Photo

The Life Ruby (News update! - Mar 28, 2016)

platformer adventure retro action

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

o%2BoB9O.png

Genre: "Metroidvania" / "Skills platformer"

Platform: Vista / Win7 / Win8

Milestone: Pre-Alpha

Version: 443

Expected Release: Hopefully before 2017 lol

Download EXE version: http://www.mediafire...TLRversT443.exe

Download Installer version: http://www.mediafire...versT443ins.exe

Final Features: 

- Metroidvania platformer (Super Metroid / Castlevania Symphony of the night).

- Challenge mode that plays like a "Skills platformer" (Super Meat Boy, League of Evil).

- Multiple power ups to upgrade your abilities.

- "Early 16-bits" retro style graphics.

-  8 explorable worlds/zones.

- Bosses, secrets, no useless hand holding gameplay.

- Fexible options for your convenience

(key configuration, scaling modes and sizes, play windowed or fullscreen, sound test, etc)

What is "The Life Ruby"? 

Spoiler

What's the current state of the game? (what's testable)

Spoiler

What am I expecting from here? (you!)

- Hopefully having some fun and being honest with your impressions. 

- Giving me opinions on the feel of the character and its different abilities.

- What do you like best / What do you like less

- Suggestions? Comments? Wanna participate more closely in the game's making?

- Report any important bug you find with a clear description as to "how to reproduce it".

- And that's already MUCH ENOUGH. :)

And remember there's no sound yet. This is like half the ambience of the game that is not there yet! 

Road To Alpha Milestone: 

Spoiler

Changelog so far:

Spoiler

Screenshots version "444":

Spoiler

Cheats!! 

Spoiler

Edited by RangerX, 28 March 2016 - 01:31 PM.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#2 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:43 AM

Just uploaded version TEST41b. 

I had found there was some very annoying crashes in the TEST41.  

Sorry about that. If you had downloaded it already you might want to redownload.

Edited by RangerX, 22 March 2015 - 03:43 AM.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

(alpha section)

#3 CatonMushroom

CatonMushroom

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

took a closer look at your game and as my first glips it look and controls smooth and solid, good work on the engine.

did try the tutorial some as adventure mode didn't made sense(not knowing the controls jumped in to early I suppose)

but the tutorial cleared that up. graphics are amazing, the water splash looks amazing.

concept is nice and keeps an opening for other elements.

menu's and whole project looks solid! and amazing.

no crashes so far but its the weekend to get into it more deeply for me.

in all, amazing and lots of affort put into it. good job!

#4 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

took a closer look at your game and as my first glips it look and controls smooth and solid, good work on the engine.

did try the tutorial some as adventure mode didn't made sense(not knowing the controls jumped in to early I suppose)

but the tutorial cleared that up. graphics are amazing, the water splash looks amazing.

Curiosity about your experience... 

Do you prefer integrated tutorials like modern games (which personally annoy me) or you prefer seperated tutorials like in my game?

Also, have you noticed the controls at the beginning (splash screen) and the "Press H for controls" at the bottom of the screen or those are futile attempts on my part to make someone realise what the controls are? 

(alpha section)

#5 Artraxus

Artraxus

GMC Member

• 9 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

I just played your game. It is very well executed. Great look and feel. From what I have played I would say your game really needs some more sound. Some jump sounds, a sound for when you swing your sword. I like the visual effect you have with the enemy deaths but again they really could use some sound effects when they are moving around as well as when they die. Good job on the water splashes. They look great but again we come back to sound, or a lack of it.  You could also use some sounds for when the player gets hit or has low life or low air. That reminds me... the air supply for the player seems a bit brief. As far as the basic foundation of the game you seem to really have your bases covered. I felt like I was playing an old NES title. I would like to see more as it get closer to completion. It is difficult to say something is missing or wrong when it is incomplete to begin with. Though this seems to be more complete than some of the others that I have seen out there so far. Cheers! Keep up the good work.

Edited by Artraxus, 24 March 2015 - 10:11 PM.

Please check out my alpha project RECLAIMER.... http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=658634

#6 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

I just played your game. It is very well executed. Great look and feel. From what I have played I would say your game really needs some more sound. Some jump sounds, a sound for when you swing your sword. I like the visual effect you have with the enemy deaths but again they really could use some sound effects when they are moving around as well as when they die. Good job on the water splashes. They look great but again we come back to sound, or a lack of it.  You could also use some sounds for when the player gets hit or has low life or low air. That reminds me... the air supply for the player seems a bit brief. As far as the basic foundation of the game you seem to really have your bases covered. I felt like I was playing an old NES title. I would like to see more as it get closer to completion. It is difficult to say something is missing or wrong when it is incomplete to begin with. Though this seems to be more complete than some of the others that I have seen out there so far. Cheers! Keep up the good work.

Thanks for your feedback :) 

For the sound, don't worry about it, the sound is not there yet. Its one of my next big steps in the development. 

(alpha section)

#7 CatonMushroom

CatonMushroom

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:15 AM

Curiosity about your experience... 

Do you prefer integrated tutorials like modern games (which personally annoy me) or you prefer seperated tutorials like in my game?

Also, have you noticed the controls at the beginning (splash screen) and the "Press H for controls" at the bottom of the screen or those are futile attempts on my part to make someone realise what the controls are? 

tutorial work good as it is. so you don't need to get through them every new play. I did notice the text about the controls but am suborn and try first.

#8 DiamondPhoenix

DiamondPhoenix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:58 AM

This looks like a good game!

But exploration games isn't my thing.

I still played the game for a bit, but i couldn't figure out what to do after i got the high jump in the level. (not the tutorial)

I'm bad at most of these games.

Also, i'm not sure if this kind of wall-jump is a bug, because i do see that in changelog, but slashing a wall with your knife and jumping right after will make you jump again. When slashing a wall, sometimes, instead of being pushed, you stop in mid-air. That's when you can jump.

When walking of ledges, you have a small amount of time to jump while in the air.

When i closed the game, an error showed up: "Runtime Error 216 at 00405FE2".

When i put the game screen on non-fullscreen mode, when i die or change screens, it keeps putting me back to full screen.

Games in progress:
Plunk (Videoway) Not cancelled
Tac-O-Tac, a 2 player game. Done!
Rolling Bob's Puzzle Game (made from scratch) In progress.
Some Random Impossible Game (Demo) A Super Frustrating game!

#9 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

This looks like a good game!

But exploration games isn't my thing.

I still played the game for a bit, but i couldn't figure out what to do after i got the high jump in the level. (not the tutorial)

I'm bad at most of these games.

Also, i'm not sure if this kind of wall-jump is a bug, because i do see that in changelog, but slashing a wall with your knife and jumping right after will make you jump again. When slashing a wall, sometimes, instead of being pushed, you stop in mid-air. That's when you can jump.

When walking of ledges, you have a small amount of time to jump while in the air.

When i closed the game, an error showed up: "Runtime Error 216 at 00405FE2".

When i put the game screen on non-fullscreen mode, when i die or change screens, it keeps putting me back to full screen.

Wow thanks. Those are good catch! 

- Slashing + jumping on walls:  I thought I did fix that already but apparently I did not (or it came back). That's an awesome bug. Looks like am gonna check if there's space before the character before slashing. That will solve the issue or any similar ones.

- Jumping after walking off ledges: This is actually a feature, I made the jump quite forgiving (ala Donkey Kong Country). Nice observation on your part nonetheless! 

- Runtime crash  --- I can't reproduce it :( 

- Fullscreen vs Windowed bug: Here again, good catch. I did not notice that certain rooms were setting the window so.... yeah. That's what caused the issue :P

(alpha section)

#10 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

New Version uploaded! 

- Fixed trampolines, now you benefit from the full jump on them.

- Fixed character getting stuck in vertical platforms.

- Fixed jumping + slashing on a wall that made the player climb without the glove

Sorry, didn't think the demo had those major problems :( 

(alpha section)

#11 14thLord

14thLord

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

Feels like it could be cave story 2. Ended up getting stuck in a area that I don't think I should have but pretty fun and interesting game.

Those bats though... they will be the bane of my existence.

Edited by 14thLord, 30 March 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#12 aamatniekss

aamatniekss

The Caveman

• GMC Member
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

Ok, I gave it a shot!

It's a nice start, though still needs a lot of work. I didn't get far, because I got frustrated a little bit at the part where those fishes started showing up.

The art is nice, though I don't particularly like the main characters design, seems too 'generic' and is in no way memorable.

The controller support is nice, but it's weird that I still have to use ESC and Enter, for some actions.

The level design is well, ok. A lot of parts though, seem to be based too much on jumping just at the very last possible milisecond. You should give the player a little bit more space for those jumps. Also the 3rd, or something like that, trampoline jump was a bit painful because you needed to do it exactly at the one right time, too.(im talking about the one where you have to jump on the vertical moving platform)

The enemy design is cool, I liked the snails, makes you think a little on how to approach it. But I feel that it takes too much hits to kill the enemies, but if it's a metroidvania you will probably get some damage increases, so that's fine. The bats were positioned in some weird places, where they were too big of a pain in the butt(the trampoline parts). Also sometimes the bats took 2 hits, sometimes 3 and sometimes even 4 hits, could be a glitch(im assuming you're doing instance_changing there, or something like that).

Well that's basically it! As I already said it's a nice start!

There was a Caveman - Out on Steam!     Bacon Rebellion - Greenlit on Steam!
           ThiYB99.gif                                 1ZHNWVC.gif
                                                  Twitter - @Namatnieks

#13 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

The enemy design is cool, I liked the snails, makes you think a little on how to approach it. But I feel that it takes too much hits to kill the enemies, but if it's a metroidvania you will probably get some damage increases, so that's fine. The bats were positioned in some weird places, where they were too big of a pain in the butt(the trampoline parts). Also sometimes the bats took 2 hits, sometimes 3 and sometimes even 4 hits, could be a glitch(im assuming you're doing instance_changing there, or something like that).

Well that's basically it! As I already said it's a nice start!

Thanks for your feedback. Greatly appreciated. 

Did you download the lastest version though? The jump was broken on the trampolines, amongst other things. Make sure you have the TLRvers41c.exe

For the mobs, you're not the first person that tells me it takes an undetermined number of hits to kill the bats. I can't reproduce that problem on my side so I have a question for you. Is it possible you tried to slash the bats when they were flashing red? (hurting)

Because my mobs are invisible when hurting, just like the player. Maybe that leads to some confusion? 

(alpha section)

#14 aamatniekss

aamatniekss

The Caveman

• GMC Member
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Greatly appreciated. 
Did you download the lastest version though? The jump was broken on the trampolines, amongst other things. Make sure you have the TLRvers41c.exe

For the mobs, you're not the first person that tells me it takes an undetermined number of hits to kill the bats. I can't reproduce that problem on my side so I have a question for you. Is it possible you tried to slash the bats when they were flashing red? (hurting)
Because my mobs are invisible when hurting, just like the player. Maybe that leads to some confusion?

Yep, it's the latest version. The trampolines worked good, but the place where you had to jump on a vertical moving platform from a trampoline sucked, you have to wait for the exact time to jump on the trampoline. 4 out of 5 times I failed. :D

Nah, it's not when they're flashing red or when they're hurt. It just randomly happens like that, can't figure out why. Also the snail died from 2-3 hits, too.

Edited by aamatniekss, 30 March 2015 - 02:42 PM.

There was a Caveman - Out on Steam!     Bacon Rebellion - Greenlit on Steam!
           ThiYB99.gif                                 1ZHNWVC.gif
                                                  Twitter - @Namatnieks

#15 Gravedust

Gravedust

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:30 AM

Played for I think about an hour and a half, writing my impression here as I went. Evenutally stopped so I could conclude my review, and because I could not figure out where to go next after finding the Map, Boots and teleporter in the first stage. If I had known where to go I would have played longer. It's a fun game, though a little frustrating and I did die quite a lot.

Anyway, overall, I like it! It's quite well done from what I can see, and has a lot of little details that show love for the project. :) I especially like the effects on the destructible items, and the NPC dialog is a nice touch. I also like they way you set up your story info with the opening dialog boxes. Movement felt solid and animations looked pretty good. :) I thought the scrolling backgrounds were a nice touch as well.

I played with an xbox controller, which worked just fine in general, however I did notice that while you are able to change menu options using the controller, you still have to reach for the keyboard to activate the selection, whis is a bit awkward. Some button on the controller (start or A, etc.) that activates menu choices would be appreciated. Same thing goes for the pause menu and probably a few other places.

I like the dynamic, disappearing HUD, however I feel like when a player is at low health you might want to keep the health display up continuously to remind them. A few times I was suprised by a 1-hit kill since I had no idea my health was so low.

Also, I've been hit by those plant things when I was almost certain I shouldn't have been. Not the things they spit, it appeared to be a colission with the plant itself. This happened a couple of times and may be a hitbox problem...?

As another reviewer posted, a lot of the jumps at the beginning are very tight. I did find this a little annoying as well, but I can understand if that's the intent of your design, especially since you are citing Super Meat Boy as an influence. If your intent is to make a challenging game for platformer veterans and I think you're on the right track for doing that.  If not then you probably want to scale things back quite a lot.

Possible bugs:

After drowning in the tutorial level, (on purpose, I'm not _that_ bad at platformers. ;) ) I respawned underneath the "Don't forget to save when there's checkpoints" text bubble popup, but was unable to move or otherwise act. The tutorial needed to be restarted from the menu. Was reproduceable, at least on my end.

Also, recieved an error when trying to start a challenge mode game:

for object obj_CmodeCursorL:

Error in code at line 4:
   if(global.JoystickPlugged==true)
             ^
at position 12: Unknown variable JoystickPlugged
---------------------------------------

also reproduceable on my end.

In all though, I was impressed, you've got something great started here, and I'll keep an eye out for future updates. :) ..and I'd be happy to continue with the demo if you want to drop a hint or two about where to go next. >.>

Hope this was helpful, and let me know if you would like me to clarify on anything I said. :)

KUoIG7c.png
Please give me a hand by provding feedback on my new game, Descender! Submit your best level times and be included in the credits! Click here.

#16 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

I like it a lot! However when I played the tutorial after the save stop I died in the monster in the water, and when I respawned I was stuck and couldn't move :(.

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#17 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

Played for I think about an hour and a half, writing my impression here as I went. Evenutally stopped so I could conclude my review, and because I could not figure out where to go next after finding the Map, Boots and teleporter in the first stage. If I had known where to go I would have played longer. It's a fun game, though a little frustrating and I did die quite a lot.

Anyway, overall, I like it! It's quite well done from what I can see, and has a lot of little details that show love for the project. :) I especially like the effects on the destructible items, and the NPC dialog is a nice touch. I also like they way you set up your story info with the opening dialog boxes. Movement felt solid and animations looked pretty good. :) I thought the scrolling backgrounds were a nice touch as well.

I played with an xbox controller, which worked just fine in general, however I did notice that while you are able to change menu options using the controller, you still have to reach for the keyboard to activate the selection, whis is a bit awkward. Some button on the controller (start or A, etc.) that activates menu choices would be appreciated. Same thing goes for the pause menu and probably a few other places.

I like the dynamic, disappearing HUD, however I feel like when a player is at low health you might want to keep the health display up continuously to remind them. A few times I was suprised by a 1-hit kill since I had no idea my health was so low.

Also, I've been hit by those plant things when I was almost certain I shouldn't have been. Not the things they spit, it appeared to be a colission with the plant itself. This happened a couple of times and may be a hitbox problem...?

As another reviewer posted, a lot of the jumps at the beginning are very tight. I did find this a little annoying as well, but I can understand if that's the intent of your design, especially since you are citing Super Meat Boy as an influence. If your intent is to make a challenging game for platformer veterans and I think you're on the right track for doing that.  If not then you probably want to scale things back quite a lot.

Possible bugs:

After drowning in the tutorial level, (on purpose, I'm not _that_ bad at platformers. ;) ) I respawned underneath the "Don't forget to save when there's checkpoints" text bubble popup, but was unable to move or otherwise act. The tutorial needed to be restarted from the menu. Was reproduceable, at least on my end.

Also, recieved an error when trying to start a challenge mode game:

for object obj_CmodeCursorL:

Error in code at line 4:
   if(global.JoystickPlugged==true)
             ^
at position 12: Unknown variable JoystickPlugged
---------------------------------------

also reproduceable on my end.

In all though, I was impressed, you've got something great started here, and I'll keep an eye out for future updates. :) ..and I'd be happy to continue with the demo if you want to drop a hint or two about where to go next. >.>

Hope this was helpful, and let me know if you would like me to clarify on anything I said. :)

Thanks for your fantastic feedback!

- Regarding controller support. I took the decision to not let the player change the ESC/Enter keys in the config. I want some consistent main "enter/cancel" keys that no one can mess it. So I did the same for the controller. It might sound wierd but I figure most people are near or right in front of their keyboard playing so I thought it wouldn't be much a problem. I let the player being able to pause the game with the controller though. I might go back on those "reserved keys" decision down the road though if everybody thinks its stupid. lol

- Hud: You idea is really good. Actually I really wonder how I did not see that or think about that. Such a given lol. I will totally make the health appear permanently on screen when in low health. Tks alot for this comment.

- For the jumps I don't know if you realised you can jump at the beginning of your "falling" when you leave a Platform? Its hardly apparent but something a gamer can find I guess. I am not sure yet of an efficient way to incitate the player to find about this without blatantly telling him by text on screen. If you get some ideas outside forcing a couple of tight jumps, don't hesitate to tell me! :)

- When you die in the tutorial the player is stuck. I did not upload a new version with this major bug fixed yet because I am actively porting the game to GameMaker Studio this week. I shall update this thread more often when I am done with that.

- Oh and the Challenge Mode is not ready to test yet  :P

Edited by RangerX, 01 April 2015 - 09:05 PM.

(alpha section)

#18 cuedaninja

cuedaninja

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

Looks interesting...ill try to check it out sometime.

EN4a09N.png

Now Available! Now On Android/Google Play App Market!

Coming Soon To Apple/iTunes and other Mobile Game App Stores!

#19 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:40 AM

New version uploaded!

(download in opening post)

Changelog: 

Version: TLRtest420s

[Mod] Version ported to GameMaker Studio!
[Mod] New file path now sorta universal
[Mod] New scaling solution - Even better than the old one!
[Mod] Finding an item doesn't save the game anymore
[Mod] Updated the keyboard splashscreen at game start
[Mod] Bats now move away while the player is hurting
[Mod] Improved the trampoline irregular jumps
[Mod] Added some padding to textbox movement in the tutorial room
[Mod] Gave the object_transition its own variable for controlling alpha
[Mod] V-sync now working, yay!
[Mod] Re-arranged the different drawing depth of objects and tiles 

[Fix] Crash: Collision companion disappearing too fast
[Fix] Player is stuck if he died in the tutorial
[Fix] Platforms and trampolines broken (was because Pearl fix, v41)
[Fix] Slashing+Jumping on a wall = can climb it without glove power
[Fix] Can't open the game statistics screen
[Fix]Can't slash while on slopes
[Fix] Some hits aren't registering when hitting mobs
[Fix] Player not following trampoline movement

Not testable: 

- Scaling options
- Windows options
- Challenge Mode

(alpha section)

#20 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

I would like to know if it can run good, especially on old PC. 

Throw me a bone if you have a bad/old machine. Gotta test and see if GameMaker Studio version runs generally better (I hope so). 

:)

(alpha section)

#21 Lindion45

Lindion45

Scared of the Ducks

• GMC Member
  • 1554 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

WHY IS IT AN INSTALLER???????!!!!!!!!

Aside from that, very smooth platformer. I love the animation of the fire on the main menu. Is that a shader? Or just like loads of sprites being drawn in a fancy fashion?

Also, I'm assuming there's an upgrade mechanic because there is stuff I can not jump to or swim to!

UzQSAz6.pngXhTycnt.png

#22 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

WHY IS IT AN INSTALLER???????!!!!!!!!

Aside from that, very smooth platformer. I love the animation of the fire on the main menu. Is that a shader? Or just like loads of sprites being drawn in a fancy fashion?

Also, I'm assuming there's an upgrade mechanic because there is stuff I can not jump to or swim to!

Installer? Gamemaker studio does it by default so I did not change it. It takes like 2 seconds, everybody is used to games installing + it creates a convenient uninstall anyways. I like it. :P

About the abilities, since its the first zone of the game, obviously the player won't have all the abilities yet. You can find the "High Jump boots" and the "Large Lungs" though. 

And if you want to try the abilities that will be available later in the game, look at the "cheats" section in the opening post :)

(alpha section)

#23 Lindion45

Lindion45

Scared of the Ducks

• GMC Member
  • 1554 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

But how is the fire made? :D

And also with a standalone exe, it doesn't even require an uninstall, you can just delete it. Aside from local app data which is like 1 byte xD

UzQSAz6.pngXhTycnt.png

#24 Shury

Shury

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:21 AM

I dont like platformers much but this one kept me playing... I stoped at the point i didn know what to do, i got the map and boots...
The breakable things are really nice and well made, the main character is also very nice. I coudnt get much of the story because i didn get far. The tutorial was nice but the cenario a little weird, seemed like technology stuff dont know if theres something to do with the plot... I didn like to use the installer for a 6mb game and the death animation is weird. That fuc*ing snail killed me a lot with that slow neck stretch wich was awesome. That plant stuff is also nice. Now the thing is missing the most: sounds. I understand that it's something you're letting to do after but just add some placeholder sounds, will make playing/testing the game much nicer. And last thing: Those jumps are kinda tight for the first level.

Bug: after pressing esc at the map
Spoiler

#25 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:49 AM

I dont like platformers much but this one kept me playing... I stoped at the point i didn know what to do, i got the map and boots...
The breakable things are really nice and well made, the main character is also very nice. I coudnt get much of the story because i didn get far. The tutorial was nice but the cenario a little weird, seemed like technology stuff dont know if theres something to do with the plot... I didn like to use the installer for a 6mb game and the death animation is weird. That fuc*ing snail killed me a lot with that slow neck stretch wich was awesome. That plant stuff is also nice. Now the thing is missing the most: sounds. I understand that it's something you're letting to do after but just add some placeholder sounds, will make playing/testing the game much nicer. And last thing: Those jumps are kinda tight for the first level.

Bug: after pressing esc at the map
Spoiler

Thanks for your feedback, its really appreciated. It actually made my day that you liked my game without even liking platformers much! :)

- For the sound, I know its sort of flat without it but in a couple of version (if not the next one) there will be placeholder sound + option to turn it on/off in the main menu if ever its too annoying. 

- The look of the tutorial ties in with the plot indeed. Right now the intro cut-scene is not there yet so its normal you don't get everything. Have you read the computers? 

- Tight jumps... Yes they can appear quite tight. I am actually facing some game design dilema there. I don't want my game to explain stuff to the player with text outside the tutorial. I made the jumps quite forgiving in fact because you can jump when you start to fall (after you leave a platform). Its just that I would like the player to discover it and not being told about it. Right now I don't have a better "show don't tell" way of making the player realise the jump is forgiving outside making him go through jumps that looks tight but are safe to cross (aka you won't die from jumps in the first area, Ezuma's Grounds). 

- For that fatal error, under wich circumstances are you pressing Esc? I can't reproduce it right now, its really intriguing. Is it that you collect the map, open it and while its displayed on screen you simply press Esc?

EDIT: found the crash. And that was an ugly one.

Edited by RangerX, 22 April 2015 - 05:02 AM.

(alpha section)

#26 Shury

Shury

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:14 AM

I didnt know i could read the computers lol. Now things make more sense. I got that error when i pressed esc in the map, but i couldnt do it again eighther =(.

If you have the time you could try my wip game in my signature, it has no graphics but the a.i. is getting very cool and chalenging with time.

About the dilema: I think it's cool this way where you have lot's of secrets and the player has to discover things him/her self(not talking about controls here, it's not cool to have to guess what the keys do), it feels very good when you discover a secret area or something like that in a game. Such a thing doesnt exist anymore in the AAA games which is sad... 

#27 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

NEW UPDATE

(download in opening post)

------------------------------------------------ TEST 425 ---------------------------------------------------------

[Add] Implemented placeholder music. Fades in/out with the transition object

[Mod] Removed precise collision on tons of sprites where it was not useful
[Mod] Improved passthrough collision (works better as solids)
[Mod] Improved the skip of intro's splashscreens so it doesn't mess the fade in/out transition
[Mod] Stopped the background color from being drawn
[Mod] Spawners not solid anymore
[Mod] Ajusted the depth of multiple objects (pearls, watersplash, smoke, etc)

[Fix] Crash when trying to activate teleporter in Ezuma's Grounds
[Fix] Crash + background not appearing because obj_hud and obj_background wrongly deactivated
[Fix] Gamemaker becomes slow after a controller is unplugged!
[Fix] Teleporter bottom not solid
[Fix] Hero being spawned 4 pixels above ground

Not to test: 

- windows and scaling options
- challenge mode

(alpha section)

#28 Gary1q2

Gary1q2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

The controls are a bit overwhelming for me.

I would rather just a set of simple controls which I can remember off the top of my head.

I couldn't get out of the beginning of the game :<

edit: nvm i didnt do the tutorial lol

Edited by Gary1q2, 28 April 2015 - 02:21 PM.

#29 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:35 PM

Don't forget you can also set your own controls in the "key configuration" option.

You should be able to play in any way you see fit.

(alpha section)

#30 White_Silver_GP

White_Silver_GP

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

*NOTICE* This is my REVIEW, not my actual experience!

This game makes you respect Game Maker and devs as a whole. This game shows just how much 1 person could achieve, while still dealing with school and every other thing in life. This proves to all dev groups that this person has much talent, that this person would be work material. The platformer part of this game is amazing, simple concept but used very nicely. The graphics tie it all together making it look like a modern day 2D platformer, if I had not known any better I would have thought a actual company made this as a demo. The tutorial is fair, personally think it should be added in-game as a beginner level/intro to the story as this would tie the player into the game from the start. Other than that I found no bugs, no glitches, and well placed blocks to make sure a person isn't just going to jump out from the level.

My Recommendation:
- Integrate tutorial into the game its self
- Make it a little less linear
- Get more people to help you with the project
- Add in volume option

Overall Score: 7/10 - Worth Some Green!
Final Say: With 1 you will rise, with more you will conquer!

Once game is completed I would say maybe an 8/10, but due to the current state is why it is 7/10.

SS Climax:
Currently 29 days (or less) till Alpha! Woo!

#31 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:34 AM

*NOTICE* This is my REVIEW, not my actual experience!

This game makes you respect Game Maker and devs as a whole. This game shows just how much 1 person could achieve, while still dealing with school and every other thing in life. This proves to all dev groups that this person has much talent, that this person would be work material. The platformer part of this game is amazing, simple concept but used very nicely. The graphics tie it all together making it look like a modern day 2D platformer, if I had not known any better I would have thought a actual company made this as a demo. The tutorial is fair, personally think it should be added in-game as a beginner level/intro to the story as this would tie the player into the game from the start. Other than that I found no bugs, no glitches, and well placed blocks to make sure a person isn't just going to jump out from the level.

My Recommendation:
- Integrate tutorial into the game its self
- Make it a little less linear
- Get more people to help you with the project
- Add in volume option

Overall Score: 7/10 - Worth Some Green!
Final Say: With 1 you will rise, with more you will conquer!

Once game is completed I would say maybe an 8/10, but due to the current state is why it is 7/10.

Thanks for the nice comments. This encourages me to continue. 

About your recommendations, some of them are already in the plans. The game will indeed not be linear like the tutorial level. It will be a Metroidvania style of design. Basically you will explore everyzone in expansion from the fact you will gradually gain new navigation abilities and probably a couple of weapon (although I want to focus on platformer before killing mobs)

In the version I am currently working on, the scaling and windows options are back, there's a music volume option + there's even a sound test. Not sure when I will upload it though. I want to work on more things before. 

(alpha section)

#32 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

Tried playing it, but it's super laggy for some reason. D:

Maybe my computer's a piece of crap...

Looks decent, though! Can't say much more than that, since I couldn't get anywhere. =(

#33 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

Ok, 

Can anyone else that is having slowdown drop me a line please? I would like to find out what's going on. 

(alpha section)

#34 SlyJakster

SlyJakster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:21 AM

Just popped in quick and saw that people are having fps issues. This May be due to an OS un-compatibility or something of that nature, because I'm running it flawlessly on an old Dell d630 laptop running Windows 7, with almost no issues what so ever. So I am not sure if this helps anyone about this situation or not, but just thought I'd let you know before I got to writing my real review and by then it being to late. Keep up the great work,

SlyJakster

Edited by SlyJakster, 06 May 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#35 Shury

Shury

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

Last time i played it was smooth.

2GB RAM

1GHz CPU

#36 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

So far it seems to be only some isolated cases. Probably some very crappy integrated graphic cards on certain computers.

I can't do much about it I guess.

(alpha section)

#37 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:48 AM

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE ----  TEST 430

[Add] Implemented placeholder music. Fades in/out with the transition object
[Add] New scaling option (play the game in its native size or scaled up)
[Add] New window option (play the game fullscreen or windowed)
[Add] New music volume option (set to 0, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100%)
[Add] New sound test option (only in main menu)
[Add] Option menu available when pausing

[Mod] Removed precise collision on tons of sprites where it was not useful
[Mod] Improved passthrough collision (works better as solids)
[Mod] NPCs now checking for the language setting each time they talk instead of only at creation
[Mod] Improved the skip of intro's splashscreens so it doesn't mess the fade in/out transition
[Mod] Stopped the background color from being drawn
[Mod] Spawners not solid anymore
[Mod] "obj Statue Text Box" isn't used anymore.
[Mod] Ajusted the depth of multiple objects (pearls, watersplash, smoke, etc)

[Fix] Crash when trying to activate teleporter in Ezuma's Grounds
[Fix] Crash when pressing "pause"
[Fix] Crash + background not appearing because obj_hud and obj_background wrongly deactivated
[Fix] Gamemaker becomes slow after a controller is unplugged!
[Fix] Music started twice after a game loading.
[Fix] Window settings and application surface not saved because of the "game_save()" function
[Fix] Teleporter bottom not solid
[Fix] Hero being spawned 4 pixels above ground
[Fix] NPCs getting deactivated while still on screen creating undesirable blinking

You can test the following: 

- All menus
- Map
- First zone of the game by chosing "new game"
- Tutorial level
- Feel of the character and its abilities (use cheat to try all the final abilities)

Road to Alpha: 

- More mobs
- Boss at the end of Ezuma's Grounds
- Decoration phase on Ezuma's Grounds
- Implementation of sound effects
- Opening Cut-Scenes
- First world of Challenge mode

Download:

(no install) 

Edited by RangerX, 07 May 2015 - 12:49 AM.

(alpha section)

#38 SlyJakster

SlyJakster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:13 AM

EDIT: THIS WAS PRE-NEW VERSION... MY APPOLOGIZE...

My experience, tips, questions, suggestions, and more!

First and for-most, I'd like to answer one of your questions:

In all honesty, I don't really think it matters to anyone as long as they know how to access the tutorial, if integrated into the main game, they can skip it, and if they can just easily get the gist of your game in general. I personally didn't really know that there was a tutorial at first so I went into the game clueless and wasn't sure what to do what so ever so did some research here on your topic and in game and found out the controls. As for the tutorial you do have, I feel it did the job great, (granted people know that there is one - maybe place the tutorial button above the play button or something to make it more noticeable).

