235 replies to this topic

#1 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Update 22:47 BST: We are now back online!!

Hey guys,

First of all we'd like to apologize for the massive number of issues faced by all of our users over the last few days. As you may know, the enormous pressure from the Humble Weekly Bundle exposed a flaw in our database which rendered all access to accounts and licensing unusable. While we've been applying various fixes and working as hard as we can to alleviate all of these issues we're now at a point where we need to take all of our services offline in order to move the database to a new server.

We expect process may take up to 24 hours at most.

During this time:

• the website at yoyogames.com will be offline.
  • the updater within GameMaker: Studio will not function.
  • no license keys will be redeemable or update-able.
  • The Marketplace and Player will also be offline
  • The GMC forums will remain online.

for new users who are looking to try GameMaker:Studio for the first time I would invite them to try the free version of the software available on steam during the downtime. This free version has a great deal of features and the majority of features unique to professional are targeted at long time users of the software and are less useful to beginners. The majority of the GMZ files in the source code provided with the bundle will also import correctly into this version of GameMaker.

http://store.steampo....com/app/214850

Edited by ShaunS, 22 September 2015 - 09:48 PM.

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#2 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the update and for at least keeping the GMC up.
I can't live without this website.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#3 magnumninja

magnumninja

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

I hate that I have waited almost 4 days to get my license and still cant use game maker. Now I have to wait another 24 hours for good news that may just be more bad news like usual what a buzzkill. we might not even get gamemaker all week if it doesn't come out tomorrow.

Edited by magnumninja, 22 September 2015 - 04:31 PM.

#4 DracoHandsome

DracoHandsome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

I've successfully gotten Studio Pro to register and launch. I'm sorry the rest of you aren't so lucky.

Thanks for keeping us updated Shaun, and I hope you guys can finish the database transfer soon!

Edited by DracoHandsome, 22 September 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#5 MaGicBush

MaGicBush

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

Try it again Magnumninja before the site and services are down I was able to get it to work finally! But I imagine you wont be able once it's all shut off(not yet as I am quickly downloading the tutorials from the marketplace lol).

#6 deaddeni

deaddeni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the update, glad this is coming to an end!

#7 amysgames

amysgames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

I too was able to get my new license and download GameMaker just this morning, so there's definitely improvement! Hopefully with the server update, it should work even better for everyone. :)

#8 NB264

NB264

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

Just got home and read this on the Facebook page. Let's hope it's the end of the troubles.

While I'm excited to convert my existing projects to GNU/Linux (got the pro while it was only mac included, which means nothing to me as I don't have any Apple devices) and see how they look on Android and how much "fixing" there will be needed before publishing them on PlayStore, I can certainly wait a couple of days more. Like I said yesterday, I'm using this time to set up Android sdk/ndk, Java, Vbox for Ubuntu and so on...

I just hope no licences are lost in the transfer/outage and all humble keys will be working when the system goes online again (I know they said the keys will be good, but I mean I hope no keys will claim they are already activated when they are not).

#9 Pinko_Scum

Pinko_Scum

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

YAY!

Slowly but surely on our way to a fix. This whole thing must have been quite the headache for you guys. Although, crazy angry forum posts are an entertaining read.

Can't wait to upgrade in the near future. I guess I'll keep reading up on GML and following your tutorials until then.

Good luck guys!

#10 0Bennyman

0Bennyman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for updating us, was able to get pro to register but the android didn't though I'm glad you guys have tried to keep everything up throughout this.

My Game New Outbreak On Steam: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=588112419

#11 ScareCreep

ScareCreep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

I hate that I have waited almost 4 days to get my license and still cant use game maker. Now I have to wait another 24 hours for good news that may just be more bad news like usual what a buzzkill. we might not even get gamemaker all week if it doesn't come out tomorrow.

I just hope no licences are lost in the transfer/outage and all humble keys will be working when the system goes online again (I know they said the keys will be good, but I mean I hope no keys will claim they are already activated when they are not).

-NB264

I feel the same as Magnum and NB264, they don't say anything about people whove made new purchases and what will happen for them to get their license.

Edited by ScareCreep, 22 September 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#12 zearid

zearid

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:36 PM

I download latest version yesterday now try update (I don't try - GMS try) xD
BTW. Any one know how work adding next pro key to steam? I have Pro on steam too. For mac export (from  standard, when I buy Pro - Pro don't have mac export) need help from supp. How this look now? Can I add another steam key that add linux export (and android on second key) or this time need help too?

Edited by zearid, 22 September 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#13 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

Since you will be moving registration servers, will that stop older versions of GMS from registering? And if that's the case, what will be the lowest supported version? Some users absolutely need older versions in order to support an existing product.

This has already happened once during the 1.1 timeframe, so it's a legitimate concern for existing customers. 

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#14 M1k3ol

M1k3ol

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

oh, can't aquire license now, seems like I'm late and will have to sit for another 24h

#15 Atros

Atros

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hello all,

i was disappointed with the technical difficulties. but others voiced and complained on behalf of some of us, and hope will get the soft i paid for asap.

but i have a question for admins and staff.

will the license we've got, work with future updates of the studio? or will we have to pay for the majors updates ?

Edited by Atros, 22 September 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#16 Stone Cutter

Stone Cutter

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

Glad to hear Yo Yo got a new server :thumbsup: Hopefully a professional grade server with secure backup.

#17 nanocosmo

nanocosmo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hello all,

i was disappointed with the technical difficulties. but others voiced and complained on behalf of some of us, and hope will get the soft i paid for asap.

will the license we've got, work with future updates of the studio? or will we have to pay for the majors updates ?

I want to know this as well now that GMS2 is coming out soon.

#18 MaGicBush

MaGicBush

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

Hello all,

It should as we got the full version of the software according to Humble Bundle, other-wise why buy it if wont be supported long lol?

Edited by MaGicBush, 22 September 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#19 nanocosmo

nanocosmo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hello all,

It should as we got the full version of the software according to Humble Bundle, other-wise why buy it if wont be supported long lol?

You got the full version of GMS 1.x, yes, but that absolutely doesn't mean you will get the upgrade to GMS 2.x for free. You have to pay to upgrade between major Photoshop versions for example. 

#20 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:42 PM

GMS 2 is a while off, and licenses will likely get a discount as per YoYo usual.

Don't take that as matter of fact though.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#21 Atros

Atros

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

Hello all,

You got the full version of GMS 1.x, yes, but that absolutely doesn't mean you will get the upgrade to GMS 2.x for free. You have to pay to upgrade between major Photoshop versions for example. 

Ouch, how often it take (in average) to go such a step? and would they keep the support for the 1.x version in your opinion?

Official admins and staff pls, answers :unsure:

Edit: the post above have responded fast, im a bit reassured thx to him :)

Edited by Atros, 22 September 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#22 KManStudios

KManStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

I am very happy to hear of this solution. Now that there is a time frame for people to look forward to.

I just checked my installation and it does launch ok as long as I don't tell it to update to current versions. I'm on 1.4.1398. I had the old installer that did not require the modular updates.

I truly hope that this helps because as valuable Shaun is here, we need him to get back to making great tuts again!! OK...that was just me being selfish...LOL

#23 zearid

zearid

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

GMS2 - paid but discount can be very low. In few promotion better is buy new copy like use discount. U pay less then. Ex. Some old promotion for Pro - $25 but if U try use discount from standard U pay full prize - standard prize ($49 discount). With HB licence can be worst, U don't get discount or get very, very low.

#24 Funk E. Gamez

Funk E. Gamez

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

Hello all,

I want to know this as well now that GMS2 is coming out soon.

All current licenses (Humble and otherwise) are for GM:S 1.x, and the fine print on the yoyogames website clarifies this. (Although you can't look it up right now since the site is down.) GM:S has been steadily updating and adding very substantial features ever since its release several years ago. (2011? Just guessing.) You will continue to receive free updates to GM:S 1.x until it is discontinued.

Yoyogames bought Game Maker when it was Windows only and released GMS alongside GM8.1. They updated both for a little bit before GM8.1 development was stopped, but left it available for sale at its normal price (or discounted) until 2013 or so. They often provided massive discounts for users to upgrade from 8.1 to GMS, but many hobbyist and those only interested in developing for Windows still use GM8.1 to this day.

I predict a similar fate for GMS2; that is to say, it will probably not be free, but Yoyogames will likely offer discounts to existing GM:S owners (which you are if you purchased the Humble Bundle), as well as their periodic sales open to everyone. GMS1 should still have some life left in it for updates, but I wouldn't expect it to continue receiving updates 6 months after GMS2 is released. This shouldn't discourage you by any means, though. GMS as it is today is a fantastic tool, and has already proven itself capable for developing commercial games. If you don't feel GMS2 warrants the cost of the upgrade, stick to GMS1 and I guarantee you will not be alone.

