#1 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

http://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/109

In the last blog, I explained how I created the walls and doors of my dungeon, as well as how I added in some initial graphics to see how it all works together. The results were better than I could have hoped for, especially after I added in some optimisation, but having a nice looking dungeon isn't really much fun if the player can't see it properly, so in this weeks tech blog I'll be talking about the decisions I took for setting the view size and aspect ratio as well as the GUI layer.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

NICE DEVLOG, NOCTURNE!! D':<

...I'll give it a read later.

Edit: Yeeahhhh, it was alright. Last one was better, though. Going from random level generation to boring screen ratio problems kind of takes the wind out of this one's sails, in my opinion, hahah.

Edited by HopelessComposer, 28 March 2015 - 01:39 AM.

#3 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:55 AM

I'd have to disagree with above.

This is one of the single most important things that the amateur dev will almost always overlook.

This is probably more important than the game itself. If the game doesn't size up correctly and thing are stretched, squished, or missing from the view, you have just lost that player (most likely forever).

The general public are not very tolerant of display problems at all.

This is an extremely important article. :thumbsup:

#4 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:56 AM

Part 4? I was thinking it stopped as a trilogy. At least you didn't start with 4-6 then go with 1-3 and finally 7-9

#5 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:36 AM

I'd have to disagree with above.

This is one of the single most important things that the amateur dev will almost always overlook.

So my lack of interest in this one must prove I'm not an amateur developer then, right? :thumbsup:

I wasn't saying this one wasn't useful, but the last one made me go "ah, that's pretty neat." This one made me go "yeah...no kidding."

It's still well-written and helpful, obviously. =)

Edited by HopelessComposer, 28 March 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#6 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

The button sizes are based on the text size, and that's a 10px pixel font! Oh, dear... thankfully, GameMaker permits you to resize the GUI layer, and it was obvious to me that I was going to have to use this function to have the GUI at a higher resolution than the actual game view. Now, I know that a lot of people don't like this - pixel purists just hate seeing inconsistencies in pixel sizes! - but personally I don't care and feel that as long as the style is consistent, the actual pixel size matters less.

:wallbash:

#7 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

So my lack of interest in this one must prove I'm not an amateur developer then, right? :thumbsup:

I honestly couldnt say. I have never seen you code anything. :P

#8 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

The button sizes are based on the text size, and that's a 10px pixel font! Oh, dear... thankfully, GameMaker permits you to resize the GUI layer, and it was obvious to me that I was going to have to use this function to have the GUI at a higher resolution than the actual game view. Now, I know that a lot of people don't like this - pixel purists just hate seeing inconsistencies in pixel sizes! - but personally I don't care and feel that as long as the style is consistent, the actual pixel size matters less.

:wallbash:

LOL! I was actually thinking of you when I wrote that... ;) I still remember the scathing comments you left on my original Gauntlet clone when I first started making games with GM. Scarred me for life that did... 

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#9 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

Ah gee.  sorry about that.  I was a much angrier person back then living in a pretty bad place.  Can't believe it's been so long. :o

Your graphics certainly have improved since then especially in readibility.  The artwork in that Gauntlet game isn't so bad on it's own (like the sprites look fine when not on the background), it's just all together it just looked really cluttered and messy to my eyes.

Edited by Carnivac, 28 March 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

No need to apologise! It was actually very helpful in the long run, and I now view details in my game art with a much more critical eye largely thanks to that comment. It hurt at the time, but hey, sometimes a poke in the butt with a sharp stick is necessary to get off said butt and improve. :)

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#11 dkcas11

dkcas11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

Looking very good :) Nice to get a lot of your thoughts and ideas when you're going about a "problem" :)

icon114_ios-1.png    icon114_ios-2.png    icon114_ios.png

Fly Little Plane!                Swing Kites              Escaping Blocks

#12 pickers

pickers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:09 AM

I dont quite understand this custom script:

room_set_res(floor(120 * ratio), 120, floor(hh * ratio), hh);

Are they ...

view_xview

view_yview

view_wview

view_hview

respectively?

#13 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

No it's the view height and width, then the view port. I'll deal with the x/y position of the views "in-game" when I add the player. The custom script is essentially just a loop that goes through all the game rooms and sets the view sizes:

/// room_set_res(view_w, view_h, view_portw, view_porth);
// Set the view size n the rooms

var i = true;
var rm = room_next(room);

while (i)
{
room_set_view(rm, 0, true, 0, 0, argument0, argument1, 0, 0, argument2, argument3, 0, 0, -1, -1, -1);
room_set_view_enabled(rm, true);
if rm == room_last
    {
    i = false;
    }
else
    {
    rprev = rm;
    rm = room_next(rprev);
    }
}

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#14 pickers

pickers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

No it's the view height and width, then the view port. I'll deal with the x/y position of the views "in-game" when I add the player. The custom script is essentially just a loop that goes through all the game rooms and sets the view sizes:

You have set me in a new direction! :thanks: