7 replies to this topic

#1 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

So I'm making this endless runner type game where you surf on waves and avoid floating spikeball towers that are going the other way. The waves impact obstacles a lot since tall obstacles can easily be jumped from a vantage point while even low obstacles are a threat when positioned on a tricky spot. However, they kinda feel stale and like in need of variety, so I'm looking for ideas for other obstacles, preferably ones that takes advantage of the undulating surface in some way.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#2 eyezik

eyezik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

kelp, seaweed, sharks or just shark fins, garbage(old tires, 50gallon barrels..), reef, islands, oil spills, feeding frenzies from both fishies and birdies.  hmm..

other surfers whove fallen off their board, now flailing about in the water.

Edited by eyezik, 23 September 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#3 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:32 AM

Not just looking for skin ideas, I can come up with that myself. I'm more into different movement patterns. The towers just kinda floats around and the water is the main reason why they're dangerous... most of your ideas kinda sound like they'd just work the same way (float around without any movement on their own).

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#4 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1876 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:54 AM

• You could have a whale, which would be a low obstacle and periodically spout water from it's blowhole 
  • Jellyfish that shoot electricity at you (Totally how jellyfish work IRL)
  • Gulls that divebomb you from above
  • Oil Slick that sticks on the top of the water and messes with your movement
  • Flying Fish, which jump at you randomly
  • Coral Reefs, which don't move with the waves, only being a danger in the troughs

Farewell, old GMC.
Although you stole my posts, I shall remember thee always.

Soundcloud : Wizard Battle

#5 eyezik

eyezik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:56 AM

Ok, partly true.

Minus these:
Flailing surfer,
Feeding fishies,
Feeding birdies, //they both move, uve watched discovery channel right? Those fishies that swarm under their prey..forcing them to the top, with no way out but into the fishies mouth. This (can) causes drastic changes in the current as well as be annoying to avoid.

Sharks swim, in a randomish pattern, not floating with water.
Same goes for whales or dolphins.
Water snakes,
Eels,
Penguins.
Geysers.

Edited by eyezik, 23 September 2015 - 12:59 AM.

#6 BlueSparksFly

BlueSparksFly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:10 AM

Annoying birds is an option, right.

* I hope this helps *

#7 Avyrra

Avyrra

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:23 AM

Just a few ideas I got. Some are serious... some, not so serious

-Puffer Fish that get caught in the wave. If you get too close it'll expand and poke ya. Only disables you for about a half second.

-Jellyfish : like the puffer fish, gets caught in the wave. This one is easier to dodge, due to small size, but will shock you if you hit it. Disables you for a full second.

-Flying fish : You can see it in the water for a brief second before it jumps.

-Bad Weather : The sky is darkened a bit to warn you that the waves will be stronger and gusts of wind may slow you or speed you up at random. Animals will submerge to ride out the storm, but debris and large waves will still be there.

-A tiger in a boat because 3.14 : Why not. The tiger jumps out the boat to try and catch you creating 2 obstacles, the tiger first, then the boat.

-Swarm of Birds : You might have food. Get low to avoid them. mine!

-Seagull : Obnoxious bird. Bigger bird. (Perhaps you can get some air if you jump on their heads) 

-Whirlpool : Not too big. You can jump over it, but if you get caught, you need to jump to get out. 

-Waterspout : In an addition to bad weather, a water tornado

-Dolphins : They just wanna play with you, ever if it means messing you up.

-Submarines : They only see a tiny little red dot on the radar and even then, they don't speak your language. You could be the enemy, of course. Fires torpedoes

-Robby : That one guy who everyone thinks is really cool and talented at surfing, but you hate because he stole your lunch money and reasons.

-Sarah : That one chick that like surfing more than you do, but is really bad at it.

-Sandy's Rocket : Bursting out of the middle of the ocean to make a trip to the moon.

-Fruit Fish : Is actually a crustacean 

#8 Moon Goat

Moon Goat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

Maybe an octopus that stretches its tentacles as it jumps out of the water?

Edited by Moon Goat, 26 March 2016 - 10:05 PM.