THE GMC JAM 20 DISCUSSION TOPIC
THEME : PREHISTORIC
HANDICAP : FAILURE SHOULD RESULT IN LOSS OF SOMETHING OTHER THAN PROGRESS
HYPE OBJECT : PETS
Complete pack of medals and signatures: LINK
Full results (in text):
MEOOOOOWM! Time for... The Pet-tastic GMC Jam 20! The big TWO-OH! My, how time flies! It's already time again to craftily construct your 72 hour masterpieces & have your pets madly prancing about, clawing up da furniture & excited to such a degree that their (& your!) brains explode in a sparkling shower of luminous green Jam! This fine event will run from Saturday 24th of October through Monday 26th for a grand total of 72 hours! CAN YOUUU DIIIIIG IIIIIIIT?
For you newcomers out there, here's some handy info to get you on your way to joining in & becoming a GMC superstar...
WHAT IS IT?
The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within a set 72 hour time period.
WHAT ISN'T IT?
The Jam is not an official YoYo Games Ltd competition, it is run by the community for the community.
WHEN IS IT?
Competition officially Starts Saturday 24th (but hype usually starts up on Friday before midnight when the theme is announced) and the contest is 72 hours long from 00:00 UK time Saturday 24th to 23:59 UK time Monday 26th
THEME & HANDICAP
- Each jam has a theme, and participants are very much encouraged to use it
- This jam has a handicap too and you are also encouraged to use it
- Using the theme is NOT obligatory, nor is using the handicap, but using either will be valued when voting and using BOTH gets extra Kudos!
- To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
- The theme will not be revealed until just before the start of the Jam to prevent any advantages.
- The hype object is revealed when the Jam topic is opened and entrants are encouraged to create funny pics around it to hype the Jam up.
- The hype object can *optionally* be included in some way in your Jam entry.
- All games are eligible (themed and non-themed and with or without handicap), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. Remember: non-theme games can win, but they cannot pick the next Jam's theme (see above).
- Voters rank all games, ultimately choosing 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as new special categories: Best use of restrictions, Best Presentation, Best Devlog and Best use of secret word.
- It is obligatory that when voting you leave feedback about why you voted for the game(s) you chose, even if it's only a few lines to say you loved the game idea or whatever. Failure to do so may result in your votes being removed.
- In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game and please refrain from asking friends/family to do so if they are not part of this community. This has happened before and if you are found out your game may be removed from the Jam.
- Any form of cheating will result in the instant removal of your game from the jam and being blacklisted for all further community events.
- All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish to complete the game: eg. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
- You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be eligible for winning any prizes.
- Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games (or WIP) forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is only for posting games. Hosting is up to the individual user. You may also include and update a development log in your official games topic post.
- The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
- HTML5 Games are permitted, but must have direct link to downloadable .exe version posted in the Official Games Topic.
- People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
- Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)
- The deadline for entries is now more solid. It is known well in advance by everyone who reads the topic and some people were getting away with a little too much last time. From now on, no entries from the next day will be accepted.
- Top three places - All get bragging rights (obviously), a banner, and entry into the hall of fame topic.
- 1st Place - Gets to choose the next theme, as long as their game fit the theme this time around
- 2nd Place - Gets to choose the next handicap, as long as their game used the handicap this time around
- 3rd Place - Gets to choose the hype object for the next jam
Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. eg: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube...anything!
COMMUNITY PRIZE LIST
These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. Donate your time/experience/whatever to this community endeavour! If you wish to add a community prize (game reviews, advertising etc...) please send a PM to me and I will add it to this post.
Please do not post your community prize in this topic as we may not see it!
Try not to let all of the prizes dominate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
You may choose who gets your prize including: competitors, reviewers, winners of specific categories, or even the best development log!
JAM 20 PRIZE LIST
dadio is offering:
- 1st Place Winner will get a genuine old logo YoYo yoyo & these 3 Steam games - Cosmochoria, Don't Starve & Don't Starve Together and Skullgirls
- Best "Jam hype related meme" will get an old logo YoYo mug & £5 Steam game of their choice (so keep those pics/gifs/movies coming!)
- Everyone who enters will get early access to my top secret WIP *BEEEEEP!* project as soon as it gets out of alpha
- Everyone who enters will get commercial use rights for 43 fonts created by me (yeah I make fonts too, tho I admit NAL's are generally way better lol)
- 1st Place Winner will get a fantastic, hand crafted dadio-pet of their very own!!! (what do you mean it's just a toilet roll insert with some matchsticks shoved into it & a photo of my face stuck to it?!)
NAL is offering:
- Anyone that validly enters (ie. doesn't get disqualified), and/or reviews all of the entries, will receive Innoquous 5
- You can also have 160-Font Giga Font Pack, including commercial rights, if you didn't already get it from a past jam.
Yal is offering:
- Top 3 each wins Steam codes for Daemon Detective Gaiden! (One code per spot, so teams has to fight over who gets the code )
- Top 5 each wins hand-drawn concept art of a character of their choice!
- Top 20 each wins a pixel art platformer tileset! (16x16 pixels per tile, 16 tiles total, any biome of your choice!)
- Best Use Of Handicap and Best Use Of Theme both wins a custom chiptune of around length 1 minute! (In 2 different WAV renderings, plus MIDI version, plus original XM file)
ShaunS is offering:
Top 5 games will get a copy of Another Perspective + Source Code =) (in case you didn't already get it from the Humble Bundle!)
Aamatniekss is offering:
Top 3 places a steam key for There Was A Caveman. If there's a team then each person from the team gets a key.
Forester if offering:
- A steam key of Time Gentlemen, Please and Ben There, Done That Special edition to the 20th place
- A chiptune/retroish song to the winner of the jam, and another one the person who get's last place.
Nallebeorn is offering:
11th place will receive Stealth Bastard Deluxe, and 12th place Savant – Ascent.
Squarebit is offering:
So many top 5 things, so I figured I'd give copies of Chronicon to places 6,7,8,9, and 10.
Alice is offering:
- A bundle from the great and server-killing sale, so you might add one to place 17.
- Also, like the last two times I'm going to make original Jam trophies, crafted specifically for every single participant~!
TheMasterspiffy is offering:
3 keys of my game SkyTown to the top 3 winners
Boysano is offering:
Choice of any 1 asset I published under GameLancer on yoyo to the "middle position entry" (ie: 60 entries, 30th place gets it)
Hiznopellagio is offering:
A poster fanart for the first winner, including the editable file (.svg file, since I use Inkscape).
GameGoblin is offering:
- Tilesets to top three with maximum size of 32x32 and maximum number of 16.
- Fan art for 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th places.
- Chiptunes (8-Bit) for 8th, 9th and 10th places.
- Top ten participants will somehow feature in my next Jam game.
- + other prizes yet to be determined!...
Shadow_Lancer is offering:
Fan art for the game that comes in 17th place.
GVmakesgames if offering:
- Games from 1 to 10 get a link to the source code of my entry, even if it's incomplete and/or it hasn't been entered in the jam.
- Games in the top 3 also get a hand-drawn (and maybe digitalized, maybe) fanart.
- Games in the top 5 also get a review on my blog.
Flaeon is offering:
- The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place takers will receive a free 8-bit song each, to their specifications, as well as the below.
- All participators that make it above the 50% mark (as well as the person in last place) with receive a pack of 5 8-bit soundtracks for use in their games.
- I'll also make a 3D art piece for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th places (if they want it). It can be art for their current project, art as a wallpaper (example, made from this), or art for anything else.
Snail_Man is offering:
Top 3 will appear in my next jam game.
Mercerenies is offering:
A video playthrough of various games. Specifically, I'd like to play 2nd place, 12th place, 14th place, 19th place, and my personal favorite Jam game.
Tulloch is offering:
- Top three places (1st, 2nd & 3rd) will get a voiced over playthrough video on YouTube featuring their submission as well as a link in the description.
- Places 4th - 10th will be featured in a single voiced over video, as well as their links in the description.
GameDevDan is offering:
- As it's the 20th Jam, the top 20 entrants will receive the source code of ALL of my jam entries up to GMC Jam 19!
Ninety is offering:
A custom music track to 5th place, up to 2 minutes, any style they like.
LOOKING FOR A TEAM
If you are looking for a team mate or wish to be part of a random team, PM me to add your name below:
Jueiop is looking for a team!
Please add a support banner to your forum signature to support Jam awareness!
Use the hashtag #GMCJam20 to generate interest on Twitter!
Edited by dadio, 24 November 2015 - 06:24 PM.