Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1876 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

SNAIL_MAN and THEULTIMATE PRESENT, with help from ParodyKnaveBob
THE WORLD HAS GONE M.A.D
The full-blown RTS/Tower defense/arcade-style bombardment game, with realistic physics!
Screenshot.png

DOWNLOAD (Jam version)
DOWNLOAD (Fixed version)

DEVLOG
Spoiler

KNOWN BUGS
Spoiler

Edited by Snail_Man, 29 April 2015 - 03:49 PM.

Farewell, old GMC.
Although you stole my posts, I shall remember thee always.

Soundcloud : Wizard Battle

#2 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:25 AM

Whew! What a rush at the end! I think we definitely got enough done for 72 hours.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#3 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:41 AM

hey there ultimate & Snail Man! downloaded and played as the us and won against all the other countrys! pretty cool concept! here are my thoughts!

first time i played it was slightly confusing.. little did i know that there was a tutorial.  built everything.=p so i could to kinda test them and didnt understand how to get the tanks to spawn or how to get the ray to shoot but after playing it the first time i realized it says right about the weapons how to use them haha lazer is brutal and i enjoyed the rocket system your ai seems pretty brutal but after learning how to play it wasent "as" hard.

all in all the game is pretty cool! Good work guys!

coollogo_com-13168104_zps6w7ocqzz.jpg

Silent Warfare v1.3 Out NOW! Jam 18 Rank: 47

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=662454&hl=

#4 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Update thingy: (so we don't completely forget to mention it) If you just found this topic, download the fixed version! It has one small change to fix the variable error that will crash the game!

@Mrbear91:

Great to hear the game's not too confusing. One of our fears was it'd be hard to play because there's so much to take in at the start, but the amount of instructions and mouseover boxes seems to have helped. :)

I agree, the heatray's a lot of fun. I like to unlock the orbital strike too, though I might have sliiiightly overnerfed that one while testing.

Yea, Snail did a great job with the AI. I really like how it reacts to what you're doing instead of randomly firing missiles everywhere. It actually aims at your ability blocks and fires missiles at your missiles to cancel them out!

Thanks for trying the game!

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#5 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:58 AM

This was posted a while ago and is now buried deep in the Jam discussion topic so I'll repost it here. We had time to make detailed instructions for the Jam version, but no time for a step-by-step ingame walkthrough, so here's another quick guide for ya until Snail and I update the game.

HOW TO PLAY THE GAME (after building your city)
HohAGKU.png

image.png

#6 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:04 AM

Sorry for the delay everybody, I know there's not much for a 3 month wait. But we finally have an update.

DOWNLOAD

What's in post-Jam version 1:

• Better instructions and the tutorial level
  • Fullscreen
  • Limits on the number of blocks you can put in the level
  • You can press keys once to use an ability instead of pressing once to activate then once to use

Next update:

• Levels and music
  • Particles, effects, and explosions
  • Ingame money
  • Keybinding for building (eg. press Space, then W to build)
  • AI difficulty changes
  • Part 3 of the tutorial

image.png

#7 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:48 AM

Ok played it a bit, haven't spent as much time in it as I'd like, since my PC is currently installing a bunch of stuff (from the upgrade to Windows 10) but I'll come back to it when I have less going on on the PC.

Until then, here are my thoughs:

Great game! I love how you have a lot of diversity in it, with the cities and the various abilities. I only experimented playing as Washington yet, but I have played against every city (except washington, didn't try if it was possible even since it would be illogical). I have to say I love the AI and how it reacts to what you build and what you do. I managed to successfully decimate all my oponents except Beijing (and I mean decimate, I barely took any damage). However I got my ass whoped against Beijing due to the rod it can drop from the skies. I liked how the rod immediately tried to (and succeded) in canceling out my reflectors. A thing I didn't like much was in-battle building. Since the AI kept hammering away building anything at all became impossible. Also, there is a bug but I don't know if it is on your side or because I upgraded to Windows 10 but every time I put the game in fullscreen and the room changed the game would get out of fullscreen again, which would be really annoying.

That's all I can say right now, but I'll sure play it again so expect to hear more from me sometime.

Remember me as the one who can't be remembered

#8 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

I really like the concept and the basic idea of the game, however, there are quite a few issues with it.

The game is completely unbalanced and is super easy to win, demonstrated in the gif below:

Spoiler

I know it's a jam game and you didn't have much time to do things but I suggest trying to balance it a bit and if you are ever going to make it into a full game then this would work super great as a multiplayer game.

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#9 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:21 AM

@rui.rosario: Glad you liked it! You can thank Snail_Man for the AI, he's the one who made it. :)

We're pretty aware the game is unbalanced, as evidenced by the divide of reviewers who thought the game was far too easy or far too hard. Probably have to adjust the cooldowns and amount of damage everything does again.

There's hopefully going to be a few changes to building during the battle to make it faster and more practical to use. Even when I play the game, I toss objects wherever, which isn't the best strategy haha.

Fullscreen weirdness was my mistake. I put the settings in an object that resets in each room, and I (temporarily) used the default textboxes for the tutorial, which also forces the game back into windowed mode. It's easy to fix.

@Braffolk: Lol! That's definitely been an issue for a while. To prevent spam, building during the battle was supposed to cost money that you earn by destroying things. It was supposed to be in this update, but it never happened. What other things do you suggest for balance?

Edited by TheUltimate, 14 August 2015 - 02:23 AM.

image.png

#10 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1609 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

Howdy! I finally played post-Jam v1, and I decided to write all this here rather than PM it.

You might want to add a simple mouse cursor graphic. If a player uses mouse trails (like on a laptop), fullscreen kills the visible cursor. Common Windows issue. Considering its long-standing nature, my guess is they call it a feature. $F^ |

Your controls require a scroll wheel. Not everyone has a scroll wheel (although they certainly are a lot more common these days). I suggest allowing Page Up/Down to do the same work.

Another suggestion: Show a transparent preview of the block-about-to-be-built in the place where it will build.

"You haven't put one of each block type down yet." After this message, the Airship and EMP change into basic block each. I didn't test this with other cities' special block types.

I launched a spy against the great city of Tutorial Level, and my spy soon got hung.
(I can give more detail if you need.)
(Oh, after playing DC, now I wonder if the spy only goes as far as I click to go...)
(Nope, played Tutorial Level again, clicked way over on the enemy side, spy got hung, bouncing back and forth in a small area.)

Did you put a much longer cooldown on the missiles? If so, I like!

I see your own missiles don't directly strike your own city anymore (although the explosions still hurt). Cool, 'kay. This will definitely change my building strategy!

When the lose screen says press Esc to return to main menu, you definitely don't need the "cheap pause screen" dialog to come up right then. $:^ ]

So now, playing London vs. DC, I've lost 2 of 2. $:^ }

Ugh. Once again, my spy got back to HQ and the game crashed.
Erp, sorry, didn't copy the exact error message. Let's see if I can get it again...
(Hm. Game's too difficult now. I can't stay alive long enough to get a spy all the way back.)
(Yeah, trying against different cities, I can't even get spies back, let alone win. For one thing, building during battle is too difficult, as you already know. It's also interesting how you can't build basic blocks in battle but rather only high technology.)
(I do have to keep in mind, though, that time-sensitive mouse-based games tend to be more difficult on a mousepad, which is all I use at the moment.)

I don't know how this happened, but in building mode, I got a basic block appearing behind the EMP.
(I laid down seven basic blocks in the third column from the edge of the screen, then scrolled down through the list and landed on the EMP. After that, when I scrolled up/down, laid various block types, etc., this basic block still stayed behind in that upper-left corner.)

Aaaaand uh I guess just to be safe on the post-bumping since I have like partial credit or something, (Ult and Snail) just wait at least two days before responding after me unless someone else jumps in first? $E^ P

Regards! $:^ b
theUndiscovered ~ Brandon W. Horton ~ ParodyKnaveBob ~ $:^ J