#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

https://yoyogames.com/tech_blog/116

Now that I was starting to get some structure and progression into the game, I felt that it was time to elaborate a bit more on the enemy AI and the differences between enemy types. Currently I had about 8 or 9 test sprites in the game for different looking enemies, but they all used the same basic FSM (see here for how I went about that) and all had the same hitpoints and abilities. This lack of any differentiation contributed to the feeling of sameness that I'd been having while play testing, and so it was important to improve upon what I had, especially now that I was beginning to add structure to my game.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:02 AM

Nice work, again. You don't leave us to say anything else. It should be great to write these for ten weeks, and I suspect that it would go far away if it keeps on going this way.

#3 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:20 PM

Good devlog again. I was a little sad to hear you were using licensed sprites, though. I thought this was a completely one-man project this whole time. You probably said it earlier, but I must've skimmed over it. ):

Anyway, game is looking good, as usual. Still want to play it, though. :)

Edited by HopelessComposer, 09 May 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:54 AM

Good devlog again. I was a little sad to hear you were using licensed sprites, though. I thought this was a completely one-man project this whole time. You probably said it earlier, but I must've skimmed over it. ):

Anyway, game is looking good, as usual. Still want to play it, though. :)

The base sprites are licenced but I've adapted them heavily,,, they weren't animated (I had to do that), and I've made a lot of my own to fill niches that the licenced sprites don't cover. I've also made all the backgrounds, and menus, and logos, etc... myself. In fact I'd say that only about 20% of the GFX are using the licensed ones and the rest are my own. It's a pretty big undertaking for just me to do this game alone, and using licensed sprites as a base cuts down my development times and takes a bit of pressure off of me. It's not an ideal solution, and I'd love to have done everything myself, but it would have been impossible. :(

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#5 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

I think what you've made here really shows exactly what a "1 man band" can achieve in a pretty short time-frame with GMStudio. This thing is looking *good*.

Mad props! :)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#6 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

The base sprites are licenced but I've adapted them heavily,,, they weren't animated (I had to do that), and I've made a lot of my own to fill niches that the licenced sprites don't cover. I've also made all the backgrounds, and menus, and logos, etc... myself. In fact I'd say that only about 20% of the GFX are using the licensed ones and the rest are my own. It's a pretty big undertaking for just me to do this game alone, and using licensed sprites as a base cuts down my development times and takes a bit of pressure off of me. It's not an ideal solution, and I'd love to have done everything myself, but it would have been impossible. :(

You say it would have been impossible to do yourself, but then you say 80% of the graphics (thus, like 90% of the work) are done by you anyway. So I think you're selling yourself short here! I'm pretty sure you could have done the remaining 20% of the graphics by yourself, if you'd really wanted to, hahah. If you're doing all the animations yourself, that's most of the work, anyway. =)

Edited by HopelessComposer, 10 May 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

The problem is the initial design... I am no pixel artist and that 20% GFX is what gave me the other 80%! Without them, I'm sure I would not have the consistent style and feel that I have now, and creating each of the sprites would have taken a LOT longer. I can do textures, menus, text, logos, etc... all perfectly well and with confidence, but character design is one of those things I find almost impossibly difficult. 

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#8 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

True enough. Pulling areas and monsters out of the void is something I hate doing, as well. It's actually probably the most painful part of game design for me, too. =)

Well, animating, too. Anything art related, I guess, hahah!

Edited by HopelessComposer, 10 May 2015 - 08:26 PM.