Photo

Updates regarding server & licensing situation (Updated 21/09 17:19 BST)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
329 replies to this topic

#101 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

Oh.. really?  What's to stop someone buying lots during the bundle period than selling them on higher afterwards?  I don't understand.

Nothing apart from potentially-present morals. If YoYo didn't want people to do something like that, they wouldn't have literally told us to do whatever we want with them.

Damn my morals.  They make me poor.

#102 ElectroBOX

ElectroBOX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

Oh.. really?  What's to stop someone buying lots during the bundle period than selling them on higher afterwards?  I don't understand.

Nothing apart from potentially-present morals. If YoYo didn't want people to do something like that, they wouldn't have literally told us to do whatever we want with them.

The "voucher" is a Humble Bundle key.  Reselling keys is prohibited:

https://support.humb...ream-giveaways-

"Giving away keys promotionally is viewed differently than gifting keys for personal use through our built-in system. Selling keys is strictly prohibited. "

EDIT:  I'm not entirely sure if it's "illegal" but it is indeed prohibited by Humble Bundle's user agreement.  So you would be in violation of the TOS and subject to whatever repercussions that might bring.  More importantly, regardless of a nation's laws pertaining to the issue, its highly doubtful that the creators would advocate such practices.

Edited by ElectroBOX, 21 September 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#103 Red Eagle LXIX

Red Eagle LXIX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

There is a very old piece of our database which we had overlooked which is causing the bottleneck and which is very difficult to quickly change.

The pressure from the bundle is what exposed this flaw to us, unfortunately at the very worst of times.

..  letting a known problem continue 

do you know the meaning of the word "exposed" ?

Do you know the meaning of known problem?

If an issue occurs many times in the past (basically most sales and major updates), and is not fixed, then it is a known issue, even if not diagnosed.  That is the situation here with Yoyo Games.  They didn't even try diagnosing the issue until they had a massive exposure from the issue that has occurred many many many times in the past.  It has gotten so bad that in the years and years I owned the product I never registered until late July or Early August, and then made my first post in years of owning the product in September.  That alone speaks volumes as to how often the issue has occurrred and the fact it has gotten worse, but was left untreated, undiagnosed, and uncorrected until this fiasco.

Here is a similar example.  Just because you don't go to a doctor and get a diagnosis, if you caugh blood every so often when you go out and play football (say once a month or so), then you clearly have a medical issue.  That would be a known medical issue even if undiagnosed.  Sure an X-Ray might reveal a cancerous lump in your chest, but the X-Ray didn't really expose the issue since it was known but ignored when you were coughing blood.  That's what Yoyo Games has done, coughed blood each time they do a big update or have a sale on their own because their DRM/Account/License system could barely handle that level of load.  Now Humble Bundle like an X-Ray allowed a proper diagnosis of the cancerous lump many knew existed.

Edited by Red Eagle LXIX, 21 September 2015 - 12:27 PM.

Multiple GM:S Professional Licenses over the years due to YoYo Games being unable to combine export modules to a single license, requiring constant license switching which is impossible when their DRM is down.

#104 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

On the contrary, its Illegal.  The "voucher" is a Humble Bundle key.  Reselling keys is prohibited:

https://support.humb...ream-giveaways-

"Giving away keys promotionally is viewed differently than gifting keys for personal use through our built-in system. Selling keys is strictly prohibited. "

And if you do a quick google check, you'll find plenty of articles pertaining to the illegal practice of reselling humble bundle keys.

EDIT:  I'm not entirely sure if it's "illegal" but it is indeed prohibited by Humble Bundle's user agreement.  So you would be in violation of the TOS and subject to whatever repercussions that might bring.

This is not a key. This is a coupon which gives you a 100% discount off a product when bought through a website. YoYo is the original distributor of these coupons, so if they give us their OK to do whatever we want with them, there has to be a guarantee that we will not have to deal with any repercussions.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#105 SFPL

SFPL

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi Shaun. Hi everyone.

I'm a new HB GM:Studio user and I noticed this thread only an hour ago or so, so in a way I'm part of the over-flooding validation request problem in the voucher activation screen... sorry for that.

I'll stop harassing the server for sure now but, if possible, I'd suggest making a more apparent frontpage or download screen announcement to the newcomers so as to dissuade them from immediately making a new account. Perhaps even a temporary popup announcement exclusive to non-registered IP addresses. my 2 cents...

