#1 DJ Coco

DJ Coco

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

UXQBG96.png

Welcome, GMC! I've been working on a Mario Kart fangame for quite a while now. Now the game is complete and ready for release. Start your engines and get racing in this new game of mine! I hope you enjoy this game as much as I enjoyed making it.
The game features 12 characters, 8 of which are playable from the start. There are 16 tracks split up into four cups. If you get a trophy in one of the cups while playing in Grand Prix mode, you will unlock its respective characters. Additional to the Grand Prix mode there is also Time Trial mode where you can try to set up record times on your favorite tracks, as well as Vs Race where you can play with your own rules. You can customize speed class, CPU difficulty, which items appear, and more.

Controls

Spoiler

The 16 tracks

Spoiler

Screenshots

Spoiler

Videos

Spoiler

Q&A

Spoiler

SPECIAL GIVEAWAY!

Spoiler

>>Download now! (Box, 67.11MB)<<

Edited by DJ Coco, 01 July 2015 - 04:29 PM.

RyZz54p.png

#2 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

You make some of the most beautiful 3D Mario games I've seen in GameMaker.

This looks really good, I'll give it a play sometime soon.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#3 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:49 PM

This is awesome! The game has true mario kart feel, and the graphics are beautiful!

Spoiler

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#4 benway

benway

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

Wow! What an AWESOME game! Congratulations, DJ Coco: You did it AGAIN!

1441.png144.pngAppIcon72x72@2x1.pngicon_144.pngicon_192-e1410036723771.png

#5 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

Wow... When I first saw your post I thought... "oh, another Mario Kart clone" thinking it would be some very bare bones attempt at the game - Not the case, this looks awesome! Good work, definitely need to try it out soon.

Please check out Rogue Harvest on Steam: http://store.steampo....com/app/409490

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

Thanks x1000 for any & all support!  :bunny: 

#6 Neon Jackal

Neon Jackal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:50 AM

I can see you put a lot of effort into this but I just wasn't feeling it, I didn't really enjoy it and felt that the karts didn't control all that well(the drifting was awkward). Only played the first cup but it ran fine up until the last track with all the Boos, changing the fps didn't help. On the plus side all the menus and transitions and other similar elements were really nice.

#7 Monstr Gaming

Monstr Gaming

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:20 AM

This game is amazing. I didn't have a problem with performance, I could play the game well at 60 (although, I guess my pc is just better).

But I didn't really like how the karts felt to drive, it made it difficult to enjoy the game. 

I think the main problem was with drifting, you were able to change the direction you drifted during the initial jump.

This meant I had to start by doing a tight drift (and it's a really tight drift) or I'd drift the wrong way. I played on the first cup and it was ok for the first 3 tracks, but I found the 4th way too difficult because of how drifting worked.

Bullet Bill seems really underpowered to me.

But as I said the game is amazing, it's obvious a lot of work has been put in. I wish I could make a game this good.  :lol:

Edited by Monstr Gaming, 01 July 2015 - 06:21 AM.

youtube.png

#8 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

This looks really cool, especially how the terrain isn't completely flat all over the place like in most other 3D racing games :D

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#9 Captain Coco

Captain Coco

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

Needs more honking.

#10 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

By far the best Mario Kart game I've seen made with Game Maker. Wish my computer was faster so I could play it more smoothly.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#11 Mocgames998

Mocgames998

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Are the collisions all done in GML, or did you use an extension? (Or kingspace?)

???

It looks like I can finally put something here, before the GMC goes down:

Spoiler

#12 DJ Coco

DJ Coco

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

Are the collisions all done in GML, or did you use an extension? (Or kingspace?)

Everything is done in GML. The slope collisions were made using logarithm and square functions.

RyZz54p.png

#13 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

The attention to detail is insane, and the game feels very polished as a result. The graphics are gorgeous (although the characters and karts feel like they could use more polygons, and possibly a graphical option to control them alongside the frame rate). However, I have a few issues with the gameplay, and I did notice a couple of oversights.

- While I'd rather play with a gamepad, there should have been an option or quick-press in order to swap between the two. If I wanted to use the keyboard, that would have meant unplugging the gamepad which isn't ideal.

- There's no analog steering with the gamepad, which makes steering kind of awkward. I know Mario Kart isn't about apexes and shortest/straightest lines, but steering all-or-nothing doesn't feel right.

- Some kart noises would be nice. The game felt a bit too quiet, even with the nice music.

- I hit a booster pad and didn't turn well enough before I was flung off the road. Upon being dropped off, the boost continued.

- It seems you don't have to drive through the actual finish gate in order for a lap to be counted. This means that (especially with a few mushrooms) you can take a major shortcut on some of the tracks, like Donut Hills.

- The rear wheels are turning along with the front. This wouldn't make a kart turn, but strafe. :P

- The kart should angle with the slopes so it looks like they're actually driving up them instead of climbing.

- The tracks feel really narrow. Given the speed you move and the tight turns at times, I spend a lot of time either off the track, or bumping into obstacles and competitors. There's little room to maneuver and it makes the karts feel gigantic.

- Drifting doesn't feel right at all. I either make a hard turn in the direction I want to drift and go veering off the track, or I try to compensate for the drift's direction and end up going the complete opposite way I intended to. When a drift is "successful", it just felt like a regular turn and I didn't seem to get anything out of it (besides a speed boost where applicable).
Jmds8UL.png

#14 DJ Coco

DJ Coco

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

- There's no analog steering with the gamepad, which makes steering kind of awkward. I know Mario Kart isn't about apexes and shortest/straightest lines, but steering all-or-nothing doesn't feel right.

That's weird. I did implement that and it was confirmed working by several betatesters.

- I hit a booster pad and didn't turn well enough before I was flung off the road. Upon being dropped off, the boost continued.

Chances are you hit the gas at the very moment you hit the floor. This grants you a recovery boost.

- It seems you don't have to drive through the actual finish gate in order for a lap to be counted. This means that (especially with a few mushrooms) you can take a major shortcut on some of the tracks, like Donut Hills.

It has always been like this in Mario Kart :P

- The rear wheels are turning along with the front. This wouldn't make a kart turn, but strafe. :P

sh*t

- The kart should angle with the slopes so it looks like they're actually driving up them instead of climbing.

I tried adding that but then I realized I sucked

- The tracks feel really narrow. Given the speed you move and the tight turns at times, I spend a lot of time either off the track, or bumping into obstacles and competitors. There's little room to maneuver and it makes the karts feel gigantic.

Hmm, I thought they felt broad enough given the speed you travel at as opposed to faster games like F-Zero

- Drifting doesn't feel right at all. I either make a hard turn in the direction I want to drift and go veering off the track, or I try to compensate for the drift's direction and end up going the complete opposite way I intended to. When a drift is "successful", it just felt like a regular turn and I didn't seem to get anything out of it (besides a speed boost where applicable).

Most people seem to have complaints with drifting, which I can't really understand. I think the option to steer grants you perfect control, such as cutting curves and building up a speed boost over a short straight, whereas regular drifting drifts slowly to the outside like normal MK games. Hm.

RyZz54p.png

#15 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

That's weird. I did implement that and it was confirmed working by several betatesters.

Definitely take another look at it!

It has always been like this in Mario Kart :P

Yep, just tested in in Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64. News to me! :P

Most people seem to have complaints with drifting, which I can't really understand. I think the option to steer grants you perfect control, such as cutting curves and building up a speed boost over a short straight, whereas regular drifting drifts slowly to the outside like normal MK games. Hm.

Well, if you're steering during a drift then it just feels like a less stable way to turn (especially with how much tighter you can turn during a drift as opposed to just regularly turning), and if you're not going sideways (which seems to be really hard to pull off if it is indeed possible) then you can't take the corners from the kind of angles you couldn't if you were just regularly turning, which means you'll either need to slow down or you're going to go off the track from the outside.
Jmds8UL.png

#16 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:43 PM

I've played a lot of mario kart in my days (I was actually one of those 9999 point douchebags you couldn't beat in MarioKart Wii online xD).

I have to agree with that drifting is different. The main difference is that in official MK games, you can aaalmost keep your car in a straight line while drifting by turning towards the "outside" of the drift.

In this game, even when fully fighting against the drift, the kart is turning quite a lot - which makes it very hard to control.

like, in MK Wii, I often start drifting way ahead of the actual turn and fight against the drifitng so the kart almost drives straight. And only in the last second do I turn as much as I can:

mkdriftng.png

So I think what you can do to "fix" the drifting is to simply adjust the angles the car drift at (especially decreasing the turning amount when turning in the opposite direction of the drift)

Edited by Mornedil, 03 July 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#17 DJ Coco

DJ Coco

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

I'm used to inside drifting bikes in Mario Kart 8 which is probably also a reason why the mechanics differ somewhat from the actual karts. MKWii also had somewhat iffy controls to me, so I didn't take that game as a guideline. I'll keep your suggestion in mind, though. Thanks for sharing!

RyZz54p.png

#18 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

I was actually gonna say that it reminds me more of drifting with bikes, they usually turn more narrow when drifting :P

Edited by Mornedil, 03 July 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#19 Paolo Mazzon

Paolo Mazzon

Has Too Much Time

• GMC Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:30 AM

Man, this is actually the best 3D game I have ever seen in gamemaker. Phenomenal work.

#20 lolslayer

lolslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

How to download?

Everytime i click download, nothing happens?

#21 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

How to download?

When you click...

...A new tab will pop up. Inside the newly opened tab, click "download" one more time.
If a tab doesn't pop up, perhaps you are using a popup blocker?

#22 lolslayer

lolslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

How to download?

When you click...

...A new tab will pop up. Inside the newly opened tab, click "download" one more time.
If a tab doesn't pop up, perhaps you are using a popup blocker?

The tab does pop up, but when I click download then, then nothing happens :/

#23 BinaryMonKey

BinaryMonKey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

Link doesn't work in any browser for me neither

#24 BobFish

BobFish

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

yep not downloading on firefox or chrome for me

After using GameMaker since 2009, I've finally begun working on my first big project which is an economic simulation / tycoon game.

My Site: www.BobFishProductions.com

My Twitter: @RealBobFish

fs.png

#25 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

Same issue here. Can you host on dropbox or something like that? Maybe mega.co.nz?

LD-Logo-sml.png

#26 DJ Coco

DJ Coco

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

Alternate download from MFGG:
http://mfgg.net/inde...02&c=2&id=31532

RyZz54p.png

#27 modler2

modler2

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

wonderful work! would kill to get my hands on the engine here to figure out how to you did the drifting and slopes!

#28 Suspense

Suspense

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

This is so incredibly good... It's a bit difficult but man it brought me back instantly. This is really impressive. I can't believe it's made with Game Maker.

#29 man_of_pripyat

man_of_pripyat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 146 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

this is hilarious,this guy makes a copy of a known game,with characters already created,and everyone praises the product,this is the way of these times,sad sad but true,you have to support people that create new stuff,created by themselves,not something like this,it´s really dissapointing,i tell you another thing,this is not the future of videogames,old franchises copies are not the future of videogames

#30 Suspense

Suspense

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

this is hilarious,this guy makes a copy of a known game,with characters already created,and everyone praises the product,this is the way of these times,sad sad but true,you have to support people that create new stuff,created by themselves,not something like this,it´s really dissapointing,i tell you another thing,this is not the future of videogames,old franchises copies are not the future of videogames

You mean making a fan game for free isn't the future of games? Really? Your comment is so utterly pretentious that it's pathetic. You are basically saying that bands shouldn't ever do cover songs because that isn't the future of music.

If a guy wants to make a fan game of Mario Kart or any other game that is their own business and people who enjoy those games may play them, for free mind you, and have fun.

Also, in making this game he has created an engine that can be used for any 3d kart racing game on Game Maker which could be a huge asset to anyone looking to make a kart game in the future that isn't Mario Kart.

The only thing hillarious is your idiocy on what was done and your close-minded attitude.

