PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

TownStruct

Description

I'm tired of spam-clicking idle games, so I bring you TownStruct, a relaxed city-builder!

Changelog

v0.0.3

• Pause-menu with resolutions and fullscreen option. Pause with "P", it does not pause time/your income!
  • NEW Power supply building. This is now needed for making money while the game is closed! (Keeps your city powered up.)
  • Added some additional text to the infobox for the buildings. 

Spoiler

Screenshots

373608f588.png

Spoiler

Features

• Build/upgrade towers and buildings
  • Renew the building with another material at level 50
  • Get a percentage of your $ per sec even when the game is closed
  • Some achievements (Open with A)
  • Somewhat interactive people (Entering with bus, walking home. And Press D and see what happens!)

If you try it out, please consider giving feedback on the cost-balance and the pacing  :)

Edited by PWL, 12 October 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#2 melerski

melerski

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

1_Unbenannt.png

Yeah! A city builder!

Nice idea with the growing buildings and the bus.. also how it makes money when you are away.

What does the police do?

So "D" is die by the looks of it.

You could use that for catastrophic events. Meterorites from the sky. Alien invasion.

I still need to play more to say sth about the prices/pacing.

There is a problem with a building which I built too close to the border. I can only see half of the info window:

[new double tower is hidden under window]

Unbenannt.png

Edited by melerski, 16 September 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#3 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

The deaths is actually part of "events" that randomly happens based on how many police stations etc is in your city. We'll see what happens with it. I thought of take a percentage off the $/s whenever people is dead on the streets/houses on fire/etc. 

I'll check out the infoboxes when they're close to the edges :) 

Thanks for the feedback!

#4 workbunk

workbunk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Just had a concept idea having a widthy level allowing multiple people to build their bases besides others. because why not! huh! 

Jimi Hendrix ~ I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.

A note for a teachers apprentice.

Fama_h: Are you done the colors yet? It's been 8 years. I need to finish this game already plz

#5 Albert James

Albert James

GMC Member

• 5 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:19 PM

A lot of fun, and addicting. (I'm a sucker for city games.) Plays nice and smooth, haven't noticed any glitches or anything like that so far. About the only thing I can add is that I've found myself wishing there was a way to take down buildings.  I've placed a few buildings in spots where I'm later asking myself "Why did I put that there?" Great job though, keep it up!

Albert James | Producer, Composer & Sound Designer | http://www.albert-james.com

#6 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

A lot of fun, and addicting. (I'm a sucker for city games.) Plays nice and smooth, haven't noticed any glitches or anything like that so far. About the only thing I can add is that I've found myself wishing there was a way to take down buildings.  I've placed a few buildings in spots where I'm later asking myself "Why did I put that there?" Great job though, keep it up!

Me too! Combine that with the clicker-game-addiction and I'm sold, which is why I made it. 

I'll think about taking down buildings, or even moving them. I'm just not sure what controls would be best for additional features for building like that. Right-click showing a pop-up with options?

Thanks for the feedback, and @workbunk: it will probably not turn out to be an MMO-city, sorry :D 

#7 Albert James

Albert James

GMC Member

• 5 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

Not a problem. Yeah, the right click option sounds like a nice idea for that.  Keep up the good work though. It's definitely a fun game to play, I've still been playing it off and on. Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Edited by Albert James, 25 September 2015 - 11:11 PM.

Albert James | Producer, Composer & Sound Designer | http://www.albert-james.com

#8 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

v0020 is out!

Right-click actions move/delete (does not refund the cost, though) and the out-of-screen-boxes should be fixed in this version! :) 

#9 Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Virtual Pie

• GMC Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

I like it. My biggest problem was that I was unable to resize the screen. Unfortunately I don't really have the patience for these types of games, but I really enjoyed messing around with the save file. (4 trillion dollars to prove it :)) There's an impressive amount of depth for such a small game. Keep it up!

Memento Mori.

#10 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:22 PM

I like it. My biggest problem was that I was unable to resize the screen. Unfortunately I don't really have the patience for these types of games, but I really enjoyed messing around with the save file. (4 trillion dollars to prove it :)) There's an impressive amount of depth for such a small game. Keep it up!

Yeah, I figured people would have fun with the save file  :ph34r:

About the resizing - I know it's kind of obvious, but why do you need the resize? Was the window too big/too small? As of right now I am using "Draw GUI" for a lot of things, which turns the game into a mess when fullscreen etc. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that yet, but multiple resolutions would be nice indeed. 

#11 Guadalcanal

Guadalcanal

Virtual Pie

• GMC Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

The window was a little too tall, so the bottom of the window went past the bottom of my screen. I know it can be a little complicated to position the GUI when the window is resized. The game I'm working on right now has a very big and complicated user interface, so it's been a little challenging to get it all to work with a resizable window. I'd suggest simply keeping track of all the buttons you're using and updating their positions whenever the window size changes.

window_get_width()

and

window_get_height()

are very helpful with that :)

Edited by Guadalcanal, 04 October 2015 - 09:05 AM.

Memento Mori.

#12 KayleMaster

KayleMaster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

I can help you with resolutions, I've done it before.

#13 PWL

PWL

The non-pixel-artist

• GMC Member
  • 1191 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

Version 0.0.3 is live!

8f336eeb11.png

The changes for this version is:

• Pause-menu with resolutions and fullscreen option. Pause with "P", it does not pause time/your income!
  • NEW Power supply building. This is now needed for making money while the game is closed! (Keeps your city powered up.)
  • Added some additional text to the infobox for the buildings. 

I'm having some trouble with the buttons below the resolution-dropdown also triggers at random times no matter what I do to prevent it, so I'll have to come back to that at some point.

EDIT: Forgot to add screenshot!

Edited by PWL, 12 October 2015 - 11:50 AM.