• Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:26 PM

Sore o kopi

• Category: 2D Casual (?)
  • File Size: 2.97 MB
  • File Type: Zip
  • Download Link: Dropbox

Description:

This game was created for the GMC Jam #19, and the goal is to teach you how to draw Japanese characters! There are two game modes: Learn and Time Trial. In the "Learn" mode, you have all the time in the world to learn how to draw the characters and maybe even read one or two of the accompanying poems! However, in the "Time Trial" mode you have to draw the characters fast if you want to keep setting a higher and higher highscore!

Screenshots:

Learn mode:

Capture.png

Time Trial mode:

Capture.png

Note:

I claim no ownership of any of the poems that appear in the game, however I forgot to write down the authors for proper crediting, I apologize to them for that. All sound effects are public domain.

Future Development:

If you have any kind of Japanese knowledge when it comes to literature and writing then PM if you are interested in being the content manager for the game.

If you have any kind of knowledge about music or sound effects then PM me if you are interested in making the sound effects for this game (custom made ones, not generic public domain ones) or the background music(s) for the game.

If you have any kind of knowledge when it comes to graphics then PM me if you are interested in creating the game's graphics (made by someone with talent, not just me and googled Japanese characters).

Other than that, have fun and leave feedback!

Edited by rui.rosario, 21 July 2015 - 04:09 PM.

Remember me as the one who can't be remembered

#2 Druida.Filipe

Druida.Filipe

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

This is actually quite interesting and a good way to learn, well done!

#3 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

This is actually quite interesting and a good way to learn, well done!

I managed to find someone with Japanese knowledge, so it will be further improved

#4 ArchbishopDave

ArchbishopDave

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

This was really cool! I played it for a couple of minutes and while I'm not so sure I actually learned any Japanese from it (Some of those characters are pretty complicated!) it was an entertaining experience none the less.

Here are the comments / concerns that I had

• Perhaps highlight errant marks in a different color than black? I didn't realize you were penalized for drawing where you weren't supposed to, and trying to find where you 'went over the line' was pretty difficult so that you could erase those spots.
  • In the learning mode, I'd suggest bumping up the line a bit. While okay for time trial, I was frequently bumped to the next character without having really finished the previous one. I think setting the bar to hard mode's requirement would be appropriate for learning mode. That's just me though!

In any case, this was really cool and well done! If you continue working on this, I'm sure there's a bunch of features and quality of life improvements you could make to greatly enhance the experience. Excellent stuff!

OR5Mb2z.png

#5 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

This was really cool! I played it for a couple of minutes and while I'm not so sure I actually learned any Japanese from it (Some of those characters are pretty complicated!) it was an entertaining experience none the less.

Here are the comments / concerns that I had

• Perhaps highlight errant marks in a different color than black? I didn't realize you were penalized for drawing where you weren't supposed to, and trying to find where you 'went over the line' was pretty difficult so that you could erase those spots.
  • In the learning mode, I'd suggest bumping up the line a bit. While okay for time trial, I was frequently bumped to the next character without having really finished the previous one. I think setting the bar to hard mode's requirement would be appropriate for learning mode. That's just me though!

In any case, this was really cool and well done! If you continue working on this, I'm sure there's a bunch of features and quality of life improvements you could make to greatly enhance the experience. Excellent stuff!

Glad you enjoyed it! I will continue to work on this, as I found out by talking to an acquaintance of mine there is actually a specific order in which you have to draw the characters, so that will possibly be the first thing I'll majorly change in the game.

Concerning your comments: since this was for the Jam I tried to bring the game up to a minimum level of quality, so many details of what I would like it to be are missing (more noticeable text when in game and such), although I hadn't thought about that different highlight idea! So thank you for that idea ;)

About the learn mode, I did consider increasing or even removing the limit, but I ended up not including it though. I should probably have done it :P

#6 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

I like this. I get to learn stuff from another language I tried to learn to read years ago, I get to paint, and feel accomplished whenever I do something right :) This is pretty cool

*I would upvote if I could...but I can't

#7 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

I like this. I get to learn stuff from another language I tried to learn to read years ago, I get to paint, and feel accomplished whenever I do something right :) This is pretty cool

*I would upvote if I could...but I can't

Glad you like it :D However be aware the Japanese characters have strict rules of drawing (the strokes must be made in a particular order and such) so this version of the game doesn't teach you that, but future versions will include it :)

Edited by rui.rosario, 25 July 2015 - 02:57 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, desktop, casual