Photo

Updates regarding server & licensing situation (Updated 21/09 17:19 BST)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
329 replies to this topic

#301 KManStudios

KManStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

I've just been informed we are implementing something right now which we hope to alleviate the issue where users are stuck in a restart loop. More info as and when I have it. Apologies again all round.

just gave it a try ShaunS. still stuck in the resart loop.

has anyone made it past the restart loop?

Some have some have not

You can play with the free version on steam in the meantime. Aside the extra modules and the pro features no newcomer will miss anyway, it'll get you started on it
http://store.steampo...com/app/214850/

It ain't the new users that's the problem. It's the current license holders that can't continue developing. While I agree with your statement completely, but it really does no good with the developers who have been using and depending on the software.

#302 TehGuyz

TehGuyz

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

While you wait, you should maybe install MS Dev Studio Desktop for Windows YYC Output

Is "Visual Studio 2015 Community" ok?

Visual Studio 2013 is the latest supported on the normal/beta builds to my knowledge; the Win10 UWP test versions support 2015, I believe

#303 L_C

L_C

GMC Member

• 10 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

It would be really simpler to grab the free studio on steam, and get your actual paid purchase later this week

Seriously, will you give it a rest with 'try the free steam version'

I am not creating a steam account, downloading and installing steam, downloading ANOTHER version of GM and having to have steam running in the background connected to the net OK.

Why doesnt YYG just issue a free version that doesnt need licence check or net connection?

#304 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Some have some have not

You can play with the free version on steam in the meantime. Aside the extra modules and the pro features no newcomer will miss anyway, it'll get you started on it

It ain't the new users that's the problem. It's the current license holders that can't continue developing. While I agree with your statement completely, but it really does no good with the developers who have been using and depending on the software.

They too can grab the steam version. strictly developing the game itself does not require the pro features, most development is usually tested out with the windows runner. though power users may have to comment out a few lines of code.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#305 L_C

L_C

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

steam steam steam yada yada yada...
...though power users may have to comment out a few lines of code.

Tell me more of these 'power users' of which you speak, are they the same as 'real devs'? :Potato:

#306 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

steam steam steam yada yada yada...
...though power users may have to comment out a few lines of code.

Tell me more of these 'power users' of which you speak, are they the same as 'real devs'? :Potato:

They are the people most likely to help you with the development of your game... unless you rub them the wrong way... :whistle:

#307 JuliusPringle

JuliusPringle

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

Well this sounds awfully familiar...

I'm curious though, P_Cow, what do you have against 'power users' and 'real devs'?

Edited by JuliusPringle, 22 September 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#308 The7DeadlyVenomz

The7DeadlyVenomz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

Probably meant pro, not power ...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they have been given, rather than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It is a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
-- John Maxwell.

#309 MaGicBush

MaGicBush

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

Here is a question.
As I now own a licensed version of GM but cannot use it due to yoyogames failure would it be wrong to use a pirated copy?

You have stolen nothing or be using software you have not paid for.

Interesting ...

And before people wade in, no I am not advocating software piracy I am just asking would it be morally wrong?

Also am I alone in wishing icuurd12b42 would stop suggesting people install steam, not everybody wants to create more accounts and have more software connected to the net running in the backround.

I honestly don't see a problem with that, after all this is really what torrents were invented for. However like someone above said it's still probably easier to use the Steam version instead of messing with trying to use a random crack that may have a virus.

#310 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

and I seriously doubt anyone that want's to make games does not have a steam account really.

I think the steam option is good at least for the people that want to get started right away and also for the current users that got the shaft temporarily. Unless you are at the point of distribution then there is nothing to be done unfortunately

Edited by icuurd12b42, 22 September 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#311 MaGicBush

MaGicBush

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

Well this is wierd I just loaded up Game Maker Studio and it didn't popup the normal screen asking to login or register. It popped up an access violation error in "spice.ide" and I am able to use the software sort of(though everytime I click on anything that error pops up lol)?

#312 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

Well this is wierd I just loaded up Game Maker Studio and it didn't popup the normal screen asking to login or register. It popped up an access violation error in "spice.ide" and I am able to use the software sort of(though everytime I click on anything that error pops up lol)?

Hmm does it run? by that I mean create a new game, errors aside. you are probably all set. you'll likely need to terminate it or restart your PC to be safe. definitely don't want to mess around when you have errors

Edited by icuurd12b42, 22 September 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#313 Khaibit366

Khaibit366

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:59 PM

And before people wade in, no I am not advocating software piracy I am just asking would it be morally wrong?

Also am I alone in wishing icuurd12b42 would stop suggesting people install steam, not everybody wants to create more accounts and have more software connected to the net running in the backround.

Not morally wrong (Moral correctness is subjective), but also not intelligent. You do know that many cracks have viruses and some cracks hack the verification routine, yeah? You also should know that using a crack to access a pirated copy could install fake licenses and other persistent changes to your system and you can bet YoYo Games Support will not help you recover from utilizing a third party stolen copy of their software (That is not part of their job, and it would waste their time to analyze cracked software to see what it did). Some of these changes can interfere with the legitimate license you paid for.

No, you are not the only one wishing the "free" route would stop being suggested, but if you are a new user from Humble Bundle I see full well why icuurd is giving the recommendation as it will not affect your use of the program in any way since you have not used professional features yet (And probably will not encounter them before this blows over unless you actively seek to encounter them.) The only reason I wish the suggestion would go away is because I paid the Master Collection fee a long time ago and as I use professional features quite often the free version is of no use to me. I also refuse to comment out well designed code for a product I intend to sell just to cater to a free edition of a product I shelled out good cash for. I assume our reasons are different. I have been with GameMaker for over 10 years and paid each and every time for a license so that I would not need to deal with the restrictions of the free version.

icuurd, no malice towards you at all. I see the reasoning in the offer you give, it is just not valid for me (but is very valid for newcomers). So take my opinion not as a personal attack, but a defense for my stance in not using the free version and a defense for newcomers to realize, "Hey, I never used this before. I have to learn the ropes first anyway, so I might as well make my mistakes on non-production code in the free version." :)

Edited by Khaibit366, 22 September 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#314 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

icuurd, no malice towards you at all. I see the reasoning in the offer you give, it is just not valid for me (but is very valid for newcomers). So take my opinion not as a personal attack, but a defense for my stance in not using the free version and a defense for newcomers to realize, "Hey, I never used this before. I have to learn the ropes first anyway, so I might as well make my mistakes on non-production code in the free version." :)

If you are really stuck as a current owner of pro and just need to continue working on your game, I'm pretty sure the free version on steam will allow you to do that. As you know, maybe not, the free version is not restricted anymore in any way that would prevent you from loading and working on a game build in pro, just make a backup first :)

Edited by icuurd12b42, 22 September 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#315 Khaibit366

Khaibit366

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:25 PM

If you are really stuck as a current owner of pro and just need to continue working on your game, I'm pretty sure the free version on steam will allow you to do that. As you know, maybe not, the free version is not restricted animore in any way that would prevent you from loading and working on a game build in pro, just make a backup first :)
It has all professional features now? I have not followed changes to the free version since 2004, haha. Backups were made throughout the project and even right before I charged into this situation. Otherwise I would shut my trap and accept my fate for not thinking, haha. Maybe I will have to give it a shot, but today is not my day unfortunately. I am busy until Saturday now (So my frustration is aimed that way instead!)

I also know the relentless attack of YoYo Games is counter-productive as it makes my wait longer. Also, it is interesting to read stories of conspiracy even on these boards. I feel like some users think this is the war on terrorism. :P

Edited by Khaibit366, 22 September 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#316 dothedave

dothedave

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

Not morally wrong (Moral correctness is subjective), but also not intelligent. You do know that many cracks have viruses and some cracks hack the verification routine, yeah? You also should know that using a crack to access a pirated copy could install fake licenses and other persistent changes to your system and you can bet YoYo Games Support will not help you recover from utilizing a third party stolen copy of their software (That is not part of their job, and it would waste their time to analyze cracked software to see what it did).

No, you are not the only one wishing the "free" route would stop being suggested, but if you are a new user from Humble Bundle I see full well why icuurd is giving the recommendation as it will not affect your use of the program in any way since you have not used professional features yet (And probably will not encounter them before this blows over unless you actively seek to encounter them.) The only reason I wish the suggestion would go away is because I paid the Master Collection fee a long time ago and as I use professional features quite often the free version is of no use to me. I also refuse to comment out well designed code for a product I intend to sell just to cater to a free edition of a product I shelled out good cash for. I assume our reasons are different. I have been with GameMaker for over 10 years and paid each and every time for a license so that I would not need to deal with the restrictions of the free version.

I see where you are coming from but, just looking at the facts, what can really be done at this point? Your engine isn't working for you anymore. That stuff happens, not often, but it happens. Now, you have said yourself that you have been with this group for 10 years and have bought all of the licenses...so you have put in a good amount of investment into this product. I can understand your frustration easily. Still, in hindsight, with production deadlines approaching for plenty of members here, wouldn't it be wise to have a backup plan because of this sort of thing? Given your experience, I imagine that you should have come across this issue at some point. I know that in the past, at least with production cycles that I have had to deal with, my teams and I would often have LKGs not just for game files we were working on but also LKGs for the actual game engine (because even engine devs make mistakes). In a worst case scenario, we could continue being productive in an offline environment and then update to a fix once it was made. As much as I will fault YYG for what's going on, if you're a dev with something in the works, you should have done your due diligence by taking certain precautions to avoid matters like this. In my short time here, I have talked to a few devs that had backup plans in place in case this would happen. I also know that this practice was firmly ingrained in me when I first started my path to game developer-hood.

I'm not trying to play the blame game here but if you truly got the short end of the stick here, it could have been avoided. And if you find yourself having to pull a couple of all nighters to play catch up because of this, again, I understand your plight but I can't really feel bad for you. For the guys who have done any sort of professional development, this shouldn't really be a surprise. As a game developer, you need to be ready for this sort of thing because getting f***'d on a daily basis is very much the life of a game developer, even when everything you're doing is in-house. I can provide plenty of horror stories of my own along with 10x as many horror stories from my own colleagues.

tl;dr: Tough luck but what can you really do but request a refund and move onto another engine or, better yet, just practice better production STANDARDs for something that is your livelihood? Don't mean to be That Guy but that's simply the nature of the beast.

And now...here comes the flaming. I've been burned enough in this business so I'm not even going to bother putting up the flame shield for this post.

#317 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

It has all professional features now? I have not followed changes to the free version since 2004, haha. Backups were made throughout the project and even right before I charged into this situation. Otherwise I would shut my trap and accept my fate for not thinking, haha. Maybe I will have to give it a shot, but today is not my day unfortunately. I am busy until Saturday now (So my frustration is aimed that way instead!)

I also know the relentless attack of YoYo Games would be counter-productive as it would make my wait longer. Also, it is interesting to read stories of conspiracy even on these boards. I feel like some users think this is the war on terrorism. :P

You can pretty much do everything aside texture management and other advanced features... and the output is only the byte code runner... I don't know 100% what the restrictions are but they are no longer what the first free version was. It's pretty much GM8 unlocked and then some when it come to strictly coding your game

#318 L_C

L_C

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

They are the people most likely to help you with the development of your game... unless you rub them the wrong way...

ass Kiss you mean -_-

I'm curious though, P_Cow, what do you have against 'power users' and 'real devs'?

Nothing I just dont know what defines a 'power user' or a 'real dev'

How does one obtain 'power user' status and what does it take to be considered a 'real dev'?

I use Java for Android, does that make me a 'real dev'? I dont know  :confused: .

rfl8o_zpsvhqhwr4j.jpg

Edited by L_C, 22 September 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#319 Rathinosk

Rathinosk

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

Once upon a time, I was the head of IT for a multi-million dollar company.  There was a little custom database application set up that had been in operation for at least 5 years before I even started working there, I really never looked at it because it just worked and there were maybe 3 people in the whole company that actually used it.  It was written by a previous member of the IT staff that had since moved on.

This database pulled information from the time tracking and billing systems and combined their data with some data in fixed tables to produce special reports needed to produce 'detailed' bills for the company's single largest customer.  This customer was responsible for as much as 10% of the annual income, and they had been producing these reports for years.

After many years with the company, and knowing very little about this application, minor tweaks were required whenever the time tracking or billing systems were upgraded, usually just setting up new connections.  After several years, one upgrade came along that broke everything without warning.  The manufacturer of the billing system decided to completely change certain transaction tables within their database (no mention of this in release notes) - this broke the way the reporting pulled its data at a very low level.  

We spent three months sorting this out and ultimately were forced to re-write the application from scratch, during which time we still could not bill the customer. Thankfully this just delayed the billing during a slow time of year, but because of this, the company had to cash-flow hundreds of thousands of dollars each month. The best I could do was assure that the IT team was working on it and that it would be done as soon as it could be done.  That didn't stop the CEO, CFO and multiple VPs from cruising by my office multiple times daily looking for an update.

