#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

https://yoyogames.com/tech_blog/119

As game developers, it's very easy for us to take things like the user interface and HUD (heads-up-display) design for granted. I mean, how hard can it be to make a couple of buttons and a healthbar? As it turns out it's not very hard at all... With the GUI layer and a couple of objects you can quickly throw together menu elements and HUD elements in GameMaker: Studio, but the difficulty comes in making them user friendly, unobtrusive and consistent. The UI (user Interface) for Skein went through various iterations before I finally felt that I got this right, and in this weeks article we'll talk about the reasons behind the final designs and the problems with the ones I had initially.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

Menu and HUD design is very easy to overlook as "something to work on later". You've managed to get some really nice menus here.

What I got from this, however, was how amazing the characters waving goodbye in that last GIF is. That's a very nice little detail. 

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:50 PM

Menu and HUD design is very easy to overlook as "something to work on later". You've managed to get some really nice menus here.

What I got from this, however, was how amazing the characters waving goodbye in that last GIF is. That's a very nice little detail. 

Thanks! I LOVE little details like that in other games I play, so I try to add them into my own games hoping that others will take the same pleasure in them. For example, in the opening sequence for Skein, there are some ruins that the characters walk past and birds fly out, but later if you click on that zone, you can also disturb the birds. It's a silly easter egg, but when/if the player finds it I'm sure it'll be well received! I'll be adding plenty of these details, so don't worry!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#4 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

That's it for this week, and I think that next week I'll (finally) get around to talking about some of the effects I've used in Skein, other than the lighting...

There's more to games than just lighting? And can't wait for it to be finished (it isn't finished yet, right?) Question, will it be on Android devices?

#5 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

There's more to games than just lighting? And can't wait for it to be finished (it isn't finished yet, right?) Question, will it be on Android devices?

Initially the game won't be available on Mobile, although I may make a cut-down one player version for devices. If you've followed the series from the beginning you'll know that it was originally going to be a mobile game but I had a bit of a crisis with the direction it was going in and changed mid development to focus on Desktop/Console only. This change meant that I could add a lot of things which just wouldn't work on mobile - like 2player co-op - but as I've been working I've realised that I cold possibly make it work on devices without too much work and once it's finished for desktop I'll be looking into it a bit more (but don't hold your breath!).

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#6 Zerb Games

Zerb Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:20 AM

Absolutely amazing I love just watching how far this game has come and it looks great I wish I could do something like this ):.

-Stay Royal

#7 Forester

Forester

The One And Only Enragement Cat

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:46 AM

Practice makes perfect.
In time, you too will be this skilled... Of course, nocturne''s skills are also increasing, so you will never be 'As skilled as Nocturne' but you can become as skilled as Nocturne. See...?

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg
soundcloud - twitter - facebook - ask.fm - advc

#8 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:11 AM

How come tech blog 13 never got posted? It was a good one!

#9 Zerb Games

Zerb Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:09 AM

Yeah, I was wondering that to but I didn't say anything.

-Stay Royal