Sorry for the lack of updates, guys! Development is still going strong, but I decided I really need to slow down, and make the demo as great as possible. The previous demo was a bit rushed. Here are my responses.
It's a nice start. Gravedust's feedback had the same stuff i'd write about the evil health orbs and health bar. I spent some time running form the health too. The slappy hands are very nice, did you take it from a ps2 game? I dont remember its name now but i remember somthing like this... About the controls, i think its ok to play like this, gives a difficulty when you need to attack-turn repeat. One thing i didn like much is the green color of the game. It just seems too eye-burning bright. The 8 direction sprite that faces the cursor is also nice. Enemyes are too flower-like but i'm gessing its a placeholder sprite...
Health has been fixed, will be in new demo. The hands are original, to my knowledge. I've never seen them before, haha. They'll do more than clap in the final version. I'm glad you like the controls. I know opinion is divided, and it's hard to see now, I'm sure, but I plan to make it's use very justified. Moreso than Nintendo did with the DS Zelda games. I've got much better plans. Those are meant to be gears, or cogwheels. They were made for the prototype of this game, where it had a much different story, involving mechanical monsters. Perhaps we'll see them in this game?
You ever updating this demo, or what? I'm curious about what you've made. =P
Soon...ish? I'm hoping to have actual original music composed this time around, so it may be delayed further for that reason.
I would suggest to add more colors! Colors make the world more interesting. So much green.
This is something that I'm trying to work out as well, actually. Other areas in the game aren't so bland, but they also aren't ready to be seen. I'm looking for more ways to break up the scenery,
I tried your demo and I quite like it. I know its very early but let me tell you my first impressions:
- The game felt like it was crawling and was not really smooth. Have you thought about making it 60 fps?
- I love the NES style graphics. You seem to be good at that, continue in that direction because it definetely is having its charm.
- The controls aren't my style like AT ALL. Sorry about that lol. I would feel much more connected to the character if I was moving with a direction cross or joystick. With the mouse like I never quite feel I am entirely in control of my speed and I never fell I can move and stop at the exact moment I wish for. Basically, this type of control sort of is counter-immersive to me. Your controls would fit with me if it was more "A Link To The Past" really.
- I wish the demo was longer or showing other aspects of the game (if any are testable yet of course)
All in all, I can feel I want to follow the progress of this game. It could be really great in the end. I mean, there's really a bell ringing with me there.
A doozy here:
- Not sure how to make it 60fps. I'll look into that, actually.
- Thank you!
- Actually, the disconnect with the character in this way is almost intentional. While it may be good or bad in people's opinions, I like the idea that maybe you're leading this character around, not acting as them.
- The next demo may not be long, either, but my hopes are that it will be dense. If you're not sure what I mean, think about Half-Life, and how there was rarely a dull moment. That's what I aim for.
Thank you all for your interest! I may post screenshots here soon to show what I've been working on.