#1 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

Title_2.gif

I would like to share my work so far on my latest (only) game so far for some feedback. So please post away with your thoughts! Also if you wish to follow this project hit the follow topic button at the top there ^  :)

I also will give a rep point to anyone who plays the game and posts some feedback or a comment here as a thank you.

My ambition for this game was to be created in a similar way to the older GBA pokemon and (if anyone can remember) Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals on SNES. These were my two most favorite games growing up and I must have played them dozens of times.

Please vote for us on Steam Greenlight! 

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=634524125

Let's play Video

More Let's play Videos

Spoiler

Story

Narvas 13 is an RPG/Adventure/Sci-fi game where you play as Mace Carter a Machine and circuitry engineer who travels through the vastness of the galaxy.

The game is designed to resemble some of the most famous nostalgic games to ever emerge such as Pokémon, The legend of Zelda, Lufia and even Final Fantasy.

Your objective is to search and find missing ships and bases for parts, supplies and survivors. Each ship you find in the solar system, you must retrieve the ships starlog and report back to the nearest space station with it.

It is your goal to find more and more information about the missing mother ship 'NARVAS 13'

Story Spoiler:

Spoiler

Main Theme Music

Click here to listen to the Narvas 13 Main Theme Music

Updates

Spoiler

Screenshots NEW!

Spoiler

Screenshots OLD!

Spoiler

Controls: UPDATED!
Movement - WSAD
Inventory - I
Summon Toby - T (Only when outside of your ship)
Cancel Toby - C
Action/Talk - Z
Draw Weapon - E
Holster Weapon - F

Shoot - ALT or LEFT MOUSE
Strafe - SHIFT Hold or RIGHT MOUSE Hold
Controls - F1
Reset Game - F12
End Game - ESC

Download 
It's only part of a level I didn't want to give away the intro of the game so it is basically set after the intro. Also please if you can let me know of any bugs if any
it would be extremely appreciated 

Indie db Downloadpage:   93528.png
P.S If anyone is geeky enough to find any sci-fi/other game related easter eggs please leave a post of what the easter egg is and where it's from.

(And for the Lazy people)
Easter Egg Spoilers:

Spoiler

Edited by strangastudios, 21 March 2016 - 05:50 AM.

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

#2 hydro222

hydro222

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Download link dose not seem to be working for me but from what i can see i love concept.

#3 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

Download link dose not seem to be working for me but from what i can see i love concept.

Hey thanks for the feedback sorry about the link I will fix when I get home after work

Edited by strangastudios, 07 December 2015 - 10:44 PM.

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

#4 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

Why is it an installer instead of a straight exe? That will really kill your playcount (probably).

Game looks really nice! Artwork is good, I can tell you put in some effort. HUD is pretty nice too. I'll be watching to see how this develops.

#5 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:18 AM

Why is it an installer instead of a straight exe? That will really kill your playcount (probably).

Game looks really nice! Artwork is good, I can tell you put in some effort. HUD is pretty nice too. I'll be watching to see how this develops.

Sorry about that. This is my first time ever doing this I will make and .exe download tonight. But thanks for the feedback I have been working on it for 4 months now

Edited by strangastudios, 07 December 2015 - 10:41 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#6 magicweapon

magicweapon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:31 AM

looks awesome :D

#7 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:04 AM

looks awesome :D

Edited by strangastudios, 07 December 2015 - 10:42 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#8 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:19 AM

The dowload link has been fixed no need to install just click and play

P.S if the link still doesn't work for some people please let me know and I will fix it

Edited by strangastudios, 20 November 2015 - 04:22 AM.

new_sig.jpg

#9 omar_almighty

omar_almighty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:07 AM

I like the atmosphere a lot! The controls for movement feel very clunky, however, mainly because of collision issues. Also, sometimes it felt like the keys got stuck and I couldn't change directions. Other than a few minor bugs, seems pretty cool!

sprite370.png

Try out my alpha here! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gmc.yoyogames...10#entry4904774

Check it out on Game Jolt!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gamejolt.com/...pancakes/120634

Check out a FREE older project on the Play Store >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://play.google....ghostpoke&hl=en

Follow me on Twitter :) https://twitter.com/omar_almighty

#10 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

Your game is pretty interesting there. I just tried it tonight and your graphics are generally pleasing + the theme is attractive. 

There are things however that absolutely need to be improved in my opinion so people can truly enjoy the game: 

Controls choice.

- They don't feel good as they should. Per example, moving with WASD is perfect fine, but "action/talk" on Z doesn't work Its not comfortable, I always leave to move my hand out of the directions. Spacebar would have been more convenient per example, since my thumb is already on that key and ready to press it when I am moving around with WASD. 

- Try to find a style of controls and stick with it. At first I thought that would be a game that would control with the keyboard only but then I realised shooting and strafing is with the mouse. Try and have all you main controls accessible with my left hand near WASD and the righ hand with the mouse. Per example, I could move around with WASD and all the action/talking could be done with a left click of the mouse. That would be more intuitive and would ready the player to use the mouse already. Also, how do you plan to aim in the game? You might want ONE aiming system that both serves attacking and interacting. The mouse could even do you movement if need be. Long story short, there are multiple ways to achieve good controls. They mostly need to be comfortable and intuitive. Making our hands move as less as possible. You might want to also give a key configuration option, its always a good option to have although not mandatory. 

- Have the controls as friendly as possible. Right now one thing I am not particularly fond of is your game not taking into account I am pressing more than one direction key. Let's say when I want to go around some stuff or crates, lets say you press left WHILE moving because your going around something while threading up in the room. I would love to be able to do that really. No need to move diagonally, just taking into account at least 2 direction keys at once. Well, moving diagonally would also feel damn good you know. and would make the game feel much more fluid in general.

Collisions

Right now its a very apparent problem. There are annoying aspects and also some unconsistent aspects of it that should get improved. When I cross those sliding doors for instance, its too easy to get stuck on it. Its not cool to have to perfectly center the player so it can actually pass through. When the door is open, it honestly shouldn't have any collision. I also had a hard time with Toby. Its easy to get stuck on the player if you move Toby to its side.Since the areas in which one can call Toby aren't visibly evident,  I obviously tried to use Toby with my player standing near the hole and hoooooolycrap it was hard to get Toby in there. In fact I couldn't, I have to move my player much away and then call it. This doesn't "feel" good.  

Some stuff about your collision is unconsistent. Sometimes you see sort of a crate and you think you will block on it but you pass right through. Sometimes you block on some other type of crate. Those green crates, sometimes you see that the character doesn't touch them but I block on them anyways. All those sorts of things. Make it one rule for all. Do I block on crate? I should therefore block on ALL crates. Same with interacting with objects. Sometimes you can interact with a character and sometimes not. Sometimes you can interact with the soda machine and sometimes not. Have definite clear and consistent rules. Its very important for your game to not feel clunky or amateur in that regard. The player unconciously understand all of those details and the brain remember all the rules and becomes at ease with interacting, colliding, etc. It makes the game feel intuitive after that because it makes the brain feel it makes sense. 

All in all, I love the game so far. Don't get me wrong, I see alot of potential in there and I'll follow its devellopment. Your pixel art is also very good. But the next thing to pay attention I think really lies in 3 things: 

- Making the controls better and more intuitive

- Making collision better and more consistent (and please don't make Toby collide with the player...)

- Make it evident and intuitive how the player navigates and interact with your environnement. 

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#11 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

Your game is pretty interesting there. I just tried it tonight and your graphics are generally pleasing + the theme is attractive. 

There are things however that absolutely need to be improved in my opinion so people can truly enjoy the game: 

Controls choice.

- They don't feel good as they should. Per example, moving with WASD is perfect fine, but "action/talk" on Z doesn't work Its not comfortable, I always leave to move my hand out of the directions. Spacebar would have been more convenient per example, since my thumb is already on that key and ready to press it when I am moving around with WASD. 

- Try to find a style of controls and stick with it. At first I thought that would be a game that would control with the keyboard only but then I realised shooting and strafing is with the mouse. Try and have all you main controls accessible with my left hand near WASD and the righ hand with the mouse. Per example, I could move around with WASD and all the action/talking could be done with a left click of the mouse. That would be more intuitive and would ready the player to use the mouse already. Also, how do you plan to aim in the game? You might want ONE aiming system that both serves attacking and interacting. The mouse could even do you movement if need be. Long story short, there are multiple ways to achieve good controls. They mostly need to be comfortable and intuitive. Making our hands move as less as possible. You might want to also give a key configuration option, its always a good option to have although not mandatory. 

- Have the controls as friendly as possible. Right now one thing I am not particularly fond of is your game not taking into account I am pressing more than one direction key. Let's say when I want to go around some stuff or crates, lets say you press left WHILE moving because your going around something while threading up in the room. I would love to be able to do that really. No need to move diagonally, just taking into account at least 2 direction keys at once. Well, moving diagonally would also feel damn good you know. and would make the game feel much more fluid in general.

