#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

http://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/117

At the end of last weeks diary, I said that I was going to talk about how I designed and coded the UI for Skein, but I'm afraid to say I lied... I'll leave that for next week, as this week I think it would be a good idea to take a moment to talk about the tools that I use to make my games, since I constantly see questions from people asking what is the “best” art program, or where can they source sound effects, etc...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

First of all:

The other day someone commented to me that they were a “bit disappointed” that I'd used licensed sprites in my game instead of making them myself. Now, this actually made me feel a little bad as in all honesty the sprites I've licensed only make up about 20% of the final graphic package, and even then they form a base that I have then adapted and animated and built on.

Sorry Nocturne, that wasn't my intent. =(

I wasn't "disappointed" that you were "cheating" or anything. I just thought "holy ****, he's doing EVERY. SINGLE. THING. himself this quickly?! Our admin is a monster!"

So I was "disappointed" in the way a kid is disappointed when he finds out his family is taking him to Disney Land instead of Disney World...disappointed was probably too strong a word, but I couldn't think of any other one to take its place in English, hahah. I'm still eagerly following this devblog, don't worry. I'm much more interested in the programming behind this project than the art, anyway. Your lighting and random level generation articles were very interesting. =D

Second of all:

If you're doing pixel art, GraphicsGale is the only way to go. Unless you're a dirty heretic like Carnivac. Then you can use some other gross tool like Pro Motion or something. Or whatever that hack uses. (Hahah!) If you're doing raster drawings, Open Canvas and Paint Tool Sai all the way! <3

GIMP for random other stuff! Or Photoshop, if you're rich or a dirty thief!

For sound effects, Sfxr is good for a start, but it's become so ridiculously popular with indies due to its hyper-ease-of-use that it's pretty easy to spot sounds that are made with it, and I think it's starting to carry a negative stigma. LabChirp is another option that's a little more in-depth, so you can create more complicated sounds with a little bit of practice. It doesn't support VSTs though, so THANK YOU for showing me Goldwave - it's probably exactly what I've been looking for! =D

Anyway, thanks for another cool article Nocturne. Looking forward to the next one, as always. =)

Edited by HopelessComposer, 18 May 2015 - 06:02 AM.

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:58 AM

First of all:

The other day someone commented to me that they were a “bit disappointed” that I'd used licensed sprites in my game instead of making them myself. Now, this actually made me feel a little bad as in all honesty the sprites I've licensed only make up about 20% of the final graphic package, and even then they form a base that I have then adapted and animated and built on.

Sorry Nocturne, that wasn't my intent. =(

I wasn't "disappointed" that you were "cheating" or anything. I just thought "holy shit, he's doing EVERY. SINGLE. THING. himself this quickly?! Our admin is a monster!"

So I was "disappointed" in the way a kid is disappointed when he finds out his family is taking him to Disney Land instead of Disney World...disappointed was probably too strong a word, but I couldn't think of any other one to take its place in English, hahah. I'm still eagerly following this devblog, don't worry. I'm much more interested in the programming behind this project than the art, anyway. Your lighting and random level generation articles were very interesting. =D

Lol! I didn't take it too personally, dont worry... but it did make a good introduction to the article! :thumbsup:

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#4 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

Well, this made me appreciate my team for Homestead a great deal more!
I sure hope my musician doesn't see those figures you posted though! Lol...

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#5 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:29 AM

Great article as always, Nocturne.

I sure hope my musician doesn't see those figures you posted though! Lol...

*rubs hands together cackling gleefully*

Edited by StewartB, 18 May 2015 - 07:30 AM.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince