14 replies to this topic

#1 GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

What is it?
The GMC “Demake a classic” Jam is an in-between jams jam. To celebrate the upcoming 20th GMC Jam we’re inviting you to take your favourite classic Jam game in a whole new direction!
The GMC Jam has been taking place for almost 5 years and reaches the big 2-0 at the end of October. We’ve seen some great games over the years and we can relive those moments now with a fresh twist!
Remake your own favourite GMC Jam entries in the style of classic games consoles from Gameboy, to NES to the Atari 2600. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy flexing your muscles for the upcoming GMC Jam 20.

• Actual Jam / Game Creation occurs September 12th - 14th for 72 hours

• All games must be created specifically for this jam.
  • Game creation will take place between 0:00 GMT on September 12th and 23:59 GMT on September 14th.
  • Games must be posted in a separate post each in the official games topic before the end of the jam. Your post must contain at least 1 screenshot of your game, a short description and the downloadable .exe version of your game. Including more screenshots & videos, as well as a devlog, is recommended but not necessary.
  • Do not post any discussion posts in this topic, it is for games only. All discussion goes in the discussion topic.

“Demake” rules, theme and restrictions

• Your game must be a “demake” of a GMC Jam entry from any of the previous GMC Jams.
  • This could be one of your own entries, but if you haven’t entered a jam before or you want to demake another famous jam entry you can do so. Just make sure you get permission from the game’s original designer first.* (See bottom of post for more info) 
  • What constitutes a “demake” is entirely up to you. You should probably try to model your game on an old console like the NES, the Gameboy, one of the old Atari models etc. That means limiting your color palette, control methods and sound quality. There are no strict guidelines for this, it will be up to the voters to decide whether your game has a sufficiently retro feel ;)
  • Other than demaking your game (making it feel retro) there are no other themes or handicaps for this jam. Your entry should stay true to the original GMC Jam entry - but it doesn’t need to fit the restrictions of the original jam if they interfere with the premise of this one.

Demaking a previous entry other than your own
If you haven’t entered a GMC Jam before or you don’t want to remake one of your own old entries, you can always demake someone else’s! (Think of it as making a fan-game :P). However, we ask that you make sure this is OK with the original creator of the game and credit them in your game and games topic post. To save you some time we’ve been asking entrants if they will allow their games to be demade by other people! The list of people who said YES is as follows… feel free to demake their Jam games:

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#2 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:07 PM

first? yeah, first!

(wow, started a trend)

GMCynchrotext is happening.

Edited by the ch8t, 12 September 2015 - 01:45 AM.

#3 Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:08 PM

second? yeah, second!

#4 HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:16 PM

(I saw Dan's cartridge and I couldn't help myself to save my life.)

Demake of:  Attack of the Flying Saucers from Outer Space from Jam #17

Style:  Early 80's Apple II computer with monochrome green screen.

Originally by:  Jack Oatley - Programmer

HayManMarc - Art

HayMan's DevLog
Day 1

Day 2
Screenie 004 - Menu
Uploaded the game.  Some of the purchasing isn't working, but I stayed up all night writing code and I have a severe case of the pass-outs.  I'll try to hunt down why some of it isn't working in this last hour.  But regardless, the game works, plays fine and looks nice.  Be sure to read the ReadMe/Help text files because there are none in the game!  True to 1982 form!
Cool.  I found the little problem, so now the purchasing works.  The game progresses a bit too slowly, though.  If I had more time I'd speed it up a bit.  But it does get harder and harder as you play.  Stick with it and see the huge, bullet hell mother ships starting at level 10.  The purchasing/economy needs some tuning and tweaking too, but it's not too horribly terrible awful. 
Now for sleep.

Edited by HayManMarc, 14 September 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#5 Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1876 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:38 PM

Cookie Restaurant: Demake of Cookie House by Kearel

HELP FILE (I had no time to include it in the actual game)

Edited by Snail_Man, 14 September 2015 - 11:46 PM.

Farewell, old GMC.
Although you stole my posts, I shall remember thee always.

Soundcloud : Wizard Battle

#6 Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:35 AM

wjJzkXW.pngzo3ONYo.pngSushidoNES AAUiHip.png ScKcru7.png  

Remember the winner of the IndiesVsGamers Jam and the last GMC Jam? I'm demaking that! :D

My entry for the #GMCdacJAM jam, a NES demake of Sushido. (Remade with permission for Sushido's original creator)

Make sushi with EXTREME VIOLENCE! Catch fish while avoiding treacherous OBSTACLES, then chop them to pieces with ancient japanese KUNG FU! Compete neck-on-neck with the world's best sushi chefs to DOMINATE the online highscore table! Features tons of cute cats to play as!

Download from GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/...shido-nes/91692

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#7 Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:01 AM

I have quit the competition due to lack of free time. I will continue working on the game on a later date. Thank you all for your support.

Edited by Nitemare38, 13 September 2015 - 03:02 PM.

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#8 nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:29 AM

originally by TheSnidr

I've decided to demake doom shark into a semi-traditional shmup-ish thing with some twists.

Download Here: https://app.box.com/...hcoeclvhr3mxf9g

Edited by nvrogers, 14 September 2015 - 01:42 AM.

I work on games sometimes.

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

#9 GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Maggot in a frying pan (6 MB)

Originally by Dadio

Demade by GameDevDan

GIF_menus_zpshbkjw5sj.gif GIF_instructions_zpsvfpn1avf.gif GIF_GamePlay_zpsvznetrgi.gif

DAY 2: 38:10 JAM TIME :: 9:00 WORK TIME

DAY 2 :: 35:15 JAM TIME :: 7:00 WORK TIME

DAY 1 :: 11:00 JAM TIME :: 2:15 WORK TIME

DAY 1 :: 09:00 JAM TIME :: 00:15 WORK TIME

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#10 Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

I'm demaking Detective Pixel's Taco Quest as an old school text game :)

16:20, also Saturday – Editing JSONs that represent stuff in the world:

Sometime before 14:30 on Saturday – Super basic engine and drawing test:

Edited by Nallebeorn, 14 September 2015 - 09:35 PM.

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#11 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

Twerkin' Yaaar!

Originally by dadio

Demade by moi in the style of Tiger Electronic's old Handhelds

DOWNLOAD: http://spellweaverga...ake Edition.zip

HTML5: http://games.spellwe...game=twerkalerk

Escape closes the game, if you're wondering.

Captain's Log

Music is 8-Bit Turkish March from here: https://www.youtube....h?v=NbRRgewHVUM

Font is Display Free from here: http://www.abstractfonts.com/font/8679

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 13 September 2015 - 06:16 AM.

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#12 GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

The existence of the Earth has relied on the spirits since its formation over four billion years ago.

As animals evolved and man conquered the world, the spirits hid themselves away in order to keep the Earth balanced. Some of the spirits became angry at living underground and wanted to roam among the humans, telling them what to do. The other spirits knew they could not allow this to happen and a war raged underground. Eventually the spirit princess, WillO, used her power to trap the spirits in order to stop the world being thrown off balance.

WillO used so much power that she had to sleep for a thousand years. And now, as the thousand years come to an end, she has awakened to a terrifying sight.

The malevolent spirits have escaped, leaving the Benevolent spirits trapped. The only way to restore balance is to free the Benevolent spirits!

Edited by GameGoblin, 14 September 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#13 Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

I am proud(ish) to present to you all:

This is a heartfelt homage to one of the classics of our time - Maggot In A Frying Pan by dadio. I doubt I could do such a masterpiece justice, and I hope that the indiedev gods will forgive me the hubris of trying...

Download it here:

Or get it off itch.io here:

Thank you, and goodnight....

#14 Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:44 PM

Alright, just threw this together in a few hours. Going to release it just because.

Roy's Adventures in Crafting Minus-Minus

(EDIT: Imgur is acting up. Sorry for the lack of screenshot)

Craft together parts of Roy and related paraphernalia to try to create the universe!

Download link

Edited by Mercerenies, 14 September 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#15 Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:58 PM

Well, there we go. I present you the most elaborate joke game in the history of GMC Jam...

GameMaker Community Jam Entertainment SysTem
Download HERE

- some sort of file navigation and usage
- a bunch of my own conventions of files formatting and such, for whatever reason (including files headers, game data and sounds)
- advanced dependencies mechanics that allow using external libraries with varying functionality (and yes, removing or misreferencing these actually )
- a handy scripting language for easy creation of demakes
- exception handling without exception handling
- and all that pretty much made within the Jam timeframe
- not only one, but two demakes: JUST POP BUBBLES and REBUS ::lmao::
- lots of other stuff, I guess

Now go and make your own demake for GMCJEST!

It has been pretty fun Jam overall. I mean, I did lots and lots of silly things that pretty much others won't really care about, which has some weird perversity to it. :P

Edited by Alice, 14 September 2015 - 10:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: games