Collisions

Right now its a very apparent problem. There are annoying aspects and also some unconsistent aspects of it that should get improved. When I cross those sliding doors for instance, its too easy to get stuck on it. Its not cool to have to perfectly center the player so it can actually pass through. When the door is open, it honestly shouldn't have any collision. I also had a hard time with Toby. Its easy to get stuck on the player if you move Toby to its side.Since the areas in which one can call Toby aren't visibly evident,  I obviously tried to use Toby with my player standing near the hole and hoooooolycrap it was hard to get Toby in there. In fact I couldn't, I have to move my player much away and then call it. This doesn't "feel" good.  

Some stuff about your collision is unconsistent. Sometimes you see sort of a crate and you think you will block on it but you pass right through. Sometimes you block on some other type of crate. Those green crates, sometimes you see that the character doesn't touch them but I block on them anyways. All those sorts of things. Make it one rule for all. Do I block on crate? I should therefore block on ALL crates. Same with interacting with objects. Sometimes you can interact with a character and sometimes not. Sometimes you can interact with the soda machine and sometimes not. Have definite clear and consistent rules. Its very important for your game to not feel clunky or amateur in that regard. The player unconciously understand all of those details and the brain remember all the rules and becomes at ease with interacting, colliding, etc. It makes the game feel intuitive after that because it makes the brain feel it makes sense. 

All in all, I love the game so far. Don't get me wrong, I see alot of potential in there and I'll follow its devellopment. Your pixel art is also very good. But the next thing to pay attention I think really lies in 3 things: 

- Making the controls better and more intuitive

- Making collision better and more consistent (and please don't make Toby collide with the player...)

- Make it evident and intuitive how the player navigates and interact with your environnement. 

I like the atmosphere a lot! The controls for movement feel very clunky, however, mainly because of collision issues. Also, sometimes it felt like the keys got stuck and I couldn't change directions. Other than a few minor bugs, seems pretty cool!

Thank you both for the in depth feedback. I apologize for the sloppy controls and collisions, I need to find a comfortable way with the controls initially I was planning the game for console so it would be played with a controller, but that is a far fetched dream.I do like RangerX's idea with using the mouse key as an all over action key I did however plan on having only the movement on keyboard and everything else on the mouse I will have to experiment. I also actually want to make a 8 direction walk system because my walk or should I say move code is actually in a switch case It limited me to only move in 4 directions because it also controls my global direction and sprite images as well.

With the dialog on the NPCs and misc dialogue (i.e. soda machine) how I was trying to implement my code was you had to be facing and almost touching the object to activate the dialogue. It was an extreme pain in my butt to make this system and thanks for pointing that out. This problem lies within my collisions which all my collisions are made with sort of like red areas than objects if that makes sense.

This is what they look like:

collisions.PNG

This may be the problem with my collisions but I have no other way I could approach this because nearly all of the graphics are in a sprite sheet I may have to change them to objects if I have no alternative. Also the problem with the doors they are actually are a solid object which I noticed the doors at the start don't actually open all the way I think it animation is not stopping on the very last frame but on the one before it.

Thanks again both of you for giving me honest feedback I will get to work and use this to improve my game. :)

Edited by strangastudios, 23 November 2015 - 02:13 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#12 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

You should simply have a collision object. And you place it where need and stretch it to suits the environnement needs. Or you could develop a tile collision system. 

Per example in my game I have 2 collision objects, one for ground and one for walls. But since there's no walling in your game you could do with only one object. 

Collision_zpskrjkei3k.jpg

Do I have those 2 objects and I stretch them if need be and they also deactivate when offscreen so they don't crawl the performance of my game. 

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#13 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

You should simply have a collision object. And you place it where need and stretch it to suits the environnement needs. Or you could develop a tile collision system. 

Per example in my game I have 2 collision objects, one for ground and one for walls. But since there's no walling in your game you could do with only one object. 

Collision_zpskrjkei3k.jpg

Do I have those 2 objects and I stretch them if need be and they also deactivate when offscreen so they don't crawl the performance of my game.

It looks like I will have to although im not sure if giving directional movement would help but I will give your idea a try and I also like the idea of deactivating all instances out side the view I will look into that!

new_sig.jpg

#14 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:15 AM

I apologize for not posting an update in a while I just got Fallout 4 last week so yeah....sorry...but I have had tge chance to update the controls and hopefully by next week you will be able to test the alpha with a ps4 controller if you have one but I mainly will be moving all controls to keyboard and I will post the new donload later today....hopefully

new_sig.jpg

#15 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

UPDATED!

Check original post as well

Updates:

• Controls are all keyboard (see first post)
  • new dialogue icons
  • ship teleporter (found in star mapper room)

DOWNLOAD: http://www.indiedb.c...as-13/downloads

Ok so I fixed some things and added new content (just a teleporter and new dialog system).

Let me know what you guys think now.

Edited by strangastudios, 15 December 2015 - 02:06 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#16 Lindion45

Lindion45

Scared of the Ducks

• GMC Member
  • 1554 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

• Make it so I can walk two directions at once!
  • I can't get past the robot without losing basically all my health
  • Please make it so that the first aid kit by my bed restores health! 
  • I'd like to be able to skip the dialogue animation by pressing space, (I read faster than it appears) but at the moment it just skips to the next message!
  • Door animations are really cool!
  • The red on the fencing is a bit intense, I think the colour palette overall needs a bit of a rethink though :3
  • Toby gets stuck in walls
  • You can still talk to people with the character, whilst controlling toby.

UzQSAz6.pngXhTycnt.png

#17 gulden

gulden

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hey, I gave your game a play and I quite like it so far:

• door animations are really cool
  • maybe consider being able to walk diagonal?
  • I'm not a big fan of sceen-shaking. in a later version I would like to have an option where I can disable it
  • the shot speed is quite fast, would reduce it a bit
  • I think action/talk on Z feels strange. I'm used from other games, that its on E or R
  • I like the pixel style, reminds me a bit of pokemon (which I quite like) :)

#18 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

• Make it so I can walk two directions at once!
  • I can't get past the robot without losing basically all my health
  • Please make it so that the first aid kit by my bed restores health! 
  • I'd like to be able to skip the dialogue animation by pressing space, (I read faster than it appears) but at the moment it just skips to the next message!
  • Door animations are really cool!
  • The red on the fencing is a bit intense, I think the colour palette overall needs a bit of a rethink though :3
  • Toby gets stuck in walls
  • You can still talk to people with the character, whilst controlling toby.
Holy crap that robot was not supposed to be in the first room.

Im working on a better collision code for toby and I will fix the text skipping. Also the z key thing in the next update will be replaced by space. And im only experimenting with the shake. I will put an updat in a day and let me know what you think then.

Thank you for your feedback as well I really appreciate it :)

new_sig.jpg

#19 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:09 AM

<p>

Hey, I gave your game a play and I quite like it so far:

• door animations are really cool
  • maybe consider being able to walk diagonal?
  • I'm not a big fan of sceen-shaking. in a later version I would like to have an option where I can disable it
  • the shot speed is quite fast, would reduce it a bit
  • I think action/talk on Z feels strange. I'm used from other games, that its on E or R
  • I like the pixel style, reminds me a bit of pokemon (which I quite like) :)

Hey thanks for the feedback! :)

I have tried the diagonal movement I really wanted the pokemon feel but I am reconsidering it because of the amount of collisions.

Sorry about the screenshake it was a test. It supposed to be used for the elevator but I tried it with the explosions as well.

I must have a previous download because the z key was swapped with the space key but im still experimenting with the layoit (if you have any suggestions i am willing to try) I will post an update soon but still thank uou for your feedback :)

new_sig.jpg

#20 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:55 AM

UPDATED!
12 December 2015 

Updates:

• Move diagonally with Mace and Toby
  • Bug fixed where dialogue still continues when using Toby
  • Robot Exploding Enemies 
  • Some collision issues fixed

DOWNLOAD: http://www.indiedb.c...games/downloads

Edited by strangastudios, 15 December 2015 - 02:06 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#21 samglo

samglo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

The game wont run for me, i go to open the exe in the folder and it opens the closes straight out with no error or anything.

Best signature ever:D

#22 gulden

gulden

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hey I played the last version!

I really like the diagonal movement, makes it much easier to walk around!