Thank you for the amazing bundle :thumbsup:

Cheers c(_)

#106 Northern

Northern

GMC Member

• 14 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

I'd suggest making a more apparent frontpage or download screen announcement to the newcomers so as to dissuade them from immediately making a new account. Perhaps even a temporary popup announcement exclusive to non-registered IP addresses. my 2 cents...

Yeah might be good idea to put something in BOLD black words (or flashing multi-coloured) on the Voucher page.

#107 DracoHandsome

DracoHandsome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

This is not a key. This is a coupon which gives you a 100% discount off a product when bought through a website. YoYo is the original distributor of these coupons, so if they give us their OK to do whatever we want with them, there has to be a guarantee that we will not have to deal with any repercussions.

Yoyo can say whatever they want, but if Humble says no, then you're still breaching a contract (Humble's) which is still a liable act.

#108 Northern

Northern

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

snip.

as the old saying goes "Rome was not built in a day"

#109 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Lets just be thankful YYG have raked in enough cash in the past couple of days that they can now afford to get the issue fixed.

Maybe, you can adjust where the money goes so YoYo gets nothing in the sale. So we really don't know how much money YoYo themselves have made.
HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#110 njgreb

njgreb

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

This whole situation is pretty amazing to me.  It would be interesting to get a post mortem on this whole thing when it is done.  I can't imagine a situation where 58K new activations brings an entire web service to its knees.

#111 M1k3ol

M1k3ol

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

if I'm correct, there's no way to download GMS right now isn't it?, other than the STEAM free edition, all pages give a 500 error...

#112 kupo15

kupo15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1032 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

When will we know when things are back up and running? Will there be an announcement here, a new thread or is twitter the best place to check? I'm not going to try and download the latest update until I hear things are resolved to not hurt the problem.

** LIKE us on Facebook!** Follow us on Twitter!

V9H3pw5.gif  35kie7q.jpg
Click for more combos!

Spoiler

#113 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

if I'm correct, there's no way to download GMS right now isn't it?, other than the STEAM free edition, all pages give a 500 error...

You are correct. The entire system I'd broken. Can't download, can't authenticate, can't update, and can't get a license.
HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#114 VoidByte

VoidByte

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

More and more users are now getting through the license redemption process, it is slow but we're seeing a great deal of improvement. We've now been making improvements that will allow more users to download updates 

Hello Shaun.

Yes make it through the "acquiering Licence" Step. Got the Message "You successfull activate your Licence, GMS need to Restart before you can use it" (something like that).

ehm.png

But if i restart the Engine, nothing else happens. I still land on the "Acquiring Licence" step.

Edited by VoidByte, 21 September 2015 - 05:16 PM.

#115 JuliusPringle

JuliusPringle

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

Just a notice that Shaun has updated the original post:

Latest Update (21/09 17:19 BST):
Hello! I have some more info to share.

More and more users are now getting through the license redemption process, it is slow but we're seeing a great deal of improvement. We've now been making improvements that will allow more users to download updates

We've managed to make a number of improvements which will hopefully start to allow more users through the update process in Studio itself. We know a lot of people have been facing problems during the update & restart process and we've just now implemented changes to alleviate some of the issues.

If you see this specific error during the update process:
Dfo7Vfz.png

Simply dismiss this with "Ok". It is an error in obtaining non-essential information and studio should continue to update regardless of this error.

A lot of people have been asking for an ETA on when the issues will all be resolved, unfortunately this is currently impossible to predict but we are making and implementing constant improvements that we will hopefully allow more and more people back into the software. There may also be occasional downtime on the main website while we make adjustments.

We thank you for your patience so far, we realize the delays have been very long. The traffic is still very high but with just a bit more patience we expect that many more of you should now be able to hopefully complete the whole process.

I understand that I only paid $12 for a $150 product, so I'm not terribly upset about the wait. I do also feel bad for customer that paid the full price and can't use the software right now, but I suppose that is a side effect.

I don't like to complain, but it really would be nice to have some actual information on what's going on.

#116 Inscrutable_Mr_T

Inscrutable_Mr_T

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

I managed to download and install GMS but still having problems. When I open it I get the standard "3 option" front page, where I log in using my YYG account login (the midle option). At that point, I either get an error and it fails to acquire the licence (damn), or it successfully acquires the licence and tells me I need t restart GMS (yay!).

Unfortunately, restarting sends me back to square one, where it once again requires a login and attempts to acquire the licence it just told me it had acquired! (grrrrr)

#117 teddiebeer

teddiebeer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

I don't seem to even be able to download. It "completes" but when I run it gives "Installer integrity check has failed".

Kind of takes the excitement out of wanting to use it :)

#118 zearid

zearid

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

Error 500 is server error. Page, btw, work better. Licence recover don't work but page work better. Redeem system too. New error is a side effect of making changes in whole system. That a good sign. I w8 too to install GMS on clear system and need keys/login (I have keys not only from HB but pro/standard from YYT page).

Need to ask too - any one know how look new steam key for pro? I have Pro via steam (but can't install steam here :P) without linux export. I get pro when they don't have mac/linux export and export from standard (for mac) need another key (big thanks to supp for helping with that). Now idk how new steam key work if I have pro. Add linux or need another key for this export. Don't see any info about that situation.

PS. Sorry for my eng here ;]

#119 JuliusPringle

JuliusPringle

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

seems like Shaun is just giving out corporate bull to keep people pacified for another day.

This makes interesting reading and gives an insight into the language the new owners use to avoid giving straight answers

http://www.develop-o...or-devs/0203243

Corporate bull

I have to agree with you completely.

We aren't stupid. If you want people to see GameMaker as a platform for serious developers, start treating us like serious developers.

#120 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:19 PM

YYGs needs to create a new subforum and member-group to accommodate all the new drama queens that have surfaced on the forums recently.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#121 Northern

Northern

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:26 PM

YYGs needs to create a new subforum and member-group to accommodate all the new drama queens that have surfaced on the forums recently.

i am enjoying the reading whilst i wait, to be honest. :D

Edited by Northern, 21 September 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#122 Hobi77

Hobi77

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hi all. I am also still suffering.

After passing the queue, I am eventually able to enter my Voucher code. After some tries the page tells me that "this voucher code was already redeemed to this account". Fine.

Note that I never received an email for redeeming the voucher.

In the actual gamemaker studio application, using my username/password it tells me that "no license is attached to this account". Is that still related to the high load or should I contact help desk ?

#123 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'd wait to contact them, it may very well be the server load.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 21 September 2015 - 05:29 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#124 JuliusPringle

JuliusPringle

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

I have to agree with you completely.

We aren't stupid. If you want people to see GameMaker as a platform for serious developers, start treating us like serious developers.

At the moment we are being treated like idiots.

Does Playtech seriously think they can fob developers off with some ambiguous bull and think they will believe it?

Whats the next piece of advice 'have you tried switching it off then on again'? or maybe 'try updating your drivers' or the classic 'what browser are you using? try google chrome'

This 'expert' that was hired to sort it out must be on an hourly rate

Well no, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I've been in situations before where a problem comes up at the worst time, and it takes a very long time to fix. So, I trust that yoyo wouldn't flat out lie to us.

I'm just saying, it would be nice to know what's actually going on. Yoyo says they want to be taken seriously by developers, so... take your developers seriously.

Edited by JuliusPringle, 21 September 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#125 nanocosmo

nanocosmo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

In my opinion the people who act smug and condescending that a paying customer would expect a working product are way more pathetic than the people they call "drama queens". If Photoshop stopped working for several days because of DRM issues there would be international outcry - and Photoshop is cheaper than GMS. 

Edited by nanocosmo, 21 September 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#126 rogzoo

rogzoo

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

I just figured it out! {insert Scooby-Doo ♫ music ♫ here}

Shaun all but leaves Youtube for YoYo. YoYo experiences Humble Bundle melt down.  Shaun forced to go back to creating how to videos for Youtube on YoYo products.... Ehhh forget it, I got nothing.

But we can still blame Shaun.... if that is his real name. ♫  Dunt dun duh  

#127 DracoHandsome

DracoHandsome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

In my opinion the people who act smug and condescending that a paying customer would expect a working product are way more pathetic than the people they call "drama queens". If Photoshop stopped working for several days because of DRM issues there would be international outcry - and Photoshop is cheaper than GMS.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my contempt is not because users want a working product. I want the same thing. We have no disagreement there.

My contempt is for individuals who talk down to the staff, make grand presumptions, and hurl personal insults at them. That is simply childish.

Whether you're a new user who can't redeem a voucher, a hobbyist inconvenienced by an interruption, or a professional who can't afford the delay -- handle yourself elegantly like a mature adult.

#128 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

You must be one of those  'power' users or a 'real dev'

Putting people down who complain doesnt make you seem like an authority, I will not be silenced or intimidated by the likes of you.

I have no problems with people who complain, in fact I encourage it.

If you look up my history here on the GMC you will see that I am no stranger to voicing complaints regarding YYGs and criticizing them when they make mistakes.

That's not being a drama queen.

You making your first complaint was legitimate and I commend you for it. 

You making your 53rd complaint and calling them liars and bull****ters is being a drama Queen.

YYGs made some mistakes, in this promotion and I believe they wouldn't disagree with that. But your non-stop complaining, assumptions and out-right attacks regarding things you don't know about is well past reasonable.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#129 deaddeni

deaddeni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

You must be one of those  'power' users or a 'real dev'

Putting people down who complain doesnt make you seem like an authority, I will not be silenced or intimidated by the likes of you.

I have no problems with people who complain, in fact I encourage it.

If you look up my history here on the GMC you will see that I am no stranger to voicing complaints regarding YYGs and criticizing them when they make mistakes.

That's not being a drama queen.

You making your first complaint was legitimate and I commend you for it. 

You making your 53rd complaint and calling them liars and bull****ters is being a drama Queen.

YYGs made some mistakes, in this promotion and I believe they wouldn't disagree with that. But your non-stop complaining, assumptions and out-right attacks regarding things you don't know about is well past reasonable.

That's right! Mistakes happen, this didn't occur on purpose and they wil fix it as soon as they can.. Talking bad to anyone won't speed things up, it'll just make You "drama queen".. :) Be patient, new users start looking tutorials, and elders, well, meditate if nothing else (just like me).. :P

#130 xxApvxx

xxApvxx

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thanks you for the update Shaun. I have read through the many comments and not seen any info about those of us waiting for the keys to be assigned to our account. I got through to make the account 2 days ago and successfully submitted my humble code 1 day ago (minus an hour or so from now). I understand they say they don't know how long to tell us on their server issues (makes sense customers are still flowing in so they would still be bogged down), but how long does it take them to assign a key to an account after submitting the humble code? That is not a server issue in my mind it is waiting for them to push a button (or several) on their end. To me the server load will not start to diminish until they actually get someone sorted and outta the site. Until then we are all gonna keep checking to see if we have a key and can finally start the software.

(Edit for my typo I typed 11 instead of 1)

Edited by xxApvxx, 21 September 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#131 DracoHandsome

DracoHandsome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

Yoyo Games is not saying it's complicated. Shaun is saying it's complicated and that is completely reasonable; have either of you ever actually worked in this field?

Shaun is merely the Community Manager. He is not a web developer. Assuming he's even been told what the problem is, there is no guarantee he understands any of it because that is not his job, which means he can't relay any details to us. He can tell us only what he has been told and understands.

His job is to take all of this horrible abuse the community is giving him -- the tank of Yoyo Games's raid party - and he's doing this job admirably.

Are you saying you'd prefer for the data admins themselves to stop fixing the problem you're demanding them to fix so they can justify themselves to you personally and detail the problem? Because that's ridiculous.

Edited by DracoHandsome, 21 September 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#132 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:20 PM

$12 is a lot to some people in some countries and this software could be their key to a better life and they might have taken a big gamble in buying it but I expect YOU would call them drama queens too.

It's my case, I would never be able to afford the 8000 HNL that would cost me the module (worth a month of minimum wage in my country, which translates to an approximation of $300), however it is a chance I have, one that I had been waiting for a long time now, I've waited years for that module, and a couple days more wont change my situation or the fact that it is an opportunity.

EDIT: To clarify, $12 an affordable amount. A huge jump from 8k HNL to just 240 is worth waiting even a month!

Edited by CrazyGuyGames, 21 September 2015 - 06:23 PM.

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#133 GammaGames_307958

GammaGames_307958

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

Progress! It now validates and asks me to restart, but gives an error when I restart. I'll try again later after more things have been worked on.  

Thanks for the hard work with the servers, it's coming along slowly!

And just ignore P_Cow guys, he doesn't deserve any attention.

Edited by GammaGames_307958, 21 September 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#134 eyezik

eyezik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

12+hrs between updates is not good. Long time existing costumers should also be recieving a big "were so sorry" mail directly from the head of YoYo(Mr.Kay?), this email should be genuinely written,(not a scripted, copyNpasted apology) from the heart and emailed TO ME.
-note, i dont expect Russell to write individual emails to everyone. Theres a degree of personalisation with email, opposed to a twitter feed.

Most importantly, you cant leave topics like this open to discussion, without having a staff member present. Youre only allowing yourself to recieve a bad name. Stay here, stay on top of it, continue reassuring. More updates, more often.

#135 thomas130

thomas130

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

To be honest I am shock they still haven't fix this by now. I have a master collection license which is now stating is not a valid license I would assume this is something they are doing in the background. Have to say I very concerned if have deleted my license which I pay $800 for then I want my money back.

I think the problem yoyogames will have I think we all know that the humble bundle was a last ditch effort to make money from their soon to be old version. No problem with that.

However I think that the reputation damage they have taken because of this will take a very long time to recover from.

#136 Scurrttie

Scurrttie

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

Don't give up YoYo! You've always kept your word!

#137 DracoHandsome

DracoHandsome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

I'd just like to point out that constant, "inexcusable" problems like this are pretty much a hallmark of professional products.

Microsoft in particular. Windows 10 has been out for how long and it still doesn't work right?

#138 thomas130

thomas130

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

To be honest I am shock they still haven't fix this by now. I have a master collection license which is now stating is not a valid license I would assume this is something they are doing in the background. Have to say I very concerned if have deleted my license which I pay $800 for then I want my money back.

I think the problem yoyogames will have I think we all know that the humble bundle was a last ditch effort to make money from their soon to be old version. No problem with that.

However I think that the reputation damage they have taken because of this will take a very long time to recover from.

Agreed.  5 days of downtime where customers who've paid hundreds or more dollars for products that are supposed to be "Professional" tools are unavailable means Professionals would be very much less likely to look at it as a "professional" product.  Dealines slipping, contracts being cancelled, projects unable to be exported, etc.  No one should be held to such long downtimes due to poor management deciding to ignore the repeated issues that have occurred on prior sales and updates until such time as the whole system is unusable for days instead of the hours it occasionally has gone down for in the past.

I do wonder how they will tackle their release of game maker 2.0 I think for the people who were not part on the bundle.

I think the only true way that can make it up to us is to have a big discount, cause at this point I would;nt be willing to spend that much money with them.

#139 TehGuyz

TehGuyz

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

12+hrs between updates is not good.

They have no further information to give, so I don't see why it isn't good.

Unless you'd rather they start spouting server jargon that I guarantee almost no one here is going to understand just because people want to know every little thing going on. They're trying to fix it, and that's it. Find something else to do in the mean time unless you'd rather complain on a forum for hours on end 

#140 thomas130

thomas130

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

I'd just like to point out that constant, "inexcusable" problems like this are pretty much a hallmark of professional products.

Microsoft in particular. Windows 10 has been out for how long and it still doesn't work right?

With respect to yourself

I heard no  problems of activating or installing window in the first place it's a usable product unlike game maker at the moment, not to mention windows is much cheaper to buy.

#141 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:41 PM

Oh I kept getting that error with the non-steam version, but i always get errors when starting it up, so i didn't think too much about it, and pressed ok, haven't had a single issue yet.

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#142 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

Also, why get angry, you gave your money to some charity, just feel good about yourself for 4 days and continue working.

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#143 DracoHandsome

DracoHandsome

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

With respect to yourself

I heard no  problems of activating or installing window in the first place it's a usable product unlike game maker at the moment, not to mention windows is much cheaper to buy.

I got Windows 10 for free and GM:S for $12.00, so their price doesn't really matter to me.

Furthermore, it really isn't. Not only does Microsoft constantly completely change where all of their features are located and what they're called between Windows versions, but many features randomly stop working. For instance, the Start Menu in Windows 10 occasionally stops responding for no reason, and only fixes itself with (usually multiple) restarts.

Internet Explorer is also frequently six months to a year behind any of the competition in terms of features and basic security.

I would consider these problems to be highly unprofessional -- but I expect them of any sufficiently large company, and pointing them out is redundant and moot.

My point is that what information and cooperation we've gotten from Yoyo Games, primarily through Shaun, is leaps and bounds above what we would get from Microsoft, Sony, Paypal, etc. which would be nothing at all. Shaun has told us what he can tell us, which is:
  • A flaw in the database structure was exposed by the high demand generated by the Humble sale
  • This error cannot be fixed quickly and no estimated time can yet be given
  • Code monkeys are scrambling through it as we speak
Personally, I have no further questions. What exactly do you want? You can't get "an apology from Yoyo Games" because Shaun is not authorized to speak for all of Yoyo Games at his own whimsy and Yoyo Games is busy fixing the problem.

Edited by DracoHandsome, 21 September 2015 - 06:49 PM.

#144 Danlisa

Danlisa

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Can I ask? Is the Acquiring License>Restart>Login>Acquiring License loop a result of the server load? Nothing but Welcome tab showing.

Edited by Danlisa, 21 September 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#145 galladhan

galladhan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

Can I ask? Is the Acquiring License>Restart>Login>Acquiring License loop a result of the server load? Nothing but Welcome tab showing.

I tried earlier and it entered the same loop, so i suppose it's related to the server-database issue. Plus, the IDE got stuck when i tried to restart and i had to terminate it through task manager... is it the same for you? 

Edited by galladhan, 21 September 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#146 Danlisa

Danlisa

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

I tried earlier and it entered the same loop, so i suppose it's related to the server-database issue. Plus, the IDE got stuck when i try to restart and i have to terminate it through task manager... is it the same for you? 

Exactly the same. Although the IDE hang is somewhat random. I sometimes get the briefest flash of the app which shows all the tabs but they quickly vanish.

Edited by Danlisa, 21 September 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#147 SFPL

SFPL

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

I tried earlier and it entered the same loop, so i suppose it's related to the server-database issue. Plus, the IDE got stuck when i tried to restart and i had to terminate it through task manager... is it the same for you? 

The same thing happened to me a couple of hours ago, Danlisa and Galladhan. Perhaps it's a countermeasure to limit the stack overflow of simultaneous logins.

It's probably best to simply wait, thus lowering the traffic and allowing the YYG staff to handle the situation.

Edited by SFPL, 21 September 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#148 belboz

belboz

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

I am curious if anyone who is a HB purchaser has actually been able to activate and use the Pro version?

I have been able to create my account / redeem the pro voucher and get an email that I did that.  I then launch gamemaker try to login with my username/password and when I do get it to work it says license acquired and restart.  Which when I do I repeat the license acquired restart over and over.

Not complaining or anything, just curious if anybody in the HB group has been able to actually get the license to take and use the pro version?

I can wait until they sort things and just use the steam version for now, but I am just unclear from the update if people are now actually getting the software to actually be licensed, or if the progress mentioned is more for existing users to update and resume using their already purchased software (non HB people).  

Would be nice to know if those of us who did claim the voucher for PRO (never can get the Android voucher to claim) are good once things are fixed, or if we are going to run into a situation where we don't have it claimed because of the server issues, but the actual voucher is now invalid.

<fingers crossed this gets sorted soon>

#149 deaddeni

deaddeni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

I am curious if anyone who is a HB purchaser has actually been able to activate and use the Pro version?

I have been able to create my account / redeem the pro voucher and get an email that I did that.  I then launch gamemaker try to login with my username/password and when I do get it to work it says license acquired and restart.  Which when I do I repeat the license acquired restart over and over.

Not complaining or anything, just curious if anybody in the HB group has been able to actually get the license to take and use the pro version?

I can wait until they sort things and just use the steam version for now, but I am just unclear from the update if people are now actually getting the software to actually be licensed, or if the progress mentioned is more for existing users to update and resume using their already purchased software (non HB people).  

Would be nice to know if those of us who did claim the voucher for PRO (never can get the Android voucher to claim) are good once things are fixed, or if we are going to run into a situation where we don't have it claimed because of the server issues, but the actual voucher is now invalid.

<fingers crossed this gets sorted soon>

LOL, it's not wired they need so much time to fix this when all of You are raping the server while trying all the time to download / redeem / log in / whatever..

Edited by deaddeni, 21 September 2015 - 07:03 PM.

#150 Danlisa

Danlisa

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

HB buyer. Exactly the same.

Created an account, redeemed the Pro License (Android will not redeem yet) and stuck in the same loop. Not overly worried and I keep trying at unsociable times to get in but always the same thing. I'll try in a day or so again.

Edited by Danlisa, 21 September 2015 - 07:05 PM.