2319 replies to this topic

#101 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

Maggot in a Frying Pan        | Brain Pirate Legacy               | Toothpaste ManBreaking the Facade           | Isra's Wings                      | Random forum game postDoodleDoo                     | Chickens and Moles                | Moose's Pancake Adventure
6 | 13 | 95 |  6 | ?3 |  7 | 1
Those are the numbers. (Excluding the one on the right, I don't know where that's from).

So the GMC topic is topic number 653679

The post is post 1

and the word is 13 + some number

EDIT: Or the one on the right hand side could be a red herring, and the word is number 13, "Disasters" which was the theme of GMC Jam 8.

The winner of GMC Jam #8 was Turtle Termination.

...That's it! I know the theme now! The theme is...

Spoiler

Edited by 11clock, 08 April 2015 - 10:50 AM.

qNDVrhl.png

#102 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

Maggot in a Frying Pan        | Brain Pirate Legacy               | Toothpaste Man
Breaking the Facade           | Isra's Wings                      | Random forum game post
DoodleDoo                     | Chickens and Moles                | Moose's Pancake Adventure
6 | 13 | 9
5 |  6 | ?
3 |  7 | 1

Those are the numbers. (Excluding the one on the right, I don't know where that's from).

So the GMC topic is topic number 653679

The post is post 1

and the word is 13 + some number

EDIT: Or the one on the right hand side could be a red herring, and the word is number 13, "Disasters" which was the theme of GMC Jam 8.

"H" is the 8th letter of the alphabet. That could be the letter hinted at.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#103 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

Well well, what do we have here?

qosgn6.jpg

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#104 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

I'll offer the same prices I always offer up:

• Top three each gets an A4-sized hand drawn concept art of a character of their choice.
  • Best Newcomer gets a 16x16-pixel tileset with 16 tiles, of the biome of their choice. (RPG, platform, whatever).
  • Best-ranking game with a female protagonist gets a custom chiptune of length around 1 minute.

BTW, Dadio, do you have a preview/render of your fonts somewhere? I tried googling to see what you've made, but I didn't find anything relevant. (Everything points to NAL instead :P)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#105 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

Oh, oh! I want on dat train!
I'm not sure if I can participate, but I'll try my hardest! Aiming for ol 52th place.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#106 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

I think this time around I will try to participate but because I won't have the full time to make a game, I will start on the game now and submit it with out a handicap or theme at the same time as everyone else. Of course, this means I don't expect to do well in rank because I am cheating but I figured this would be better than making a joke game. I was thinking about competely remaking Hippy Business Balloon with completely different gameplay and a less strange story. I have a few things to ask.

One) Would someone like to suggest a theme and handicap for me? I'll pick the ones I like the most.

Two) Would you guys be fine with me posting updates/screenshots of my game to this topic once in a while as I slowly work on my game over the next few weeks?

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#107 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

Oh, oh! I want on dat train!
I'm not sure if I can participate, but I'll try my hardest! Aiming for ol 52th place.

good ol' fifty tooth.

#108 Detective Pixel

Detective Pixel

GMC Dancer

• GMC Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

I think this time around I will try to participate but because I won't have the full time to make a game, I will start on the game now and submit it with out a handicap or theme at the same time as everyone else. Of course, this means I don't expect to do well in rank because I am cheating but I figured this would be better than making a joke game. I was thinking about competely remaking Hippy Business Balloon with completely different gameplay and a less strange story. I have a few things to ask.

One) Would someone like to suggest a theme and handicap for me? I'll pick the ones I like the most.

Two) Would you guys be fine with me posting updates/screenshots of my game to this topic once in a while as I slowly work on my game over the next few weeks?

Theme: Cheating

Handicap: Your game must have tons of flashing colors.

PIXEL_Archive.png

#109 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

Please don't do this. Most people weigh theme and handicap very low anyway. There's nothing stopping you from making a game in the next two weeks,  just don't post it in the games topic please.

#110 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

*snip*

Please don't do this. Most people weigh theme and handicap very low anyway. There's nothing stopping you from making a game in the next two weeks,  just don't post it in the games topic please.

Okay, how about I put a message at the start saying I cheated and post it for anyone to play at the end of the jam but not in the zip file with all the others? In this situation, would you guys be fine with me talking about my game here?

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#111 the ch8t

the ch8t

FlameFrog Games

• GMC Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:58 PM

sure, don't see why not.

#112 Misu

Misu

Awesometasticness!

• GMC Member
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:32 AM

I have to be very honest with all of you...

Spoiler

Anyway,... count me in the train! Can I submit an image for my train wagon? :3

Edited by Misu, 08 April 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#113 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1876 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:23 AM

Fear not Misu. I'm trying out a new way to reveal the theme, which is a combination of puzzles and the traditional method. Basically, solving the puzzle will reveal the next bit of theme info early, but it will be revealed regularly a few days later.
(Although I can't promise that some of the puzzles won't have hidden clues that aren't revealed normally... )

Farewell, old GMC.
Although you stole my posts, I shall remember thee always.

Soundcloud : Wizard Battle

#114 Shadow_Lancer

Shadow_Lancer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:06 AM

Don't mind me... Just getting on da hype train =)

#115 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:49 AM

Anyway,... count me in the train! Can I submit an image for my train wagon? :3

Sure you can! A little note: I've recently got some pretty cool wagon interior sprite that I decided to base default wagon upon, and it looks like that:
NGD1pMw.png
Also, don't forget about sprite! I might do sprites on my own occasionally (like with Nitemare38 or, recently, The M), but there are quite a few people and can't handle everyone on my own. ^^"

I'm in a bit of rush at the moment, but should get back to hype train around the evening or so.

Don't mind me... Just getting on da hype train =)

Teehee, glad people want to get on. The more the merrier~! ^^

Also, I'm glad the theme will be revealed in a traditional way, too. It's entertaining to see various combinations people come up with. ;)

Edited by Alice, 08 April 2015 - 05:49 AM.

LShy6C6.png

#116 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:32 AM

I think this time around I will try to participate but because I won't have the full time to make a game

Hope you can enter the actual Jam man! Even if you just have a spare hour or 2 & it's just a joke game! Hoping to see a big turnout this time!

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#117 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

The winner of GMC Jam #18 was Turtle Termination.

...Interesting prediction

#118 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

I'm gonna offer a new prize to da prize pool!

It's a...

bonus prize for the "Most cleverly hidden potato" in the Jam! ::lmao::

The prize is a potato... in the likeness of the winner! :wub:

(Just for lulz, the prize is real, but don't feel like ya hafta add a potato to your game if ya don't want to).

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#119 kepons

kepons

The Pear

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the theme was Potato.

And the secret word is clearly Mash.

Edited by kepons, 08 April 2015 - 07:56 AM.

This forum has been archived. The content above may differ from my current opinion.

Twitter | GameJolt | Ask.fm
prize_award_4_zpsvm0hohkp.png

#120 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Huh???  So you want to make a game while breaking all the rules of the jam and still enter it into the jam??  How is this even remotely okay with anyone?  If this is okay to do, then every joe shmo that wants some attention for their game can enter it into the jam.

Nitemare38, I'm not trying to pick on you or throw rocks at you, but you, or anyone for that matter, can make or update a game outside the jam anytime they want.  If you can't participate because of scheduling conflicts, then you shouldn't enter.  No big deal.  Perhaps next jam will be more open for you.  I think what you are proposing would seriously compromise the integrity of the jam.

------------------

On another note, here's #10 - HayMan Jam Series.

GMC_PearlJam_Vs.png

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#121 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

--- ----- -- ---- ---- ---- -- -A-- ----- ---- --- -----
Pfft, easy one.
The story of your game must be fake plots with 2-D roles.

#122 JackOatley

JackOatley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

I agree with the HayMan. If you haven't got time to enter the jam during the jamtime along with everyone else, then you shouldn't enter. Don't go off and make a game early, out of jamtime and clearly against the rules, and enter it during jam time. It would be very unsporting of you, and being good sports is the only security we have.

Edited by JackOatley, 08 April 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#123 The M

The M

Friendly Bush Thing

• GMC Member
  • 320 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:45 AM

Also, don't forget about sprite! I might do sprites on my own occasionally (like with Nitemare38 or, recently, The M), but there are quite a few people and can't handle everyone on my own. ^^"

I'm in a bit of rush at the moment, but should get back to hype train around the evening or so.

You beat me to it! That's a pretty awesome sausage though. :D

znEVbqJ.png

#124 Forester

Forester

The One And Only Enragement Cat

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

I made one for myself.

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg
soundcloud - twitter - facebook - ask.fm - advc

#125 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

Snip

Huh???  So you want to make a game while breaking all the rules of the jam and still enter it into the jam??  How is this even remotely okay with anyone?  If this is okay to do, then every joe shmo that wants some attention for their game can enter it into the jam.

Nitemare38, I'm not trying to pick on you or throw rocks at you, but you, or anyone for that matter, can make or update a game outside the jam anytime they want.  If you can't participate because of scheduling conflicts, then you shouldn't enter.  No big deal.  Perhaps next jam will be more open for you.  I think what you are proposing would seriously compromise the integrity of the jam.

I'm not disagreeing with you but the way you worded this post leads me to believe you failed to read the post I made afterwards and I wonder if what you have to say would be any different if you were to read it. That written, you do have a point about it boiling down to just being extra attention to my game. I think I will make a joke game or a super duper short serious game instead.

#126 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

The winner of GMC Jam #18 was Turtle Termination.

...Interesting prediction

Fixed.

qNDVrhl.png

#127 Misu

Misu

Awesometasticness!

• GMC Member
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

Not to worry, I will do my own sprite for the wagon. After all, I'm an artist as well so this would be cool too. :) 

#128 TehPilot

TehPilot

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

After some consideration stemming from a joke post I made earlier:

I will make an effort to try and play the games in rank (last -> first) order on stream, and in doing so, will prepare a potato salad in honor of the top entries. And then I will eat it. Live.

If for whatever reason streaming doesn't work out I'll do videos / photos / a writeup / something.

-~✈~-
To infinity, and surround!

#129 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

2 weeks (& a bit) to go people!!! ::lmao::

Get those prize offers in!

Let's make this the most fantastically prize filled Jam EVOR!

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#130 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Floofpaws is offering:

I will give a Steam copy of Frozen Synapse (the original one) to whomever makes the most interesting strategy game (my judgement).

No please no. I hate strategy games in jams, don't encourage it. D: You know how much one strategy game slows down my voting process? It's like playing 5 games.

Edited by 11clock, 08 April 2015 - 04:57 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#131 CrazedProgrammer

CrazedProgrammer

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

Aww yes I'm in!

This is my first Jam ever and I'm really excited!

(This is also my first post ever on the GMC :P)

261p5sp.jpg

#132 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

Floofpaws is offering:
I will give a Steam copy of Frozen Synapse (the original one) to whomever makes the most interesting strategy game (my judgement).

No please no. I hate strategy games in jams, don't encourage it. D: You know how much one strategy game slows down my voting process? It's like playing 5 games.

Strategy games are fine. It's just that GMCers have the funny tendency to make over-the-top strategy games and then not explain them.
iPqfGiP.png

#133 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

Floofpaws is offering:

Strategy games are fine. It's just that GMCers have the funny tendency to make over-the-top strategy games and then not explain them.

Or submit ones that are largely incomplete and broken messes.

qNDVrhl.png

#134 JackOatley

JackOatley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Aww yes I'm in!

Welcome to the GMC, and the GMC Jam!

Talk about jumping in at the deep end!

Good on you, brave soul.

#135 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

Aww yes I'm in!

Welcome to the GMC, and the GMC Jam!

Talk about jumping in at the deep end!

Good on you, brave soul.

The jam itself isn't so hard. The brave part is daring to go into the discussion thread. Braver still if he dares to ask how the votes are tallied. 

#136 TehPilot

TehPilot

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Braver still if he dares to ask how the votes are tallied.

1/x is better than mIRV amirite???