Review Introduction

Before I start the official review, I'd like to get a few things cleared up. I am very interested in this projects progression and am extremely addicted to the gameplay you have put forth so far! I am also fully aware and understanding that your game is in a very early state. I also did my best to read through all of the previous posts to make sure I don't nit-pick on things that have already been mentioned to you a hundred times, however, I am not aware of what you fully intend for your game such as features or direction, but I will do my best to inform you on what I think is necessary to help your game grow and get closer to a more playable state. With that said, here is my official review.

The FPS dilemma:

As far as running the game on this Dell D630 Laptop running crappy integrated graphics, 2gb RAM, and windows 7, the game starts up and runs for hours without any "LAG" per-say. I am not 100% if it's due to my computer or not, but I do feel that certain game-play, animations, and movement are on the slow side, so maybe test out some higher speeds with things.

Controls:

I had more than enough time to test out all of the controls as I have easily at least 3.5+ hours of playing time on this game. Yes that is a lot of playing time, but I only managed to use the "game-pad" functionality as it is so much fun and smooth (granted you know the controls). I did find it quite irritating at times that I would have to set my controller down to "enter" or "back" on things since you don't have it where players can do that with the game-pad. I feel like you could probably simplify the controls even more and probably get close to fitting them all onto the one game-pad itself so players don't have to go back and forth game-pad to keyboard. If that seems tricky maybe look into simple combinations and or thumbstick presses as well. Otherwise they are decent controls and get the job done for now. Just need to figure out a simplified way to relay those controls to the player.

Gameplay and story:

The story you currently have written I didn't read until after gameplay so I could see if I could learn the story well enough through your game. I could get the bare minimum main objective of your game, but didn't know the nitty-gritty. Like I had stated before though, I understand the game is at an extremely early state, but as a suggestion, make sure the story/quest-line gets implemented into the game as well to capture our utmost attention so we have something to follow and keep us occupied. This may seem kind of redundant or obvious as a future reference, but like I said I don't know exactly what you had planned for the future either so I am just elaborating on my thoughts exactly.

Graphics:

As far as graphics go, you seem to have a great start. Everything is very appealing to the eye and for the most part sticks to one style. The tutorial level actually almost looked like a finish product to me and looked very well thought through. A+ on the graphics for sure! The only thing is that there isn't much more to say about the graphics as there isn't a WHOLE lot to the game as of yet so there isn't to much variety. That will obviously change within good time though so good job!

Conclusion (for now)

I am not sure how helpful all of this was, but I hope I did my part as a GMC member and hope for the best towards this project! The game has a VERY SOLID start and has great potential and after another update or two you should probably think about forming a small community of players/fans on your own forum/website to get the BEST feedback from people who do enjoy your game. As stated by another member, (unless you want this to be a single-man project), maybe collaborate with another person or two to come up with faster results. If I have been following correctly English isn't your first language so maybe having an English speaking person manage some of your presentation and such so it can look more professional, (not that it doesn't already please don't take that the wrong way haha). If not don't worry too much about it these are very picky suggestions and shouldn't effect the process of your game in a negative way. On that topic, I wouldn't put too much focus towards graphical or old pc issues. I'd worry more about the main mechanics and getting some solid gameplay out there and features. You are much more renown to the public than I so I'm sure you already know this process, and I cannot wait to see what comes out of this! Don't hesitate to ask me anything or if you need assistance with anything there are plenty of us in the community that are more than happy to help.

EDIT 2: I cannot believe I completely spaced this, but more sounds would be enjoyable as well.

So like interaction, AI, actions and more for like sound effects and such. The speed problem also seems to be fixed in this next version. Also just played around with all of the abilities and have fallen in love even more with this game. Love the double-jump, flips, wall-jumping, and wall sliding! its so cool!

Keep up the good work, SlyJakster

Edited by SlyJakster, 07 May 2015 - 02:51 AM.

#39 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:42 AM

Thank you for this amazing feedback SlyJakster. I am really happy that the game pleases you even at this very early state. 

- Story: there will be more for the player to grasp what's going on because right now, the cut-scene system isn't even there yet. There will be a small opening scene with an old school intro (images + text) like we were seeing before in SNES/Genesis times.

- Graphics: yes the tutorial section is quite "finished". I might not add anything at all. Ezuma's Village is also pretty final in matter of graphics. I still to go through a good decoration pass for Ezuma's Grounds though. 

(alpha section)

#40 SlyJakster

SlyJakster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

That sounds like a solid plan and the game is great. The only real thing that would NEED improvement to me is the English translations. MOst of it makes sense, but is harder to understand. Great job keep up the great work!

#41 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

I need to have all the language stuff verified at some point. 

English is not my first language so am sure there's alot of phrases and terms that aren't ideal. 

(alpha section)

#42 SlyJakster

SlyJakster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

Yeah it's no problem atm though. Very much looking forward to the next big update!

#43 Mrbear91

Mrbear91

Bear Games Dev

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:35 AM

of Draw Event
for object obj_Testing:

Unable to find any instance for object index '225' name 'obj_TitleScreen_Manager'
at gml_Object_obj_Testing_Draw_0
############################################################################################
^ Happens when you press f3! Will update with more later (Currently Playing!) in the mean time why not try my platformer? (link is in my sig) not as far along or nice for that matter compared to this! So far so GOOD!

So found another issue (atleast i think) in Ezuma's Grounds (the first water you in the area)  when you dive in the water your air depletes super fast! Bats can not go through platforms?  darn i hoped that the secret was down the well! I will definatly be watching this game as you developing it! Great WORK! and will be playing this again soon!

Edited by Mrbear91, 12 May 2015 - 12:57 AM.

coollogo_com-13168104_zps6w7ocqzz.jpg

Silent Warfare v1.3 Out NOW! Jam 18 Rank: 47

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=662454&hl=

#44 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

of Draw Event
for object obj_Testing:

Unable to find any instance for object index '225' name 'obj_TitleScreen_Manager'
at gml_Object_obj_Testing_Draw_0
############################################################################################
^ Happens when you press f3! Will update with more later (Currently Playing!) in the mean time why not try my platformer? (link is in my sig) not as far along or nice for that matter compared to this! So far so GOOD!

So found another issue (atleast i think) in Ezuma's Grounds (the first water you in the area)  when you dive in the water your air depletes super fast! Bats can not go through platforms?  darn i hoped that the secret was down the well! I will definatly be watching this game as you developing it! Great WORK! and will be playing this again soon!

There will be alot of things to find in the game. Secret entrances and exits from different zones, power ups, and also secret treasures that will give a nice boost in your Pearls collecting. (the hero is a treasure hunter afterall).

To bad my debug object is crashing though. Anyways its obviously not needed to play the game.

As for the swimming thing, at the beginning of the game, the little hero cannot swim much. Once you will find the "large lungs" power up though....

EDIT:

Oh and I'll be glad to return some feedback your way. :)

Edited by RangerX, 12 May 2015 - 04:30 PM.

(alpha section)

#45 superbattleships

superbattleships

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

Just hit F3 while playing and there's a fatal error. You might already know this considering it's under "obj_testing". haha

Also, I don't really know how to talk with the people. I would walk up to them and press some buttons on my keyboard and nothing would happen. I couldn't get out of the first area. I'm really tired, so maybe there's another way out I'm not thinking of right now, but without talking to anyone, it doesn't look like there is a way out. I can't go through doors while hitting enter or anything. 

Edited by superbattleships, 14 May 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#46 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:17 AM

Just hit F3 while playing and there's a fatal error. You might already know this considering it's under "obj_testing". haha

Also, I don't really know how to talk with the people. I would walk up to them and press some buttons on my keyboard and nothing would happen. I couldn't get out of the first area. I'm really tired, so maybe there's another way out I'm not thinking of right now, but without talking to anyone, it doesn't look like there is a way out. I can't go through doors while hitting enter or anything. 

I strongly suggest you play the tutorial level then. You can also set your keys in the options. 

My game is thought and made like old games, it doesn't hold you by the hands. If you need some tutorial you need to enter the dedicated level for it.

I hope you try this and play more  :)

(alpha section)

#47 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

My game is thought and made like old games, it doesn't hold you by the hands. If you need some tutorial you need to enter the dedicated level for it.

Any specific old games you're thinking of? I'm having a hard time pulling up any games I couldn't figure out the basic controls for. X'D

(I don't necessarily disagree with your design decisions, though.)

#48 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

Any specific old games you're thinking of? I'm having a hard time pulling up any games I couldn't figure out the basic controls for. X'D

(I don't necessarily disagree with your design decisions, though.)

Indeed, but some people need to be walked through the park from A to Z. Actually my game is much more "modern" on that aspect than NES or SNES games anyways. I show a controls splashcreen at the beginning + there's a tutorial in the main menu + key configuration option + message at bottom of the screen to tell you there's a help page (with the controls displayed again). All of that was not there in 99,9% of old games... 

(alpha section)

#49 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

Actually my game is much more "modern" on that aspect than NES or SNES games anyways. I show a controls splashcreen at the beginning

Well, there's only eight buttons on an SNES controller, compared to like fifty or whatever on a keyboard, so it's a little easier to figure out the controls yourself in SNES and NES games, hahah. X'D

It's true though that most old PC games didn't bother teaching you the controls, either. I think in most of them it was understood that if you needed to learn the controls, you should go into the options menu and learn them, or bind them to the keys you want to use, hahah.

Which is why I don't really see a problem with your game, at least not as a full game. When people download demos on the GMC, they don't want to screw around learning controls or binding their own, usually. I play most GMC games for less than five minutes before getting them off my HDD, so I'd rather the controls be obvious than confusing. Most games use the arrows to move, with asdf or zxcv or space, control, alt, and enter as action keys. Pressing down on the keyboard is kind of a weird choice to talk to people, honestly. I didn't know how to do it at first, either. When I figured it out, I was like "what, really? = \", hahah.

Edited by HopelessComposer, 17 May 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#50 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:19 AM

Actually I've pressing up or down to enter or interact in quite many games. Maybe more old games. Those 2 keys are much less used than left and right so I guess its why many games used up or down to interact. What I hate though is those games where you press "up" to jump. My mind really seperate one hand for movement and the other one for interactions -- just like with a controller. Plus most PC games are WASD or ZXC. 

But PC from the 80s and many commodore games where actually ASD + JKL. That's the style I decided to take for the default controls of The Life Ruby. Its old school and I think it still is a great position as it is basically the position for typing --- ergonically studied as the most comfortable for a keyboard. 

But you know what, I changed the default position for the cursor in the main menu when you start the game. It is now pointing to "tutorial". So if ever someone goes fast like "enter enter enter enter" (lol) they will end up in the tutorial and learn the game right away. :P

(alpha section)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platformer, adventure, retro, action