Latest Update (21/09 17:19 BST):
Hello! I have some more info to share.
More and more users are now getting through the license redemption process, it is slow but we're seeing a great deal of improvement. We've now been making improvements that will allow more users to download updates
We've managed to make a number of improvements which will hopefully start to allow more users through the update process in Studio itself. We know a lot of people have been facing problems during the update & restart process and we've just now implemented changes to alleviate some of the issues.
If you see this specific error during the update process:
Simply dismiss this with "Ok". It is an error in obtaining non-essential information and studio should continue to update regardless of this error.
A lot of people have been asking for an ETA on when the issues will all be resolved, unfortunately this is currently impossible to predict but we are making and implementing constant improvements that we will hopefully allow more and more people back into the software. There may also be occasional downtime on the main website while we make adjustments.
We thank you for your patience so far, we realize the delays have been very long. The traffic is still very high but with just a bit more patience we expect that many more of you should now be able to hopefully complete the whole process.
Update #1 (20/09)
Hey guys, an update for those of you still struggling to redeem bundle codes / activate licenses etc.
While we're now much closer to a solution than before, unfortunately the problem is unlikely to be resolved tonight. We're still working hard and we've enlisted expert help from Playtech. The problem is unfortunately not as simple as web capacity that can be easily scaled/increased. There is a very old piece of our database which we had overlooked which is causing the bottleneck and which is very difficult to quickly change.
The pressure from the bundle is what exposed this flaw to us, unfortunately at the very worst of times.
We ask that for everybody's benefit, to please be patient and to not refresh or attempt to update/validate software at this time unless absolutely necessary as this adds more pressure to the bottleneck. This is especially true for redeeming the android module, as this is not needed to test or run games on Android using GMS:Pro, merely to export the final application.
We still wish to promote the Bundle in the meantime, due to the great efforts invested in its success not only by us but by the many game developers participating and we want as many people as possible to be able to take part in what we believe to be a fantastic and rare opportunity, despite the long waits faced in order to make full use of it.
Once again, I want to extend our apologies to everyone affected by this issue and reiterate that codes from the bundle will NOT expire.
Edited by ShaunS, 21 September 2015 - 04:24 PM.