16 replies to this topic

#1 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:58 AM

Hello Everyone and Welcome to my WIP Post For Silent Warfare!

Silent Warfare is a Side-scrolling platformer that has been in development since the GMC Jam 18. Currently working on V1.4!

Why Play?

- Updated 6/3/15!

- 10 Playable levels

- 2 different collectables

- I'm looking for feedback

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Update 1.3:

Changes In this update

Spoiler

Previous Updates:
Spoiler

Have ideas on what i should update next? Let me know!
Next update i hope to bring you
Spoiler

Story:
You're an assassin working for the United States, infiltrating the Russian's secret base. You were sent to track down the man who is building hundreds of nuclear weapons to launch at your country and incite global nuclear war. You are only one person, so avoid enemy agents while you take out as many scientists as you can to slow down construction. Collect all the briefcases and blueprints scattered around the building for bonus points.

(Thanks to TheUltimate)

Controls:
Arrow Keys/ WASD To move and jump

Mouse To click buttons

6/2/15 New Download Link: https://www.dropbox....rev1.3.exe?dl=0
(Still Looking for Feedback)
Thanks for reading and Playing!!

Edited by Mrbear91, 04 June 2015 - 01:04 AM.

coollogo_com-13168104_zps6w7ocqzz.jpg

Silent Warfare v1.3 Out NOW! Jam 18 Rank: 47

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=662454&hl=

#2 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:02 AM

Great to see new people around here. I'll give this a try and edit my post.

EDIT: Before I try the game, I strongly, strongly suggest you ditch the installer and export the game as an exe or zip instead. When there are 50 games to play, some people might skip your game entirely because of the install time.

EDIT2:

- Might wanna add some instructions with the story and controls, then try and get those into the Jam zip (it's usually a few days before it's up). I couldn't find them in the game, and once again, most people play games in the zip file and don't see the topic.

- Spacebar doesn't do anything? I figured out I had to run into the scientists to kill them, and avoid the other guys. And it's the small white box I have to click to start a level.

- Graphics are okay. Not much for animations or background details, but it's clear what everything is.

- Ooh briefcases make my jump higher. Nice. So far no levels where it has a purpose, like bonus areas, but it does help get through the level faster.

- I like how the number of scientists is shown onscreen so I don't have to run around and wonder if I got them all.

- Agh, I died to the boss twice by falling on it. Is it supposed to be a giant potato?

Edited by TheUltimate, 28 April 2015 - 05:33 AM.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#3 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:21 AM

Fixed the Link. Now its a zip. also updated with a tutorial at the begining of the game when you start + story is added to level select

Spoiler

Edited by Mrbear91, 29 April 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#4 arpeejajo

arpeejajo

King Of Muay Thai

• GMC Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

The game runs pretty well, didn't notice any glitches of any sort. One thing I didn't like was the jumping. I'd use a progressive height style jump, like in the Megaman X games.

#5 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the reply arpeejajo, I defiantly agree that the jumping is a little wierd, will look into this "progressive height style jump, like in the Megaman X games" and should come with the next update! Thanks again for your time, if you think of anything else please feel free to edit your post here or pm me.

#6 PhysDick

PhysDick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

This is pretty nice! It was smooth and there was no glitchyness in the collisions as there so often is in platformers. I agree with arpeejajo though about the variable jump height. Overall good job though

#7 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the reply! If you think of anything else please feel free to edit your post!
Spoiler

Edited by Mrbear91, 07 May 2015 - 09:57 AM.

#8 PhysDick

PhysDick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

At the door on level 1: 

of  Step Eventplayer2
for object door1:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -5.potatoget(100045, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_door1_Collision_15
############################################################################################

#9 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

Fixed! New Link up, sadly that last update i thought i got rid of those lines of code but i did not

Edited by Mrbear91, 10 May 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#10 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

An update, nice. :thumbsup:

Some comments:

- The tutorial's a lot clearer and looks much cleaner now.

- Variable jumping is niceeeee.

- I played through a couple random levels and it appears to be the same 10 as in the Jam version. Are you planning to add more or is this the final amount?

- Because the Jam's over and there's lots of time, make some animations! It's anti-climactic just sliding into enemies and making them disappear. Walking, jumping, and a visible attack like a punch would work wonders. The game could use a title screen as well. The name is only in the window caption.

- The game lacks any sort of continuity because it sends me to the title screen after every level. The levels don't have to be done in order and I guess it's 10 completely separate missions - maybe on 10 different stories of the same building - so a mission briefing between each level and different goals would be really cool. Maybe in one level you need to kill all the scientists, and in another you have to collect all briefcases before you can leave.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#11 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

An update, nice. :thumbsup:

Some comments:
- The tutorial's a lot clearer and looks much cleaner now.
- Variable jumping is niceeeee.
- I played through a couple random levels and it appears to be the same 10 as in the Jam version. Are you planning to add more or is this the final amount?
- Because the Jam's over and there's lots of time, make some animations! It's anti-climactic just sliding into enemies and making them disappear. Walking, jumping, and a visible attack like a punch would work wonders. The game could use a title screen as well. The name is only in the window caption.
- The game lacks any sort of continuity because it sends me to the title screen after every level. The levels don't have to be done in order and I guess it's 10 completely separate missions - maybe on 10 different stories of the same building - so a mission briefing between each level and different goals would be really cool. Maybe in one level you need to kill all the scientists, and in another you have to collect all briefcases before you can leave.

Some feed back from me to you on your comments!
I think you missed a Secret! Try to jump forever! :P
- spent a decent amount of time working the tutorial up! Thanks for noticing!
- variable jump mmmhmm :))
- they are the same levels currently waiting to get the art done to remake them, things I did change in the rooms is added the entrance elevator and the enemies are actually on the ground instead of floating a few pixels above.
- I will add animations to the next update list!
- hmm I thought maybe it would be good to just go to next level after you finish but was not sure if I wanted to do a level select/map <-- this has motivated me to make up my mind! Should be different next update

Thanks again for your feedback and it's much appreciated!

Edited by Mrbear91, 12 May 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#12 arpeejajo

arpeejajo

King Of Muay Thai

• GMC Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Just tested 1.2, and the variable jumping is perfect! I liked level 10 where you get the gun to fight the enemy, was a nice touch. Level 9 however, was lacking. It was just collecting briefcases and running into many scientists one after the other.

The tutorial is detailed enough so players can understand how to play.

Great improvement on this update!

#13 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

Thanks Arpeejajo! Anything you would like to see in the next update?

#14 PhysDick

PhysDick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

The new jumping is nice, but there's a bit of a glitch where if you keep tapping jump you fly haha

I think it just needs one extra line of code:

if !place_free(x,y+1){

//jump code

}

Edited by PhysDick, 13 May 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#15 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

No it's there for fun! Kind of a secret but it was intended! Thanks for the reply! :D

#16 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:05 AM

Version 1.3 Out Now! New NPC AI, Tutorial! Please Play and leave me some feedback! =D

#17 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:32 AM

Been awhile since my last post, been working a ton(Job) and been working on the level rework, the process is pretty slow right now but hopefully ill have more time soon! Also i have acquired some of the art for the game but its not in yet, and i have music on the way too!! Just wanted to give everyone a update, no real progress to show yet but i will post screenshots soon!

Thanks for following!

Pat