One thing I noticed, if I press "G" i get:

for object obj_player_mace:

############################################################################################
VMError!! Occurred - Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -6.maxItems(100003, 0)
 at gml_Script_scr_itemdrop (line -1) - <unknown source line>
############################################################################################
Self Variables : 
key_call(100032) = 0
keyleft(100035) = 0
keyright(100036) = 0
keyup(100037) = 0
keydown(100038) = 0
strafe(100042) = 0
ssprite(100044) = { { 71 ,74 ,74 ,74 ,72 ,73 ,73 ,73},   }
key_gun(100045) = 0
key_holst(100046) = 0
key_shoot(100047) = 0
key_strafe(100048) = 0
i(100000) = 0
Global Variables : 
toby(100034) = 0
charge(100039) = 30
spacesuit(100040) = 0
direction(8) = 270
torch(100041) = 0
gun(100043) = 0
door(100062) = 0
armour(100063) = 100
shake(100064) = 0
pause(100065) = 0
maxInvSlots(100001) = 7
tutorial(100066) = 0
inventory(100002) = { { },  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},   }
key(100073) = 0
player(100010) = 0
text(100012) = 0
light(100077) = 1
move(100014) = 1
mission(100016) = 0
hp(100022) = 10
dir(100023) = 0
items(100024) = { { 8 ,"Starlog" ,1},  { 4 ,"Kryten Keycard" ,2},  { 8 ,"This is a test3" ,3},   }
hit(100027) = 0
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_itemdrop (line 0)
called from - gml_Object_obj_player_mace_KeyPress_71 (line -1) - <unknown source line>

#23 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

The game wont run for me, i go to open the exe in the folder and it opens the closes straight out with no error or anything.

Im sorry about that I will post a new downloadby tomorrow

Also try and extract it and let me know if it works or not

Hey I played the last version!
I really like the diagonal movement, makes it much easier to walk around!

One thing I noticed, if I press "G" i get:

for object obj_player_mace:

VMError!! Occurred - Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -6.maxItems(100003, 0)
 at gml_Script_scr_itemdrop (line -1) - <unknown source line>
Self Variables : 
key_call(100032) = 0
keyleft(100035) = 0
keyright(100036) = 0
keyup(100037) = 0
keydown(100038) = 0
strafe(100042) = 0
ssprite(100044) = { { 71 ,74 ,74 ,74 ,72 ,73 ,73 ,73},   }
key_gun(100045) = 0
key_holst(100046) = 0
key_shoot(100047) = 0
key_strafe(100048) = 0
i(100000) = 0
Global Variables : 
toby(100034) = 0
charge(100039) = 30
spacesuit(100040) = 0
direction(8) = 270
torch(100041) = 0
gun(100043) = 0
door(100062) = 0
armour(100063) = 100
shake(100064) = 0
pause(100065) = 0
maxInvSlots(100001) = 7
tutorial(100066) = 0
inventory(100002) = { { },  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},  { ""},   }
key(100073) = 0
player(100010) = 0
text(100012) = 0
light(100077) = 1
move(100014) = 1
mission(100016) = 0
hp(100022) = 10
dir(100023) = 0
items(100024) = { { 8 ,"Starlog" ,1},  { 4 ,"Kryten Keycard" ,2},  { 8 ,"This is a test3" ,3},   }
hit(100027) = 0
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_itemdrop (line 0)
called from - gml_Object_obj_player_mace_KeyPress_71 (line -1) - <unknown source line>

I know what that is! Sorry I should have fixed that. Its the old key card system I was going to use. 'G' shouldnt do anything.

Also im glad you like the new movement system I do to now :)

Edited by strangastudios, 11 December 2015 - 02:35 AM.

new_sig.jpg

#24 juanchacon99

juanchacon99

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:42 PM

Looks like a preety good game, i will download it c:

Playing games till the end...

#25 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

Looks like a preety good game, i will download it c:

Thanks! :) please let me know what you think of it.

new_sig.jpg

#26 ericbomb988878

ericbomb988878

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:44 AM

I love where you're going with the atmosphere. What kind of background music do you think you'll have? 

When I was young I wanted there to be a game like Pokemon but had combat like Super smash brothers.... Never found one. So now I'm making my own http://gmc.yoyogames...86#entry4910159

#27 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

I love where you're going with the atmosphere. What kind of background music do you think you'll have? 

Thanks and im not sure yet I was thinking a cross between fallout music and mass effect. Im also a music producer so it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them :)

new_sig.jpg

#28 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

UPDATED!

Updates:
  • New inventory system with selective items!
DOWNLOAD: http://www.indiedb.c...as-13/downloads

Ok so I fixed some things and added new content.

Edited by strangastudios, 03 January 2016 - 08:20 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#29 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

UPDATE!

Updates:

• Change Space Suit/Armour
  • Shop system
  • Fixed tile maps more room to move on levels.

