Photo

The Life Ruby (News update! - Mar 28, 2016)

platformer adventure retro action

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

My mind really seperate one hand for movement and the other one for interactions -- just like with a controller.

...so you made "down" interact with people? X'D

Changing it so "tutorial" is the default option is a good idea, though. Most people probably do jam on enter like you said when they start a new GMC demo, hahah!

#52 ForeverLost

ForeverLost

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:39 AM

Amazing. I played it for about two minutes and I already want to quit working on my hunk of garbage game and just play this one all day. The sprites and animations are amazing, the controls seem perfect, collisions, backgrounds everything is just perfect in my opinion. Right off the bat I felt immersed in the world. I can tell that you know exactly what you're doing and where you want to go with every aspect. So those are my first impressions. I'll definitely be playing around with this a lot in the future.

#53 AntonHuckleberry

AntonHuckleberry

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

I've just played through this and I really like it! Unfortunately I got the error below whenever I paused:

FATAL ERROR in

action number 1
of  Step Event1
for object obj_Pause:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100840.AttackButton_pressed(100201, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_Pause_Step_1

Though I did enjoy playing through it, the music and graphics were nice and created an exploration sort of experience, I'd agree with some other comments that when sound effects are included that will really add to it, and I would prefer if all actions could be done through gamepad rather than switching back and forth for certain actions, though gamepad support and mapping is a great plus!

One other note, I ended up getting stuck after getting the high jump boots and heading to the top right in the temple looking place, I dropped down and reached a door I dont think I could open, and the ledge on the left was too high to jump back up, maybe add an extra platform there to get back out? 

#54 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

Amazing. I played it for about two minutes and I already want to quit working on my hunk of garbage game and just play this one all day. The sprites and animations are amazing, the controls seem perfect, collisions, backgrounds everything is just perfect in my opinion. Right off the bat I felt immersed in the world. I can tell that you know exactly what you're doing and where you want to go with every aspect. So those are my first impressions. I'll definitely be playing around with this a lot in the future.

Thanks alot. I didn't even know my game could please someone like this! lol. It quite early too. I'll be curious of what you think when this is a complete demo. 

Anyhow, I am happy that you like it because "success" for me means to simply make a gamer happy and entertain him/her. 

I've just played through this and I really like it! Unfortunately I got the error below whenever I paused:

FATAL ERROR in

action number 1
of  Step Event1
for object obj_Pause:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100840.AttackButton_pressed(100201, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_Pause_Step_1

Though I did enjoy playing through it, the music and graphics were nice and created an exploration sort of experience, I'd agree with some other comments that when sound effects are included that will really add to it, and I would prefer if all actions could be done through gamepad rather than switching back and forth for certain actions, though gamepad support and mapping is a great plus!

One other note, I ended up getting stuck after getting the high jump boots and heading to the top right in the temple looking place, I dropped down and reached a door I dont think I could open, and the ledge on the left was too high to jump back up, maybe add an extra platform there to get back out? 

Thanks for your feedback, this is always so useful! 

I am very curious about that error there. Did you change your controls by any chances? This shouldn't happen with default. I might have overlooked something important when making my key configuration option... 

For the end with the temple, its a boss that is going to be there.  Its true that for testing purposes I should maybe add some platform to get out of there but remember you can also activate the player's abilities (see "Cheats" in the opening post)

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#55 AntonHuckleberry

AntonHuckleberry

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

Ah yes, I did change the controls for my controller, I used 'button 10' for the pause button if that helps.

Ohh I see, that's fair enough then, and no problem, hope to see more soon!

#56 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

General update:

I am rethinking what section of the game should become the "official demo". I think the beginning of the game might not be the right choice.

With this said, I will continue to work on the game and also update it here but at some point the game might suddendly change!

I hope to have more opinions from you all in the meantime anyways.

Ah yes, I did change the controls for my controller, I used 'button 10' for the pause button if that helps.

Ohh I see, that's fair enough then, and no problem, hope to see more soon!

Sorry for the late answer buddy. I actually fixed that problem in the meantime so all is well. I will not update the game here for a little while though. I want to have a part of the Ezuma's Temple to be playable before landing a new demo.

Edited by RangerX, 03 June 2015 - 03:51 PM.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

(alpha section)

#57 Wolfie_Waffle

Wolfie_Waffle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

My thoughts on the game:

I liked it in general, but I had a few problems. Mostly I couldn't figure out what to do at the first part. At the controls screen, I think you should not have it fade until you press a certani button, because it disappeared before I could read it :P Thirdly, I think that the air decreases way too quickly, and should have a little more time for the sake of gameplay.

As for general suggestions, I think that the pixel art was pretty good, but could use a few important techniques to make it better.

1. Colors are not always "perfect", i.e., grass is not neon green and rocks are not completely desaturated gray. Try making the grass a bit less saturated, and maybe shift the hue a bit to get a more realistic color.

2. Hue shifting is a more complicated thing but It looks good when done right. It's hard to explain completely, but essentially it means that lighter colors aren't just the same thing but with a higher "lightness" value, but should change hue slightly as well. Try looking up "pixel art ramps" or "hue shift" to see what I'm talking about.

Overall though, I think you did good for the pixel art. The graphics aren't bad, but with some techniques I think they could be better. Pixel art is actually pretty complicated, and I'm not really an expert and don't pretend to be, but these are some strategies I've heard of that will hopefully help.

As a side note, I like the music :)

#58 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

My thoughts on the game:

I liked it in general, but I had a few problems. Mostly I couldn't figure out what to do at the first part. At the controls screen, I think you should not have it fade until you press a certani button, because it disappeared before I could read it :P Thirdly, I think that the air decreases way too quickly, and should have a little more time for the sake of gameplay.

As for general suggestions, I think that the pixel art was pretty good, but could use a few important techniques to make it better.

1. Colors are not always "perfect", i.e., grass is not neon green and rocks are not completely desaturated gray. Try making the grass a bit less saturated, and maybe shift the hue a bit to get a more realistic color.

2. Hue shifting is a more complicated thing but It looks good when done right. It's hard to explain completely, but essentially it means that lighter colors aren't just the same thing but with a higher "lightness" value, but should change hue slightly as well. Try looking up "pixel art ramps" or "hue shift" to see what I'm talking about.

Overall though, I think you did good for the pixel art. The graphics aren't bad, but with some techniques I think they could be better. Pixel art is actually pretty complicated, and I'm not really an expert and don't pretend to be, but these are some strategies I've heard of that will hopefully help.

As a side note, I like the music :)

Thanks for feedback. This is always precious because perspective lets you questions certain things from an angle you might not have thought much about. 

On the graphics side I am facing a problem really. Graphics are what steals the most time (at least for me). With this game I wanted to go really straighforward and simple because it already takes me much time to make this game in my opinion. While I could probably get more disciplined, I find very little time to make progress because, you know, life and responsabilities + this whole thing being a hobby. 

Anyhow, since I don't have time to make some great 16bit style pixel art, I thought that having something akind of Super Mario World, something I would call "early 16 bit graphics" in bright colors would end up the best bet between "good looking vs time it takes". Because after all, I didn't NES-like graphics either. So this whole thing is a matter of compromise and sometimes I question if I'm making the right stuff. One thing I know is that I can't make this project more complex or long to make than it is already. I might not have enough of 2016 to even finish it... 

Anyhow, my plans with graphics are the following: 

- First graphic pass (including base graphic + base decoration. Only the village and tutorial is currently in that state)

- Get feedback.

- Near the end of devellopment, polishing pass. (thought I could play with colors directly on the tilesets, adding animated tiles, more decoration, more details)

Oh and about the air time....   at first you can't stay much underwater because you'll find the "large lungs" power-up down the road ;)

(alpha section)

#59 Freedomcash

Freedomcash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

found one bug

When holding "K" and Pause at the same time

bug.png

I'm already attached to this game!

#60 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

found one bug

When holding "K" and Pause at the same time

bug.png

I'm already attached to this game!

Hmm, I am trying to reproduce and I am not crashing. (its an older version you have in this thread though). 

I tried holding down K and then press Pause.

I tried messing up pressing both same time, no crash either. 

Or was there other specific circumstances? What's your OS, which level where you in? Did you change the controls? 

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Its fixed now yay! 

Edited by RangerX, 11 August 2015 - 02:00 AM.

(alpha section)

#61 alexde5

alexde5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

Nice game, although I noticed a couple of things when touching certain objects and some other things

1. You drown too fast! what's up with that guy's lungs?...

2. Nice and smooth

3. Touching like an open-able door or something causes a small stop, then you move a couple pixels towards it, then completely stop

4. tutorial is nice

5. if the game abruptly ends, at least put a wall or a sign saying 'Demo ends here' or so.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Games are the pass time that we'd bother spending on a virtual object, instead of being outside.

Qq7C2G6.png

Want to try out some random game you've never heard of? here you go: http://gmc.yoyogames...50#entry4868973

#62 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:42 AM

Nice game, although I noticed a couple of things when touching certain objects and some other things

1. You drown too fast! what's up with that guy's lungs?...

2. Nice and smooth

3. Touching like an open-able door or something causes a small stop, then you move a couple pixels towards it, then completely stop

4. tutorial is nice

5. if the game abruptly ends, at least put a wall or a sign saying 'Demo ends here' or so.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Thank you for taking the time to play my little demo (getting more and more outdated by the day though). 

1- This guy is suffering for pulmonary fibrosis or something. lol   In all seriousness, there is a power up you will get later that is the "large lungs" and guess what it will let you do... 

2- Tks. Trying to actually get it more smooth since the game runs like poo-poo on certain toshiba laptops for some reasons. 

3- ?? I don't have this on my side or I don't exactly get what you mean. Lag when you activate the statue mechanism in the tutorial level? 

4- Tks, its pretty final actually. Have you talked with the computers? :P

5- Don't worry it will be there ;)

(alpha section)

#63 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:53 AM

Ok here's a bit of news.

In the last couple of months, I've been working on optimising this game because I am quite obsessed for it to run fine on most computers and older machines. Granted, my brother is having a computer that apparently doesn't like GameMaker Studio so I have that computer as my main target. And I know there are other computer, especially laptops, that have a hard time with this game.

Anyways, there's alot of new stuff in the new version so anybody can try it but I would LOVE if anyone that had slowdown with my game to try again and test those new versions. It would also be awesome if new people with a slow/old computer would also try this, I want this game to run as nickel as possible. 

So here's the new update! 

Normal Windows version 440shttp://www.mediafire...LRversT440s.exe

(should run better than the old one)

Windows YYC version (440yyc)http://www.mediafire...versT440yyc.exe

(this will hopefully run even better for everyone)

Changelog: 

-----------------------------------------------  TEST 440 --------------------------------------------------------

[Add] 30 fps mode (in for possible HTML5 version)
[Add] Game now compiled in YYC (should improve performance)
[Add] Wasp mob added
[Add] Readable stones now appear on the map with their own icon (once read)
[Add] Equiped weapon icon now in the hud
[Add] New decorations for the village and Ezuma's Grounds and title screen

[Mod] Titlescreen appear with the cursor over suggesting to play the Tutorial level
[Mod] Health gauge stays on screen when in "low health"
[Mod] Pearls total stat (per zone) is now automatic
[Mod] Secrets total stat (per zone) is now automatic
[Mod] Optimised collisions by having only 4 objects now
[Mod] Optimised water by having only 1 object now
[Mod] Most objects now deactivates by a "outside view" event
[Mod] Removed "clear background with window color" option
[Mod] Changed the default shader to a simple "passthrough" one
[Mod] Optimised the vines (they now deactivate off screen) and sprite behavior (now automatic)

[Fix] Crash when pressing "pause"
[Fix] Plate crashing when wrongly activated in the distance ('cause they don't deactivate anymore)
[Fix] Hero starting with no health when game is compiled by the YYC
[Fix] "global.LoadGame" not returning to 0 after a game loading is done when the game is compiled in YYC
[Fix] Darts hitting the player for a little window of time after they hit a collision
[Fix] Text Box not appearing when NPC was placed near an Auto-Text object
[Fix] Messing up the fade-in/fade-out by freaking out on the "enter" key
[Fix] Green Pearls and Hearts not stopping correctly when game is compiled in YYC
[Fix] Auto-Text object displaying keyboard info  instead of joystick info in certain cases

Edited by RangerX, 15 September 2015 - 04:20 PM.

(alpha section)

#64 alexde5

alexde5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:36 PM

Just tried out the new version, here's what I think:

1. Wasp enemy seems good and balanced, although when its IN THE AIR 20 TILES UP AND AWAY, I CANT SCORE A SHOT '-'

2. When I collide with the checkpoints, I completely stop moving (I guess this is a check?), then I can resume moving

3. Once again: LUNGS!!! they're extremely short...

4. and once again; reached the end of the map, and... just stuck there... or I missed something...

5. Tested out the cheats and used the wall slide mechanic, its nice, but I can't get out of it unless I jump or there's no more wall... please make it to where if you press the move key, if makes you get off the wall...

6. The expanded lungs version seems MUCH BETTER than the lung version WITHOUT GRABBING THE POWERUP/using cheat...

7. The visual additions to the game and readable stones seem nice.

But, I see the game has improved, so, keep up the good work!

Edited by alexde5, 15 September 2015 - 11:37 PM.

Games are the pass time that we'd bother spending on a virtual object, instead of being outside.

Qq7C2G6.png

Want to try out some random game you've never heard of? here you go: http://gmc.yoyogames...50#entry4868973

#65 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:29 AM

Just tried out the new version, here's what I think:

1. Wasp enemy seems good and balanced, although when its IN THE AIR 20 TILES UP AND AWAY, I CANT SCORE A SHOT '-'

2. When I collide with the checkpoints, I completely stop moving (I guess this is a check?), then I can resume moving

3. Once again: LUNGS!!! they're extremely short...

4. and once again; reached the end of the map, and... just stuck there... or I missed something...

5. Tested out the cheats and used the wall slide mechanic, its nice, but I can't get out of it unless I jump or there's no more wall... please make it to where if you press the move key, if makes you get off the wall...

6. The expanded lungs version seems MUCH BETTER than the lung version WITHOUT GRABBING THE POWERUP/using cheat...

7. The visual additions to the game and readable stones seem nice.

But, I see the game has improved, so, keep up the good work!

Thanks for your feedback once again. I did not add much to the game since the last version as you can see. I mostly corrected bugs and improved performance. 

Couple of notes: 

- You can get out of walling by pressing "down" or jumping with a direction. 

- At the end of the map there will be a boss + a demo end. (althought it might not even be the beginning of the game that I will keep as demo)

Questions for you... 

What's currently important for this update is the performance. Are you at 60fps or more all the time? If not, does that new version run better than the previous one? 

(alpha section)

#66 alexde5

alexde5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

Questions for you... 

What's currently important for this update is the performance. Are you at 60fps or more all the time? If not, does that new version run better than the previous one? 

On my computer, It runs smoothly as heck. I'm not really sure if this new version (performance wise) has improved. It's always been a perfect 60. :P

Qq7C2G6.png

#67 Four Bidden

Four Bidden

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Did u made the graphics? Because i like the graphics alot :D

Edited by Four Bidden, 18 September 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#68 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

Did u made the graphics? Because i like the graphics alot :D

Yes its all my graphics. You made my day with this comment because sometimes I really wonder if my little graphics there are appealing, that someone digs my style. Thanks again :)

(alpha section)

#69 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:06 AM

Ok here's a bit of news.
In the last couple of months, I've been working on optimising this game because I am quite obsessed for it to run fine on most computers and older machines. Granted, my brother is having a computer that apparently doesn't like GameMaker Studio so I have that computer as my main target. And I know there are other computer, especially laptops, that have a hard time with this game.

Anyways, there's alot of new stuff in the new version so anybody can try it but I would LOVE if anyone that had slowdown with my game to try again and test those new versions. It would also be awesome if new people with a slow/old computer would also try this, I want this game to run as nickel as possible. 

So here's the new update! 

Normal Windows version 440shttp://www.mediafire...LRversT440s.exe
(should run better than the old one)

Windows YYC version (440yyc)http://www.mediafire...versT440yyc.exe
(this will hopefully run even better for everyone)

Changelog: 

-----------------------------------------------  TEST 440 --------------------------------------------------------

[Add] 30 fps mode (in for possible HTML5 version)
[Add] Game now compiled in YYC (should improve performance)
[Add] Wasp mob added
[Add] Readable stones now appear on the map with their own icon (once read)
[Add] Equiped weapon icon now in the hud
[Add] New decorations for the village and Ezuma's Grounds and title screen

[Mod] Titlescreen appear with the cursor over suggesting to play the Tutorial level
[Mod] Health gauge stays on screen when in "low health"
[Mod] Pearls total stat (per zone) is now automatic
[Mod] Secrets total stat (per zone) is now automatic
[Mod] Optimised collisions by having only 4 objects now
[Mod] Optimised water by having only 1 object now
[Mod] Most objects now deactivates by a "outside view" event
[Mod] Removed "clear background with window color" option
[Mod] Changed the default shader to a simple "passthrough" one
[Mod] Optimised the vines (they now deactivate off screen) and sprite behavior (now automatic)

[Fix] Crash when pressing "pause"
[Fix] Plate crashing when wrongly activated in the distance ('cause they don't deactivate anymore)
[Fix] Hero starting with no health when game is compiled by the YYC
[Fix] "global.LoadGame" not returning to 0 after a game loading is done when the game is compiled in YYC
[Fix] Darts hitting the player for a little window of time after they hit a collision
[Fix] Text Box not appearing when NPC was placed near an Auto-Text object
[Fix] Messing up the fade-in/fade-out by freaking out on the "enter" key
[Fix] Green Pearls and Hearts not stopping correctly when game is compiled in YYC
[Fix] Auto-Text object displaying keyboard info  instead of joystick info in certain cases

Here's another download option. Use those ones if the executable alone crashes or doesn't run for whatever reason on your computer. Also, this is the version needed for XP users also. 

Versions with installer :

Normal Windows version 440s:  http://www.mediafire...ersT440inst.exe

Windows YYC version (440yyc):  http://www.mediafire...T440yycInst.exe

(alpha section)

#70 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

Bump.

I would really love if you guys would try which version is faster. I need your opinion in order to determine if I change compiler for the Yoyo Compiler.

Oh my side (good computer) it doesn't change a thing. However if for most of you its faster, I will totally adapt my game. I want this to run the best possible.

If it doesn't change anything for most people then I won't bother because else I have to recode the save system entirely here so...

(alpha section)

#71 Tomkowiak

Tomkowiak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

I played yyc version and working very good. Just started, because this is not my style game, but looks ok. 

You have to fix all tiles as I see. How to and why here http://docs.yoyogame...ning tiles.html

You can use right way with good prepared tiles or maybe some pixel perfect solution, can be faster, but I'm not sure better.

sCflU7N.png

#72 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

I played yyc version and working very good. Just started, because this is not my style game, but looks ok. 

You have to fix all tiles as I see. How to and why here http://docs.yoyogame...ning tiles.html

You can use right way with good prepared tiles or maybe some pixel perfect solution, can be faster, but I'm not sure better.

Thanks alot for testing! 

Actually I am surprised you get tiles problem. The game is supposed to resize correctly. You test is much more useful than you might think right now. 

Can you PM me the details of the computer you've been testing on? 

( OS version, motherboard name, graphic card model, amount of ram, etc )

(alpha section)

#73 Tomkowiak

Tomkowiak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:49 PM

pm send with screens :)

sCflU7N.png

#74 Zaxter5

Zaxter5

Sp!cy Drumst!ck

• GMC Member
  • 177 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

Well damn son, for a one man team this is pretty freakin impressive! I loved the retro graphics and the style of music. The swing time of the sword seemed perfect and ensured that spamming the attack button wouldn't just make you invincible, but vulnerable as f**k! Although, it seemed to disturbed the flow of the movement when you attacked, as you stop moving completely. I found this quite irritating actually, but I understand it all just adds the challenge. But wow, can those flowers take a pounding, holy guacamole! I undertstand that of course this is in alpha so everything is obviously going to be a bit unbalanced so i guess I can forgive you for that :P . But when I was attacking the flower I would be randomly damaged for some reason (I wasn't touching the flower and i don't believe I was getting shot by the little spores). The checkpoints seem a little uneeded I think. In a Mario style platformer where you can't go back they would fit fine, but in an RPG style game like this... I'm not so sure. This is just personal preference though, and I just found it odd that you could walk over a checkpoint multiple times to save  the game. I almost feel as though they should be a one time save only or even better, just let the player save when they want. When going into a save and selecting "Challenge Mode" I got this error:

of  Step Event1
for object obj_CmodeCursorL:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -5.JoystickPlugged(100318, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_CmodeCursorL_Step_1
############################################################################################

I do have an unofficial Xbox controller plugged in if that helps. On the topic of controls... I did play this game with a game pad and keyboard and I'd have to admit, the controls take a bit to get used to, espeially on the game pad. In the help section it just says "button 5, button 8, etc.." I realise that is how GameMaker receives the controller input, but maybe you could devise a way that translate the input into "B" and "Y" and what not. But eventually I figured it out, just took a little while :) . When using the dpad to move, I don't know if it was my gamepad or not, but it seemed to lag from when I pressed the button to when he moved by a little bit. I imagine this was just my controller, but if there is a way to use the joysticks instead of the gamepad, I would recommend you made those the primary movement controls for the gamepad.

The abilities were actually quite cool. All seemed needed (except maybe the larger lung capacity one, I am super unfit and even I can last longer than 3 seconds under water without a special ability) and a you are gonna have to work hard on drip feeding the player the abilities throughout the game so it makes them come back to previous levels and what not.

I take my hat off to you sir! So far this game is looking stunning with its cute lil' graphics and its simple yet sweet music. I will be ever waiting for the final release, and definetely check out every build you have to offer. May I suggest putting this on Game Jolt? Great site for indie developers and their upcoming games.

I wish you luck with the future of this game, and I hope it goes far!

-Zaxter 5

P.S. I ran this on a pretty constant 60 FPS on my 2009 Compaq sh*t box. The specs are below, but honestly to say the least it is a pretty crappy computer.

Processor - AMD E-350 1600MHz

RAM - DDR3 2GB 533 MHz

Graphics (intergrated) - AMD Radeon HD 6310, 384MBytes, 533MHz

Played with the .exe version.

Edited by Zaxter5, 13 November 2015 - 11:45 AM.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

-Albert Einstein

#75 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

Well damn son, for a one man team this is pretty freakin impressive! I loved the retro graphics and the style of music. The swing time of the sword seemed perfect and ensured that spamming the attack button wouldn't just make you invincible, but vulnerable as f**k! Although, it seemed to disturbed the flow of the movement when you attacked, as you stop moving completely. I found this quite irritating actually, but I understand it all just adds the challenge. But wow, can those flowers take a pounding, holy guacamole! I undertstand that of course this is in alpha so everything is obviously going to be a bit unbalanced so i guess I can forgive you for that :P . But when I was attacking the flower I would be randomly damaged for some reason (I wasn't touching the flower and i don't believe I was getting shot by the little spores). The checkpoints seem a little uneeded I think. In a Mario style platformer where you can't go back they would fit fine, but in an RPG style game like this... I'm not so sure. This is just personal preference though, and I just found it odd that you could walk over a checkpoint multiple times to save  the game. I almost feel as though they should be a one time save only or even better, just let the player save when they want. When going into a save and selecting "Challenge Mode" I got this error:

of  Step Event1
for object obj_CmodeCursorL:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get -5.JoystickPlugged(100318, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_CmodeCursorL_Step_1
############################################################################################

I do have an unofficial Xbox controller plugged in if that helps. On the topic of controls... I did play this game with a game pad and keyboard and I'd have to admit, the controls take a bit to get used to, espeially on the game pad. In the help section it just says "button 5, button 8, etc.." I realise that is how GameMaker receives the controller input, but maybe you could devise a way that translate the input into "B" and "Y" and what not. But eventually I figured it out, just took a little while :) . When using the dpad to move, I don't know if it was my gamepad or not, but it seemed to lag from when I pressed the button to when he moved by a little bit. I imagine this was just my controller, but if there is a way to use the joysticks instead of the gamepad, I would recommend you made those the primary movement controls for the gamepad.

The abilities were actually quite cool. All seemed needed (except maybe the larger lung capacity one, I am super unfit and even I can last longer than 3 seconds under water without a special ability) and a you are gonna have to work hard on drip feeding the player the abilities throughout the game so it makes them come back to previous levels and what not.

I take my hat off to you sir! So far this game is looking stunning with its cute lil' graphics and its simple yet sweet music. I will be ever waiting for the final release, and definetely check out every build you have to offer. May I suggest putting this on Game Jolt? Great site for indie developers and their upcoming games.

I wish you luck with the future of this game, and I hope it goes far!

-Zaxter 5

P.S. I ran this on a pretty constant 60 FPS on my 2009 Compaq sh*t box. The specs are below, but honestly to say the least it is a pretty crappy computer.

Processor - AMD E-350 1600MHz

RAM - DDR3 2GB 533 MHz

Graphics (intergrated) - AMD Radeon HD 6310, 384MBytes, 533MHz

Played with the .exe version.

Thanks for this amazing feedback. I'm glad you liked the game. If I can stop optimising it soon I will be able to walk towards final release lol. The fact you seem to be hit randomly by the flower is very interesting. I will need to test this special attention. I had a similar problem with the snail mob at some point and I could fix it, was just a messy coding on my part. I suppose this is something similar with the flower. Were you staying extremely near on the side and constantly slashing? There's a slight chance it could be a spore spawning almost in your direction (its a random afterall) and that you didn't really could see it before it touches your character. Anyhow, I'll investigate and if ever you have more details, drop me a line. 

Other comments: 

- Yes the game isn't balanced yet  :P

- The crash there is perfectly normal as the challenge mode is far from being ready to play. If you wonder what it is though, its a precision platformer mode with quick levels ala Super Meat Boy.

- Right now the help screen is a bit limited indeed but its hard to find a pleasing middle between giving all the info and staying simple and straightforward. I'd like the help to stay a one screen thing and right now, any controller that windows can detect will show up with button numbers. Starting to have tables with different characters for a bunch of different popular controllers would be quite a task and right now I priorise my dev time elsewhere to be honest. But we could say making it more explicite is in my "if time to do" list.

- Music is placeholder and I will decorate the levels more than that. 

- Am surprised at how the Lungs power-up are not well loved. Oddly enough, there are multiple huges games where the character can't go underwater much when the game begins and until they find a power up --- Legend of Zelda being a prime example. Maybe its the fact that I actually let you get underwater that makes it frustrating that you can't stay there for long? What do you think? Would you like it more if you could only stay on the surface first and get underwater indefinetely once you get the lungs? (I wouldn't like it, too "black or white" and uninteresting in my opinion but, you know... ) 

(alpha section)

#76 Zaxter5

Zaxter5

Sp!cy Drumst!ck

• GMC Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for this amazing feedback. I'm glad you liked the game. If I can stop optimising it soon I will be able to walk towards final release lol. The fact you seem to be hit randomly by the flower is very interesting. I will need to test this special attention. I had a similar problem with the snail mob at some point and I could fix it, was just a messy coding on my part. I suppose this is something similar with the flower. Were you staying extremely near on the side and constantly slashing? There's a slight chance it could be a spore spawning almost in your direction (its a random afterall) and that you didn't really could see it before it touches your character. Anyhow, I'll investigate and if ever you have more details, drop me a line. 

Other comments: 

- Yes the game isn't balanced yet   :P

- The crash there is perfectly normal as the challenge mode is far from being ready to play. If you wonder what it is though, its a precision platformer mode with quick levels ala Super Meat Boy.

- Right now the help screen is a bit limited indeed but its hard to find a pleasing middle between giving all the info and staying simple and straightforward. I'd like the help to stay a one screen thing and right now, any controller that windows can detect will show up with button numbers. Starting to have tables with different characters for a bunch of different popular controllers would be quite a task and right now I priorise my dev time elsewhere to be honest. But we could say making it more explicite is in my "if time to do" list.

- Music is placeholder and I will decorate the levels more than that. 

- Am surprised at how the Lungs power-up are not well loved. Oddly enough, there are multiple huges games where the character can't go underwater much when the game begins and until they find a power up --- Legend of Zelda being a prime example. Maybe its the fact that I actually let you get underwater that makes it frustrating that you can't stay there for long? What do you think? Would you like it more if you could only stay on the surface first and get underwater indefinetely once you get the lungs? (I wouldn't like it, too "black or white" and uninteresting in my opinion but, you know... ) 

Firstly, yes I was quite close to the flower and slashing, and it was most likely a spore that got me but definetely test it out yourself and see if you can find any evidence.

Honestly, with the lungs it is actually a great mechanic that does allow more playability and back tracking. But I think that people will find it odd that you can only hold 3 seconds worth of air at the start. From a gameplay point of view they are completely fine and I am sure some will have no quarrel with them. From a logical point of view it does seem a little silly, but hey, if people enjoyed it in Legend of Zelda then I am sure the same crowd will enjoy it here. Maybe you could let the player swim for a little bit longer at the start to allow them to only go a certain depth and only collect a few point thingos but also give them a look at what else is down there so that they come back later.

Edited by Zaxter5, 13 November 2015 - 10:57 PM.

-Albert Einstein

#77 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:29 PM

New Version (443) ! 

Download EXE version: http://www.mediafire...TLRversT443.exe

Download Installer version: http://www.mediafire...versT443ins.exe

I've finished a first pass of optimisation with game now. It should run fine on a very large majority of computers now and even the ones having trouble with the application surface. The game will adjust itself to your computer if its having a hard time keeping up with a framerate of 60. There are many other changes (mostly not cosmetic though) so you can read the changelog if you want to know in details. 

What you can test anyways: 

- Most important point is the auto-adjusting performance system (is the game staying in 60fps mode or not, is the game turning off the application surface)

- Menus and Options entirely functional.

- Tutorial level is finished for now. 

- New game (Adventure Mode), you can play through the 2 first zones of the game.

- Saving/Loading system

- Gamepad support

I would love love to know how the game runs for you. According the debug info displayed bottom left of the screen... 

Does the game stay in 60fps mode?

Does the game disable the application surface? (AppSurf = 1 means the application surface is on)

Changelog: 

Spoiler

Edited by RangerX, 14 November 2015 - 11:31 PM.

(alpha section)

#78 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:37 AM

Dude! I just love your artwork! and the game is amazing!........that's all I can say!

Great Work!

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

#79 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

Dude! I just love your artwork! and the game is amazing!........that's all I can say!

Great Work!

Well, I am glad that you like it! Alot of efforts is going into it and to make it a professionally polished experience in the end.

I am curious though, was it running good on your computer? always 60fps?

(alpha section)

#80 strangastudios

strangastudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

Great Work!

Well, I am glad that you like it! Alot of efforts is going into it and to make it a professionally polished experience in the end.
I am curious though, was it running good on your computer? always 60fps?

It seemed to run smoothly except for a few bumps but thats probably because my laptop is getting on with age

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

#81 alexde5

alexde5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:41 PM

The game is doing very well. But here's my opinion.

The wasp enemy seems a little annoying, but avoidable relatively easily.

Frame rate stays at its best :]

I'm not sure if I missed a version, but since when were there GIANT BLUE SHARK-FISH THINGS that insta-kill you!? or I simple had half HP. Besides the point.

Some jumps are annoying, like a save spot, then a small ledge that is next to impossible to reach, but with good timing.

The scaling option for fullscreen seems nice.

STILL! LUNGS!

Swimming is hard to do, but tolerable.

That's what I'd say about the most recent version of the game so far :]

Qq7C2G6.png

#82 omar_almighty

omar_almighty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:36 AM

Really digging the music! I like the art style, feels a lot like Cave Story. One thing that kind of bugged me was the underwater air system. I had trouble getting past that nudge with the fish because the air would run out right before i'd touch the surface. Other than that, the mechanics felt pretty solid!

sprite370.png

Try out my alpha here! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gmc.yoyogames...10#entry4904774

Check it out on Game Jolt!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://gamejolt.com/...pancakes/120634

Check out a FREE older project on the Play Store >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://play.google....ghostpoke&hl=en

Follow me on Twitter :) https://twitter.com/omar_almighty

#83 cardboardmoon

cardboardmoon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hey, I'm trying to play your game, but once I open it nothing happens. There are three instances of TLRvers443 in process explorer/task manager, and I can't kill them! However, this has happened with other games I've tried to run from here, so don't feel special yet... I was actually hoping you or anyone else here could shed some light as to why that's happening. Haven't played any GM community games yet. Tried restarting, disabling anti virus, windows firewall is already down. Clueless.

#84 Zaxter5

Zaxter5

Sp!cy Drumst!ck

• GMC Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

Hey, I'm trying to play your game, but once I open it nothing happens. There are three instances of TLRvers443 in process explorer/task manager, and I can't kill them! However, this has happened with other games I've tried to run from here, so don't feel special yet... I was actually hoping you or anyone else here could shed some light as to why that's happening. Haven't played any GM community games yet. Tried restarting, disabling anti virus, windows firewall is already down. Clueless.

Sounds like a problem with your pc... Might want to take this to the Q&A as this isn't really the place for help on solving problems with your pc.

-Good Luck and I hope it works out, Zaxter5

-Albert Einstein

#85 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:41 PM

Really digging the music! I like the art style, feels a lot like Cave Story. One thing that kind of bugged me was the underwater air system. I had trouble getting past that nudge with the fish because the air would run out right before i'd touch the surface. Other than that, the mechanics felt pretty solid!

You mean in the Tutorial level right? 

(alpha section)

#86 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

Sorry I forgot to answer you. Have you tried both the EXE version and the version with an installer? Maybe it would work if you take the installer version?

(alpha section)

#87 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Ok I did not received  an answer from you but I went ahead with some change in the game:

1- Air gauge lasts for almost double the time than initially when you don't have the lungs.

2- Made the water crossing part easier in the tutorial level.

(alpha section)

#88 cardboardmoon

cardboardmoon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

It was my PC, of course :) I got around the issue by running the exes as admin. I hate having to do that though, and don't know why it needs to be part of my routine. Meh. I'll get over it. Anyway, the game art is SUPER nice and it feels nice control wise. I feel like I was supposed to be able to talk to people, and I'm sure I just couldn't find that control on this page. I just wish I could've pulled up a help menu with controls and maybe a tip on what to do (in case the player doesn't want to look back at your post for that info). Sorry if I'm so late on the replying game that this stuff has already been added - I honestly couldn't play around much with it yet, holidays are busydays. But rest assured I will play it a second time, for a longer amount of time.

#89 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:54 AM

It was my PC, of course :) I got around the issue by running the exes as admin. I hate having to do that though, and don't know why it needs to be part of my routine. Meh. I'll get over it. Anyway, the game art is SUPER nice and it feels nice control wise. I feel like I was supposed to be able to talk to people, and I'm sure I just couldn't find that control on this page. I just wish I could've pulled up a help menu with controls and maybe a tip on what to do (in case the player doesn't want to look back at your post for that info). Sorry if I'm so late on the replying game that this stuff has already been added - I honestly couldn't play around much with it yet, holidays are busydays. But rest assured I will play it a second time, for a longer amount of time.

Ok thanks. I hope its an issue with your PC. Having to run it as admit sounds like a compatibility issue between GMS and your PC. Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you like the project and I have been working quite actively on it lately. I am preparing a more major update. 

However I am a bit deceived you didn't find the menus. I don't want to spoon feed the player to much so its hard to strike the perfect balance. When you start the game, in the titlescreen you see that you can press H for HelpScreen. This works at all time. You can also see that in the key configuration page in both the title screen's options menu or the in-game options menu. 

H key (at all time) = brings up the help menu

G key = brings up game stats menu

P key = Pauses the game and brings up the option menu, in which you can access the key configuration menu amongst other things. 

(alpha section)

#90 JealousOfCrows

JealousOfCrows

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:56 AM

Hey there RangerX, nice work so far. However, I have a few gripes just from the playing the game for about 10 mins or so. I am also writing this as I play the game.

1. the game had some video tearing, really quite strange I took a video on my cell phone and can send it to you if you want. It occurred multiple times, but happened immediately when i spoke with one of the villagers and again at random parts (seems to happen periodically no matter where I am now). It may be my laptops resolution which is 1600x900. I do not have any idea as to what is causing this.

2. Those strange portals you spawn from when you die cause sudden movement changes. This is quite jarring and I feel like i almost got stuck in one of them by trying to jump and land directly in the corner, might want to alter the functionality of those.

3. Attacking walls. I dunno why but you prevent the player from attacking when they are near walls and sometime when you do attack you get pushed back bit it seems to be only when you  are moving and attacking in the same direction.

4. One of the platforms I assume is supposed to go up and down (it has the lines indicating so) near one of the yurees (after the waterfall and shark) isn't working and when my character is on the platform it is constantly shaking.

5. I just recently landed on one of those wooden platforms on one of the walls and was teleported above it above on the nearest open ledge.

6. Wall slide code. When you are attached to the wall you should be able to leave the wall attachment state merely by holding the opposite direction movement key. Make a timed buffer so the player needs to hold the opposite direction for a second or two before leaving because of now its tough.

Those are some of the main issues I had. Apart from those I think the friction of the player movement is a little too soft, try jumping and landing on a platform and letting go of your movement and you will notice that you slide almost as if on ice. Also the music, in my opinion, should be even more retro style 8 bit sounding. I think it would fit the game more.

Many platformers suffer from this one, and alot of them are still great but no reward for killing enemies means I am running right on by. It is one of my personal gripes with alot of games but I mean I dont really get rewarded for killing them so why should I?

But what would good is all this criticism without some compliments eh? I enjoy much of the pixel art, specifically the main character, I know it is a lot of work (hopefully someday this year you can judge my demo game LOL) but artwork and special effects go a long way so I would recommend dabbling with particles! I really love the parachute animation; it is quite sleek. The game did seem a little difficult though, as some other people have pointed out, and I never did figure out how to get very far but I toyed with the mechanics enough to give some feedback. Hope it helps. Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything mentioned above. I would be happy to. Good job!

#91 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

1. the game had some video tearing, really quite strange I took a video on my cell phone and can send it to you if you want. It occurred multiple times, but happened immediately when i spoke with one of the villagers and again at random parts (seems to happen periodically no matter where I am now). It may be my laptops resolution which is 1600x900. I do not have any idea as to what is causing this.

2. Those strange portals you spawn from when you die cause sudden movement changes. This is quite jarring and I feel like i almost got stuck in one of them by trying to jump and land directly in the corner, might want to alter the functionality of those.

3. Attacking walls. I dunno why but you prevent the player from attacking when they are near walls and sometime when you do attack you get pushed back bit it seems to be only when you  are moving and attacking in the same direction.

4. One of the platforms I assume is supposed to go up and down (it has the lines indicating so) near one of the yurees (after the waterfall and shark) isn't working and when my character is on the platform it is constantly shaking.

5. I just recently landed on one of those wooden platforms on one of the walls and was teleported above it above on the nearest open ledge.

6. Wall slide code. When you are attached to the wall you should be able to leave the wall attachment state merely by holding the opposite direction movement key. Make a timed buffer so the player needs to hold the opposite direction for a second or two before leaving because of now its tough.

Those are some of the main issues I had. Apart from those I think the friction of the player movement is a little too soft, try jumping and landing on a platform and letting go of your movement and you will notice that you slide almost as if on ice. Also the music, in my opinion, should be even more retro style 8 bit sounding. I think it would fit the game more.

Many platformers suffer from this one, and alot of them are still great but no reward for killing enemies means I am running right on by. It is one of my personal gripes with alot of games but I mean I dont really get rewarded for killing them so why should I?

But what would good is all this criticism without some compliments eh? I enjoy much of the pixel art, specifically the main character, I know it is a lot of work (hopefully someday this year you can judge my demo game LOL) but artwork and special effects go a long way so I would recommend dabbling with particles! I really love the parachute animation; it is quite sleek. The game did seem a little difficult though, as some other people have pointed out, and I never did figure out how to get very far but I toyed with the mechanics enough to give some feedback. Hope it helps. Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything mentioned above. I would be happy to. Good job!

Tks alot for this detailed feedback. Its actually very helpful. First off, I am not able to reproduce the 2 issues in red. Does the platform thing happens all the time? All platforms are the same object that is set almost the same. Hard to tell what fails on that particular one. Any other vertical moving platform having that same issue?  As for issue 5, I thought that was fixed. Is it hard to reproduce in your experience? 

Other comments: 

- I'd love to get your video about the tearing issue. V-sync is supposed to be "on" at all times in that version. 

- Issue 2 -- I did remove the collision with the save portals due to similar issues.
- Issue 3 -- This is actually a fix. People were able to actually climb my walls with attacking. When you attack "in" a wall now the attack is cancelled. Not 100% elegant for a solution but so far it the best it will be. Might baby oil this later.

- Issue 6 is a design decision. Not saying it will necessarily don't change but its to make the walljump almost unmissable. You can leave the wall anytime by pressing Down. 

- I shall have one last coating of beautiful near the end of the project. If the game runs easily on typewriters I will have some juice to pump up the particles ;)

tks again for this amazing feedback. Don't hesitate to contact me when you have a demo of your game ready to test. 

(alpha section)

#92 iMilchshake

iMilchshake

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

Cant launch your game :(

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Room_GameSetting_Create

ad2e5cf943724799dd60d3970d49be19.jpg

#93 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

Thank you. Yeah this happens on certain computers and I fixed that already. 

New version coming with February!  :)

(alpha section)

#94 iMilchshake

iMilchshake

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

Thank you. Yeah this happens on certain computers and I fixed that already. 

New version coming with February!   :)

Okay mate! :3

Gonna test it in February then ^^.

Tobi!

ad2e5cf943724799dd60d3970d49be19.jpg

#95 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:52 AM

Ok its been quite a while I did not upload any version or gave any news. So here's a little heads up! 

- Game is still actively worked on. 

- Just finished a new coating of beautiful on the graphics (bunch of screenshots down there!) 

- Most coding is done (except mobs for other zones) so I am entering a big level design phase. 

- I am wondering if I should pull off the first world of the challenge mode or wait for the Metroidvania mode to be done ? ? ? 

- I feel like eating pizza but I don't have any. Oh well. 

- New version will come soon this month with an intro cut-scene and a boss! 

New screenshots! (version 444) 

Title screen and key congifuration menu

Spoiler

- Intro cut-scene

Spoiler

- Ezuma's Village and HUD

Spoiler

- Ezuma's Grounds

Spoiler

- Tutorial Level and Map

Spoiler

Edited by RangerX, 02 February 2016 - 08:07 AM.

(alpha section)

#96 Neon Jackal

Neon Jackal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

Looking good, man.

#97 teslatronik

teslatronik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

Going to download this right now and test it out :)

#98 ForgePlays

ForgePlays

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

Playing now, I'll leave a review here : 

Okay first off, the games detail is amazing, secondly the graphics are great! And thirdly screw them flowers and bats.... They keep killing me, a bit confusing at first on what everything does but you get the hang of it but I found a few bugs, the game in fullscreen would keep flashing (idk why or what) and if I turned off fullscreen the game view/the game its self would be off the screen, but tell me when you update the game! -keep up the good work too. 

Christopher

#99 Leeroy

Leeroy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

I played some, and it's nice.  I stopped because I somehow got lost after I found the map, but hopefully that isn't a problem for most people.

Here's a list of things that bothered me slightly but might not need to be addressed.  I don't know how to fix most of them, I don't know if it's possible to fix all of them, and I don't know if anyone other than me would care if you did.

Spoiler

Overall, though, there's a lot to like.  The inclusion of key configuration stands out a lot, I really like it when games have that. The graphics are better than most games you'll find on here, and the music is pretty nice (although I did turn it off after it looped a couple times). I'll be sure to play it properly when it's finished.  You've done an exceptional job so far.

~Siggy

#100 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

Playing now, I'll leave a review here : 

Okay first off, the games detail is amazing, secondly the graphics are great! And thirdly screw them flowers and bats.... They keep killing me, a bit confusing at first on what everything does but you get the hang of it but I found a few bugs, the game in fullscreen would keep flashing (idk why or what) and if I turned off fullscreen the game view/the game its self would be off the screen, but tell me when you update the game! -keep up the good work too. 

In the lastest version posted here, there was some inconsistencies in my code for mobs damaging the player and vice-versa. This made the bat and especially the flower a pain in the butt to hit without getting hit. This will be fixed in the next version I will publish here. In the next version I also ajusted alot of stuff and added options in the scaling department so I would hope your flashing issues will be gone. I hope you will be able to try again because your issue there is worrying. I never encountered it. :(

I played some, and it's nice.  I stopped because I somehow got lost after I found the map, but hopefully that isn't a problem for most people.

Here's a list of things that bothered me slightly but might not need to be addressed.  I don't know how to fix most of them, I don't know if it's possible to fix all of them, and I don't know if anyone other than me would care if you did.

Spoiler

Overall, though, there's a lot to like.  The inclusion of key configuration stands out a lot, I really like it when games have that. The graphics are better than most games you'll find on here, and the music is pretty nice (although I did turn it off after it looped a couple times). I'll be sure to play it properly when it's finished.  You've done an exceptional job so far.

1- Thanks for pointing out. All the text in the game so far has not passed into a correction phase so syntax, words and typos can possibly be all over the place even if my english is pretty good. At some point those things will obviously get fixed. 

2- They aren't friendly and looking for trouble  lol.   (I fixed some stuff regarding damage lately, there were some errors with the darts so some cheap hits were possible --- not anymore)

3- While my layouts are simple, its part of the Metroidvania experience I guess. When the maps will not be place holders anymore it will definetely help though. Generally speaking, you will want to reach the "points of interest" in the map. 

4- Movement is supposed to working fine and "as designed" here. I doubt you will like the feel of the character 100%. However, have you tried the character with its whole set of powers (using cheats) ? 

5- Yeah right now I block the attack. The way my collisions are thought out, people could exploit them attacking walls and also, I don't think the player will ever need to attack a wall so I see this as a very minor issue for now.

6- For a example of what I would consider more like a "finished map", try the one in the tutorial level. The Ezuma's Grounds and Ezuma's Village maps are placeholders for now. 

7- I am very interested in knowing where that is. Just in case I overlooked something. Can you send a picture of where that is or something? (I suspect its the entrance of the Aqueducs that I hadn't blocked properly in the lastest version I did put here) 

8- In the next version I "officialised" the debug screen (sort of like Minecraft). It changed and you will be able to turn it on/off with F3

9- The game will appear letterboxed at certain sizes for it to always be "pixel perfect" on screen. The next version will have an advanced options menu where you change/set the scale and not only play "fullscreen or not" like I think the version here was doing.

10- To a certain extent it will be. But at the same time, this is platformer and it will have more story and lore than most of them out there. I just think its not something that is important with this type of game. You need a "simple goal" like story to get things going but after that, the game is not sustained/fuelled by a story. I avoided cheap stories like the princess rescue at least  lol. There is a rescue in the game but the twists and turns along the way will be more original than Mario-like games. In any case, watch for the new cut-scene system that will appear in the next version. I also made the intro cut-scene to the game so it will shed a bit more light on what's going on in Ezuma's Grounds.   :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, I hope you guys play the next version I will publish as it will be an update implementing quite a few new things and fixing ALOT of stuff. I don't exactly know when I'll be able to push it out though. I thought before the end of March but I am not sure anymore. I keep finding things to fix (just discovered the game messes up quite bad when alt+tab. Something I forgot all along and that I am fixing right now) 

Edited by RangerX, 16 March 2016 - 08:13 PM.

(alpha section)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platformer, adventure, retro, action