LShy6C6.png

#1652 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

Almost feel like that raises more questions than it answers.

#1653 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:00 AM

I think "dadio" is all the answer you'll ever need.

LShy6C6.png

#1654 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:51 AM

Is it weird that I actually really enjoyed that?

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#1655 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:59 AM

Is it weird that I actually really enjoyed that?

No weirder than dadio. :)

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#1656 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

In as status update, I asked if anyone had advise for putting a quality romantic relationship in a game. One person responded with "I've yet to find a game that does romance well yet." and I think that is a huge shame. What I love about jams is the room for experimentation, so I have an idea.

I challenge everyone to incorporate a romantic relationship into their next jam game. Imagine a platformer in which boyfriend and girlfriend jump over bottomless pits hand and hand. Imagine a little RPG in which your spouse is in your party at the start of the game. Imagine a narrative driven game in which you go on a date with someone. Imagine a puzzle game in which you ask your lover for advice when you get stuck. 

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#1657 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

I challenge everyone to incorporate a romantic relationship into their next jam game.

Well, I've got a few ideas. May break the EULA though  :wink:

AczgxAZ.png

#1658 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

Haha, yeah, Moloko *rocks* - love that song. And the video is just amazing (couldn't resist using that clip for my "game" *cough*).

Saw them live when they first started up back in '95 in the RedBox in Dublin. 1st album was their best (imo). Just insane. Crazy to think that was 20 years ago! (yep I am *that* ancient lol).

:bunny:

Well, I'm off now to Japan from tomorrow.

Seeya next year for the opening of the next Jam discussion topic!

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#1659 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

In as status update, I asked if anyone had advise for putting a quality romantic relationship in a game. One person responded with "I've yet to find a game that does romance well yet."

To the Moon does romance well; not because it's all fluffy and sweet and highschool sweetheart (Its not) but because it shows us how difficult relationships are and how your life is affected by being with someone else. There are also plenty of subtle examples where the romance isn't directly in your face. Things like Geralt and Triss's relationship in the Witcher franchise or maybe even Drake & Elena from Uncharted.

The problem with romance in games is that it is very hard to not feel forced; simply because we have to build the romantic narrative into gameplay. often we have better results when the protagonist is reflecting back on past relationships or when the romance is a narrative tool that isn't expressed directly trough gameplay. Something that is hinted at, shows cleary in how certain characters act, but isn't a love smitten AWWWWW narrative that is shoved in your face. this balance is very hard to get. 

in any case; There are a plethora of visual novels (in particular japenese ones) that do Romance very very well. The problem is that visual novels aren't that popular in the US and vestern market in general so it's understandable they aren't often remembered in these discussions.

Edited by mr magnus, 04 December 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#1660 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

Would make for an interesting Jam Theme for sure...

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#1661 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:53 PM

What do you guys think, should I (or someone else) host a separate Challenge for romantic relationships/romance? That way if the theme has nothing to do with romance in the next jam, no conflict would arise. Would anyone like to be judge or confirm that they would sign up?

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#1662 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

What do you guys think, should I (or someone else) host a separate Challenge for romantic relationships/romance? That way if the theme has nothing to do with romance in the next jam, no conflict would arise. Would anyone like to be judge or confirm that they would sign up?

It would be better as its own challenge. This feels like it's highjacking the jam.

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#1663 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:47 PM

I'd love to review the games, but I can't write romance

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#1664 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:23 AM

I'd love to review the games, but I can't write romance

You don't need to write romance. You could show romantic emotions in other ways, such as adding bloom shaders and pink glow whenever the two characters get close... or show the player how essential the duality is for the characters to progress.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#1665 Sammi3

Sammi3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:04 PM

I wouldn't mind signing up :)

#1666 nvrogers

nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

I might sign up depending on the date. I have some ideas for a horror-romance game (well, really more of a breakup game) that I would like to try out. It's gonna be hard to fit in though if you schedule for the next few weeks, because of exams and whatnot. 

I work on games sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

#1667 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

I'm going to make a topic soon. I'm thinking Dec. 18th through 20th for the Challenge.  Does that work for everyone? There aren't many good time slots for a Challenge this time of year. Would the 19th through the 21st be any better?

Edited by Otyugra, 05 December 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#1668 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=684718

Sorry for double posting but I thought you all should know the topic for the challenge is made.

#1669 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:12 AM

When's the jam 21 topic opening?

AczgxAZ.png

#1670 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:43 AM

Today. \(^0^)/

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#1671 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

I suspect this topic will be locked soon.

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#1672 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

19th of January the latest

#1673 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff