#1 Berick

Berick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:06 AM

CxulpGq.png?1

Lost tomb was made in 48 hours for Asylum Jam 2015. It's a first person, procedurally generated 3D adventure / horror game where you're dropped in an Egyptian tomb and have to explore the dark to find your way out. There are puzzles, traps, and an ancient force that does not appreciate unwelcome guests.

There are 4 ankhs hidden around the tomb. You have to find them all to unlock the exit and escape.

zlSixgj.png?1

SEIv8I7.png?1    nKpk9ro.png?1

Now that the jam is over, we're considering expanding on the concept and turning it into a full game. We're hoping to get some good feedback on the existing mechanics to help us refine things for the sequel.

Download on GameMaker Player (12mb)

Download on GameJolt (12mb)

Download on Itch.io (12mb)

Bonus feedback incentive: I like to do let's plays / critiques so if you have a game you'd like me to check out PM me and I'll make a vid for you!

There are no limits for those that see no limits

ICZpW03.png

http://berickcook.itch.io

#2 Coded Games

Coded Games

Coding Games

• GMC Member
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

Unfortunately can't try it right now but the concept sounds really cool. Definitely would be interesting seeing a full game like this.

5fp16p.jpg 14wtuh.jpg 33zd4q8.jpg 2drb2g2.jpg

#3 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

Yes, the jumping is indeed too hard, I wouldn't suggest using the shift key for running.

At least, make it possible to jump over the edge without needing to sprint.

Apart from that, the graphics were alright. The fire doesn't appear with the use of alpha,

some objects seem to be placeholder (billboards), and the enemy too.

As for gameplay, just need to fix the jumping thing. Aside from that, it's fun, scared the cr@p out of me because I didn't expect any enemy appearing.

#4 Berick

Berick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the support Beebob! Hope you get to try it.

Thanks Alvare, that's helpful! Glad you liked it.

• It is possible to make the jumps without sprinting, it's just pretty difficult to do so. We're highly considering eliminating sprint all together, which would mean making the jump easier.
  • What do you mean the fire doesn't appear with the use of alpha?
  • The billboard style is intentional to give it a retro "Doom" feel. Does the inclusion of some basic models (levers for example) clash too much?

ICZpW03.png

#5 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

It is possible to make the jumps without sprinting, it's just pretty difficult to do so. We're highly considering eliminating sprint all together, which would mean making the jump easier.

That's a good idea. :)

What do you mean the fire doesn't appear with the use of alpha?

The fire from the torch gradually fades, but it doesn't gradually appear. It pops as it's being spawned.

The billboard style is intentional to give it a retro "Doom" feel. Does the inclusion of some basic models (levers for example) clash too much?

Yes, because the player can look down to see it's all just a flat paper plane turned to the player. You could try to limit that view capability.

Edited by Alvare, 20 November 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#6 Berick

Berick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

Ah, I understand about the fire now. Easy fix :)

Hmm... I see what you mean. Some of the future puzzles may require the ability to look up and down though. And if we replace the sprites with models, then the enemy would look way out of place... We'll have to think on that...

ICZpW03.png

#7 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

Ah, I understand about the fire now. Easy fix :)

Hmm... I see what you mean. Some of the future puzzles may require the ability to look up and down though. And if we replace the sprites with models, then the enemy would look way out of place... We'll have to think on that...

The enemy would about just be as much out of place as the main characters hand+torch. But that's an easy fix too. You could make an static 3D model, and delay it slightly moving with the camera projection.

Look around the web for a 3D arm and hands resource. Mostly ripped from other games, you could rig it to your liking and put a skyrim torch in the hand, viola, done. :P

As for the enemy, yes, the design is very specific. Perhaps you've made a good reference image for a talented 3D artist. So it could be modeled by someone.

Edited by Alvare, 20 November 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#8 Berick

Berick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:15 AM

The problem with replacing everything with models is that we lose the retro feel that we love. So we're going to keep the sprites, but make another set of top-down sprites to display when looking down at objects. That should help counter the "billboard" effect.

ICZpW03.png

#9 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:01 PM

i think the gravity should be a lot lower, jumping on those blocks is pretty hard.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#10 roa

roa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1042 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

I can't believe I actually jumped at a game maker game XD 10/10 for that alone.

I nearly blacked out, not even kidding. I was just running around not even expecting anything even remotely scary or worth a second glance. I starting sprinting around and hear some sounds, turn down one of the halls and BAM sound queue and some figure that I'm running full tilt at. My stomach turned and I slammed the esc key before even fully seeing what it was.  All the sudden I have a slow cartoon animated mummy clamoring towards me as the screen fades out, and the game closes. There is no reason I should have responded like that, but I did. I guess it was the combination of no sleep and the sound queue did it for me lol

Reminds me of The Mummy film license game on playstation 1

EDIT

Also, the places you have to duck...well, you don't have to duck much. You can crouch and then jump and see outside the map.

Edited by roa, 18 December 2015 - 01:02 PM.

It's been a great time being here with you all. Couldn't ask for a better group of people on a community forum. Hope to see you guys stick around for the new board. Cheers! :thanks:

#11 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

This could be a great VR game!

Please check out Rogue Harvest on Steam: http://store.steampo....com/app/409490

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

Thanks x1000 for any & all support!  :bunny: 

#12 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1404 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:50 AM

Scared the absolute bejeezus out of me. Very tense, good atmosphere, passable graphics.

I ended up getting annoyed that there was no way at all to kill the enemies. I feel like they should despawn if they are far away or something. I ended up cornered and there was simply nothing I could do.

#13 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

I must play this right now. 

I played it.

Died four times. 

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D