121 replies to this topic

#1 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Launched in 2011, GameMaker 8.1 was a big step up from the previous versions. Bringing a host of improvements to the Room, Image, and Object editors, GameMaker 8.1 paved the way for GameMaker: HTML5 and ultimately GameMaker: Studio.

We have come a long way since 2011 and with the multitude of features and exports now in GameMaker: Studio you would scarcely believe its humble origins. With over 4 million downloads GameMaker 8.1 has had a long, successful life but due to its aging nature, over 3 years since its final update, and the availability of a superior product we have now made the decision to remove 8.1 from sale.

Please note that this will not affect any of our customers who have already purchased GameMaker 8.1 and they will still be able to use their product fully. If you experience any problems with your licence or have any questions please contact our Helpdesk.

We believe that GameMaker: Studio is a far more advanced and better product for all users than GameMaker 8.1 and it is long past time that 8.1 should have been laid to rest. This does come at a good time as any of our 8.1 users wishing to upgrade to GameMaker: Studio can take advantage of the Spring Sale where they can get up to 40% off!

With so many new and exciting things happening with GameMaker we hope that you will join us in saying farewell to 8.1 and embracing the future that is GameMaker: Studio.

Thanks

YoYo Games

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#2 rmanthorp

rmanthorp

GMC Member

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

M9vkCku.gif

#3 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

I say thanks for GM8.1 and Studio (and a hell of an interesting road, especially since around 2011).

But more importantly, I also say: bring on Studio 2.0!

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#4 FyodorKaramazov

FyodorKaramazov

Blind Crustacean God

• GMC Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

I think that's a respectable decision. I've been using Game Maker since 2008 or so, and Studio is simply a massive improvement, especially for distribution.

"There are some qualities—some incorporate things,—that have a double life, which thus is made
A type of that twin entity which springs,—from matter and light, evinced in solid and shade."

- Edgar Allan Poe, "Silence"

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

Excellent announcement, Dan.  Concise and well written.  And it addresses the key points -- i.e., reason for removal, assurance to existing customers, and offering an upgrade sale.    Perfect.

YoYo Games should replace you at the HELP desk, and put you in charge of public relations.

#6 HyperGolem

HyperGolem

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

I disliked the free version of 8.1 because of the huge annoying watermark, so I never got to it. To me 8.0 is the best free legacy version. All things must go though, and Studio is truly a superior option for all users.

Edited by HyperGolem, 28 May 2015 - 07:26 AM.

Check out my fan-games here!

https://www.youtube....user/HyperGolem

#7 Jbax1899

Jbax1899

Rollin Rollin...

• GMC Member
  • 1004 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

8.1 sucked because of the watermark. To me 8.0 is the best free legacy version.

You didn't like 8.1 because of a watermark..? What a kick in the balls for the guys that slaved on making it for god knows how long.

61892.gif

Participants: Myself, HandsomeGuy, Faissialoo, Lukasmah, Flaeon, LukanSpellweaver, Mercerenies, Ninety,

Overloaded, GreatGamer, Smack Games, Barvix, And more!

#8 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

It's certainly a bad news but I understand the benefits of dis-continuing GameMaker 8.1. I'm sure that it would help in getting new people drawn more towards Game Maker Studio.

Farewell GameMaker 8.1! You'll remain in our hearts forever. We'll miss you a lot, dear.

Edited by AnuragRaghav, 18 May 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#9 Spikehead777

Spikehead777

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

I guess it's a good thing I moved to Game Maker: Studio when I did.

It's kind of hard to imagine just exactly what I'd do now without shaders or actually compiled code, however.

#10 N00bGames

N00bGames

My name is "N00b"

• GMC Member
  • 83 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

And here's me still using 8...

I am quite looking forward to using Studio once these projects i started in 8 are finished mind, it does look like quite a beast

#11 matharoo

matharoo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

Good Decision! Meaningful!

I think the Legacy Game Maker versions are much easier, so they can be used by schools or just to teach children game development. My brother is 9 years old and makes games with GM8. GMS is powerful so it's advance stuff for children.

Edited by matharoo, 18 May 2015 - 05:30 PM.

Press that Green Up arrow If I helped you :)

#12 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

GM 8.1 is powerful too.
Studio is just as easy to grasp as earlier versions, it just has more to learn.
You can learn all the stuff you could from previous versions plus much more in Studio.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#13 PenguinPingo

PenguinPingo

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

You can make plenty of money making stuff like HTML5 games, i'm glad that when I learned about Gamemaker it was in it's Studio release. In a way, this isn't really a loss to me.

/---------------------------------------------------------\

Goodbye GMC, it was nice knowing you.

\---------------------------------------------------------/

#14 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

Any chance of adding better backwards compatibility to studio? Or at least a way to load old projects without saving them? Studio is superior to 8.1 in nearly every way, but I wish it had better casual use options.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#15 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

The way GM8.1 stored it projects was a death trap. Any corruption and you lost the whole thing without any chance of getting it back.

This is because the file was doubly compressed (no idea why). But that meant it's impossible to recover a corrupted file. We've seen quite a few requests for help because of this over the years, and Studio's format - as much as you might not like it, solves this issue and makes it possible to rebuild a project if you get any corruption - be that from a crash, or HD failure. 

Let it die......  

#16 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

Let it die......

Let Live
Jmds8UL.png

#17 raisins

raisins

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hi I've asked this in a different topic. I thought I would put a repost here in-case anyone else wants to know the answer.

Is it OK to post mirrors of 8.1 installers? What if current customers who has 8.1 key and a new laptop wants to re-install 8.1?

Thanks.

Edit: here's a mirror. This copy is 2 months old.

<link removed>

MOD EDIT: Please do not post links to legacy versions that YYG no longer support. If someone wants to get 8.1 then all they have to do is contact the helpdesk and request it from YYG, but we will not be permitting links to obsolete software on this forum as it is counter-productive and a support nightmare for YYG.

Edited by Nocturne, 19 May 2015 - 05:58 AM.

fxYmZ6o.png

Visit my blog for GM tutorials and more! Ask.fm me a question! :D

kWb6ZYf.png  Vd9fN4l.png

#18 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:08 PM

Can you please release an open source, (DRM free version) of GM8.1 here for collectors?

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#19 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

What about GM4Mac? It is even older than 8.1. :P

#20 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

What if current customers who has 8.1 key and a new laptop wants to re-install 8.1?

Then they can contact the helpdesk. (Read the above posts by Dan and Mike)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#21 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Ssssh... ;)

I guess they're keeping GM4Mac up because there's no newer GM that natively runs on Mac. (Yet.) Just a guess, though.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#22 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

Ssssh... ;)

I guess they're keeping GM4Mac up because there's no newer GM that natively runs on Mac. (Yet.) Just a guess, though.

Not sure how long GM4Mac will be available.

Expect an announcement about it being removed a week or so after YYGs purges it.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#23 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:33 PM

You still can't beat prototyping speed GMS... But oh well, what can we do?

Ba bai 8.1.

PLEEEEASE, allow us to run projects without saving in GMS pleeaaaaseeeee.. I just want to test 1 function pleaaaaseee.....

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#24 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

Hi I've asked this in a different topic. I thought I would put a repost here in-case anyone else wants to know the answer.

Is it OK to post mirrors of 8.1 installers? What if current customers who has 8.1 key and a new laptop wants to re-install 8.1?

Thanks.

Edit: here's a mirror. This copy is 2 months old.

[8.1 Installer link removed]

YYGs has made it pretty clear that they don't want 8.1 being distributed.

I'm guessing they especially don't want third party people distributing it.

Anybody who legitimately owns 8.1 and needs an installer is supposed to contact the helpdesk and then wait a few weeks.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#25 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:26 AM

game maker studio....sucks!

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#26 Noel_Abercrombie

Noel_Abercrombie

Hexagon of Justice

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:48 AM

Pity, 8.1 is better for prototyping and just playing around with ideas. Studio has more features but using it is such a pain.

As long as 8.1 still works on my computer I'll keep using it until Studio's stability issues are fixed.

#27 GreatandWiseOne

GreatandWiseOne

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:22 AM

Can anyone tell me how I can export a Studio project to GM 8.1? I don't want bullcrap telling me to use Studio...Studio is SO LAGGy on my computer. Just face the facts that studio is laggy and I cant even open a code block without it mysteriously dragging the code block into other objects!!! Its such a pain, I find myself constantly rearranging codeblocks rather than doing any code! Then the goddang screen flickers for 10 secons before I can ever do anythig!!! GM 8 was no like this, stop making excuses for it and blaimig Google Chrome (Ridiculous that a program would lag because of an unrelated process anyway!) STudio runs just fine on other computers while Google Chrome is running. Just eat the facts, Studio is simply laggy on some computers!!! 

How do I export resources I see no option in the menu.

Edited by GreatandWiseOne, 19 May 2015 - 04:23 AM.

The age old dillemna - 3D Car on 3D Terrain. Over 500 fps. Only 1 script. Maybe works on Studio. Download now.

2vcg7b7.png <3d Car Physics Explained. Vega Drift Physics 3d> 2dl2lug.png

The most advanced drift and car physics in GM.                         

#28 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:46 AM

Can anyone tell me how I can export a Studio project to GM 8.1? 

You can't.

#29 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:27 AM

GM 8 was no like this, stop making excuses for it and blaimig Google Chrome (Ridiculous that a program would lag because of an unrelated process anyway!) STudio runs just fine on other computers while Google Chrome is running. Just eat the facts, Studio is simply laggy on some computers!!! 

How do I export resources I see no option in the menu.

So.... I try and help, and you basically call me a liar. Nice.  I wasn't. It took us some time to track down a slowdown in the text editor, and yes... it turned out to be Chrome - IF you had left Chrome running for a Looooong time (which I do, I never switch my PC off), it appeared to suck up resources. As soon as we closed it, it sped up. As I said, we have no idea why. They may have since fixed this - we haven't checked. But please don't call me liar - just say it didn't work for you, because it might not if you don't leave it open much. If this isn't what you meant - then please be more careful in your turn of phrase.

As to a studio export. Of course theres no export. There are lots of options in Studio that are not backwards compatible, so it's impossible to export backwards without losing lots of options, and since we want to improve the program not cripple it, we had to stop exporting once we were loosing too much.

So the only way to import it, is to recreate it and cut and paste the code in. Sorry 

#30 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

Bye bye, GM8.1, you were awesome for the time in which you existed but GM:S got usable and nice and much better in many ways (though I do miss the fact that when I closed 8.1 it simply just closed, whereas GM:S seems to take about 30 seconds in doing that, dunno why). 

Rest in peace 8.1.  Or go party with all the other previous GM versions.

#31 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

Pretty sure I never even used 8.1. See you later, old technology!

#32 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

fCipWs7.png

Spoiler

Edited by CrazyGuyGames, 19 May 2015 - 03:31 PM.

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#33 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

snip

Lol it's still as funny and terrifying to look at it was back then. xD

Edited by Alvare, 19 May 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#34 Evilgrapez

Evilgrapez

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

Personally, I didn't like GM 8.1 that much, and liked 8.0 better. But it's too bad it's gone now and replaced with Studio. Sure, Studio is still a great program (I have no problem using it, and it's fun to mess around with), but I'll always miss the original. :(

#35 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:20 AM

see, what's gonna happen now, is a new gm will be created by someone, one that's really basic and easy to pick up and use. and the cycle starts all over.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#36 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

Personally, I didn't like GM 8.1 that much, and liked 8.0 better. But it's too bad it's gone now and replaced with Studio. Sure, Studio is still a great program (I have no problem using it, and it's fun to mess around with), but I'll always miss the original. :(

From the sound of it, you've never used the original. Only as far back as 8.0?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#37 kyropim

kyropim

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

I loved 8.1 from its compile speed, but nowaday Studio got pretty fast too, so I'm not negative with this.

just curious, how long can we activate GM8.1 with our key?

