9u6hqe.png

Alpha Trailer:

Game Information:
  • Category: Open World, Roguelite, Adventure, Visual Novel
  • File Size: 174MB
  • File Type: Zip
  • GM Version: Studio
  • Download Link: Dropbox
Ocean Storm is best descriped as an open world roguelite visual-novel adventure game. You are a captain of your own ship, set out to explore a vast open world, filled with opportunity and danger. You decide who to hire, where to go, what missions to take, with consequences big or small for your every choice. You start in a random location, with randomily generated events, making a unique playthrough everytime you fail to stay afloat, on the ever more growing, chaotic oceans. The game features heavy story interactions between characters, with focus on the narrative experience. Heavily inspired by the series "Firefly".

Now this is pretty much a very early version, but I felt like I needed to share. I kept delaying because I wanted more polish and more content, but this is the alpha topics afterall. Still missing lots of art, content, n some features, though most main systems are in place. Only one really missing is the random event system. Still, leave me your critque, feedback & comments. I really want some comments, even if it's just looks crazy.

You should be able to complete the first mission, in a multitude of ways.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Looking for Partner:
Looking to team-up with an artist partner, who can somewhat mimmick the above art-style shown in screenshots.
All very shaded orange/purple colour scheme. Contact me for more information.

Edited by Author, 28 February 2016 - 07:28 AM.

If it's worth making, make it worthy.

- Branching Dialogue System
- Ocean Storm Alpha

#2 cookieboy

cookieboy

Seabass (The Human)

• GMC Member
  • 747 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

Awesome work!

Vnc5NxB.jpg

Support a fellow GMC member? <3

http://store.steampo...com//app/357650

#3 Author

Author

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

Update 29-10-15

New update to the game. Also if anybody could record their first impressions playing it and share the video, that would help immensly. Need to observe a new user reactions in order to make it more initutive, find out if they can crash it, if they find anything confusing, what they like and don't like n such.
  • Combat System! You can now engage in combat, currently the only location, if you attack or get attacked at the deal.
  • Mission Outcome Report, it now shows you outcome that happened such as changes to gold or inventory items.
  • Credits: Added a credit system, n it now runs once you completed all the content in the alpha.
  • Fixed a fatal error.
  • General bugfixes n improvements.

Edited by Author, 29 October 2015 - 05:10 PM.

- Ocean Storm Alpha

#4 HavanHUN

HavanHUN

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

It's a great game so far!

I recorded a gameplay, at the end when I tried to bring myself to the Timberlake or where with the ship, I got an error.

But more about the error and the game will be in the video.

Editing and uploading is back, I think I will done with it today or tomorrow, and post it here. :)

Again, good job! I really like this game!

EDIT: ugh nevermind, it just recorded a blank white screen while in fullscreen mode :/ Only at the end the error displayed.

Spoiler

Edited by HavanHUN, 31 October 2015 - 10:49 AM.

316268830sc_stuff_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.p

#5 Author

Author

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

Least you tried, thanks for comments! You've no idea how much I need some, they just give me that energy boost. I'm familiar with this error and know what's causing it. It's strange that it should occur though, I tried hard to intentionally cause it and failed miserably many times, thinking it was fixed. Basically if you have no path and is traveling on the sea you would divide by zero when calculating distance and amount of those red stripes. Problem is, if you have no path, you shouldn't be able to travel, which is why I find it strange. I'll see if I can recreate it, and also maybe implement a check if zero before dividing. Worst case, you would have strange behaviour instead of fatal error.

- Ocean Storm Alpha

#6 HavanHUN

HavanHUN

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

I can try to record it again in windowed mode, if you want to.

#7 Author

Author

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

Sure, I'd love that, just out of curiosity, though I'm really looking to study peopls first impressions in order to make it better, n run out of fwends n familiy members.

Edited by Author, 31 October 2015 - 11:49 AM.

- Ocean Storm Alpha

#8 HavanHUN

HavanHUN

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:55 AM

Ah, got it.

Don't worry, I'll make it. Not sure if today, but I will.

/)

#9 Author

Author

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Update 17-12-15

I'll be damned if I can remember everything that's included since last update months ago. Most of it is system polish, code refactoring, and all the little things here and there. No new content added, but soon getting to a place where such would be possible. Done with semester, so more cities, characters, missions, n storylines incomming in the future! Already written a bunch of them during downtime in bus, so wuuhuu.

• Crew can now take damage and die during missions, or any other place they would take damage.
  • Traveling without supply now kill damages your crew.
  • You can now heal your crew in the medbay, if you have a surgeon and enough supply.
  • Little effects and polish details added everywhere.
  • More options in menu, such as dialogue speed and a fov slider!
  • General bugfixes n improvements.

- Ocean Storm Alpha

#10 Author

Author

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

Update 28-01-16

It's been a while since the last update. Honestly I have hoped I would have gotten more content into this one, but it's a year aniversery of development! Started the project on 28-01-15, and a year later brings us to now. Developlment have been slow, since I mostly only have my free time to work on it, but I'm under no presure either. I got a stable situation with stable amounts of freetime, so slow and steady we go. Here's the changes for this update:
  • Random Events: Two so far, Ocean Storm and Inspection can now occur when travling and exploring the world. More to come!
  • New Mission: A new mission for Timberfalls, though non completable at the moment, can still experience the beginning stages of it.
  • New City: Pealshore, a trade harbor city. Also they got a library where you can search for books with lore on the game world.
  • Workshop: The workshop have now been fully implemented and works. Order your carpenter to install upgrades to improve your ship!
  • Smuggling: One of those upgrades is the smugglers cargohold, where you now can store items to avoid detection during an inspection.
  • New Crew: While some under-development we now have 2 of each archetype of crew. For testing reasons doe, most likly not gonna see all of em.
  • General polish and improvements everywhere, as well as expected bugfixes.
Future plans is to get the Jade Statue mission completed, then get a mission for Pearlshore, some more events, look into crew missions at that point, and then expand everything with more missions, cities, crew and events until fully content rich. Looking into hiring artists at this point also, so the game can start getting a more complete and professional feel. Once enough content are in place that I'm happy with, gonna start getting voice-actors again.

Download Link: Dropbox

Edited by Author, 28 February 2016 - 07:34 AM.

- Ocean Storm Alpha

#11 wadaltmon

wadaltmon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

Just played it, here's what I think:

Right off the bat, I felt engrossed in the game. It has charm, and it had me interested in the setting. This was evident throughout the entirety of the experience. Obviously, there are the telltale signs of it being an alpha, but your effort and passion toward the project are evident, and that's really cool.

The beginning exposition was over pretty quickly, but that's not something I minded overall. I could see what kind of vibe you were going for here, and I thought it added an element of mystery to the story.

The interfaces run really smoothly. Everything from the ship repair screen, to the marketplaces, to the book shelf search operated very well. The only thing I could say here right now is that it might be good to put some kind of description on marketplace items; I bought items I didn't need right off the bat, considering I would (for the scope of the current amount of content) only need ship supplies to get from place to place, and ended up running out of money until I sold the unnecessary items. Still, not a big huge deal, as these resources will probably be better explained in the full game when they're needed.

The various places you could go on the ship, each with its own function, was really well thought out, and added to the feel of you having control over all elements of your ship. It really fit the design well, and gave you those separate locations for character interactions. Well done there.

On the subject of character interactions, they were... sparse. Now, once again, this is more than likely due to the fact that there isn't much of the storyline here yet. However, having Teresa tell me I need to go to the library after I just got back from the library was a bit weird. What is there is fairly good, but I just wish there was more, and that will (I assume) come in the later iterations.

I don't want to completely comment on the art, as it's apparent that it's not all there yet. I don't really think I could say much on the art style just yet until everything is in there. Backdrops were really nice, though, once again, they are not all present yet. Music flowed together well, though I believe I recognized one of the tracks in there. My assumption is this is royalty free music; correct me if I'm wrong on this, though.

The one thing I can definitely say is really wrong with it at present is, and I must be blunt here, the writing. Don't get me wrong, I thought the story content overall was fine. However, especially in all of the writing that wasn't voiced, spelling and grammar mistakes abounded. In a game that really immerses someone like this one does, this just pulled me out of the experience. It's an easily reparable thing, and it would do wonders for the professionalism of the end product, especially if you're going to be distributing this one in a more widespread manner. 

That was pretty long, so once again, I apologize. I actually really liked it, though I usually don't like visual novels, so it definitely drew me in that way. I hope you post more updates soon, I'm genuinely interested in seeing where you take this one!

Fairtime

Subscribe to my YouTube page if you're interested in my game stuff (updates on my Game Maker games, as well as other video game related stuff): https://www.youtube....PQ8b69cFOinTKYg

Also head to the Fairtime Interactive website for special updates: http://fairtimeia.webs.com

#12 gibberingmouther

gibberingmouther

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 310 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

so my parents are making me "correct" my sleep schedule by staying up past my usual bed time of five in the morning.  so i figured it was a good time to test your game out, after i got buzzed off coffee.

sleep deprivation can make things more exciting and i think it nicely complemented the gameplay experience.  i was extremely impressed with a lot of things in the game.  this didn't surprise me as it is consistent with the quality of your code writing.  the only things that stuck out as wrong seemed like they were unfinished, so there's no point really criticizing that.  unlike wadaltmon i was very impressed with your writing.  actually writing mini-books elder scrolls style must be hard to do!  and i think you pulled it off.  there were some spelling errors but i didn't write down where unfortunately.

i'm trying to think of things to criticize.  obviously the art isn't all there yet.  i'm not sure if the furled up paper icon is appropriate for every room transition, on the ship for example.  otherwise the guis and panels in game seemed pretty decent.  the wooden buttons i think work really well.  as i write this i'm thinking i should take a second look at your panels to see if there's anything that sticks out as being improvable.

anyway, to sum things up i would say that you are doing well, just do more of the same.  i agree with wadaltmon when he said you could use more character interactions, so hopefully that's in the works for your story line to have that.  your strong point to me seemed like your writing.  not to say that you couldn't improve on some of the exposition, but this is what gives immersion in a game of this type and you are good at it.

good luck!

Edited by gibberingmouther, 08 March 2016 - 01:09 AM.

#13 HavanHUN

HavanHUN

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

Here it is, as I promised ;D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, rpg, adventure