GamerXP

GMC Member?

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

logo_test.png

FoxAnim + Editor [BETA]

So, what the heck is that? This is an frame-based animation system, written in GML, and it have its own editor.

If you even tried making characters for MUGEN - you'll get it right on the spot. If not - well, it's not that complex thing... probably?

Main features:
  • Make animations from different sprites.
  • Precise control over timing (tick-based timing system. like 60 ticks - 1 second).
  • Supports loop points.
  • Supports delta time and animation speed control.
  • Trigger subsystem that allows you to check things like start of specified frame, end of the animation, animation position, etc.
Those were features MUGEN's animation system had. At first, I had only those. But I rewrote this system for 3 times so far, and now it have some more neat stuff:

Additional features:
  • Move, rotate and scale images in animations. You can even change image's pivot point and interpolate all those values between frames.
  • Subimage system allows you to have few images in same animation at the same time. You can change their order and establish parent-child relationships between then. You can think of it as of simplified skeleton-based animations.
  • Property system. Subimage system is actually a part of it. This allows you to attack some additional data to your animations. Currenly it supports: subimages, rectangles (hitboxes, yay!), points, sounds, scripts, text data (god, this one is super useful). Most of them have some additional settings. For example, text property can be converted to dropdown list. GML part does not handle properties automatically except image ones, so you need to use them somehow yourself. I wrote some basic script to read and do some basic stuff with them though. For example, you can use Text Property.. to change some variable.. or to execute script.. or to play sound. So, they are just interfaced ways to represent data in animation editor.
Screenshots (click to enlarge):
EditorScreen_1_trumbl.png     EditorScreen_2_trumbl.png

EditorScreen_3_trumbl.png     GMScreen_trumbl.png

What about [BETA]?

That means editor DO have bugs. And it does not have all features it should. But I don't really have time now to add new features (must fix bugs at least though). I do recommend you to make backups of your projects from times to time if you're planning on using this. This system edits your project file and some script files on save, so be careful. Just in case, it do makes backups of your animation scripts on every save in "scripts\backup" folder in your project. It do not make it for project file though. Well, so far it never broke my project file, but still be careful with it.

Also, I said there ARE bugs. If you find some - please, report them here, to gamerxp@mail.ru or my Skype. Aah, don't report random Access Violation bug on character/application closing if you did not found a way to reproduce it for sure - I dunno how to fix it yet since it's sooo random.

Download:
32Bit version
64Bit version

Download 32bit if you don't know what you need.

Terms of usage:
This will be free for non-commercial usage. 15$ otherwise (still not decided, but probably something like this). Though, you can't buy it yet anyway. There will be paid version when some time later, so just use it for free now.
Also, report bugs and make suggestions. Better here. If you want - to my mail or skype.

Documentation:
Not yet. There is an example project at least. Almost all scripts have description inside as well. Also, does not remove FoxAnim extension after you added script from it - it still have constants inside.

Tips (read this, it will make things much easier for you):
Since there are no documentation, I'll say some non oblivious things about editor:
  • If you have both GM and FoxAnim oppened - save your project in GM BEFORE saving it in FoxAnim. FoxAnim makes modification to project file, so if you save project in FoxAnim first, and then do same in GM - GM may rewrite your changes (though, at most part this will occur only if you did something with character list in FoxAnim)
  • You can Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V stuff like characters, animations, selectable property data. Del can delete them as well.
  • There is NO Ctrl+Z yet, so be careful when you delete stuff.
  • You can add images to animation in a lot of ways - clicking add button, dragging then to sprite field or frame add buttons, doubleclicking on then and some other.
  • When moving images in editor window,  you can use Shift, Ctrl and Alt to modify way dragging works
  • Arrows and WASD can move images. They can also switch animation frames if no images selected
  • Using mouse wheel when cursor is over bottom panel will switch frames. If it's over number field - it will change value by 1.
  • Space plays/stops animation.
  • There are 2 scrollbars to switch frames. Upper one will change frames normally. Lower one chnages frame's position in animation.
  • There are tooltips for most buttons.
PS. Waiting for your comments, suggestions and.. geh.. bugreports.

Edited by GamerXP, 31 May 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#2 Chaosmore

Chaosmore

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:40 AM

Bugs

-the project tab couldn't be opened back up after been closed down, this only happened the 1st time opening the program.
-floating point error, not too sure what triggered this, but it happened after closing down a project and open another one.
-The project seems to load properly from a project that is saved from GM:Studio, but not the early access version. Loading a project that already has some editing but is saved from early access version will create a blank project with no animation editing, and saving it will replace the old editing with the latest one.

-If the loaded sprite is too big, part of the onion image will linger even after switching the frames, as if a part of a surface is not cleaned up. Not big deal though, and clicking any one of the visibility options will clean them up.

Feedbacks

-It took me a while to realize the horizontal scroll bar is for switching around frames, and also took me a while to realize the smaller bar below is to swap frames.
-I thought the animation engine will be included after saving the project. Still I can get the animation engine from the included project file.

For animator like me this tool is auto sold. Although I havent test out how it will work in the game project, this tool seems to offers huge amount of versatility compared to GM build-in sprite editing. There are a few things that are acting weird but doesn't really break the functionality, in other word it's pretty stable. Will see if there's more bugs once I try out the more trivial functions. Definitely will be extremely useful for me, and definitely I will buy it once it's released.

This guy is a wanted english murderer.

6cBJSkv.png?1

#3 GamerXP

GamerXP

GMC Member?

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for replying. I'm using this system for my game too, and it worked fine so far.. well, except some minor bugs. Well, usually, if there is a app-breaking bug - app does not crash entirely, and you usually can save project and reload app to fix the issue. Well, I think I fixed reason of that bug yesterday, but just in case...

About feedback:

-It took me a while to realize the horizontal scroll bar is for switching around frames, and also took me a while to realize the smaller bar below is to swap frames.

Yep. My friend said so too. That's why I added it to tips in the first post. I wanted to add tooltip to them, but it did not worked for some reason. Will try to do something about it later.

-I thought the animation engine will be included after saving the project. Still I can get the animation engine from the included project file.

There is extension included. You can import all scripts from it.

Also, that's a good idea. Though, not sure if I should replace your scripts since you can edit them. I think I'll add/ update extension in saved projects at least.

About bugs:

-the project tab couldn't be opened back up after been closed down, this only happened the 1st time opening the program.
-floating point error, not too sure what triggered this, but it happened after closing down a project and open another one.

Never encountered those. Can't reproduce as well. If you find how to cauase them for sure - tell me.

-The project seems to load properly from a project that is saved from GM:Studio, but not the early access version. Loading a project that already has some editing but is saved from early access version will create a blank project with no animation editing, and saving it will replace the old editing with the latest one.

That's weird. That demo I included was made in the latest EA version, so it worked fine for me. Can you reproduce it? Send me an example if you can.

-If the loaded sprite is too big, part of the onion image will linger even after switching the frames, as if a part of a surface is not cleaned up. Not big deal though, and clicking any one of the visibility options will clean them up.

Geh.. thought I fixed it.

#4 Chaosmore

Chaosmore

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

About bugs:

-I had encountered 2 kinds of floating point errors i think, first when I was clicking around project tab, it happened but it does nothing, and I cant reproduce it. The 2nd one actually breaks the app, it happens when you set your pivot outside the bounding box and attempt to resize it by dragging the corner. dragging it too much that the sprite goes way too far away from the canvas causes the error, and the canvas stay empty even you tried to set every offset or scale value back to default and load some other sprites. This can only be resolved by restarting the program.

-Ok I probably mistaken this one because I cannot reproduce this, after testing a couple more times I think i'd say the EA version works fine. Might be because I miss click the buttons twice and decided to try out on studio version. Still I should mention that if I created an empty new character with no information in it and save the project, it will create an undefined script in the game project.

This guy is a wanted english murderer.

6cBJSkv.png?1

#5 GamerXP

GamerXP

GMC Member?

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

I see. Thanks for your reports. I'll fix it later.

Also, yeah.. I remember. There was some random error when changing tabs right after project loading. It was also random so I could not reproduce it to find the reason.

Edited by GamerXP, 17 May 2015 - 12:35 PM.