7 replies to this topic

#1 GamerXP

GamerXP

GMC Member?

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

Hello there. I'm looking for some paid job now, so I decided to post my portfolio here.
I accept any programming related jobs: coding entire game, wrirting separate systems, implementing some existing stuff to your projects, etc. I'm fine with just consulting if you don't really need for everything to be written for you.

About me:
I got over 10 years of experience coding with GML, a bit less with other programming languages like Object Pascal, C++, C#, JS and some others. I'm searching for programming work, but since I was solo developing games before - I have some experience with drawing and general game design as well (especially with fighting games).

What I'm able to do:
1.I can freely work with almost all GM features. I don't have experience only with mobile phone stuff like ads since I don't even have a smartphone. Also, not really used networking yet, but I read some articles about it for learning purposes.
2. Started making shader when they first appeared in GM. I made a lot of neat stuff with them so far.
3.Got experience making DLLs for Game Maker.
4. I'm good at optimizing stuff.
5.Can give some advice about pixel art if you insists.

Stuff I done so far:
1. Animation system.
My most neat stuff. Game maker seriously lacks some good system for frame-based animations. You can't specify how much each frame should stay on the screen. That's why I made it. I rewrote it few times already, now it's Animation System Mark III already! If you even used MUGEN fighting engine - you will get how it basically works. Though, starting from version 3 - it now have something similiar to Unity's components system. You can add some additional stuff to your animations: collision boxes, sound playing events, point coordinates, text and number data, even subimages with parenting and depth ordering. I made special separate animation editor for this, that creates and modifies animations' GML files. Though, it's still in Beta state.

2. Platforming engine.
There are a lot of such on GMC, but mine is not pixel based. It's math based one. It's not lightning fast, but it can pretty easily handle around 50-100 characters on the screen without YYC.

3. State machine system.
Basically, lets you change object's behaviour based on the current state. Mostly used for fighting and platformer games though. I used as base Ace's state machine codes, but I mostly rewrote and improved it a lot.

4. Cut-scene and dialogue system
Made it for my own game. At first I used it only for dialogues, but now it supports a lot of features, such as choices, IF-coditions and a lot of other stuff. You can even play few scenes at the same time with it. Pretty neat.

5. Multi-room loading system
With this you can load multiple rooms at once. For example, you can load nearby location when you're near the border of the current room, and both rooms will be on the screen. It can also load subrooms, like interiors of bulding. Though, it's not some system that can be easily separated from my engine.

6. Pixel-based dynamic lighting
Looks neat, but needs some optimizations. For now it got properly working point lights, and a bit buggy directional lights. But main near stuff is not this, but advanced bloom. It's based on special textures, where you specify specular levels, bloom radius, self-lighting level and trasparency to the light (with last one you can make background lights to be visible through images). This system use MRT Shaders, that work on DirectX only though. I got some thoughs about optimizing it after YYG will fix bugs that gets in the way.

7. Shaders!
Made a lot of them so far:
- animated trees;
- super-neat 2D water shader with reflections, refractions and waves from when objects touch the water. With my lighting system it looks even better that you can imagine;
- did I mention shader-based lighting system before?
- palette-swap shader (newest version of this one was made by me)
- dithering shader. Was based on this PS tutorial. It does exactly same thing. Results are completely the same. I tried it for 3D models - looks pretty neat too;
- screen distortion shaders: shockwave, bend, blur, heat;

8. Cloth simulation DLL
Can't beat nVidia, but still... video

9. That stuff in mine signature

10. I bet there are some other stuff I forgot to mention

Some screens from mine WIP games:
Game 1 - 1
Game 1 - 2
Game 2
Deviant-Art Page 
Payment:
I prefer to be paid hourly or by result. Better discuss such stuff personally with PM, mail or Skype. 

Edited by GamerXP, 06 April 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#2 jaimitoes

jaimitoes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

Are you think the idea of creating a team and try to launch a project on Kickstarter? i think you are a talented programmer.

#3 GamerXP

GamerXP

GMC Member?

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

Well. That depends on the game and the team. If game looks interesting to me and there are enough people in the team to actually do it - then it may be good. Though, I'm not sure what to do about my living expenses in that case. I don't have spare money now at all, so I prefer not having gamle-like kickstarter. For now I'll mostly accept only normal paid jobs.

BTW. Is your project is that platformer in your signature? I'm not really experienced with making skeletal animations, but you should at least watch some great examples of how it should be made: Odin's Sphere, Oboro Muramasa, Dragon's Crown (Basically, Vanillaware Games).

#4 jaimitoes

jaimitoes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Those games are really  grandiose triple A proyects,really beatifull . Skeletal animations are not really complicated, is the same of traditional sprites but, with the advantage to intercept the bones. And infinite animations with the same texture.

Thanks for the sugestion! I´m preparing the real sprites animations for the next video (the currently animations are a remake of my firsts sprite´s assets).

And i understand you, i have the same problem with money, i need to pay my house every month so, i need to work in my current job, and the time is a big problem to make games.

Best lucks with your works.

Edited by jaimitoes, 26 March 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#5 Lindion45

Lindion45

Scared of the Ducks

• GMC Member
  • 1554 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

Great portfolio! Sounds like you've done some great stuff, though you should totally add some pictures because they soothe my lazy eyes against walls of text :D

UzQSAz6.pngXhTycnt.png

#6 GamerXP

GamerXP

GMC Member?

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

Yeah. I think I better do it. Also, just noticed only I can access screens I posted. Fixed. Will add some additional screens later I think.

#7 Lindion45

Lindion45

Scared of the Ducks

• GMC Member
  • 1554 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

By the way, you got a typo: wirting separate systems

UzQSAz6.pngXhTycnt.png

#8 GamerXP

GamerXP

GMC Member?

• GMC Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, thanks. I bet I got more typos to find there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gamemaker:studio, programming, gm8.1