#1 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

Controls

Everything is controlled completely by the mouse. 

Left MB for movement.

Right MB to use the equipped item.

Mouse Wheel to scroll through equipped items.

The magnifying glass acts as your Interact button, similar to the A button in Zelda and the cursor in games like King's Quest.

Use it to read things, examine them, and pick up items.

Demo

New Demo! https://www.mediafir...mtkn5f6he2yyvvi

Old Demo: https://www.mediafir...lghoodccbwcmbat

Videos

Newer Video! (Now Outdated. Making videos is hard.)

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

This is a rather old video, showing off the engine as it was back in March 2015. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=JWyyxviEJL0

Screenshots and Other Images

Spoiler

Contact Info

Edited by nicktheslayer, 25 March 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#2 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Looking cool. I'll check it out tomorrow after work. =D

It'd be better to ditch mouse controls though, I think. They don't do anything to make the game better...buttons are faster, easier, and more reliable. The stylus input is why I didn't play either of the DS Zelda games. =(

You'll notice that the 3Ds Zelda went back to normal controls, since they didn't have to show off the second screen anymore.

Edit: Played it real quick. Bleargh. Yeah, feels awful, like I thought. Like playing a crappy browser game. =(

Change the controls. Your graphics are nice, and Zelda-likes are always awesome. Don't ruin your game with a gimmicky control scheme! D:

Edited by HopelessComposer, 30 March 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#3 14thLord

14thLord

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hey I'm in full support of keeping your current control scheme, in idea at least. Instead of advertising it as a phantom hourglass with a mouse, pen it as a touch game also playable via mouse. Program it in mind for people with touch monitors / laptops / tablets.

Make the weapon strike whenever you left click instead of just right clicking, and holding down moves your character. Similar as how in mega man whenever you wanted to charge your buster you had to fire once first. Also it seemed the distance required to move faster was a bit much. I suggest exploring a sensitivity option as whats good for you might not be good for others. Some people might even want it less sensitive than it currently is!

#4 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

Edit: Played it real quick. Bleargh. Yeah, feels awful, like I thought. Like playing a crappy browser game. =(

Change the controls. Your graphics are nice, and Zelda-likes are always awesome. Don't ruin your game with a gimmicky control scheme! D:

This is almost backwards to a lot of criticism I've gotten elsewhere, so I assume the controls are a matter of preference. I'll be keeping the controls, though in the future I'll experiment with ways to make the game more accessible, for sure. 

Hey I'm in full support of keeping your current control scheme, in idea at least. Instead of advertising it as a phantom hourglass with a mouse, pen it as a touch game also playable via mouse. Program it in mind for people with touch monitors / laptops / tablets.

Make the weapon strike whenever you left click instead of just right clicking, and holding down moves your character. Similar as how in mega man whenever you wanted to charge your buster you had to fire once first. Also it seemed the distance required to move faster was a bit much. I suggest exploring a sensitivity option as whats good for you might not be good for others. Some people might even want it less sensitive than it currently is!

Well, the initial idea was a Phantom Hourglass clone, or a remake of a Zelda with this control scheme, but since then, it's been slowly but surely moving away from that sort of game. I definitely won't advertise it as any Zelda, that is for sure.

I also plan to find a way to make this control scheme work for tablets and other touch devices, but for the time being, I'm working on enemy and level design.

Also: I will have an actual level based demo here soon, showing off my thinking for level design and such. So... stay tuned for that!

#5 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

This is almost backwards to a lot of criticism I've gotten elsewhere, so I assume the controls are a matter of preference. I'll be keeping the controls, though in the future I'll experiment with ways to make the game more accessible, for sure.

Can you give any reasons for this control scheme, besides "I wanted to copy Zelda?" Nintendo ditched the control scheme as soon as they finished trying to justify the DS' second screen. There's a reason for that. =P

This control scheme would be great on tablets or phones, where there are no buttons. The Phantom hourglass control scheme definitely beats the "digital joystick" most tablet games use.

That said, if you have buttons, why wouldn't you use them? They're obviously faster and more precise than dragging your finger or mouse everywhere.

Anyway, I'd suggest having the option to use either control scheme, at least. You'll alienate a lot of players, otherwise. Looking forward to playing your game, though. =D

#6 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

There are a few reasons I kept the design. There are items and scenarios I have planned that require the precision the mouse allows, as opposed to buttons and directional keys. I also plan to include elements from old school point and click adventure titles, like King's Quest, to allow you to search for clues and items.

#7 Gravedust

Gravedust

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:33 AM

Played for around 10 minutes, stopped once I figured I had figured things out well enough to add my thoughts. :)

There is not a lot to it at the moment, obviously, but what there is so far is congrous and entertaining. With a bit of variety in enemies and terrain the replay value could be enhanced quite a lot. I'm sure you have many plans for that down the road though.

I think what  strikes me the most about it in it's current state is how faithful it is to the retro aesthetic. I mean it really, REALLY looks and sounds like somehing I'd jam into a NES back in the day.

a couple notes:

+ The colors used in the health bar make it hard to tell at a glance what the health level is. (By contrast, look at how easy it is to tell your magic level) I think a little more difference between the foreground and background color of the health bar would help this a lot.

+ A visual effect for when the player takes damage might be useful, to go with the audio cue.

+ Slappy hands are OP. But it's a demo and they're actually fun as hell, so ehh. ;)

+ I wasn't sure what the health globes were at first, and so spent about half my first round running away from them. The fact that they track the player (and are red) makes them seem hostile. this is a pretty minor point, but first impression are important. ;)

I think you will probably keep seeing a divide regarding opinions on your control scheme. My personal feeling is that I like it. It's simple but interesting, and it's nice to be able to play a game with one hand and hold my drink with the other. ;) The trick will be to use the scheme to it's greatest potential, so I'm interested to see what you can do with it besides what's already shown. You will definitely need to make some concessions to acommodate this unusual control scheme as well, though. It felt very awkward trying to maneuver around the tree in the lower-left hand of the map. These are problems that need to be carefully adressed, but I think with some foresight and experimentation you can find something that works. :)

Anyway, looks like a good start, keep at it! I'd love to see a full level mocked up with a few more enemy types, and some dialog NPCs.

KUoIG7c.png
Please give me a hand by provding feedback on my new game, Descender! Submit your best level times and be included in the credits! Click here.

#8 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

I love all of the criticism here, but I'll just address these points:

+ The colors used in the health bar make it hard to tell at a glance what the health level is. (By contrast, look at how easy it is to tell your magic level) I think a little more difference between the foreground and background color of the health bar would help this a lot.

+ A visual effect for when the player takes damage might be useful, to go with the audio cue.

+ Slappy hands are OP. But it's a demo and they're actually fun as hell, so ehh. ;)

+ I wasn't sure what the health globes were at first, and so spent about half my first round running away from them. The fact that they track the player (and are red) makes them seem hostile. this is a pretty minor point, but first impression are important. ;)

+ I have trouble checking the health myself, but the NES palette makes it difficult to find a red that's not too dark or light to use, haha.

+ I've been trying to make a palette flashing affect, like NES games typically use, but I haven't figured out how to make it work yet. It is on it's way, though!

+ The clapping hands are an item you'll find late in the game, but I figured I should include a method of attack that both affect all enemies, and set this a little farther away from strictly Zelda items.

+ Maybe I'll change the health to green, to make both the Health Meter easier to read, and the Health Orbs seem less... hostile, :P

EDIT ~ Check out the new demo I posted up top! It shows the new health bar and orbs as well, though you may be sad to find I took your hands away.  :whistle:

Edited by nicktheslayer, 01 April 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#9 Gravedust

Gravedust

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:54 AM

Hmm. I may just be a bit dense this evening but it appears that both the download links point to the same file. DL'd it anyway just in case, but it appears to be the same version I played last.

Edited by Gravedust, 02 April 2015 - 12:54 AM.

KUoIG7c.png
Please give me a hand by provding feedback on my new game, Descender! Submit your best level times and be included in the credits! Click here.

#10 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:42 AM

Hmm. I may just be a bit dense this evening but it appears that both the download links point to the same file. DL'd it anyway just in case, but it appears to be the same version I played last.

Huh. MediaFire dun goofed me up I guess.

I changed the link in the original post, but here it is, for convenience: http://www.mediafire...bf/version6.zip

EDIT: Well, the game demo was compiled wrong it seems, and I also found a few game-breaking bugs. I'll update this again as soon as I can with a fixed demo.

Edited by nicktheslayer, 03 April 2015 - 04:13 AM.

#11 Shury

Shury

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:59 AM

It's a nice start. Gravedust's feedback had the same stuff i'd write about the evil health orbs and health bar. I spent some time running form the health too. The slappy hands are very nice, did you take it from a ps2 game? I dont remember its name now but i remember somthing like this... About the controls, i think its ok to play like this, gives a difficulty when you need to attack-turn repeat. One thing i didn like much is the green color of the game. It just seems too eye-burning bright. The 8 direction sprite that faces the cursor is also nice. Enemyes are too flower-like but i'm gessing its a placeholder sprite...

#12 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:04 AM

You ever updating this demo, or what? I'm curious about what you've made. =P

#13 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

I would suggest to add more colors! Colors make the world more interesting. So much green.

#14 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:45 AM

I tried your demo and  I quite like it. I know its very early but let me tell you my first impressions: 

- The game felt like it was crawling and was not really smooth. Have you thought about making it 60 fps?

- I love the NES style graphics. You seem to be good at that, continue in that direction because it definetely is having its charm. 

- The controls aren't my style like AT ALL. Sorry about that lol. I would feel much more connected to the character if I was moving with a direction cross or joystick. With the mouse like I never quite feel I am entirely in control of my speed and I never fell I can move and stop at the exact moment I wish for. Basically, this type of control sort of is counter-immersive to me. Your controls would fit with me if it was more "A Link To The Past" really.

- I wish the demo was longer or showing other aspects of the game (if any are testable yet of course)

All in all, I can feel I want to follow the progress of this game. It could be really great in the end. I mean, there's really a bell ringing with me there. 

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#15 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:31 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates, guys! Development is still going strong, but I decided I really need to slow down, and make the demo as great as possible. The previous demo was a bit rushed. Here are my responses.

It's a nice start. Gravedust's feedback had the same stuff i'd write about the evil health orbs and health bar. I spent some time running form the health too. The slappy hands are very nice, did you take it from a ps2 game? I dont remember its name now but i remember somthing like this... About the controls, i think its ok to play like this, gives a difficulty when you need to attack-turn repeat. One thing i didn like much is the green color of the game. It just seems too eye-burning bright. The 8 direction sprite that faces the cursor is also nice. Enemyes are too flower-like but i'm gessing its a placeholder sprite...

Health has been fixed, will be in new demo. The hands are original, to my knowledge. I've never seen them before, haha. They'll do more than clap in the final version. I'm glad you like the controls. I know opinion is divided, and it's hard to see now, I'm sure, but I plan to make it's use very justified. Moreso than Nintendo did with the DS Zelda games. I've got much better plans. Those are meant to be gears, or cogwheels. They were made for the prototype of this game, where it had a much different story, involving mechanical monsters. Perhaps we'll see them in this game?

You ever updating this demo, or what? I'm curious about what you've made. =P

Soon...ish? I'm hoping to have actual original music composed this time around, so it may be delayed further for that reason.

I would suggest to add more colors! Colors make the world more interesting. So much green.

This is something that I'm trying to work out as well, actually. Other areas in the game aren't so bland, but they also aren't ready to be seen. I'm looking for more ways to break up the scenery, :P

I tried your demo and  I quite like it. I know its very early but let me tell you my first impressions: 

- The game felt like it was crawling and was not really smooth. Have you thought about making it 60 fps?

- I love the NES style graphics. You seem to be good at that, continue in that direction because it definetely is having its charm. 

- The controls aren't my style like AT ALL. Sorry about that lol. I would feel much more connected to the character if I was moving with a direction cross or joystick. With the mouse like I never quite feel I am entirely in control of my speed and I never fell I can move and stop at the exact moment I wish for. Basically, this type of control sort of is counter-immersive to me. Your controls would fit with me if it was more "A Link To The Past" really.

- I wish the demo was longer or showing other aspects of the game (if any are testable yet of course)

All in all, I can feel I want to follow the progress of this game. It could be really great in the end. I mean, there's really a bell ringing with me there. 

A doozy here:

- Not sure how to make it 60fps. I'll look into that, actually.

- Thank you! 

- Actually, the disconnect with the character in this way is almost intentional. While it may be good or bad in people's opinions, I like the idea that maybe you're leading this character around, not acting as them.

- The next demo may not be long, either, but my hopes are that it will be dense. If you're not sure what I mean, think about Half-Life, and how there was rarely a dull moment. That's what I aim for.

Thank you all for your interest! I may post screenshots here soon to show what I've been working on. :)

#16 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:34 AM

Here's an update to my progress.

I'll start with the screenshots:

Areas to explore, rather than a simple arena area. I'm trying to break up the relentlessly green background with some flowers here and there.

screen1_zpsxwejvfpl.png

Same area, shows dialogue. The Magnifying Glass item acts as your tool to interact with an observe the environment. Try it on everything, maybe you'll uncover more clues and items this way!

screen2_zpsr6cnvvoi.png

Another area from early in the game. There are campsites nearby. New screens and demos may begin to give clues into the game's story, but I must be careful not to reveal too much!

screen3_zpsuxet09oz.png

#17 matheus.reis

matheus.reis

Insane!

• GMC Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:58 AM

Have you given up on this? I really enjoyed the demo, the controls feel comfortable to me and I loved the pixel art! :)

E5jHbWP.png

icon_psx.gif
:( WHY HAVE I SOLD YOU?!? :(

#18 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:25 PM

Month and a half since last update...

I was looking forward to seeing this, too. =(

#19 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

This isn't dead, thankfully. I'm currently working two jobs, however, so progress is very, very slow. I'm sorry for keeping you guys in the dark, but this is for sure sticking around! I'll post more news when I've got it, until then, be sure to follow the topic, as updates may be easy to miss!

#20 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:10 PM

Alright guys, here it is! A new demo!

While it isn't super polished, or even what I would consider complete, I don't want to continue working on the demo as it is very linear, and will be scrapped before the actual level and world design of the game begins. This is further proof of concept, I suppose. 

While I'm sure I've got all the glitches listed in my head, be sure to let me know what you find, and if you have any other questions or comments, feel free to post them here!

https://www.mediafir...lghoodccbwcmbat

Let me know what you guys think!

#21 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

Okay, little more of an update. 

I sorted out a bit of a system for creating the world map. Made a grid. Made some squares. I'm so tired of squares. Everything is squares.

Spoiler

Close up of the area D-4 on the map, currently the only one I've made significant progress on. You can see each room is numbered.

Spoiler

In-progress layout of room D-4-14

New1_zpsxnjglukr.png

In-progress layout of room D-4-15

new2_zpsete5asqe.png

Edited by nicktheslayer, 28 July 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#22 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:21 AM

Here's a bit more of the map! Including the road to what may, or may not be the first dungeon.

For extra reference, here is the map I use when programming again:

20150728_122243_zpsvvi9uvqw.jpg

mapstarted_zps9s6wry3a.png

The map above is made strictly from screenshots of gamemaker, showing only the tiles in the room editor. This means they are all in the game in this form so far, and no objects are shown, meaning none of this is interactive, and no enemies/puzzles are shown.

This also means you can see some of my tiling errors, placeholder tiles, and unfinished rooms! I still thought you would all be interested in this, though. What do you guys think?

There is much to be done, even in these rooms. I do have plans for the very large rooms, but they are still being sketched on paper before I resort to tiling and re-tiling such large rooms. I can typically draft the smaller rooms in GM, but the larger ones would be a pain.

#23 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

Only thing I can see is that if you want to improve the "organic" feel of those plains, I'd make the rooms less square by having the wall not perfectly straight. You know, just having the slightly going in and out, sort of like on the right.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

(alpha section)

#24 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

Still needs more color! It's like the original gameboy where everything is green!

#25 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

...It's actually like the Gameboy Color, which I'm pretty sure is what he's going for, RujiK. =P

#26 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:30 AM

Only thing I can see is that if you want to improve the "organic" feel of those plains, I'd make the rooms less square by having the wall not perfectly straight. You know, just having the slightly going in and out, sort of like on the right.

Well, those big rooms, (the plains), are actually just placeholders. They'll look much more like the smallers rooms on the right when I'm done. 

Still needs more color! It's like the original gameboy where everything is green!

Well, this is mostly just grass at the moment, but when there are enemies, buildings, and the character in place, there will be much more color involved, haha.

...It's actually like the Gameboy Color, which I'm pretty sure is what he's going for, RujiK. =P

Fun fact, the original version of this game used the GBC palette, but I switched to the NES palette when I realized it was much brighter. :)

#27 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

You seem to know what you're doing. Keep up!

(alpha section)

#28 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Been interested in this for a while, and finally downloaded it. It seems like a nice idea, reminds me of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, which was the first Zelda game I played as a kid. So that was pretty cool :)

However, I didn't know how to pick up that sword at first (figured out it was right click) and I still don't know how to use it, if I can. Love the graphics, I too am shooting for NES styled graphics in my second project :) Except mine is a sidescrolling platformer

#29 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

Been interested in this for a while, and finally downloaded it. It seems like a nice idea, reminds me of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, which was the first Zelda game I played as a kid. So that was pretty cool :)

However, I didn't know how to pick up that sword at first (figured out it was right click) and I still don't know how to use it, if I can. Love the graphics, I too am shooting for NES styled graphics in my second project :) Except mine is a sidescrolling platformer

Woops! Looks like the newest version I uploaded lacks the readme file. I added the controls to the original post. Read that, and try it again. :)

#30 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• 1019 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

when you die this happens

of  Step Event0
for object obj_player:

Unable to find any instance for object index '1' name 'obj_player'
at gml_Object_obj_player_Step_0
############################################################################################

But overall the game is amazing. The interface is pretty cool, graphics are phenomenal, and this whole project has some huge potential. Can't wait to see where it goes :)

Edited by Barvix, 05 August 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#31 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:26 AM

But overall the game is amazing. The interface is pretty cool, graphics are phenomenal, and this whole project has some huge potential. Can't wait to see where it goes :)

I hadn't really programmed dying, since I hadn't gotten the save system working yet, but it'll be updated next demo!

Also, in order to make the difference between this game and Zelda more apparent, I've been working on new character sprites.

preview_zpsrvahtvkd.png

This is an exciting change for me, as the character sprites were the last thing in this game that was not already 100% original work. (again, they were edited heavily from Link's sprites in the Gameboy games.) They're still being polished, but they're good enough to show at this time.

#32 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Good base sprite, it will truly benefit your game.

(alpha section)

#33 richardlord

richardlord

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:06 AM

Augh!  Why can't I draw like you!  *Answers own question* Because I don't have the patience.  

Anyway, this game has a real solid feel to it.  As it's late at night, I won't go into much detail, but I like the mouse base controls, the sprites were great, and I couldn't find many major issues.  Tomorrow, I'll try to give a more in depth analysis.

#34 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:10 AM

Good base sprite, it will truly benefit your game.

Thank you!

Augh!  Why can't I draw like you!  *Answers own question* Because I don't have the patience.  

Anyway, this game has a real solid feel to it.  As it's late at night, I won't go into much detail, but I like the mouse base controls, the sprites were great, and I couldn't find many major issues.  Tomorrow, I'll try to give a more in depth analysis.

This wasn't 100% mine, actually. The members of The Spriters Resource forums have been very helpful as well. :) I look forward to your analysis!

#35 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• 1019 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

Will download when done watching Youtube and might give feedback tonight. Or at least I'll shoot for tonight as tomorrow I have to get ready to FINALLY go back home.

#36 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:00 AM

This isn't much of an update, but I don't know for sure if this is clear yet.

I am currently looking for help on this project. Namely spriting and composing. Spriting i can do, but the process consists of me designing and programming objects, and then taking a while to sprite/animate it into the game. Spriting and animation usually takes a long time, but with help I can focus on the actual design of the game.

This goes double for tiling. The process is typically 1. Decide on theme of area. 2. Spend hours creating a tile set that fits together. 3. Actually designing the area. It truly is the reason my game is moving so slowly.

As for composition, the game can continue easily without that, but it would have much nicer demos with some proper music, haha.

If anyone is interested, pm me here, or email me at claypotgames@gmail.com

#37 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:33 AM

The perspective of your character sprite is changing significantly when he turns. Be careful of that. It's not a huge deal with such small sprites, but it still looks a little strange.

#38 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

These are already much less than the sprites are now. I wont shoq them for a while, but they'll look grand :)

#39 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

Honestly, if it wasn't for the boatload of graphics I need to do for my own game, I would totally have helped you.

(alpha section)

#40 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• 1019 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

If I weren't working on two games at once and about to go back to school in 11 days, I would help you with this right away. Perhaps a little bit down the road I can help once I roll out Bunaria's 4th Demo and Teufel's first demo.

#41 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

Wooh! In college now for videogame design and development. Sooo, maybe slower, but better updates? We'll see!

#42 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:10 AM

Don't get your hopes up too high. I have plenty of friends who went through four years of art school and still can't draw better than I did when I was fourteen.

They'll show you things and answer questions, but you'll only get as much as you put in.

It's cool that you're in school for it, though. You're going to have a lot of fun! =)

#43 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:38 AM

Looks more like a level design / Game design class to me isn't it? 

In any case, I am sure it will benefit you and your game. I myself learn ALOT of great stuff during my level design diploma. 

(alpha section)

#44 BDMarvel

BDMarvel

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

I just tried this out. I like the graphic style and the controls seem interesting. It would take some practice to get good with them though. I really thing standard gamepad control rather than mouse control would be more fun, but as I said, I'm still getting the hang of the mouse controls. I didn't play for very long before an enemy killed me and the game crashed completely, so you probably want to fix that. :) While I was playing the 2 main things I wished were in the game were an adaptive resolution. I presume the squarish display is intended along with the limited color palette, but the letterboxing leaves a LOT of black space on a 16:9 monitor. It would be nice to use the full display. The other thing was the "use" item. I had no way of knowing how close I would have to be to interact with something, but since I didn't know whether I even could I would have to walk up to everything first. It would be nice if the cursor would change (maybe get an outline or something) when hovering over an object you can use or examine. I might try it out again another time after the crash is fixed.

gmc_sig.pngen_generic_rgb_wo_60.png

"There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn." - Samuel Johnson

#45 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

I might try it out again another time after the crash is fixed.

I'm glad you find this interesting, at the very least! 

Addressing a few things, the letter boxing will be sort of mandatory, all of the rooms and levels are designed around the viewing distance and shape.

Also, the game crashing upon death won't be fixed in the build you played. Everything in the demo has been scrapped, because the final product is intended to be open-world. I would appreciate if you finish it, but I understand the frustration the crashing might cause you. The new demo might come around soon enough, you may want to wait. I've made a vast number of improvements to the formula so far!

#46 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

I'll never understand people's dislike of letterboxing. It's basically the same thing as having a smaller TV. Some games play better in certain screen shapes!

I'm designing my game so that it scales up to fit generic 1080p displays, but I don't mind if other people don't. =)

Edited by HopelessComposer, 21 August 2015 - 12:57 AM.

#47 BDMarvel

BDMarvel

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:25 AM

I don't mind letterboxing if there's a reason. If it's an arbitrary decision, it's a bad one. And with a resolution even smaller than 4:3, nearly half the screen is empty. It's not like watching a smaller TV. It's like paying for a big-screen and only being able to watch the picture-in-picture window.
Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying this game shouldn't be letterboxed, just that from the limited amount I played I couldn't see a need for it.

Edited by BDMarvel, 21 August 2015 - 01:26 AM.

gmc_sig.pngen_generic_rgb_wo_60.png

"There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn." - Samuel Johnson

#48 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:33 AM

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying this game shouldn't be letterboxed, just that from the limited amount I played I couldn't see a need for it.

I'd guess he's designing all the rooms to be small squares, instead of wide rectangles, for the dungeons and stuff. You could argue he should just design all the dungeon rooms to be wider, but that's not what he's going for. I don't think every game on the planet should have to be 16:9 just because that's what the standard sized monitor is nowadays. Black and white movies still come out once in awhile, too. It's part of the aesthetic he's going for.

Top down games always felt weird in 16:9 to me, anyway. Why the hell can we see further East and West than North or South? My RPG is designed to be 16:9, since that's what everyone has now, but it still feels weird to me. A square aspect ratio makes more sense gameplay-wise than a 16:9 ratio when we're talking about top-down games, I think.

Whatever though, hahah. 99% of the people out there will of course prefer that the game isn't letterboxed, which is why mine isn't. I personally can't fault nick for going 4:3, though. It matches the game's GBC look, in my opinion. =)

#49 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:47 AM

His game is displayed in 4:3 screen ratio apparently, just like old games. He can choose to display it like that if only for the "retro". 

(alpha section)

#50 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

Phew, sparked a discussion!

Whether or not the game would be letterboxed never crossed my mind as a question in development, it just sort of happened naturally. 

You are right though, BDMarvel, that demo didn't need it, because the rooms were sort of thrown together, they didn't have a particular size or shape, but what I'm working with now, with rooms having defined sizes, the square view is required for the geography to make sense. The next time you play it, it should feel more natural.

(Also, if I ever plan to release on mobile devices, I have a control scheme in mind already, which would take advantage of the letterbox design. The black space leaves room for buttons on the left or right side of the tablet/device, so you don't have to obscure so much of the game screen.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop, retro, adventure, rpg, 2d