52 replies to this topic

#51 fetito666

fetito666

Braaaaaaaaaaaaains!

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:26 AM

I did a mix between doing the included tutorials, several books from packtpub.com and also pure C++ and C# tutorials (just to get a get a solid basis about coding). I fell in love with Visual Studio 2015. <3

Edited by fetito666, 06 March 2016 - 12:27 AM.

#52 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:53 AM

I did a mix between doing the included tutorials, several books from packtpub.com and also pure C++ and C# tutorials (just to get a get a solid basis about coding). I fell in love with Visual Studio 2015. <3

Here's something that I notice about people who no longer need to whore after tutorials or beg for wet-nursing in public: Almost all of them either have a secondary background in another language, or come from another language.

Often this other language is stricter and doesn't tolerate the kind of crap that GML typically puts up with under the banner of accessibility. Coincidence? I think not, it does take a strict master to make good students.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#53 Colonello

Colonello

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:49 AM

I'm learning through doing really. I have an idea of what I want to make using GameMaker so I'm doing that. I use resources such as Udemy, YouTube, GMC, and most importantly the manual! If I can't figure out how to do something I check the manual, if it's not there then I seek for help online. It's only been about a week since I started learning and I believe I could confidently create a VERY basic platform game with no help necessary.