• Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:28 AM

Hi Guys,

Title: One Of Them

Download: http://www.win32deve...s/test_app2.zip

Controls: Arrow keys, Space, Escape

Gamepad Support: Yes

I have been working on this one for a long time in sporadic bursts :rolleyes:

This will be a 'martial arts adventure'. But, still a long way to go before it resembles that. :ph34r:

Most of the work has been on getting the underlying engine working right and in more recent times handling display resolutions correctly. Which is all going well for the most part. I am pretty aware of the areas that still need work.

I have a playable demo of where it is at, at the moment. Can't do much at this stage except for walk and jump. No animations yet, they are coming very soon.

test_app_00.png

I'd be interested in getting some feedback on frame rate, screen resolutions that you played on, and overall experience (smooth, chuggy, you know the drill :)).

Be honest with your feedback - Hurt me! :wink:

[edit]

Had some feedback from quite a few people already via PM and status update. Thanks guys!

The general consensus is that they are getting very low frame rate (which I feared might be the case, due to the project being heavy on shaders).

I have uploaded another version, which looks virtually the same (minus the glow effect). But, a lot has been done other than that to boost performance on old devices.

The new version is here:

http://www.win32deve...s/test_app2.zip

Feedback on performance with the new version is greatly appreciated :)

[Based on Nocturne's feedback]

• Just uploaded the fix for the background size and disabled v-sync to give accurate FPS results (Note: the latter may cause tearing, so is just for benchmark purposes ;))

Edited by Lonewolff, 20 March 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

Okay, first of all, if you are making the view/window scale to the aspect ratio of the PC monitor, you'll need to make the backgrounds bigger!!!

fidh70s.png

Next, if you want an accurate FPS report, then TURN OFF VSYNC! The FPS will show the initial value, then drop to the room speed/refresh rate when vsync is active, and since this drops to a solid 60 for me, I'd assume you have it activated.

Other than that it ran fine! Oh, I would like to say that the player feals very "floaty" and I think that his jumping needs to be tweaked drastically... From what you say of the game, it will require that the player character feels "solid" (fighting games do) and at the moment he doesn't. Feels like a fart from a fly would blow him over. :P

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#3 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Noc,

You are obviously running at a higher resolution than I have (guessing 1080P there - oh yeah, just noticed it in your screenshot :P).

I thought that may crop up but forgot to address that. So next update will have it nailed :thumbsup:

Yes, vsync is on. So I'll set that to be off also (obviously tearing will occur for the demo - but that's cool).

The fly-fart factor will need some tweaking too. :D Was more worried about performance at this stage due to the initial FPS hit due to shaders.

At this stage the current demo is shader free and I'll build it up again.

Thanks for the feedback Noc :)

[edit]

Just uploaded the fix for the background size and disabled v-sync to give accurate FPS results (Note: the latter may cause tearing, so is just for benchmark purposes ;))

Edited by Lonewolff, 20 March 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#4 9eneric

9eneric

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

Hey there,

Thought I should return the favor of game testing.
With the game from the updated link, I was getting 550-650fps on average, dropping to around 300fps when moving around the slopes.
I was playing with a 1920x1080 resolution monitor (like Nocturne). The background fits horizontally, however it doesn't seem to reach all the way to the bottom of the screen. This is only really obvious when standing on the bridge since the terrain doesn't completely cover the bottom of the screen.
Otherwise, it is running smoothly.

#5 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

Thanks dude :)

I'll have to plug in a HD TV today and check out the scaling. I thought I had it nailed, but obviously missed a line (the joys of not having the right screen to test on :)).

Thanks again for the feedback!

[edit]

Tested on my TV just then and yep, the background didn't fit on the vertical.

Turns out I scaled twice on the X axis (instead of X & Y). Sleep deprivation will do that to you. So, the link has been updated with the correct fix now :)

Edited by Lonewolff, 21 March 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#6 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

Made some serious progress in optimizing the internals and adding a few new surprises.

The most significant optimization was in replacing the GM:S pixel perfect collision with my own implementation, which boosted frame rate at least tenfold. Along with that and other massive optimizations, I was able to lift the frame rate from 3 FPS at 1920 x 1080 on an eight year old 'Acer Extensa 5630' laptop to around 1100 FPS - no longer alienating older hardware. :cool:

Still got a little way to go before I release a new demo, but hopefully it will be worth the wait :thumbsup:

#7 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

Newest one ran fine for me, around 500-800 fps on my old computer. Not much to say so far, since there isn't anything to do, but I was able to jump through the wall at the end of the level. Not sure if you fixed that yet or not though, hahah. Looking forward to the next demo. =)

#8 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:01 AM

Been working my butt off withy optimizations the past few weeks. Yes, I know don't over optimize too early - LOL. But, I need to do the major optimizations early as it has a significant effect on how my program is structured. I think I am done now with the optimization process.

The main performance hit came from the 'bloom' shader seen in the original post.

I have now dropped two shader passes (along with two surfaces) by offloading a heap of the work back to the CPU (as the GPU has enough to think about :P).

The result is a cleaner 'bloom' and ~1000% FPS increase on that part.

Originally I was getting ~112 FPS with bloom in a basic test room and now I am getting just over 1000 FPS for the same test room.

An example of 'new bloom' below.

glow.png

Now I need to mesh all of this gear nicely into the main project again.

With a bit of luck, I'll have a nicer more complete demo in a week or two :)

[edit]

Oooh, just managed to squeeze another 300% increase with a simple tweak. ::lmao::

Edited by Lonewolff, 22 April 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#9 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Damn, It's been a while since I updated this thread :hmmm:

Since last post, a huge amount has been going on with this, including a complete rewrite of the whole engine which has given amazing flexibility and performance.

Anyhow, wont bore you any longer. Here are the most recent screenies (I still consider them WIP quality - but they are certainly heading in the right direction :woot: )

screen_02a.png

screen_01a.png

screen_03a.png

anim_walk.gif

I am particularly pleased with the last scene there. Not because of any scenery or anything like that. It's the amount of work I put into making the feet match up with the ground on any angle. So much tough and effort went into the routine that it is now a matter of 'dropping in' any object and it 'just works' (plus the 30 FPS walk cycle is pretty smooth too) :cool:

#10 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

Oh my! Still in development and everything! glad to see it! :)

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#11 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

Only 2000fps so disappointed XD

For some reason my char didn't animate?

Edited by lordvtp, 20 March 2016 - 09:33 PM.

lord5.png