Photo

Hello! I'm Shaun, Your new Community Manager!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
216 replies to this topic

#101 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:54 AM

I'm just taking this opportunity to introduce myself and give anyone and everyone here the chance to ask me anything about anything.

Are you a white male?  :P  Just kidding, couldn't resist.

Back on topic:  What games did you work on at Ubisoft?   What are you working on now (in your spare time, of course)?  Do you have an specific plans as YYG Community manager?  Like upcoming events, contests, community out-reach stuff, etc. ?

#102 roa

roa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1042 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:28 AM

I think I am out of the loop here. Don't hang or shoot me, but what is your youtube cause I don't think I have ever heard of you?

It's been a great time being here with you all. Couldn't ask for a better group of people on a community forum. Hope to see you guys stick around for the new board. Cheers! :thanks:

#103 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

I don't understand why I'm getting so much hate. I was just curious. I really don't care.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#104 roa

roa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1042 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:26 AM

I don't understand why I'm getting so much hate. I was just curious. I really don't care.

I wont say it was a dumb question, but a careless one.

Text has little tone or context and when you bring up things with highly polarized ideologues and ideas with politically charged stigmas, some people will associate that with some sort of stance of your opinion even when you made no intension of such a thing. Don't be apologetic or dismissive about it, cause that gives the impression you know you dabbled into something touchy and can turn up the aggression to you based on someone's stance towards your question. because you started off being apologetic, people assumed you already knew it was questionable, and then you proceeded to ask a potentially polarized question. Being steadfast and assertive on the original point would have put your tone as inquisitive and not such much as borderline snarky or digging into agendas as some people may see.

Your question would have probably faired a lot better had it been something like "Are there any/how many females that work directly with yoyo games?" or "Are there people that work at yoyo with non European backgrounds" though this probably is not the right place to ask those out right. When you acknowledged it was politically charged, and then put them on point for "diversity" by assuming all of them were white males, you basically opened yourself up to it.

Edited by roa, 24 August 2015 - 05:28 AM.

It's been a great time being here with you all. Couldn't ask for a better group of people on a community forum. Hope to see you guys stick around for the new board. Cheers! :thanks:

#105 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

Congrats to you, Shaun. Like your tutorials. I actually speculated that YYG would pick you up, some time back. Good move by both parties.

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#106 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Don't worry, nobody hates you.   Your question was awkward, but no harm done.

Anyway... I hope Shaun does well in this position.  I know that GMC members enjoy hearing details about YoYoGames' activities and plans.   So maybe Shaun can give us more of that.

Even stuff that's not so important, or even related to GameMaker, can be fun to hear about.   I remember that Sandy used to occasionally post photos of YYG people, the office, or even pub night.   It can get kinda dull waiting for 2.0.  :P   So some "filler" in the meantime might be fun.

#107 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

I think it's an interesting observation, bit out of nowhere but interesting none the less. I'd probably argue that the high number of white males employed by us is more indicative of a trend in wider culture than it is a trend specifically at YYG though. You can observe the trend across the majority of the games industry. That said, it's a pretty deep and often polarizing discussion and I'm not sure this thread is the ideal place to have that conversation. =)

I think I am out of the loop here. Don't hang or shoot me, but what is your youtube cause I don't think I have ever heard of you?

https://www.youtube....user/999Greyfox !

I make tutorial videos, so if you've ever googled "Game Maker Tutorial" and found lots of big annoying green video thumbnails it's probably my fault =)

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#108 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Shaun, I hope you can answer some of the questions posed here (like mine in post #101).  You said we could ask anything, right?  :wink:

#109 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

Couldn't resist reading the topic title in Baymax' voice and tone. :P

"Hi, I'm Shaun. Your personal community manager."

Anyway, welcome aboard! Would love to see you visit the dark side off-topic forum, you'll meet lots of annoying amazing people there. As a community manager, I think it's a good thing to blend in and get to know with the GMC regulars. We'll be good, don't worry! ;)

xgzQT2A.png

#110 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

I'm just taking this opportunity to introduce myself and give anyone and everyone here the chance to ask me anything about anything.

Are you a white male?  :P  Just kidding, couldn't resist.

Back on topic:  What games did you work on at Ubisoft?   What are you working on now (in your spare time, of course)?  Do you have an specific plans as YYG Community manager?  Like upcoming events, contests, community out-reach stuff, etc. ?

I did quite a bit of work on the open world mini-games and level design of an open world driving game called The Crew. I worked on a lot of other projects too but many of them were unfortunately cancelled. Such is game development.  I have a spare time project called "Calamity" which is a strange, sad, homage to Majora's Mask. I've been working on it for a while but it moves very slowly =)

I have plans to do more of what I was doing already, and working with tutorial & education content so that people growing up with our tool have a better understanding of it. I can't confirm a lot of other stuff just yet but I have some cool thoughts and ideas for events/contests etc too =) first of all though I want to get settled in around here and really come to fully understand this community. I have a good grasp already with the work I've done on YouTube etc but until now I've never been as present as I would have liked to have been on these forums and I'm glad I have the excuse to be around lots from now on =D

-S

Hey shaun! i'm your average user of an unimportant accord, how're you doing?

Unimportant? Average? Bah, don't talk yourself down!

I'm doing excellent, thank you for asking =)

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#111 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

I'd probably argue that the high number of white males employed by us is more indicative of a trend in wider culture than it is a trend specifically at YYG though.

I'd argue that it probably has more to do with the company being based in Scotland, which is a white country.

I'd also argue that is probably has more to do with YYG employing the most capable people at hand rather than the token black guy so they can all pretend they're good at basketball because they're stood next to a black man in the company Christmas photo.

And if you're really going to press me here, I'd guess most of them are men because well, there are more male programmers lurking about than female ones. So instead of going on a witch hunt for female code geeks on the internet, Sandy decided to use his dating profile for more constructive purposes.

Edited by Rusty, 24 August 2015 - 02:10 PM.

tumblr_ngbm3tNUVy1thlk7do1_75sq.png

Professor Kayge says: "Play Project Jin! I'm sure it's been released by whatever year you're reading this in!"

#112 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

I did quite a bit of work on the open world mini-games and level design of an open world driving game called The Crew.

Cool.  I've seen some trailers / videos of that game.  Never played it, but I love the graphics and soundtrack.   It's fun that it uses real-world locations and landmarks.

I can't confirm a lot of other stuff just yet but I have some cool thoughts and ideas for events/contests etc too =)

Hope to see those ideas.  YYG has a good track record of supporting contests and student programs.  Are any of these ideas for GMC events?

#113 gamerwoman3d

gamerwoman3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

Hi Shaun!  How was Ludum Dare?

I did read a bit about Calamity on your blog, but I didn't know it had a name.  I'm curious - What flavor of apocalypse will you use in Calamity?

#114 greengelu

greengelu

GMC Member

• 18 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

YAY - Shaun is like the Godfather of almost all GM games XD

#115 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

Couldn't resist reading the topic title in Baymax' voice and tone. :P

"Hi, I'm Shaun. Your personal community manager."

Anyway, welcome aboard! Would love to see you visit the dark side off-topic forum, you'll meet lots of annoying amazing people there. As a community manager, I think it's a good thing to blend in and get to know with the GMC regulars. We'll be good, don't worry! ;)

Yeah man, I want to try and be around as much as possible =)

Hi Shaun!  How was Ludum Dare?

I did read a bit about Calamity on your blog, but I didn't know it had a name.  I'm curious - What flavor of apocalypse will you use in Calamity?

It was good! I don't think the game I produced was necessarily my best work to date but I think it came out ok, was interesting and I had a lot of fun making it and learned a lot. Which is always the goal =). I made a strange tragic story about a giant trying to make friends.

Re: Calamity, I'd decided, but then I undecided. Originally I was going with a meteor/sun/big round cosmic entity similar to Majora's Mask. But I don't think that plays to the strengths of the design anymore (notably, being top down.). I'm playing around with things that are obviously cataclysmic but their cause is less... explicitly stated. (One could still decide it was a falling moon/planet for example. Or they could decide it was something more like the Calamity of Bastion? Or even a black hole?) It's in a sort of 'interpretable' state at the moment! Which I like, because the effect is ultimately more meaningful than the cause.

Edited by ShaunS, 24 August 2015 - 08:05 PM.

-S

#116 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

Side note, I love the way your name is spelled.

High five ur parents for me.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#117 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

We've truncated his name... it's actually "Shaun the Sheep

#118 gamerwoman3d

gamerwoman3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

Re: Calamity, I'd decided, but then I undecided. Originally I was going with a meteor/sun/big round cosmic entity similar to Majora's Mask. But I don't think that plays to the strengths of the design anymore (notably, being top down.)

For a top-down apocalypse, I think I'd either say gravity is suddenly and gradually getting stronger daily (nobody has the energy to jump, and I could work that into the mechanics AND the symbolism of depression, simultaneously.)
But, maybe that should be in a different topic thread.

#119 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

aahh now i know who shaun is, quick tell roa  :lol:

#120 roa

roa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1042 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

aahh now i know who shaun is, quick tell roa  :lol:

Oh, I found him online after posting. It's just I never look for video tutorials as I pretty much know how to solve 99% of my issues now days. Never heard his name come up on work he has done or anything and when everyone is singing his praises of how he slayed the dragon, I had no idea if I was supposed to know this guy somehow lmao. I didn't even know who he was before this thread or even recognized his works from afar so I was awkwardly out of the loop. Some of you are acting like it's a celeb carpet run, and I'm over here like" hi stranger" lol

Edited by roa, 24 August 2015 - 10:58 PM.

#121 obscene

obscene

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3171 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

Shaun's awesome mainly because when someone asks some nooby question on the GMC you can link to his videos and know they are in good hands.

#122 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

same here roa, i suppose people only know him if they are very new to game maker and find it a bit harder to understand than we do, not that i understand that much though LOL, iv just never needed to watch video's on how to do something as the manual is pretty good at learning you, plus i think getting stuck for a day or two is good as it makes you learn to code a lot better and it sticks then.