Go and make sure that all of the new programmers refuse to follow the pong and breakout tutorials. We would hate for them to get the idea that copying succesful engines is helpful.

(Meanwhile your game that you've posted is a top-down zombie shooter...)

Edited by Suspense, 12 February 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#31 Paolo Mazzon

Paolo Mazzon

Has Too Much Time

• GMC Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:18 AM

I see where you are coming from, I get that this person already had the game designed, but I certainly agree with Suspense about the cover songs analogy. But what you do miss is the sheer skill and amount of knowledge to be able to make a game like this. This project is no small undertaking, regardless of the work already done by Nintendo; and I think it is unfair to minimize the work of DJ Coco like that. 

#32 Dragonite

Dragonite

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:26 AM

Couldn't download through Chrome, Firefox or Opera for some reason, had to do so through my phone and then download the file from my phone   :P

That aside . . . wow. Only played a few races, but . . . wow. I'm going to spend a LOT of time playing this in the next few weeks, that's for sure. Ever going to update with "retro" tracks? :D

That's now how this works. At all. People are free to make whatever games they want to, and a half hour of this is higher quality and has more attention to detail than 95% of the stuff I've ever found on GameJolt and places like that.

zIatugK.png

#33 RoundCircleandSphere314628

RoundCircleandSphere314628

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 81 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:02 AM

I cannot download this from Box.net, please upload in MediaFire because you probably have a 10 GB bandwidth limit on box.net and noone can download it.

I think the reason people are attracted to remake games using old material is because their is a geniune lack of flagship mascot characters in the game industry. MasterChief is the last big one and that was 10 years ago. Nowadays indie games come up with lack luster environments with a dead and sickening energy, a kind of sickness associated with hipster-ism. People yearn for the old nintendo mascots because of the freshness and purity, freedom of ego they represent. They are not mediocre, lack luster characters created by hipsters as an after thought.

I am going to post my review, which is burning hot, because as a matter of fact i have no soul, which is why I can see things clearly and I am not flooded with nostalgic chemicals as the sight of the "Mario' franchise. Other people have been blown away by this enchanted sticker, as well as the fact that this game isn't utter crap like most of the other 3d indie racing games. It isn't utter crap, but it isn't anything great, either. The turning is terrible, on some tracks I literally had to completely stop to turn my kart each turn in order to not fall off. There is a reason only two people have beaten the game on 150cc. The tracks are too narrow, the turning is terrible, the difficulty is too high, the crab obstacles are too dense. It seems little to no polish was put into this game. The drifting is terrible. The turning is terrible. The sound effects are poorly mixed, the item sound hurts my ears and is much too high volume. The cars feel like they are floating because they have no sound effects half of the time. The lag is atrocious, even on 15 Fps there is lag. There is no real reason for this other than bad coding because there doesn't seem much high polygons in the map (except the track seems excessively smooth which could explain some of the lag.) Mostly the game has a bit of flash, but little substance, and not even that much flash. You can do better. I know you can. The camera on hills is atrocious and you cant see more than a few meters ahead. The default control schemes are unintuitive. This game doesn't belong in finished projects, but beta-work in progress, because I know you can make this game so much better than it is. I know you're probably sick of working on this game but to other people it's like their first time playing. Optimize the code. Fix the sound effects. Actually do some playtesting on the turning and drifting with your friends and family. Tweak the graphics, the karts are too dry and unibright looking. Tweak the road widths. But above all, make it fun. You don't even have any tire effects on the road or grass. The game is sorely lacking in juice. Juice is defined here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216_5nu4aVQ 

All in all, it's just not good enough.

Feel free to downvote this review if your ego demands it.

Edited by RoundCircleandSphere314628, 17 February 2016 - 02:17 AM.

"The fall of Luminiferous aether marked the fall of rational civilization." 

J8RZAKE.pngFirst place winner of best gameplay/most fun game of Psuedo 3D Game Jam

Also winner of highest speed/performance of Psuedo 3D Game Jam

Star Crisis - http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=691331&hl=

#34 davidrohusch

davidrohusch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

Dont you have problems with copyrights?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, 3d, action, arcade