I wont be adding any new download updates for now until i get a little more work dont but I will be uploading screenshots of my progress.

Edited by strangastudios, 02 January 2016 - 03:36 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#30 gulden

gulden

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hey,

I played your latest demo, version 9. Good progress! A few points:

• When I click on "Q" it exits the game. Sadly, it happend a few times accidently, because it's so close to "WASD", maybe add a popup which you have to agree to, or move it to another key
  • I think you could also have your game name logo in the main menu :)
  • When I shoot there seems to be a short delay, until I see the laser. It seems a bit unresponsive
  • you could add some explanation mark or sth. at the characters you can speak with. It gets a bit frustrating, if you try to speak with s.o. but he doesn't answer :)

#31 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

<p>

Hey,

I played your latest demo, version 9. Good progress! A few points:

• When I click on "Q" it exits the game. Sadly, it happend a few times accidently, because it's so close to "WASD", maybe add a popup which you have to agree to, or move it to another key
  • I think you could also have your game name logo in the main menu :)
  • When I shoot there seems to be a short delay, until I see the laser. It seems a bit unresponsive
  • you could add some explanation mark or sth. at the characters you can speak with. It gets a bit frustrating, if you try to speak with s.o. but he doesn't answer :)

Thanks for your feedback and giving it a go! :)

I have sorted the lasers out for the next update and i actually did just yesterday make a little speech bubble icon over the npcs thing is though i cant make it for all speech even the pop up bubble when you get near a npc because there would be little icons all over the screen. I have to research into other rpg's on this.

And yes lol i do need the logo in the menu im working on a bg animation for the menu screen.

Thanks again :)

new_sig.jpg

#32 FROGANUS

FROGANUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:38 AM

Good job so far! Played v9.
I like the style- a dynamic play between kewl/kewt poke-pixel characters and a darker scifi (alien/metroid/etc) background.

I agree with some pointers already made: clipping could be smoothed out a bit. Seems like half of the time when i hit a wall and try to turn to the side and walk I have to let go of the last button or I get stuck, seems odd. Also I feel the player should always face direction when you try to move even if he doesnt/cant move. Control configuration could maybe be 'minimized' too as noted(ie gun drawing/holstering/strafing etc seems a little tedious/cumbersome). I guess you're already working on some of these things.

I'm kinda fascinated with the overall story/concept and how this demo sequence of gameplay will fit into the whole game. I like the synopsis. I guess these ships you have to track down are like mysterious eerie dungeons in a sense. I guess you said an intro will set up the story or some background of what's going on but, where are we in this level? is this our home spaceship? and the next area is straight to one of the abandoned ships? I'm wondering how you'll show transportation through space, portrayal of different ships, will there be landing/docking, terrain, etc. Maybe as a simple first step, a simple HUD listing what area you're at?

Curious to see where it goes. Keep it up!
-FROGANUS

-FROGANUS

#33 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:19 AM

Good job so far! Played v9.
I like the style- a dynamic play between kewl/kewt poke-pixel characters and a darker scifi (alien/metroid/etc) background.

I agree with some pointers already made: clipping could be smoothed out a bit. Seems like half of the time when i hit a wall and try to turn to the side and walk I have to let go of the last button or I get stuck, seems odd. Also I feel the player should always face direction when you try to move even if he doesnt/cant move. Control configuration could maybe be 'minimized' too as noted(ie gun drawing/holstering/strafing etc seems a little tedious/cumbersome). I guess you're already working on some of these things.

I'm kinda fascinated with the overall story/concept and how this demo sequence of gameplay will fit into the whole game. I like the synopsis. I guess these ships you have to track down are like mysterious eerie dungeons in a sense. I guess you said an intro will set up the story or some background of what's going on but, where are we in this level? is this our home spaceship? and the next area is straight to one of the abandoned ships? I'm wondering how you'll show transportation through space, portrayal of different ships, will there be landing/docking, terrain, etc. Maybe as a simple first step, a simple HUD listing what area you're at?

Curious to see where it goes. Keep it up!
-FROGANUS

Thanks for your feedback!

I've been having problems with the collision from day 1, its been a real pain in the neck with everything. The story is set up but i do not wish to spoil it for anyone lol. The reason the transfer between the two ships is only until i can make some sort of cutscene/possible small playable ship on a galxy map sorta thing. I understand that alot of this may not make sense just yet but i have a set date for the demo to be released by the end of February (I hope) which will explain more. I also have some terrains and locations in the works besides the ships themselves I will try to make it an interesting adventure :)

Edited by strangastudios, 30 December 2015 - 04:21 AM.

new_sig.jpg

#34 lovareth.dev

lovareth.dev

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

This game is great!

-cool pixel graphic/sprite.

-even the sprite animation is magnificient.

-stylish and futuristic HUD

-there is no sound effect, but i'm expecting that since it still in alpha version ^_^

-my character stuck on wall while searching for power generator, most possibly collision problem as the game doesn't hang.

Good job and keep it up!

oY3uM7l.pngIce Cream Dream

#35 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

This game is great!
-cool pixel graphic/sprite.
-even the sprite animation is magnificient.
-stylish and futuristic HUD
-there is no sound effect, but i'm expecting that since it still in alpha version ^_^
-my character stuck on wall while searching for power generator, most possibly collision problem as the game doesn't hang.

Good job and keep it up!

Thanks for giving it a go! :)

I think I still have an older alpha up. I will be updating the alpha real soon like in a few hours if you want to try again but 
thanks again for the feedback. :)

UPDATED!

Updates:
  • Improved movement and collision for both Mace and Toby
  • Equip key-cards from inventory
  • One key toggles gun 
  • Only strafe when gun is out

Version 14

Edited by strangastudios, 03 January 2016 - 08:22 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#36 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

UPDATED!

Updates:

• New message system
  • Save and Load Game!
  • Enemy alert system 

Version 15

Screenshots:

Spoiler

new_sig.jpg

#37 kangaroodev

kangaroodev

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:06 AM

Looks neat, I love sci fi games so I have to try this, I'll report back on it

Etheria Offline:

BLOG link  Thread Link IndieDB link

etheriasig.png

#38 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:36 AM

Looks neat, I love sci fi games so I have to try this, I'll report back on it

Thanks I look forward to your feedback :)

new_sig.jpg

#39 kangaroodev

kangaroodev

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Tried the game, I like the interface, and the door animations look really nice. I got into the generator room with the robot and I'm too dumb to figure out how to start it now, so I'll try again later.

I also encountered a bug I guess, after going to the menu from the game by pressing M and loading, it was just stuck there and I could only close the game with task manager.

Another one is when I saved the game, quit the game to desktop, then enter and clicking load, it asks me for a savefile.ini then this error appears:

of  Step Event0
for object obj_main_menu:

Trying to read from undefined INI file
at gml_Script_scr_load
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_load (line 0)
gml_Object_obj_main_menu_Step_0

I assume it was trying to create a savefile when I loaded and it failed? I already ran the game as administrator and I am using windows 7.

And there's probably another bug when I try to use items, I am either doing it wrong or pressing space consumes everything in my inventory.

Etheria Offline:

etheriasig.png

#40 gadgetmawombo

gadgetmawombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 330 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:49 AM

Looks like a neat game, you have a lot of work put into this so far and it's coming along great! I'm not a fan of the giant interface though, I think it takes up too much space.

Merv%20combo_zpsklyiqgwb.gif

39134.png

#41 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

Tried the game, I like the interface, and the door animations look really nice. I got into the generator room with the robot and I'm too dumb to figure out how to start it now, so I'll try again later.

I also encountered a bug I guess, after going to the menu from the game by pressing M and loading, it was just stuck there and I could only close the game with task manager.

Another one is when I saved the game, quit the game to desktop, then enter and clicking load, it asks me for a savefile.ini then this error appears:

of  Step Event0
for object obj_main_menu:

Trying to read from undefined INI file
at gml_Script_scr_load
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_load (line 0)
gml_Object_obj_main_menu_Step_0

I assume it was trying to create a savefile when I loaded and it failed? I already ran the game as administrator and I am using windows 7.

And there's probably another bug when I try to use items, I am either doing it wrong or pressing space consumes everything in my inventory.

Thanks for trying the game and also for the feedback. Sorry about the save system I only learnt that last week so there may be bugs with it.

The generator you have to go back to the previous room and use toby then select the key from the inventory then return to the door there will be aot of backtracking. I should really make a tutorial for this.

I think I may have fixed the save error. The porblem I think was that it will load into a room without all the controller objects so i made the load script create if it dosnt exist. Seems to work.

The inventory bug is fixed you should only be able to use health items and only select keys and starlogs shouldnt be able to be used

Will upload the latest with the fixes soon

Thanks again I really appreciate your feedback :)

Looks like a neat game, you have a lot of work put into this so far and it's coming along great! I'm not a fan of the giant interface though, I think it takes up too much space.

Thanks for your feedback.I thought so my self too but im trying a new thing rogue like hud systems something old school.

Edited by strangastudios, 17 January 2016 - 07:57 AM.

new_sig.jpg

#42 kangaroodev

kangaroodev

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

Is the game updated with the latest fixes now? With saving/inventory using fixed?

Etheria Offline:

etheriasig.png

#43 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:11 AM

Is the game updated with the latest fixes now? With saving/inventory using fixed?

It will be soon I'm having a few problems with the save and inventory. If you dont close the window and return to the main menu and load your inventory will save. However if you close the application it doesn't save the inventory but you will appear where you saved.

It's really frustrating me lol :P

But I hope to have the fix uploaded in the next day or 2

Edited by strangastudios, 28 January 2016 - 01:14 AM.

new_sig.jpg

#44 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

UPDATED!

Updates:
  • Save and Load FIXED!
  • Splash Screen
  • Fixed some animations / collisions 
  • Red Laser Charge Pack!!
  • Hold [SPACE] to see dialogue faster (TestingFeature)
  • Ammo system / Ammo types added
Version 16

new_sig.jpg

#45 omar_almighty

omar_almighty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

I like the visuals! The movement still feels pretty clunky. When running into walls I kept getting stuck. Other than that, it seems pretty good. I'll keep my eye on this one :)

edit: ALSO! Totally forgot. There was a bug where I got stuck talking to the gameboy. Just thought i'd let you know :)

Edited by omar_almighty, 02 February 2016 - 09:47 PM.

sprite370.png

Try out my alpha here! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gmc.yoyogames...10#entry4904774

Check it out on Game Jolt!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gamejolt.com/...pancakes/120634

Check out a FREE older project on the Play Store >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://play.google....ghostpoke&hl=en

Follow me on Twitter :) https://twitter.com/omar_almighty

#46 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

I like the visuals! The movement still feels pretty clunky. When running into walls I kept getting stuck. Other than that, it seems pretty good. I'll keep my eye on this one :)

edit: ALSO! Totally forgot. There was a bug where I got stuck talking to the gameboy. Just thought i'd let you know :)

Thanks for the feedback. The collision code still need some work I will admit its the diagonal movement I think may be the problem.

Thanks also for pointing out that gameboy dialogue bug. The bed is causing the bug becausr its next to it and its all about directions you have to be facing what you want to interact with but I may be scrapping all that and just have character and npc dialogue soon.

new_sig.jpg

#47 kangaroodev

kangaroodev

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

I tried the new version, apparently I could still use the star log (in inventory). I have a suggestion to make though, can you make it possible to kill enemies easier if they are right near you? Those robot things are very hard to damage if they are near you, maybe the player should be knocked back on damage so you have room to shoot them? Or maybe make the robot enemies not be directly in your center.

Edited by kangaroodev, 06 February 2016 - 09:00 PM.

Etheria Offline:

etheriasig.png

#48 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:12 AM

I tried the new version, apparently I could still use the star log (in inventory). I have a suggestion to make though, can you make it possible to kill enemies easier if they are right near you? Those robot things are very hard to damage if they are near you, maybe the player should be knocked back on damage so you have room to shoot them? Or maybe make the robot enemies not be directly in your center.

Hey thanks for reporting the bugs. The one in the inventory I am currently working on im not sure what is causing the problem with it everything else works fine in the inventory except that. Also I am fixing the enemy system at the moment. 

[TIP]: with the drone enemies (the only ones so far) you can actually lure them away with the little robot Toby then shoot them. There are some drones that are actually designed to explode on impact but these ones are the basic enemies. 

Also in the next version / update of the Alpha all the NPC's in the areas of the beginning of the game will give you helpful hints and tips so go talk to the when the update is out soon

Edited by strangastudios, 08 February 2016 - 04:17 AM.

new_sig.jpg

#49 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

UPDATED!

Updates:

• Collision has improved
  • NPC's in first section give hints and tips
  • Fixed some animations / graphics s
  • New look for main character!!
  • Toby can use switches
  • Health Crates have been added

Download:http://www.indiedb.c...as-13/downloads

Edited by strangastudios, 09 February 2016 - 12:53 PM.

new_sig.jpg

#50 Bakuda

Bakuda

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hey...this little game looks great!  I love the look and feel of it.  I'm excited to see where you go with this =)

Bryan Davis - Composer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adventure, retro, rpg, 2d, desktop