92 replies to this topic

#51 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:13 AM

A couple announcements. Also, to prove I'm not dead or something.

The game will be reworked to run at 60fps. This is a pretty big change, as at such a low resolution, 60 fps looks pretty bad. So, there's a lot going on!

While the game will look the same in the future, it will actually have the graphics scaled up, to allow the 60 fps to look much smoother. This will also allow for nicer looking text in the game. I'm also rewriting much of the games code to allow for more flexibility. I did a lot of writing myself into corners, and a lot of hard-coding to make the game run properly. This allowed for a lot of control in-game, but caused the designing and implementing of new assets to be extremely tedious. 

The playable version is still pretty far off, but I want the wait to be well worth it. No more rushed playables. The next version is planned to be Kickstarter material.

Tentative release date of demo? Summer.

Edited by nicktheslayer, 01 October 2015 - 02:13 AM.

#52 BlueSparksFly

BlueSparksFly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:02 AM

I love the way you bring memories of links awakening and the oracle games/

* I hope this helps *

#53 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:42 AM

Alright you guys, another month has gone by in the blink of an eye, but there is progress for sure!

The engine has been redone, and there is even more in this game now than ever, and I feel I've successfully future-proofed my engine so that new ideas can be implemented very easily if they come up. 

There is a name for the game! While the story reasons behind the game are sorta obscure at this point, (To all of you, anyway!), the game is called Ikhōr, which is the Greek word for the Blood of the Gods. 

While there are no new videos or demos yet, you can find some screens at the very new social media pages I've created!

https://www.facebook.com/TeamIkhor

https://twitter.com/Team_Ikhor

I will continue to try to update here when the news is big, but for the smaller announcements, these are the places to be!

Lastly, 25 days from now is the deadline for Taco Bell's Indie Game Garage! You might see something good then. ;)

#54 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

I still wish this was keyboard/joypad controls. ):

Edited by HopelessComposer, 24 October 2015 - 10:48 PM.

#55 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:17 PM

I have done a lot of consideration, and while it's not changing, I can assure you that I will use the controls to their fullest potential. While I can't tell you all of the uses without spoiling some of the fancy gameplay ideas I've got, I do have a few things I can talk about that might make you more comfortable with the thought.

Most of these ideas are anti-frustration features, for example, the penalties for imprecise movement are very forgiving. There are no pits to fall into, and things like spikes won't offer knockback, they'll only slowly drain health.

Also, aiming with the cursor with keyboard movement makes more sense in a shooter, but with the amount of up-close melee attacks, I've found it much more convenient to always be facing the direction you're attacking. 

I suppose a new demo is in order. Not long now for the Taco Bell indie game garage!

#56 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

Yar, I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done since the last demo. Not many people brave enough to make RPGs around these forums. =)

#57 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

Yar, I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done since the last demo. Not many people brave enough to make RPGs around these forums. =)

I don't blame them, it's quite scary!

#58 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:51 PM

I don't blame them, it's quite scary!

And like jumping into a cold swimming pool, it's much more fun than you thought once you dive in. =D

#59 omar_almighty

omar_almighty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

I am digging the graphics. Very retro. The movement flows very well, but, I don't think the control scheme suits the type of game. I find my self bumping into enemies often. The enemies feel reasonably challenging . Like I said before, i'm really loving the art here lol. Maybe it's just nostalgia kicking in from playing lots of zelda games, idunno. ^_^

sprite370.png

Try out my alpha here! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gmc.yoyogames...10#entry4904774

Check it out on Game Jolt!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gamejolt.com/...pancakes/120634

Check out a FREE older project on the Play Store >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://play.google....ghostpoke&hl=en

Follow me on Twitter :) https://twitter.com/omar_almighty

#60 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

I am digging the graphics. Very retro. The movement flows very well, but, I don't think the control scheme suits the type of game. I find my self bumping into enemies often. The enemies feel reasonably challenging . Like I said before, i'm really loving the art here lol. Maybe it's just nostalgia kicking in from playing lots of zelda games, idunno. ^_^

The gameplay will shift from the really Zelda-esque feel of the demos to something a bit tamer, I think. The gameplay won't move the focus away from combat, but it will be less of a hack and slash than Zelda is. The only issue is, the other main focus being puzzles and problem-solving, there isn't a lot of that I can show without spoiling plot pieces or showcasing very large areas of the game, haha. 

#61 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:07 AM

Oh boy guys, you ready? I think I owe you this. I'm working on putting together a final trailer, and this is a really rough cut, but I thought you guys deserved at least this much.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

It's not much, there's a lot more to show still, but I think I'm gonna hold of a little longer. ;)

#62 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:48 PM

The gameplay looks really slow. The trailer didn't hook me at all, unfortunately. =(

Also, your new character doesn't feel like he matches the game. He looks like a GB version of Lucas from Mother 3/the Fallout pipboy mascot, which doesn't really suit the tone or aesthetic of the rest of the game...

I loved those text box noises, though. Pretty great! The atmosphere was alright, but I wasn't really buying the "ooooh, mysterious indie game" thing that everyone's been pushing lately. Doesn't really work with the GBC graphics, at least not for me. The audio really didn't match the visuals. =(

Edited by HopelessComposer, 11 November 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#63 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

The atmospheric music isnt actually for my game, it's mainly there to fill the void. I'll work on more of the faster paced stuff as well, but my concern has been how fast of gameplay I can show with something that introduce a new play style. There's a reason this is a rough cut, this js the feedback i like!

#64 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:32 AM

So, I started playing Earthbound/Mother 2 recently, and it wasn't until then that I really started seeing the unintentional resemblance between my game and it. I'm actually starting to dig the similarities, actually. The more I work on the game, the aesthetic evolves, so I try not to limit myself to what I feel like my game is supposed to look like right now.

I have plans for other biomes in my game, for example, and I feel it would be very limiting to base their design solely on the grass and trees I've used for the first year or so of development. 

I'm also trying to make the levels much more dense. I have too many open spaces, with too little to do, and very little variation in design. Here are some screenshots showing some ways I'm trying to combat that. They are all from the same area, actually. Within a minute or two of each other in gameplay. 

snapshot3_zpsbq6g77pl.png

snapshot4_zpsmgmwam5u.png

snapshot5_zpspt6vrxjf.png

...and here's an example of a use for the Relic item. With a little bit of inspiration from Earthbound, and some of the "dark dungeon" puzzles from the Oracle Zeldas, and I believe the DS Zeldas?

snapshot_zps5ro3h3lv.png

snapshot2_zpsjortgbel.png

#65 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

I hope you guys are ready! I've got a playable demo update!

Here is the old demo, if you want to refresh yourself on what the quality of this was previously: https://www.mediafir...lghoodccbwcmbat

The new demo is much further ahead than this, so here are a few additions to the game:

+Saving, Loading, and Dying

+Swimming

+Ikhor, the pink stuff!

+60 FPS Engine

+The Relic Item

+A fun powerup :)

+Music! (Placeholder)

There are things I have removed, for the sake of keeping this new demo simple:

-Room Transitions

-Hands Item

-Bow Item

-Bow-Specific Enemies

-A few other odds and ends

Finally, a link to the new demo! https://www.mediafir...mtkn5f6he2yyvvi

I've decided an open world is too ambitious, so I'm settling for a more narrative driven, linear game. This will allow me to really stretch my brain in creating fun and challenging levels, without worrying too much about the player getting lost or confused. This demo is much more evocative of the final product, and I will strive to improve this formula in the future.

This is my last demo before the official Kickstarter Demo. I hope to have that one done by the end of summer, but I wanted this demo to act as sort of proof to myself that this game can be fun and engaging, and I hope it is! I'm already hard at work on creating the Kickstarter Demo, which aims to be the first few chapters of the official game! Let me know what you guys think!

#66 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

Guh, tried playing it, but the controls are still killing it for me. DX

Just not satisfying to me. Feels like I'm dragging my guy around on a string. Have you thought about implementing traditional top-down-shooter controls, like those seen in Nuclear Throne and the like? Those work well when you need mouse look. These....not so much, in my opinion.

Also, even if your music is just (placeholder) music, you should still say where it's from. (Shadow of the Colossus.)

#67 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

Ooh! I did forget to mention, the music is an 8Bit cover of The Opened Way from SotC, made by RockBomber on YouTube. https://youtu.be/ez8hjrhOfv4

#68 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:15 PM

There we go. X'D

#69 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

I tried it and I like your progress so far. Feels great visually as usual and you really really improved the environements. I am yet to finish the demo though but he's some stuff I noticed so far: 

- Am still not a fan of the controls. I really feel I need a cross or arrows to move around, ala Zelda games. I feel I am dragging my character around and I never feel agile, fast of confident. I don't even want to imagine later with more agile mobs around... 

- Mobs are killing me very very fast. I would have love to have either a knockback like in Zelda and a generally longer "invincibility after being hit" time. 

- You should make the magnifying glasses more useful. When I click on the save, it should say "this is a recording device" or something, Once I saved I should have had a little message on screen saying "game saved" or something. Or maybe you have tutorial room or level planned for this. Anyways, more feedback for the player would have been great. I would have even loved receiving like "this is a tree" when clicking on them  lol 

- I think the climbing graphic should be more apparent, it didn't jump to me that I could climb up/down there. 

Edited by RangerX, 11 January 2016 - 05:41 AM.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#70 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:38 AM

This is the stuff I like, so here are my responses

-I'm anticipating mixed reviews based on the controls alone, as controversial as any Zelda game with unconventional controls has been. In the long run, I still tweak the controls here and there, I'm trying to make this scheme as comfortable as possible. Also, the reason I've used the same enemy type for every demo is because most people aren't used to the controls. "More Agile" mobs won't exist in the same way they do in Zelda, they'll have patterns and behaviors fine-tuned to fit this game's control scheme.

-I'll make the time longer, and see if I can tune it to be more fair. I know that I'm much better at the game, because I play it every day, so I'll be sure to tone the difficulty down in the future.

-This is something where, It's easily scripted and implemented, I've just been focusing so much more on the level design itself, that I've got to admit it sort of slipped my mind how rarely it's used. I'll be sure to ramp up the amount of things that can be interacted with. I'm also planning on a cursor icon for the magnifying glass that changes based on whether an object can be interacted with, and whether or not you're close enough to interact with it.

-The graphic being the tiles showing the footholds in the walls? I can make something new, that's more obvious. It's always been obvious to me, but hey, I put them there, haha.

Let me know what you think overall, when you've finished the demo, and what you think of the new character sprites!

(also, maybe an estimate of how long the demo took you to play?)

#71 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:52 AM

This is the stuff I like, so here are my responses

-I'm anticipating mixed reviews based on the controls alone, as controversial as any Zelda game with unconventional controls has been. In the long run, I still tweak the controls here and there, I'm trying to make this scheme as comfortable as possible. Also, the reason I've used the same enemy type for every demo is because most people aren't used to the controls. "More Agile" mobs won't exist in the same way they do in Zelda, they'll have patterns and behaviors fine-tuned to fit this game's control scheme.

-I'll make the time longer, and see if I can tune it to be more fair. I know that I'm much better at the game, because I play it every day, so I'll be sure to tone the difficulty down in the future.

-This is something where, It's easily scripted and implemented, I've just been focusing so much more on the level design itself, that I've got to admit it sort of slipped my mind how rarely it's used. I'll be sure to ramp up the amount of things that can be interacted with. I'm also planning on a cursor icon for the magnifying glass that changes based on whether an object can be interacted with, and whether or not you're close enough to interact with it.

-The graphic being the tiles showing the footholds in the walls? I can make something new, that's more obvious. It's always been obvious to me, but hey, I put them there, haha.

Let me know what you think overall, when you've finished the demo, and what you think of the new character sprites!

(also, maybe an estimate of how long the demo took you to play?)

About your last comments.... 

- I trust you can make the game with that current control scheme in mind. Be careful and it should be fine. 

- Difficulty is ok right now. Well, the game is so early we don't even have time to feel a curve anyways so --- this is worries for later! :)

- The red text reeks greatness. Make the "scan" zone forgiving and larger than the concerned objects. 

Ok now the new impressions since I played the whole thing (around 20 mins)... 

- The character sprite is the right size and will be great. I'd love for it to look less "casual guy" and more a guy that's on his element, you know, more "warrior" or "hero" like. But I also don't know whats the story for your game so maybe the character fits well without me knowing :P

- I suppose its like that because its early but pressing ESC and quitting the game without some "are you sure" type of message is not elegant. 

- You probably don't round the character position after it stops moving because when I play "fullscreen", the scaling up makes your pixel art look messed up because the character is at a position that is a fraction like "X = 23,35467"

- Can escape green energy balls (lol)

- At the first Gear mob, I encounter an annoying problem that is probably easily fixed. He was messing around at the bottom of the ladder and therefore, if I was to go down, I would absolutely have to receive a hit. And he really didn't want to go away. I would suggest you have some invisible "no ennemy" zones and make your AI aware of that. Just to save some cheap hits like that. You could put those save zones at the bottom of ladders, around certain interactive objects and the likes. Could be useful. Food for thoughts. Anyhow, this experience of mine here lead me to another point: 

- I can kill ennemies from an unevent plane. This got me out of the annoying situation with the ladder base but at the same time, it might or might not be good that we can kill ennemies from a different plane. Design choices! 

- Can't go back. Maybe its because its a training level of some kind. In any case, with this type of games I love backtracking. 

- Your graphics are great as always. Although I would have bet the pink water was poisonous or something. It doesn't look safe. 

- I would love to see a sword swing animation. I wonder if its in your plans. The character would probably feel less "dragged" around as a positive consequence even if you'd have to create 8 animations there :P

- Another suggestion. I would let the character sink behind trees and stuff for like half character size. That would be enough to not mess your designs and just enough to put some great suspension of disbelief in there + a little bit better sense of space for the player. 

- That big sword is awesome. Now I felt I wasn't a wuss. Have you got alot of power ups planned? 

- Free suggestion, I love menus. I would have loved to have at least one. It could be your "pause" at the same time. Could be accessible by right clicking on the character with that magnifying glass looking item we have from the beginning or something. 

Edited by RangerX, 11 January 2016 - 06:54 AM.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

(alpha section)

#72 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

Is there any reason you're so dead-set on this control scheme? You say you're going to tailor the monsters to the controls, but that seems backwards to me. Whenever the controls in a game are a main part of the "challenge" in a game, you're in for a bad time, I think. Why would we want our player to be sluggish and hard to control, with slow and predictable monsters made to match when you could just let us move with the keyboard?

Edited by HopelessComposer, 11 January 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#73 CzarSquid

CzarSquid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

Going off what I've played as of today. I know this is an alpha demo but I'll share what I liked and what can be improved without being too nit picky.

I really like the art style. I see some sprites based on Legend of Zelda for Gameboy but this is okay but it looks and feels unique.

The main character looks like an earthbound character.

Music is a Shadow of Colossus chip tune which I think helps builds a sense of adventure

Controls are okay. I'm not a huge fan of DS Zelda controls but it works fine. I just get stuck on some terrain

The sword powerup is awesome and I hope you build on that feature in the future.

It felt very linear. If you do choose to head down the route of a Zelda style game you will want to build a world that can be explored. This often means making areas that lead to dead ends or having an NPC to talk to. It doesn't have to be Skyrim huge but it be nice to have some bonus areas to explore. I only bring this up because open world design needs to start early on.

On building things early on the art style is good but you will need a bit more than just trees, bushes, and water. Add some foliage. Add pathways. I really like the ruins in the beginning and seeing you have skeletons adds some destroyed buildings. There is much you can do to build up your atmosphere and it doesn't even need a plot to play a role.

There was a 3 pillar area with a button that made a sound when pressed. I don't know what it did. A text box explaining once would really help (but I didn't use the magnifying glass on it).

I will watch this game and see what comes of it. I will play the completed version when it's ready. :D

Edited by CzarSquid, 11 January 2016 - 09:51 PM.

No demo yet but check out the latest screenshot of Warrior of Eventide here. It is a Zelda style action RPG with procedural content for monsters, items and dungeons.

#74 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

Here are screenshots demonstrating the new cursor controls in action:

Default blue cursor. There's nothing to click there.

Spoiler

Red Notification Cursor. There's something there, but you're not close enough!

Spoiler

Green Notification Cursor. Hey, click it! Something will happen!

Spoiler

Something Happened!

Spoiler

EDIT: Twice now I've written a pages long response to you guys, (RangerX, HopelessComposer, CzarSquid), only for my browser to delete it within the last two sentences of completion. I'll get to your guy's questions and criticisms later, but right now, the frustration of writing it twice already is too much, hahaha. Thanks for being patient :)

Edited by nicktheslayer, 12 January 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#75 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:46 AM

copy paste to a notepad before pressing send! 

( I swear I do this when my answers are long and I never wrote something twice lol)

Edited by RangerX, 12 January 2016 - 02:49 AM.

(alpha section)

#76 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

Still waiting for your answer buddy.  (joke :P)

I wanted to comeback and say that new cursor thing will make it better and more useful. I like it.

(alpha section)

#77 HeWhoHasRisen

HeWhoHasRisen

GMC Member

• 7 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

Game was okay, controls didn't feel right though.

7/10

#78 FROGANUS

FROGANUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

I like it- really nice as a demo so far. Great artwork and style. The control style is fine- I feel like you need to add some point and click based gameplay so people can see how the cursor-focused style would work for more than just slashing enemies. (I guess that's what you had in mind?) also bow and arrow would be nice with the mouse so I look forward to seeing proper implementation in later version.

TBH I think my main peeve with the game so far is that you can't walk behind objects only in front of them? Like the clipping if I walk downwards into a tree is my toes hitting the top of the tree?
Also I'd suggest (maybe obviously) touching up a few kind of "tween" artwork issues, like the odd arrow button that just immediately teleports you without any signal as to what is happening, the slashing animation could use at the very least like some motion of the hand to connect to the sword?

Good work! Keep it up!
-FROGANUS

-FROGANUS

#79 pit80

pit80

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Sent you PM

#80 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

Okay, I know I haven't been responsive recently, but I've been working hard still, and the job I've got currently is helping fund the game as well! I'm currently working with a composer on a deal for original music, and if this gains enough traction, I can work on finding a programmer who can handle a game of this size properly. Again, I'm a programmer only out of necessity, hahaha.

I do have a new screenshot, however. I finished some indoor tiles!

HouseScreen_zpsgdyeeth3.png

In this room alone, there are 6 clickable objects, so this might show you the density of world interaction I'm going for, after you've all brought to my attention how barren the world has been in terms of using the magnifying glass. I intend for there to be a lot of flavor text, though there will be clues and story elements riddled throughout those messages. 

I may at some point try to schedule a Q&A session, or try to amass a bunch of questions to answer in a formal way, rather than attempting to address everything here, which has proven impossible for me, haha.

#81 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

Nice little update. Still watching your thing closely  :)

(alpha section)

#82 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:23 PM

Another minor update! You can stand behind stuff now. The tops of trees and other tall objects now draw in front of the player, allowing the player to walk around objects more comfortably. :)

MillHouse1_zpsm7uhdink.png

MillHouse2_zpslbpbklfs.png

MillHouse3_zps91rbb6sl.png

#83 matheus.reis

matheus.reis

Insane!

• GMC Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:39 PM

Yeaaah keep up the great work. Loved the project at first glance and still tracking it. Nice progress! :)

Edited by matheus.reis, 11 March 2016 - 12:05 AM.

E5jHbWP.png

icon_psx.gif
:( WHY HAVE I SOLD YOU?!? :(

#84 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:14 AM

Thank you guys! I feel like I should probably continue to show the smaller updates, rather than waiting forever to show off a bunch of stuff at once.

Edited by nicktheslayer, 11 March 2016 - 12:15 AM.

#85 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

I for one like to have smaller updates instead of a huge one every two months. I should do that myself with my game's thread  lol

(alpha section)

#86 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

Here's another screenshot showing off a peculiar building, complete with guards and waterwheels! The tiles aren't completed, but this is a new area you haven't seen yet :)

Waterwheels_zpsssviuloc.png

#87 jimthegreat1012

jimthegreat1012

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

Looks good, but the perspective on the lower waterwheel is distractingly wrong. Like the general look and feel, though. :)

#88 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

Looks good, but the perspective on the lower waterwheel is distractingly wrong. Like the general look and feel, though. :)

Yeah, I noticed that after posting, hahaha. Ive got another water wheel almost sprited to replace it, but circles at an angle are harder than I thought. Thanks though, i'm willing to accept all the crits i can get!

#89 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, I noticed that after posting, hahaha. Ive got another water wheel almost sprited to replace it, but circles at an angle are harder than I thought. Thanks though, i'm willing to accept all the crits i can get!

Actually there's no down perspective (to the opposite of Zelda A Link To The Past) in your game. This keeps things very easy to make. We just need to see the top of wheel just like you see the top of the wall. You basically make a perfect circle and then copy paste another one but a bit lower (depending how large you want the top to be) and voila, its done. 

Edited by RangerX, 20 March 2016 - 01:46 PM.

(alpha section)

#90 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

Actually there's no down perspective (to the opposite of Zelda A Link To The Past) in your game. This keeps things very easy to make. We just need to see the top of wheel just like you see the top of the wall. You basically make a perfect circle and then copy paste another one but a bit lower (depending how large you want the top to be) and voila, its done. 

Well, almost true. I'm not sure why i said "at an angle", I meant I still have to fill the space between the circles with something, hahaha. But here!

wheel_zps8szkqidw.png

Howzzat?

#91 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

Well, that sure looks fine however it looks larger than the other Wheel. I would make in thinner a little.

(alpha section)

#92 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:27 PM

Since that's the only instance of that wheel, and there's a thin one on each side, I'm not gonna worry about it. At least it's symmetrical, hahaha.

A different sort of update.. here are a couple NPC sprites I made recently! This game will actually have characters. Whoah.

newchars_zpsbwyjnj12.png

#93 jimthegreat1012

jimthegreat1012

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

The wheel's perspective is still obviously wrong, though. Look at your walls - it should be obvious how thick and big the wheel needs to be, since this is a simple projection!:P

The left wheel is basically as thick as the wall it's next to. That means the bottom wheel should be the same width as the wall it's next to!

Also, the bottom wheel feels like it's way higher compared to the wall than the side wheel. There's not much you can do about it in a projection like this, but the side wheel looks like it's much lower, because it isn't casting a shadow or anything on the top of the wall near it. You should lower the front water wheel. Water wheels are supposed to be in the water anyway, right? X'D

The new NPCs are cute. It'd be easier to judge them in-game, though. I'm not a fan of the left guy's arms, if that's his final sprite. Feels like he's unfinished!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop, retro, adventure, rpg, 2d