• 618 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:03 AM

Peanut Caravan [v 0.2.2] 

Current Download Link - 2.3 MB zip file

Old versions of the game:

Spoiler

PCss3.png

An experimental, space-exploration, idle game centered around random generation.

You objective is to watch as three aliens row across a huge solar system in a rowboat named The S.S.Peanut. The further the crew go, the higher the score. There are currently no controls; the current version of the game is meant to be observed rather than played. This is a great game to have running in the background of your computer to glance over at now and then.

I plan to give this game mini updates often. Soon, the game will let you explore the planets, interact with others, collect food and water for survival, have strong replay value, music, battles against animals/attackers, shoot em up segments, and a bunch of random generation. You can let the game play itself and watch or you can take control of the commander. The game will allow you to input seeds.

If you guys have any cool stories from the game, I would always love to read about it! Do you guys like the concept and have any suggestions?

Edited by Otyugra, 10 March 2016 - 07:14 AM.

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#2 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:44 AM

Had to wonder the reason you chose installer instead of executable file or even a zip pack for such a tiny game.

I'm a huge fan of micro or tiny games where you can explore things, but in a minimalist, or a smaller scale. I love the idea of the random generations, but as you said, there's literally nothing else to do but watch as the flying ark passes some planets (or in a rare case, and empty space), you're just sitting there, watching randomly generated pixel circles. Maybe you should add some kind of counter to show how many planets you've passed, how many times you've encountered empty spaces, or something like that? There should be some kind of award for the people running this game on the background.

Anyhow, I really like the concept of this game, and by your descriptions, there are more things to expect in further development, and the art is good (even though it's so small scaled, you picked a good color combinations), so yeah, I'll be rooting for this. :)

EDIT: Oh look, I passed this planet 7 times in a row!

E8B89xQ.png

And another suggestion: Maybe increase the size of the planets? Bigger planets means more variety in random generations, and you can make out some silly pictures out of the planets' textures, would be a more interesting thing to share about this game. :)

Edited by Hiznopellagio, 28 October 2015 - 03:49 AM.

xgzQT2A.png

#3 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

Had to wonder the reason you chose installer instead of executable file or even a zip pack for such a tiny game.

Whoops, my mistake.

I love the idea of the random generations, but as you said, there's literally nothing else to do but watch as the flying ark passes some planets (or in a rare case, and empty space), you're just sitting there, watching randomly generated pixel circles. Maybe you should add some kind of counter to show how many planets you've passed, how many times you've encountered empty spaces, or something like that? There should be some kind of award for the people running this game on the background.

Those are some good ideas!

EDIT: Oh look, I passed this planet 7 times in a row!

Posted Image

And another suggestion: Maybe increase the size of the planets? Bigger planets means more variety in random generations, and you can make out some silly pictures out of the planets' textures, would be a more interesting thing to share about this game.  :)

WOW 7 times! I'm impressed, Even I haven't seen them pass the same planet that many times in a  row! I definitely will have bigger and more detailed planets in the next update. I also want to make a "observe mode" and a "play mode" eventually.

I updated the game!

o  Better installer
o  A larger planet total
o  Bigger and more detailed planets
o  Planets are slightly more rare to encounter

Edited by chance, 28 October 2015 - 01:26 PM.

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#4 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:55 AM

Quickest game update I've ever seen. :P

Anyway, I can't seem to run the game, it pops out a new window, asking me to open a file. I tried selecting the game itself, but then nothing happens. Perhaps you could just upload a zip version?

xgzQT2A.png

#5 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:01 AM

I fixed the executable, it should work now. Enjoy!

#6 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

Update One for November 2015:

I have been still working on the game and decided the next version will have planets that are entirely random and more detailed. The version will also have a simple counter. After that version comes out, I will begin working on a second mode that has gameplay. There will be other changes too.

#7 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:45 PM

I updated the game!

It has a counter, super detailed planets, a much better rowboat sprite, a different color scheme, and a galaxy background!

PCss2.png

Let me know if you see something cool and tell me if you like the update!

#8 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:09 AM

It looks and seems interesting, but it keeps distracting me from making my own games haha. This is really cool I love micro games sorta reminds me of a game watch that you cant play.

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

#9 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

I'm really glad you enjoy the game! I'm flattered that it is captivating enough to distract you so well, haha.

I'm thinking about having the game allow the player to switch between autopilot and ordinary game mode at any time rather than there being two separate modes. 

#10 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

I updated the game to v. 0.2.1 !

o  Slightly bigger planets

o  Gone is the bug that freezes the game when the window is minimized

o  Title screen added, that quickly fades away on its own

I'm thinkin' the game will have [W][A][S][D] for moving and [K] and [L] for buttons. Does that sound good? should I have more buttons than that or are minimal controls better?

Should I make the window twice as large or keep it uniquely small?

Edited by Otyugra, 09 December 2015 - 11:25 PM.

#11 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

I actually quite like this. Not much interactivity, but just nice to watch. Art is good and for some reason I really like the name.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#12 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:54 AM

Ninety, I'm glad you like the name! It actually has a story behind it. I originally named the game after one of my favorite songs of all time, Planet Caravan:

https://youtu.be/O63COyZlTyU

As it turns out, my father accidentally messed up the name and wrote it as "Peanut Caravan" on my Itunes so I thought that was the actual name of the song. I later was going to rename the game because I didn't want to steal the name of the game from the song but that is when I discovered my father accidentally invented the name, and it just stuck with me. :P

Title_Screen_B.png

The lyrics are really cool and help explain my vision for the game.

"Planet Caravan"

We sail through endless skies
stars shine like eyes
the black night sighs
The moon in silver trees
falls down in tears
light of the night
The earth, a purple blaze
of sapphire haze
in orbit always

While down below the trees
bathed in cool breeze
silver starlight breaks down the night
And so we pass on by the crimson eye
of great god Mars
as we travel the universe

Line 1 to 3 really express the relaxed yet mysterious and overwhelming universe that the game takes place in. Yet, no matter how daunting and agoraphobia (The fear of open space/ reverse of claustrophobia) the open universe is, the aliens are without worry and embrace the adventure they find themselves in.

Line 2 to 6 are talking about leaving Earth to return to the adventure in the galaxy. They see the moon and use that as their trusty guide in a world of independence.

Line 7 to 9 expresses a trippy sleep description of the Earth. You can feel they know the planet so well, but they know it in terms of looking at it from afar. They have seen Earth from space more times than they can count.

Line 10 to 12 describes how they recall the sky from Earth and the way they once thought of the sky before they truly got to experience it first hand. 

The last three lines tells you they are headed by planet Mars and it's vast red color as they continue their journey through the infinity of the great lonesome universe.

I really want to have a relaxing yet lonesome atmosphere with this game. I want the player to feel virtually powerless to the unknown galaxies yet excited by what could be around the corner. I want this game to be remembered by those who play it, yet gracefully simple. Does any of that make sense?

Edited by Otyugra, 10 December 2015 - 01:30 AM.

#13 Ninety

Ninety

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:29 AM

That's a cool story behind the name. I assumed "Peanut Caravan" referred to a vessel (caravan) which was very small (peanut).

ka0eZdt.png

goodnight, sweet prince

#14 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

BIG NEWS: 

I have decided I will make this game very small, and much of what I had planned will be put into a different game called "Friends of the Void." ("Friends of the Void" is like this combined with Tomodachi Life, only stranger and creepier) My current plans for the game are simple:

Two modes: Watch Mode and Play Mode.

• Watch Mode will be a more advanced version of current game.
  •  
  • Play Mode will be a shoot-em-up with GameBoy hardware limitations in which the player explores planets between levels.

#15 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

New idea: 

The game is about looking for home. Imagine being lost in the Galaxy. You don't know what your planet looks like and you don't know where on that planet your home is, but what you want most in life is to find home. Every time you explore a planet, it is never the planet you are looking for, so you must keep searching the empty endless galaxy for all of time.

#16 Ninety

Ninety

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:06 PM

Wow, that's bleak.. I like it. I think making it too story focused would detract from the minimalist thing you've got going on now, though.

Glad to see this is still in development.

ka0eZdt.png

goodnight, sweet prince

#17 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

Not too much fun right now, unfortunately. The star field never changes, and the only randomness we get is whether or not there'll be a planet on the screen. : \

The planet's static changes too, but...

With some better random generation, this could be a cool little program. Right now, it seems a little pointless, sorry. I have no desire to watch, and if I checked back at random intervals, the game would appear exactly the same each time to me, since the random "changes" are so small.

#18 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

Not too much fun right now, unfortunately. The star field never changes, and the only randomness we get is whether or not there'll be a planet on the screen. : \

The planet's static changes too, but...

With some better random generation, this could be a cool little program. Right now, it seems a little pointless, sorry. I have no desire to watch, and if I checked back at random intervals, the game would appear exactly the same each time to me, since the random "changes" are so small.

Understood, I'm definitely going to make the entire thing more advanced in the later updates so that the idle half of the game is slightly less of the same thing over and over. 

By the way Ninety, the game will have story through action more so than words, and even then, there will be very little story.

#19 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

I updated the game to v. 0.2.2 !

o  Planets change location

o  The crew of the S.S.Peanut are now varied

o  The rowing animation is half there

Meet the crew:

[]Gus The Human

Role: Ship Captain, Leader, Technology Expert

-Gus is more-or-less the playable character in Play Mode. It is Gus that wants to return home, and since he was the one to decide what they should do after exile, he quickly became the leader. Poor Gus is becoming very old and understands his time is running out. He may not always make decisions swiftly, but the crew are smart to trust his wisdom. He studied engineering many many years ago, most of that knowledge stayed with him.

[]Oid The Iniccian

Role: Space Navigator, Negotiator, Survivalist 

-Oid is the very stern, anxious, quiet, and serious type. Despite that, she is very good with words and was once a galactic trader. She recently watched two of her brothers die to a gargling snog beast which is largely why she acts how she does. She can play a variation of the harmonica, which is good for morale. She is great at fending for food.

[]Hab The Dolliun

Role: Debris Destroyer, Harm Magic Wielder, Heath Guru

-Hab thinks he is funnier than he actually is, and his humor is dark. Hab gets antsy when silence lasts too long but doesn't have a good relationship with the others; he was the one to get them exiled. Having studied under a controversial wizard/philosopher for several years, Hab traded his morals for a strong belief in Hedonism. As a result, he deeply cares about physical health and knows how much rest any person needs, et cetera. 

Peanut_Crew.png

Edited by Otyugra, 10 March 2016 - 07:08 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: casual, rpg, retro, adventure, 2d