#101 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

Yeah leave him alone he's buying it for a good cause

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#102 Zerb Games

Zerb Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

Everybody at YoYoGames, I thank you for the years of service and fun that I had with GM 8.1 but all great things must come to an end.  :hmmm:  :crying:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-EQ6eHeBrhM

I like how Russell gets to stay on past the end of the world....

And you, to well shoot him.

-Stay Royal

#103 DefuzionGames

DefuzionGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1460 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:03 AM

with gm studio it was like gm turned to the dark side with all the dark forum and program themes

#104 Luigi003

Luigi003

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

with gm studio it was like gm turned to the dark side with all the dark forum and program themes

That's why I use GM8's Skin :P

Regards~

#105 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:43 PM

Lol, that was the first thing I did after I opened up Studio. xD

#106 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:20 AM

Come to the dark side, we have GUI layers and native code compilation.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#107 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:03 AM

The GM8 skin runs better. The menus off the toolbar don't flicker like the dark side does.

#108 Ravicious

Ravicious

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:00 AM

I really did enjoy developing on GM 8.1 and previous versions. But the show must go on. While I cannot help this heavy feeling while using GM: Studio, I feel it is totally necessary to the furtherance of Game Maker as a whole and its future installments. Sure, it takes awhile to save your work and it can be quite annoying if you save often, but there are so many positive things about Studio that this hardly becomes an issue. Multiple platform support, a more in-depth coding experience, and HTML5 support among a great deal of other things; it's just absolutely mind-blowing how far this wonderful program has evolved from its more primitive roots. 8.1 is like that good friend whom you always had a great time with but have moved away from. But you never really forget the good experiences.

To that I say, "In pace requiescat, 8.1."

Edited by Ravicious, 25 December 2015 - 04:01 AM.

I am bad. And that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be than me.
~Wreck-it Ralph

#109 Kahvana166

Kahvana166

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

Oeh, thats sad news D: (that GMK 8.1 wont be available to buy anymore).

Game maker studio 2.0 is coming close, but Im still using game maker 8.0 pro (gonna try 8.1 pro later, had bought it a while ago but never needed it)...

It was the last game maker to support screen_refresh & screen_redraw, so thats why some users (like me) still use it.

Anyways.

May game maker 8.1 rest in peace..

- Kahvana166

#110 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

"Game maker studio 2.0 is coming close"

Really dont know if thats true, Mike said there way a looonngg way to gms 2  5 months ago. 

I think gms 2 could be coming in q4

Edited by Karurosu, 13 February 2016 - 09:03 PM.

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#111 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

I have GMS 1.2 installed in my virtual machine for XP just to convert GM 8.1 projects to studio. And to play older games if they don't work in 10. Not sure why that feature doesn't work in GMS 1.4 to import legacy versions of GM. 

And 4 ios runner export. 

Edited by KurtBlissZ, 13 February 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#112 GamingWalrus

GamingWalrus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:11 AM

I started with a disk of GM 8.1 that came with The Game Maker'.s Apprentice. I was so excited when I learned the disk had the program on it. Farewell, sweet engine. To Valhalla with thee!

#113 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:45 AM

Thank you YoyoGames for the amazing product. :)

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#114 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:59 AM

I started with a disk of GM 8.1 that came with The Game Maker'.s Apprentice. I was so excited when I learned the disk had the program on it. Farewell, sweet engine. To Valhalla with thee!

I'm pretty sure that The Game Maker's Apprentice shipped with 8.0. That's the version that is still downloadable from the Apress site.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#115 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

I still don't quite understand why you guys can't have old versions of GM tucked away somewhere on the site with clear warnings about their issues. Imo, they should be available to anyone with Studio.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#116 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

I still don't quite understand why you guys can't have old versions of GM tucked away somewhere on the site with clear warnings about their issues. Imo, they should be available to anyone with Studio.

Because if it's obviously available then it's a support nightmare as no matter how many warnings you put on the page saying that it is obsolete and no longer supported, people WILL get it and report bugs and issues, etc... and then expect help from the helpdesk. When they don't get it they'll then be pissed at YYG... so obviously this can be avoided by not making older versions available. I'm sure this has been stated many times before... Oh, and because GMS is a far superior product too, of course. ;)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#117 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

I'm pretty sure that The Game Maker's Apprentice shipped with 8.0. That's the version that is still downloadable from the Apress site.

I just checked in the books; Apprentice refers to 6.1 while its sequel, The Game Maker's Companion refers to 8.

EDIT: Haven't checked the CD, it may be different on that.

Edited by Ninety, 03 March 2016 - 11:12 AM.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#118 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

I just checked in the books; Apprentice refers to 6.1 while its sequel, The Game Maker's Companion refers to 8.

EDIT: Haven't checked the CD, it may be different on that.

Originally, yes. But later revisions shipped with 8.0.

I don't know how much of the content was updated to 8.0.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#119 Kahvana166

Kahvana166

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:56 AM

"Game maker studio 2.0 is coming close"

Really dont know if thats true, Mike said there way a looonngg way to gms 2  5 months ago. 

I think gms 2 could be coming in q4

Sorry, you're correct xP. Even if the devs release it in q2 of 2017, its still close (in my opinion).

Edit:

Because if it's obviously available then it's a support nightmare as no matter how many warnings you put on the page saying that it is obsolete and no longer supported, people WILL get it and report bugs and issues, etc... and then expect help from the helpdesk. When they don't get it they'll then be pissed at YYG... so obviously this can be avoided by not making older versions available. I'm sure this has been stated many times before... Oh, and because GMS is a far superior product too, of course. ;)

Its true that it's a far superior product, but it requires more work to get fancy graphics to work (compared to gm8).
For example: shadows, sunshafts, etc are possible with surfaces (and with surfacefix for gm8.0), but requires being able to change the automatic drawing mode to manual. GMS lacks this feature,so you"ll have to write your own shaders to get this effect.

Since I use those functions alot, my code sin't compatible with GMS. Im just too lazy to rewrite it to get it to work in GMS xP. Besides, it's useless (in my opinion) to rewrite everything for GMS1 if the dev's are working on GMS2.

Edited by TsukaYuriko, 13 March 2016 - 11:21 AM.
Double post merged

- Kahvana166

#120 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

GMS2 won't automatically make GMS1 stop working, it's YYG we're talking about here, not Apple. And you can still use surfaces in GMS, it even lets you use them in 3D now :D

(AFAIK you can draw to them outside of a draw event; you just can't update the front buffer outside of a drawing event)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#121 fel666

fel666

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1883 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

@Yal
Last I checked any and all drawing has to be done in the draw event, regardless of the surface target.
I think this is a change that happened 1/2 way though GM:s' lifetime as a project I built a while ago stopped working when I loaded it more recently.

I find it weird people would assume GM:S1 would no longer work once GM:S 2 comes out.
GM8.1, 8 and 7 still work for me.

This forum is old and archived, Whatever it is i said up above may no longer reflect my opinion.

GMWolf
GMIterator
RefactorTool
OptimizedDecals

#122 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

@Yal
Last I checked any and all drawing has to be done in the draw event, regardless of the surface target.
I think this is a change that happened 1/2 way though GM:s' lifetime as a project I built a while ago stopped working when I loaded it more recently.

I recall having heard this as well, but they changed it back, it seems. It's definitely possible to draw to surfaces in any event (as of 1.4.1749), although performance is much better in the draw events.

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png