#38 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

...how long can we activate GM8.1 with our key?

For the foreseeable future. YYG have stated that they currently have no plans to take down the licencing server.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#39 Parasiteseve

Parasiteseve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

I've been looking forward to trying out GM: Studio. But due to expensive car problems it might be awhile. :( However, I've been pretty satisfied with how easy GM8.1 is to use. I came to GM from Unity (So that might have something to do with it seeming to be so easy to use) but I still use both depending on what I'm making. 
Kind of sad to see it go since my friend literally suggested GM8.1 to me not too long ago after he seen I make mostly 2D games. RIP 

Having to scroll down to select my birth date depresses me. 

#40 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:01 AM

I've been looking forward to trying out GM: Studio. But due to expensive car problems it might be awhile. :( However, I've been pretty satisfied with how easy GM8.1 is to use. I came to GM from Unity (So that might have something to do with it seeming to be so easy to use) but I still use both depending on what I'm making. 
Kind of sad to see it go since my friend literally suggested GM8.1 to me not too long ago after he seen I make mostly 2D games. RIP 

Studio is free, bruh.

#41 Parasiteseve

Parasiteseve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

Studio is free, bruh.

Not for Pro haha 

#42 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:08 AM

Studio free is more powerful and has more features than pro 8.1.

#43 Parasiteseve

Parasiteseve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:11 AM

Studio free is more powerful and has more features than pro 8.1.

I thought it had limits to objects, rooms and stuff like that? 
Perhaps I heard wrong. 

#44 grimdayz

grimdayz

a.t.t.i.c.

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:15 AM

They removed those limits a while back. http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

#45 Parasiteseve

Parasiteseve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

They removed those limits a while back. http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

It seems I have been missing out :*( Thanks for the info though :) 

#46 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

Actually, GM:Studio Free still has those limits. GM:Studio Standard, on the other side, doesn't, and is now free as well (but requires registration).

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#47 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

just02curious, how long can we activate GM8.102with our key?

I don't think that YYG would ever take down the licencing servers for Game Maker 8.1 unless they state it officially. Another reason why YYG would not like to do so -- people who use it for educational purpose and those who have bought it would get annoyed if they are not able re-register if they ever need to re-install just by case. I see no bad effect of keeping the servers up.

#48 sweetluvinbizkit

sweetluvinbizkit

The Essential Bizkit

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

I must confess, The transition from Game Maker 8.1 Standard to Game Maker Studio Pro was not an easy one for me (I can be very nostalgic and loyal to a fault sometimes.) In reflection, I laugh about that now as my reasoning was primarily superficial in nature.

Since the transition to Studio, I have learned a great deal more than I would have learned otherwise in 8.1. This is not to diminish Game Maker 8.1 in any manner, it is simply an observation of my personal growth.

Game Maker 8.1 will always have its use and value for me for a time to come as I use it primarily to view older open source materials that are still somewhat prevalent in the GMC and the interwebs. As a result, the backwards compatibility is still of value to me as well. In fact, I have so much content in 8.1 and below, that I cannot give up Game Maker 8.1, even if I wanted to!

I do wish I would have kept my installer though. That would have been handy. -Bikkie

"Some individuals give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; while others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than before."-Polybius

#49 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Some positive thoughts about this:

GM: Studio is much better than GM8.1 in almost every way.
The only leg up GM8.1 has, is that you can just open it and mess with stuff, without creating a project.

GM8.1 also has the worst icon in GM history (yes I am counting GM versions back to 1).
So at least the hideous icon will not stain the Yoyo website anymore. :P

Edited by Andy, 21 May 2015 - 08:16 PM.

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#50 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

Farewell, sweet prince.
*holds hat against chest*
*pushes boat into ocean*
*shoots flaming arrow at boat*

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png