#123 burritocanon

burritocanon

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

Congratulations Shawn,

Your Youtube channel has been a big help for myself in introducing GameMaker.
Lots of help and inspirations from your work. Thank you very much.

Cheers,
burritoc

Edited by burritocanon, 14 October 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#124 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

So I should call him Shau-au-au-au-aun?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#125 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

i suppose people only know him if they are very new to game maker and find it a bit harder to understand than we do, not that i understand that much though LOL

Maybe Shaun's videos would help? X'D

Edited by HopelessComposer, 27 August 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#126 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

Vaguely relevant: Shaun just released a new tutorial about how to write clean, concise code! I urge everyone to watch this. :3

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#127 Nexusrex

Nexusrex

WRYYYY!

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

<Snip>

YARU..You tricked me..D': I was going to watch it...Why?? Lol..

#128 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

Vaguely relevant: Shaun just released a new tutorial about how to write clean, concise code! I urge everyone to watch this. :3

ಠ_ಠ

-S

#129 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

ಠ_ಠ

Shaun Valhalla, is that you?

#130 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

True Valhalla:  "Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father."

ShaunS: "He told me enough! He told me YOU killed him."

True Valhalla:  "No, I am your father...."

ShaunS: "No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!"

True Valhalla: "Search your feelings, you *know* it to be true!"

ShaunS: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

#131 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hey hey hey hey hey, that face is public domain.

-S

#132 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

This video contains content from MTV India, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

It's odd. I wanted to watch that and see what Shaun had got.

#133 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

This video contains content from MTV India, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

It's odd. I wanted to watch that and see what Shaun had got.
Spoiler

You mean the one about writing clean, concise code? Here's a transcript (although slightly modified to fit better in written form)

Muck around even with those who cannot bleat (keep it in mind, he's one of a kind) – life's a treat with Shaun S. He doesn't miss a trick or ever lose a beat. Perhaps one day, you'll find a way, to come and meet with Shaun S – come and bleat with Shaun S!

It's bleat as a figure of speech, obviously – it's not like he's a sheep or something, lol.

Spoiler

Edited by Nallebeorn, 28 August 2015 - 03:00 PM.

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#134 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:15 AM

Welcome, are you here to change destines for the greater good ?

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#135 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:32 PM

He is here for the women and the cash :)

#136 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

He is here for the women and the cash :)

The women like other women, and the pay sucks.

He's out of luck.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#137 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:02 AM

He's out of luck.

Are you suggesting that the women on the GMC are all lesbians? ::lmao::

#138 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

He's out of luck.

No. NO. I know where this is going. This topic is going to be derailed so hard that ero-pics of Noc and Dadio would be involved. Stop it guys, before it's too late.

xgzQT2A.png

#139 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

He's out of luck.

No. NO. I know where this is going. This topic is going to be derailed so hard that ero-pics of Noc and Dadio would be involved. Stop it guys, before it's too late.

Indeed.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#140 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Why does every topic here end up like this?

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#141 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

<quote snip>

T'was a joke. That's all.

I haven't seen Shaun around here very much since this topic was posted.

Is he still being trained or is he just lazy like the last guy?

None of YoYo's social media has been very busy from what I can tell.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#142 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:37 PM

T'was a joke. That's all.

Hehe! I know. So was my reply :)

#143 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:29 PM

maybe we scared him off with all our crude humor or maybe he is a little sheepish :lol: , sorry shaun we don't mean it, we just cant help it, you'll soon get used to it :wink:  

Edited by jackhigh24, 30 August 2015 - 11:29 PM.

#144 gamerwoman3d

gamerwoman3d

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

:whistle:

#145 kaylachrist

kaylachrist

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

Nice to meet you, Shaun. Your Youtube videos were some of the first I watched when I was just getting started with Game Maker. Small world! :)

#146 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Nice to meet you, Shaun. Your Youtube videos were some of the first I watched when I was just getting started with Game Maker. Small world! :)

Your username made me wonder, how come Christ is such an uncommon surname? You'd think with the big 'J' having the surname, it would be a bit more common. Wouldn't you?

#147 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

maybe we scared him off with all our crude humor or maybe he is a little sheepish :lol: , sorry shaun we don't mean it, we just cant help it, you'll soon get used to it :wink:  

lol, I'm mostly doing a lot of reading ;)

-S

#148 Dragonite

Dragonite

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:04 PM

ask me anything about anything.

Heh. I'll save my more inane questions for Twitch . . . anyway, I'm like two weeks late here, but congratulations!

zIatugK.png

#149 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

A fan of staplers

• GMC Member
  • 840 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

ask me anything about anything.

What's the meaning of life? Where do babies come from? Who should be the next US president? Which country has the highest annual potato consumption per capita? Was the legalisation of Marijuana in Uruguay a good move? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Is there life after death? Android or Apple phones and tablets? What is the answer to the ultimate question about life, universe and everything? What is the weight of an average cow?

Edited by Lukasmah, 31 August 2015 - 07:24 PM.

This is my signature. Isn't it nice?

#150 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

What is the weight of an average cow? 

753 kg, although it varies considerably between different breeds.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!