Like many of you, I'm patiently looking forward to using GM:Studio Pro, but for the time being, I am using the free Steam version.

#320 KManStudios

KManStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

and I seriously doubt anyone that want's to make games does not have a steam account really.

I think the steam option is good at least for the people that want to get started right away and also for the current users that got the shaft temporarily. Unless you are at the point of distribution then there is nothing to be done unfortunately

I don't. Have no plans to do anything with steam. They burned me once. Won't go back that route. And, they were never responsive to the issues they had.

I've been going through all these posts and I do feel that YOYO is trying to get this straightened out.

But, instead of some of the language and insults being thrown around, I would want just simple answers and something that assures me this will be something to re-evaluate concerning the current system.

I am back, up an running. But Murphy's Law exists for a reason. I would like to know that YOYO will do something to prevent this from happening again.

That is what I will be looking for. Attacking them is one thing. Expressing concern is another.

Edited by KManStudios, 22 September 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#321 KManStudios

KManStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

Some have some have not

They too can grab the steam version. strictly developing the game itself does not require the pro features, most development is usually tested out with the windows runner. though power users may have to comment out a few lines of code.

1) That ignores those of us that do not want to do anything with Steam. Won't get burned by them again.

2) It's a limitation. I found a workaround by simply installing the old versions that had the bundles included. After that, it was licensing that took hours of sitting here hitting submit. Not to mention the hours trying to fix a problem on my end because every single thing I found for all that time said it was a problem on my end. After 13 hours of trying to fix the wrong problem, then finding out it was not my system or installs at all was very frustrating. Especially with all those error messages at every turn. THEN to not be able to get into marketplace to validate my ownership of something was extra frustrating.

If I go on retreat for two or three weeks without internet connection, I run a very serious risk of not being able to do what I wanted because the software or marketplace will not validate while away. So, that kills the steam thing there too as they require being plugged in.

Edited by KManStudios, 22 September 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#322 L_C

L_C

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

Now then:

Capture_zpsaak0d0uo.png

But wait theres more:

Cap1ure_zpsc0wk6vyt.png

Calm down...

Capture16-07-2015-15.58.1822-09-2015-16.

So I thought 'shall I try again?'

Capture_zpstwcg4r3y.png

I almost spontaneously combusted !

Let the stampede begin...

Edited by L_C, 22 September 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#323 Northern

Northern

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

aye, looks like it's working. I have just updated GM:S and used my vouchers

#324 JimB

JimB

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

I cant get passed "Acquiring License" on the YOYO Account,I enter my email and password and get the "incorrect email or password" message.

Edited by JimB, 22 September 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#325 thomas130

thomas130

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

yep working

#326 Johnbot

Johnbot

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

It seems to work for me now.

Thanks for sorting everything out and keeping us posted.
While I admit the situation could have been handled better, it could have been much worse, so I don't see any reason to fault YoYoGames. They've always seemed to make good on everything. (I've had plenty of issues in the past, ranging from license issues with that 3rd party provider whose name I've forgotten to GM8.1 just refusing to run anymore, but every issue has always been resolved.)

#327 MaGicBush

MaGicBush

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:15 PM

Yay finally working good job YoYo :). Now to refresh and find my gml book since I have not used GM since 8.1 a few years ago lol.

#328 galladhan

galladhan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

Everything works here too, included my old license, and the IDE is not hanging anymore. I managed to use the voucher for the android module too. I confess i was getting pretty worried, but now i'm happy. Go YYG, go! :)

Edit: A big thank you to Shaun for keeping us informed!

Edited by galladhan, 22 September 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#329 DRM-Steve

DRM-Steve

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

While it's great that DRM issues might be OK now, six days since the bundle started, I've just sent in a refund request to Humble. Then I bought the bundle again for more money, and sent it all to Doctors without Borders and Humble. Frankly, I won't be using this product given the multiple DRM issues YoYo has forced on paying customers (prior to this, there was the "replacing legitimate user sprite assets with a skull and crossbones" fiasco). Good luck to all the people who stuck it out-you can now wonder whether the issue is really fixed when tens of thousands of users have to re-download the licence in a month, due to the probably still broken DRM.

#330 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

This topic is getting a bit unwieldy now, and there has been a new announcement made. So I'm closing this and would request that further discussion be carried out here:

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=676735

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png