event will run from Friday 15thof January through Sunday 17th - for a grand total of 72 hours.
For you newcomers out there, here's some handy info to get you on your way...
WHAT IS IT?
The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within a set 72 hour time period.
WHAT ISN'T IT?
The Jam is not an official YoYo Games Ltd competition, it is run by the community for the community.
WHEN IS IT?
Competition officially starts on Friday 15th (but theme voting will take place over 24 hours on Thursday). The contest is 72 hours long from...
00:00 UK time Friday 15th to 23:59 UK time Sunday 17th.
THEME & HANDICAP
- Each jam has a theme, and participants are very much encouraged to use it
- This jam has a handicap too and you are also encouraged to use it
- Using the theme is NOT obligatory, nor is using the handicap, but using either will be valued when voting and using BOTH gets extra Kudos!
- To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme pool for next Jam.
- The theme will be voted on, from a pool of 3, 24 hours before the start of the Jam.
- The hype object is revealed when the Jam topic is opened and entrants are encouraged to create funny pics around it to hype the Jam up.
- The hype object can *optionally* be included in some way in your Jam entry - but *should not* count towards scoring/voting on the games.
- All games are eligible (themed and non-themed and with or without handicap), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. Remember: non-theme games can win, but they cannot pick the next Jam's pool of 3 themes (see above).
- Voters rank all games, ultimately choosing 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as new special categories: Best use of Restrictions, Best Presentation, Best Devlog.
- It is obligatory that when voting you leave feedback about why you voted for the game(s) you chose, even if it's only a few lines to say you loved the game idea or whatever. Failure to do so may result in your votes being removed.
- In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game and please refrain from asking friends/family to do so if they are not part of this community. This has happened before and if you are found out your game may be removed from the Jam.
- Any form of cheating will result in the instant removal of your game from the jam and being blacklisted for all further community events.
- All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish to complete the game: eg. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
- You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be eligible for winning any prizes.
- Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games (or WIP) forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is only for posting games. Hosting is up to the individual user. You may also include and update a development log in your official games topic post.
- The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
- HTML5 Games are permitted, but must have direct link to downloadable .exe version posted in the Official Games Topic.
- People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
- Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)
GMC JAM 21 - New Additional Rules
- No "Installers". (it's just too messy & inconvenient for people)
- You *must* include a proper link to your game. (not just a GameJolt/Itch.io link)
- You must have a post count of at least 10 for your votes to count. (Please introduce yourself & join in on the GMC Jam discussion topic)
- You must still be active on the forums after the Jam ends for your votes to count. (No voting for a friend & then never again being involved in the community).
- 1st Place gets to choose *3* Possible Themes. (These 3 are kept secret as usual. But then in the last 24 hours before Jam starts, we all *vote* on our favorite from these 3 & the one with the most votes becomes the Theme.)
- Starting time will be precise. (Most people didn't appreciate that Jam 20 started unexpectedly early).
- Deadline time will be precise. (Anyone who submits via PM, after the deadline, will be placed in a separate folder of shame - "Late Entries" in the Jam zip, making their entry less likely to be played & more likely to be judged harshly - so *get your entry in on time*)
- Teams will be restricted to a maximum of *3* persons. (Some teams were *very* large in Jam 20. Large team sizes are reducing the total game entry count too much. A maximum of 3 lets each person shine more).
- Voting period will be 2 weeks. (As it was for most Jams. 3 weeks just hasn't worked as intended, for *most* people it just meant more procrastination before rushing to review & vote in the final few days. And it badly effects the "hype" of the Jam (the longer it takes for results, the less people care).
- Tone will be more serious. (Many people were put off by the random, annoying way I revealed the Theme. That won't happen again. Jam Logo & presentation will be more serious, in an attempt to draw in more people & raise the standard of the Jam. I won't push local memes that could alienate new people - too many people were wondering what my face had to do with anything in Jam 20 for example). We'll still keep it "fun" - just not crazy, random "fun".
- If you want to place, you must vote. (Votes for your entry will be removed from the result tally, unless you yourself have cast at least your top 3 votes).
- In the case of teams, just 1 member of the team is required to cast their vote. (So teams are not at a disadvantage).
- Vote tallying system will be 1/vote +m.
- You are strongly encouraged to review & vote for as many games as you can within the given timeframe.
- "Best Reviewer" & "Best Devblog" will be chosen after voting ends, by a team of 3 Mods.
- Top three places - All get bragging rights (obviously), a banner, and entry into the hall of fame topic.
- 1st Place - Gets to choose the next pool of 3 themes, as long as their game fit the theme this time around
- 2nd Place - Gets to choose the next handicap, as long as their game used the handicap this time around
- 3rd Place - Gets to choose the hype object for the next jam
Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. eg: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube...anything!
COMMUNITY PRIZE LIST
These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. Donate your time/experience/whatever to this community endeavour! If you wish to add a community prize (game reviews, advertising etc...) please send a PM to me and I will add it to this post.
Please do not post your community prize in this topic as we may not see it!
Try not to let all of the prizes dominate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
You may choose who gets your prize including: competitors, reviewers, winners of specific categories, or even the best development log!
JAM 20 PRIZE LIST
dadio is offering:
- Best Reviewer will get a YoYoGames yoyo, a YoYoGames mug, & £20 worth of Steam games of their choice.
- 1st place will get X & £5 worth of Steam games of their choice.
- 2nd place will get x & a Steam game.
- 3rd place will get x.
- All entries will get early access to my "top secret" new game & full commercial rights to all my fonts released to date.
Yal is offering:
All entries/valid entrants gets a platformer tileset, size 16x16 pixelart, with at least 4x4 tiles of a biome/theme of their choice. (Full commercial rights!)
1st place and best reviewer gets a copy of all resource packs I've released on Itch.io as of 2015-01-20, all in all 6 different ones.
2nd to 5th place gets a copy of my Chiptune Pack #2 with almost 60 chiptunes in it.
Diptoman is offering:
(One of) the following games on Steam: Overlord, Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Tulpa, Asphyxia - to 1st/2nd/3rd/best reviewer. They will pick a game in order 1st - 2nd - 3rd - best reviewer.
aamatniekss is offering:
Best Reviewer - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Square Enix, Steam key, Murdered: Soul Suspect - Steam Key, Magicka - Steam Key, Contagion - Steam Key, There Was A Caveman - Steam key
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut
For 1st through 6th places, which 1st place getting first pick, and so on down the line.
6th place will get a full review of their game in video format on my channel.
I'm having so much fun playing the games so I want to add some more prizes if it's possible. :D
- All entries will get all the sound assets created for my game. (Dungeon Party)
- Even entries will get a pack with some unused songs I've made.
- Odd entries will get a pack with all the sound effects I've made.
Full rights to use in commercial projects of everything of course.
LOOKING FOR A TEAM
If you are looking for a team mate or wish to be part of a random team, PM me to add your name below:
Mob_Mauler (beginner level programmer) is looking for a team!
PenguinPingo would like to be on a team!
Sammi3 is looking for a team!
EMERGENCY SIGNATURE UPDATE!
Please add a support banner to your forum signature to support Jam awareness!
Use the hashtag #GMCJam21 to generate interest on Twitter!
Edited by dadio, 10 February 2016 - 11:59 AM.