While we're on the subject: when YYG was bought out by Playtech, they announced that they're shooting for release of GMS2 this year. That means it's really not far off, so we should expect the days of GMS1 updates to slowly ramp down. But as I already mentioned, it is a solid piece of software and I am certain YYG will continue to squash bugs while they're still being actively reported.

#25 Who3D

Who3D

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Hi folks. New HB customer here. Obviously, I can't get Studio to acquire a licence yet or yadda yadda but I thought I'd poke my head in and say "existing customers should get priority".

As in, not me - but people who have already paid for and started using the thing.

More proof (if proof were needed) that DRM is evil. I see a comment about torrents and pirated versions - when legitimate customers start considering downloading a pirated copy of something they own because DRM is blocking their legitimate use, that should really be a wake-up call about DRM (which typically causes legitimate customers the most grief, and rewards DRM developers the most).

Meanwhile - new users like me who've paid $12 can probably wait a while. I am disappointed to hear that version 2 is already "known to be on it's way" but, well - $12 isn't that much of a gamble. I'll be interested to see how well I get on with it and how much upgrade costs are. Obviously I'd like to get playing with it sooner rather than later - but hey, if I was REALLY in a desperate hurry I'd have paid more, sooner ;) New user's aren't necessarily impatient :wink: so PLEASE prioritise existing customers. It lets new customers see how we can expect to be treated in the future.

Cheers,

Cliff

PS I forgot to say... something. Then I pressed edit and forgot it again. Being old may give you the advantage of wisdom, but what use is that if you can't remember any of it? Tsk.

Ah yes! I remember now! How I used to grate at the way Micro$oft would fail to fix bugs in VisualBasic or VisualC and I'd end up buying upgrades to the new version not so much for NEW features, but in the hopes that they'd fix the old features that were, if you'll forgive the pun, bugging me. The whole "ship now we can patch it later" aspect to software development has accompanied a similarly lax attitude in the rest of the professional world AFAICS. While "Professional", as a term, used to have a certain cachet I fear that nowadays it merely means that someone gets paid rather than being unpaid. The notion of "professional = quality" seems to have gone out with the Dodo - or, at least, with my generation :(

Edited by Who3D, 22 September 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#26 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:05 PM

All Licenses are still there and will still be valid, We're shifting the DB onto a machine/system that can expand properly (this is impossible with the old server), but it's basically the same DB in a new location, on a new machine.

So all GM4Mac, 8.x and 1.x and all Education licenses will still be there and still valid, and all NEW licenses are also still there. All coupons will also still be valid. basically everything is still there.

Part of the reason for the downtime is so that they can move the current Data Base, not an old one, or a back up - but the current live one.

If anyone has any issues, the help desk guys really are working their butts off to help resolve issues as quickly as possible.

#27 Grimbarian

Grimbarian

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the update ShaunS - looking forward to getting registered and seeing how GM:S works.

"Withhold no sacrifice, grudge no toil, seek no sordid gain, fear no foe."

#28 Moral Molar

Moral Molar

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

This is so embarrassing. Look at the bright side, heads will roll at YYG and the nicest and most patient forum members might get hired :) 

(-wisdom tooth-)

#29 Taubin

Taubin

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

I'm glad to hear this is being sorted out. I'd much rather they take their time and get things sorted properly, with a 24ish hour downtime, than to keep applying bandages and hope they hold. 

It's unfortunate that the servers couldn't handle the load, but more unfortunate is the replies some people have had over the downtime. No one's "head is going to roll" over something like this. The servers couldn't handle the load, and are being updated. Pretty simple, and it's something that happens at companies all over the world all the time. 

I'm as excited to get started as everyone else is. In the meantime, I've been watching tutorials on youtube and such to get ahead once the software does activate for me. Am I disappointed about the downtime? Of course! Am I wanting people fired over something like this happening? Absolutely not. Things happen, and are fixed. Simple as that. Coming here and threatening or complaining isn't going to make them work any faster, or bring the servers up any quicker. 

Have some patience, watch some videos, download the steam version, whatever. If you don't have the patience to sit through a bit of downtime, there is no way you'll have the patience to build a game that is going to be successful. 

Edited by Taubin, 22 September 2015 - 08:49 PM.

#30 wshngmchn

wshngmchn

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Just wanted to say that I bought the Bundle and am totally sympathetic. I realize this is much harder on you than it is on us, and appreciate the constant updates. Many of my friends use Studio on a daily basis, so I know that I won't be disappointed. You have my patience and support. <3

Edited by wshngmchn, 22 September 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#31 M1k3ol

M1k3ol

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

well, I hope that at least a bunch of the developers needing this to make ends meet had a chance to validate their licence this morning...

the others, well, it's just some hours ahead!

Edited by M1k3ol, 22 September 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#32 galladhan

galladhan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

Look at the bright side

Yes, i do: this server failure brought me to the forum (even if i started with Game Maker 8.1, i've never been here much) and i just discovered a marvelous community, populated by nice people i like to read and interact with. And the staff-moderators, in my opinion, are doing a great job in managing a nightmarish situation. Kudos, guys! =)

#33 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

Look at the bright side, heads will roll at YYG

YoYoGames don't treat their staff like this.

#34 Enzonaki

Enzonaki

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

Just wanting to say that after a few tries to connect to the site, yesterday everything went good after all.

The waiting will be totally worth it since getting for such a low price, even if USD is so expensive here on Brazil, this amazing tool. It's a problem but that won't happen again since they now found the bottleneck.

I once used it to learn at the very beginning about coding and game development, and I must admit, GM7 was the best 2D engine in town. The advanced functions probably changed since them, but probably I will be very proud as I as 5 years ago, declaring my very first variable in the "Create" section.

Love this tool, love the devs, and love everyone of you guys that make good tutorials.

Best Regards,

Enzonaki

#35 eyezik

eyezik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

The yoyogames website is back up n running. Hopfully this means validations work too.!

Time to load up n find me some wifi!
Thanks yoyos!

#36 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

The servers haven't gone down yet...
It's only 10:40 BST.

Edited by Lukan Spellweaver, 22 September 2015 - 09:39 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#37 TehGuyz

TehGuyz

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

The yoyogames website is back up n running. Hopfully this means validations work too.!

Time to load up n find me some wifi!
Thanks yoyos!

(there's a queue ; - ; )

#38 DHE alpha six

DHE alpha six

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

hi guys, just wanted to let you know that i've finally managed to re-license my copy of Studio and am now able to install the updates. thanks so much for being on this! <3

8KQpHCN.png

~ now available direct (itch.io) or on Steam (Early Access) ~

full release coming October / November 2015

[alpha six productions] | [TRONMAXIMUM.net]

#39 Cpaz

Cpaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

AAAND we're back online!!! :D

Check out my projects:
In "Progress":
ARANA (Top-down, hack 'n slash, rpg-thing)
Fast Action Heroine (Side scrolling, action, platformer)

#40 CheesyDaedra

CheesyDaedra

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

BY THE GODS IT'S WORKING!

#41 GammaGames_307958

GammaGames_307958

GMC Member

• 2 posts

It let me sign in and is updating now, fingers crossed!

Edit: It's all working! Got the Android module registered, fully updated and ready to go. Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Edited by GammaGames_307958, 22 September 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#42 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

We're now (officially) back online!

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#43 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

Yay!
So server issues are fixed?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#44 VoidByte

VoidByte

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:01 PM

Yay!
So server issues are fixed?

Asked the same on twitter just a min before ;D

The YoyoGames-Twitter-Guy answers me: "Its too early to be sure,"

But for me this sounds promising and im sure its going forward now.

Edited by VoidByte, 22 September 2015 - 10:02 PM.

#45 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

Lol, that Twitter guy is Shaun.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#46 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

It's baby steps just now but it would appear that everything is back as it was and looking in good shape...

we are monitoring just now...

Please give us a few hours to clear the backlog of emails and transactions that need to be processed - if you have not received email within 12 hours from now then please contact the help desk who should be able to help you on http://help.yoyogames.com

A big thanks and shout out to the Server guys for getting this sorted, and thanks to everyone for being patient, many apologies for the disruption and frustration.

Russell

#47 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

Glad the debacle is over....

That was a hell of a way to meet & great new members. Probably made a lot of frienemies in the process :)

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#48 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:11 PM

Thanks guys!
My GM finally updated my license!

Back to making my millions on the mobile market!

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#49 Alec

Alec

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:12 PM

Ayyy now I have to find a different reason to be unproductive.

#50 OldieSteve

OldieSteve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

Look at the bright side

Yes, i do: this server failure brought me to the forum (even if i started with Game Maker 8.1, i've never been here much) and i just discovered a marvelous community, populated by nice people i like to read and interact with. And the staff-moderators, in my opinion, are doing a great job in managing a nightmarish situation. Kudos, guys! =)

ohh!! Galladhan, do I spot another ZX81 fan out there?  :)