What is it?
The GMC “Demake a classic” Jam is an in-between jams jam. To celebrate the upcoming 20th GMC Jam we’re inviting you to take your favourite classic Jam game in a whole new direction!
The GMC Jam has been taking place for almost 5 years and reaches the big 2-0 at the end of October. We’ve seen some great games over the years and we can relive those moments now with a fresh twist!
Remake your own favourite GMC Jam entries in the style of classic games consoles from Gameboy, to NES to the Atari 2600. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy flexing your muscles for the upcoming GMC Jam 20.
- Actual Jam / Game Creation occurs September 12th - 14th for 72 hours
- All games must be created specifically for this jam.
- Game creation will take place between 0:00 GMT on September 12th and 23:59 GMT on September 14th.
- Games must be posted in a separate post each in the official games topic before the end of the jam. Your post must contain at least 1 screenshot of your game, a short description and the downloadable .exe version of your game. Including more screenshots & videos, as well as a devlog, is recommended but not necessary.
- Do not post any discussion posts in this topic, it is for games only. All discussion goes in the discussion topic.
“Demake” rules, theme and restrictions
- Your game must be a “demake” of a GMC Jam entry from any of the previous GMC Jams.
- This could be one of your own entries, but if you haven’t entered a jam before or you want to demake another famous jam entry you can do so. Just make sure you get permission from the game’s original designer first.* (See bottom of post for more info)
- What constitutes a “demake” is entirely up to you. You should probably try to model your game on an old console like the NES, the Gameboy, one of the old Atari models etc. That means limiting your color palette, control methods and sound quality. There are no strict guidelines for this, it will be up to the voters to decide whether your game has a sufficiently retro feel
- Other than demaking your game (making it feel retro) there are no other themes or handicaps for this jam. Your entry should stay true to the original GMC Jam entry - but it doesn’t need to fit the restrictions of the original jam if they interfere with the premise of this one.
Demaking a previous entry other than your own
If you haven’t entered a GMC Jam before or you don’t want to remake one of your own old entries, you can always demake someone else’s! (Think of it as making a fan-game ). However, we ask that you make sure this is OK with the original creator of the game and credit them in your game and games topic post. To save you some time we’ve been asking entrants if they will allow their games to be demade by other people! The list of people who said YES is as follows… feel free to demake their Jam games: