Congratulations on making this a hype-filled adventure! Here are the final placings
What is it?
The GMC “Demake a classic” Jam is an in-between jams jam. To celebrate the upcoming 20th GMC Jam we’re inviting you to take your favourite classic Jam game in a whole new direction!
The GMC Jam has been taking place for almost 5 years and reaches the big 2-0 at the end of October. We’ve seen some great games over the years and we can relive those moments now with a fresh twist!
Remake your own favourite GMC Jam entries in the style of classic games consoles from Gameboy, to NES to the Atari 2600. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy flexing your muscles for the upcoming GMC Jam 20.
- The Hype topic opens August 29th
- Actual Jam / Game Creation occurs September 12th - 14th for 72 hours
- Voting occurs September 15th - 25th for 10 days
- Winners announced September 30th
- All games must be created specifically for this jam.
- Game creation will take place between 0:00 GMT on September 12th and 23:59 GMT on September 14th.
- Games must be posted in a separate post each in the official games topic before the end of the jam. Your post must contain at least 1 screenshot of your game, a short description and the downloadable .exe version of your game. Including more screenshots & videos, as well as a devlog, is recommended but not necessary.
“Demake” rules, theme and restrictions
- Your game must be a “demake” of a GMC Jam entry from any of the previous GMC Jams.
- This could be one of your own entries, but if you haven’t entered a jam before or you want to demake another famous jam entry you can do so. Just make sure you get permission from the game’s original designer first.* (See bottom of post for more info)
- What constitutes a “demake” is entirely up to you. You should probably try to model your game on an old console like the NES, the Gameboy, one of the old Atari models etc. That means limiting your color palette, control methods and sound quality. There are no strict guidelines for this, it will be up to the voters to decide whether your game has a sufficiently retro feel
- Other than demaking your game (making it feel retro) there are no other themes or handicaps for this jam. Your entry should stay true to the original GMC Jam entry - but it doesn’t need to fit the restrictions of the original jam if they interfere with the premise of this one.
- Voting will take place in the official voting topic between 10:00 GMT on September 15th and 22:00 GMT on September 25th, lasting approximately 10 days.
- Voters post a single post in the voting topic ranking the games in order. Voters must rate at least 3 games and provide a review for their top three (you can vote for more than 3, but not less).
- You may not vote for your own entry in this jam.
- Votes will be counted using the inverted rank method. ( 1/vote + 1/vote + 1/vote etc…)
- The winner gets the glory of winning the GMC demake a classic Jam, a banner and a place in the hall of fame. This is not a main series jam and as such the winner will not have an affect on the theme of the next GMC Jam.
- Members may offer “community” prizes for any position they like during the jam. You may not offer money, but you can offer graphics, reviews, copies of your own games, anything you like within reason! A list of prizes on offer so far is as follows:
- Diptoman:Top 3 and my favorite demake of any of my jam games (if any) will get to choose from the following Steam games: Godus, Overture, Hero Of The Kingdom 2, New Star Soccer 5 -That's one for each, so choosing will be in order of preference: My favorite demake - 1st - 2nd - 3rd
- Nitemare38: The people in 1st and 2nd place will get fan art of their demake game.
- Offer a prize by messaging me!
Looking for a team
You may team up with other members for this jam. The current list of members looking for teammates is as follows:
Demaking a previous entry other than your own
If you haven’t entered a GMC Jam before or you don’t want to remake one of your own old entries, you can always demake someone else’s! (Think of it as making a fan-game ). However, we ask that you make sure this is OK with the original creator of the game and credit them in your game and games topic post. To save you some time we’ve been asking entrants if they will allow their games to be demade by other people! The list of people who said YES is as follows… feel free to demake their Jam games:
To add your name to the Prize list, the Teammates list or the Demake approval list, PM GameDevDan.
Add the banner to your signature to support this jam!
Use the hashtag #GMCdacJAM on Twitter to drum up interest
Officially endorsed by Dadio and Nocturne.