-~✈~-

#137 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

4609129583.png

#138 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

4609129583.png

I honestly think mIRV is better for things like politics than it is for things like small competitions.

Every single jam I have participated in, I had these same exact thoughts on the winner, "Ehh that was an okay entry I guess but it doesn't deserve 1st place."

The system is designed for all parties to at least be tolerable with whoever is winning. This has resulted in most winners of these jams being only "decent." I would rather see more spectacular entries win than these "slightly above meh" games. (Although I do admit I have always been very impressed with the 2nd and 3rd place winners.)

Edited by 11clock, 08 April 2015 - 05:58 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#139 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

I honestly think mIRV is better for things like politics than it is for things like small competitions.

Every single jam I have participated in, I had these same exact thoughts on the winner, "Ehh that was an okay entry I guess but it doesn't deserve 1st place."

The system is designed for all parties to at least be tolerable with whoever is winning. This has resulted in most winners of these jams being only "decent." I would rather see more spectacular entries win than these "slightly above meh" games. (Although I do admit I have always been very impressed with the 2nd and 3rd place winners.)

As much as I may or may not agree with you I still prefer it to 1/x where there is a significant difference in value between a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place vote whereas each vote further down the line essentially becomes the same numerically. I generally dislike Sum( f(x) ) voting systems since they tend to have the issue where not voting for a game can destroy the odds it has of winning and were a game that recieved more votes might win a game that was better because it might not have been played as often, something Mirv tries to combat.

Iirc Alice, our leading voting expert based on how much actual input she places into these discussions, once proposed a form of pair-voting where entries which I do not recall the specifics of but I quite liked as an alternative.

#140 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1876 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

The question isn't necessarily whether the best game won, but rather whether the winner accurately reflected the voter's opinions. I didn't think that every single winner was the best game in the jam either, but when looking at the votes, it always seems like the winner represents them very well.

Edited by Snail_Man, 08 April 2015 - 06:13 PM.

Farewell, old GMC.

#141 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

(mIRV tends to skew the top 3 positions out of whack, & some/many might argue they're the ones that matter most...)

And this time, cos I'm in charge (& better that I say it now, than that it comes as a shock later...)

voting this Jam is gonna be 1/x

*now that the spark has hit the tinder he scurries off to bed, cackling gleefully*

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#142 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

Eh, I don't really have time to engage in voting system debates at the moment. I've got hype train to run (which I've recently updated to address all requests I've got so far; style constistency might have been lost a bit somewhere, but I hope it's still entertaining :3).

If someone really is interested in the voting system stuff, I've written some general overview some time ago.

Just one more thing: I'd like voting system not only to quite accurately represent the winner, but also the lo- I mean, other sort of winner, and all people ranking in between. That's also why I'm not overly fond of 1/x or other rankpoints-summing system. On the other hand, I guess 1/x in particular could be fixed a little by giving score (1/x - 1/n) per voter rather than raw 1/x, where x is the rank and n is the number of total games played by voter. That way at least a game universally voted last have no way of getting better score than last.

--- EDIT ---
@dadio: what do you think about 1/x-1/n suggestion (since you're the one running the Jam)? That way someone who played only 3 games still gives 2/3 score to their favourite, and no poor game can be skyrocketed by scoring last in brief rankings (e.g. getting 10 10th places out of 10 games played).

Edited by Alice, 08 April 2015 - 06:40 PM.

LShy6C6.png

#143 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

The question isn't necessarily whether the best game won, but rather whether the winner accurately reflected the voter's opinions. I didn't think that every single winner was the best game in the jam either, but when looking at the votes, it always seems like the winner represents them very well.

Please explain how Fort Bloks won GMC Jam #15, then. That winner was incredibly out of the blue. It had generally positive reviews but barely any first place votes. Compare that game's votes to the votes of Booty Trap and my game Disperspective.

Edited by 11clock, 08 April 2015 - 06:46 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#144 nvrogers

nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

I'm not entirely sure I understand your suggestion, Alice, but what if someone only ranked their top 3? Wouldn't that really hurt the third place game?

I work on games sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

#145 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

As much as I may or may not agree with you I still prefer it to 1/x where there is a significant difference in value between a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place vote whereas each vote further down the line essentially becomes the same numerically. I generally dislike Sum( f(x) ) voting systems since they tend to have the issue where not voting for a game can destroy the odds it has of winning and were a game that recieved more votes might win a game that was better because it might not have been played as often, something Mirv tries to combat.

Iirc Alice, our leading voting expert based on how much actual input she places into these discussions, once proposed a form of pair-voting where entries which I do not recall the specifics of but I quite liked as an alternative.

But that is how it SHOULD be. After a certain point down the placings list the games generally become the same quality, while there is a bigger quality gap in the top 10. 1/vote most accurately represents this.

Seriously, I am getting tired of forgettable winners that the general community tends to just shrug at.

Edited by 11clock, 08 April 2015 - 07:03 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#146 TehPilot

TehPilot

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

I've made a terrible mistake.

-~✈~-

#147 Greenblizzard

Greenblizzard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

You ate a raw, green potato?

#148 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1876 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

<SNIP>

But that is how it SHOULD be. After a certain point down the placings list the games generally become the same quality, while there is a bigger quality gap in the top 10. 1/vote most accurately represents this.

Seriously, I am getting tired of forgettable winners that the general community tends to just shrug at.

Do you have any examples of this community shruginess? I'm asking seriously, because I gauge the community's attitude towards *most* winners tends to be *mostly* that they deserved it. I wonder if we're just reading the same posts with different tones of voice.

I also went back to Jam#15. Fort blocks wasn't that way outta left field. There was a pretty tight bunch for the top four, and although it didn't get as many 1st and 2nd place votes, Fort Blocks got a significant number more 3rd, 4th, and 5th place votes. I might add that when I calculated the result using 1/x (using only top 5 votes, because I don't have all the time in the world), the result was much the same, except that FB was a pretty close second to 2dCube's Must Go Up.

Edited by Snail_Man, 08 April 2015 - 07:21 PM.

Farewell, old GMC.

#149 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

I wouldn't be so certain of that. Quite often I had trouble deciding which game should score first, and having one scoring way, way better than the other would feel quite unfair to me. To better reflect this, some score-based system could be used instead of ranking one (e.g. each rated game gets score between 0 and 10), but that would be incompatible with current voting mechanics (not speaking of tallying now), which some people might not really like.

@nvrogers: it would hurt 3rd place only if the person wasn't known to play other games. So e.g. if there's "I've played all games, here's my top 3", the top games would get pretty much as high score as in regular 1/x.

LShy6C6.png

#150 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:33 PM

<SNIP>

Do you have any examples of this community shruginess? I'm asking seriously, because I gauge the community's attitude towards *most* winners tends to be *mostly* that they deserved it. I wonder if we're just reading the same posts with different tones of voice.

I also went back to Jam#15. Fort blocks wasn't that way outta left field. There was a pretty tight bunch for the top four, and although it didn't get as many 1st and 2nd place votes, Fort Blocks got a significant number more 3rd, 4th, and 5th place votes. I might add that when I calculated the result using 1/x (using only top 5 votes, because I don't have all the time in the world), the result was much the same, except that FB was a pretty close second to 2dCube's Must Go Up.

If it got a significant amount of 3rd, 4th, and 5th place votes, shouldn't it be hanging around there instead of #1?

I have seen a consistent pattern with the jam winners. Yeah they are congratulated and whatnot... for like 2 days. Then it's suddenly like the game never existed. Meanwhile I still see my game Disperspective get referenced every once and a while. (Not saying that I should of won. I think Booty Trap deserved the spot. That game was fantastic in every way while Fort Bloks gets dull after a few levels and is generally way too frikkin easy, to the point where strategy, the game's primary element, isn't important anymore. With that said I did think it was pretty good and it got my second place vote.)

Also if you want an example of the shrugginess I was referred to, Fort Bloks. After its announcement as winner it was never spoken of again until now.

(I do admit some games had higher praise for longer after the winner announcement like Race Friends and Disillusion.)

Edited by 11clock, 08 April 2015 - 07:40 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat