#1 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hey there GMC!

I provide free to you a fully animated isometric sprite set (8 directions). I would use something like this as a placeholder for developing isometric games, but I wanted it to be of use to more people, so here you go! The download includes all 8 directions of sprites AND a collection of .sprite.gmx files so that all you have to do is drag and drop them into Game Maker Studio! The images are still there and well named, so you don't need GM:S to use this resource.

Preview:
 spr_boxman_idle_se_0.pngwalk_preview.gifhammer_preview.gif
Included Animations:

1. Idle (16 Frames x 8 Directions)
  2. Walk (24 Frames x 8 Directions)
  3. Hammer (24 Frames x 8 Directions)
  4. More wanted?

Download:
Dropbox Link: https://dl.dropboxus.../iso_worker.zip
Download Size: 5.75 MB
License: OGA-BY 3.0 (http://static.openga.../OGA-BY-3.0.txt) Which just means you're free to use it personally, or commercially if you give me credit as Riley Gombart.

Blender Isometric Sprite Export to GM:S (.sprite.gmx files included):
As a bonus to this asset, I'm providing the script I use to automatically generate these renders (AND the .sprite.gmx files for easy GM:S importing) from Blender! As a heads up, it will require working knowledge of Blender's GUI. I'll try to write an easier to understand, step-by-step tutorial as soon as I can! See spoiler below:

Spoiler

Edited by Chessmasterriley, 08 March 2015 - 01:13 AM.

sig_preview_anim.gifsiggy_gif.gifzombie_01_walk.gif

#2 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:40 AM

Great script, just one thing: it seems the script creates the sprite.gmx files starting at index 0, when blender default to start an animation at frame 1, so if you just render a one-frame length isometric set of sprites with your script then the importing won't work (since no 0 labeled images will exist, just label 1 images)

Remember me as the one who can't be remembered

#3 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:11 AM

Good point! Just be sure to start the animation at 0. Nowhere in the data block api for blender could I find a reference to the currently rendering frame, so I can't reference it when creating the sprite file. I'll note that in the tutorial. Thanks for pointing that out.

#4 ReActiveGames

ReActiveGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

This is fantastic! I've been using Blender for years now and manually placing a camera to render individual frames (or just positioning one properly and rotating the object manually for every object) is so time-consuming and usually just plain annoying. Definitely not needed for my current project, but an amazingly useful tool. Thank you! :)

#5 klong

klong

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 988 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

This is very useful setting up all this stuff is something that has kept me from using some of my animated models. Thank you Chessmasterriley really cool

klongs Youtube channel

#6 Skydove

Skydove

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

Hi Chessmasterriley I'm having a short problem here... I used your codings and all (I even downloaded the .blend file) It worked for the first time and on the second time I cant produce the .gmx files anymore :( Is there anything to do to fix this problem ? It always says "Python script fail... Look for the console now..." THINGY... Please anyone help me! I need help ASAP please and please reply to me at my GMAIL so I can read it ASAP @ majesticshackle@gmail.com Thank and God Bless!

#7 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:37 AM

I'm not sure what could have happened - did you try re-downloading the blend file, or just copy-paste the script from the original post back into the python console?

-Riley

#8 SomeMadPoet

SomeMadPoet

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

This looks pretty awesome. Guess it's time for me to learn how to model in Blender.

#9 CROmartinX

CROmartinX

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

Cool art!!

#10 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hi, tried your script, and it says...

'Python script fail, look in the console for now'

But rotates the camera 45 degrees.

(This was your example file.)

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#11 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hi, tried your script, and it says...

'Python script fail, look in the console for now'

But rotates the camera 45 degrees.

(This was your example file.)

You probably have a newer version of Blender than the one Chessmasterriley used, so it may come from there. When I ran it (close to when it was posted) it ran perfectly*.

*apart from the numbering issue I stated.

Remember me as the one who can't be remembered

#12 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

So what do I do? Download an older version?

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#13 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be; it shouldn't be a change in how the py script is executed...but I suppose it could be. I'm running blender 2.71. You can try tinkering with the code - it's rather simple.

#14 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

I'm on 2.75.

Also, I'm not really python-experienced...

#15 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

What do I do D:

If you have TeamViewer you can have a look.

#16 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

I would first try downloading an older version of blender 2.71 at most and then redownload the blend file. Then try it. If it still doesn't work, we can bugfix from there.

#17 YanBG

YanBG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

Hey Chessmasterriley, thanks a bunch for that script! I'm using it for my rpg(you are in the credits) and it works great but instead of switching whole sprite when there is armor or weapon equiped i went for "paper doll" system and it works but i have to manually edit the .sprite files origin, in order to draw the club in the character's hand for example.

Do you think it's possible to expand the script giving all sprites the same origin(around the character's belt) and crop them too? My game: http://www.indiedb.c.../bogarash-alpha

Flaeon i think i had the same problem, had to change the output field to D:\spr_Player, it can be whatever but it should match your systems folders.

If it doesn't work, i can send you one .blend on the latest version.

#18 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

Hey Chessmasterriley, thanks a bunch for that script! I'm using it for my rpg(you are in the credits) and it works great but instead of switching whole sprite when there is armor or weapon equiped i went for "paper doll" system and it works but i have to manually edit the .sprite files origin, in order to draw the club in the character's hand for example.

Do you think it's possible to expand the script giving all sprites the same origin(around the character's belt) and crop them too? My game: http://www.indiedb.c.../bogarash-alpha

Flaeon i think i had the same problem, had to change the output field to D:\spr_Player, it can be whatever but it should match your systems folders.

If it doesn't work, i can send you one .blend on the latest version.

Good to hear the script is being used for such a promising looking project!

The export script as it is will export the sprites with the origin at the center of the image. As long as you keep the center of the export image the same for each item, it should stay that way. If you want to tinker with the origin locations, the part of the scrip that sets that is this:

file.write(" <xorig>" + str(round(image_width/2,0)).rstrip('0').rstrip('.') + "</xorig>\n")
file.write(" <yorigin>" + str(round(image_height/2,0)).rstrip('0').rstrip('.') + "</yorigin>\n")

Best,

Riley

#19 YanBG

YanBG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

Thanks again Riley! I use 1920x1080 resolution and 23% scale for the renders. I had to change it from /2.0 to /9.0 and that put the origin where i wanted, the sprite keeps it relative to the mesh even after i crop it. I have to do it manually in gamemaker(to reduce the memory use) but it's still quite fast and the results are perfect. 

#20 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:56 AM

@YanBG That seems inefficient...why not set the output to whatever your render size should be?

#21 YanBG

YanBG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

Do you mean the red rectangle in camera view? I keep it on max size because i use the same setup for the dying animation too. If i reduce it when rendering the shield only(it's attached to the left hand), the origin is still the same(213x120 in my case) but since the render is smaller it's not relative to where i want.

But if we figure that it would be great, maybe gamemaker has auto-cropping or something?

Edit: Oh you probably mean the resolution/scale of the render? I'm not sure but i used it when started using blender and at first i didn't know what graphic size to use in my game so the scale was changing, now i can set it properly though.

Btw the latest renders in game, feedback for the graphics would be appreciated: http://media.indiedb...tput_rmjtm1.gif

Edited by YanBG, 19 September 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#22 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

Do you mean the red rectangle in camera view? I keep it on max size because i use the same setup for the dying animation too. If i reduce it when rendering the shield only(it's attached to the left hand), the origin is still the same(213x120 in my case) but since the render is smaller it's not relative to where i want.

But if we figure that it would be great, maybe gamemaker has auto-cropping or something?

Edit: Oh you probably mean the resolution/scale of the render? I'm not sure but i used it when started using blender and at first i didn't know what graphic size to use in my game so the scale was changing, now i can set it properly though.

Btw the latest renders in game, feedback for the graphics would be appreciated: http://media.indiedb...tput_rmjtm1.gif

It looks great, but somewhat bland - have you considered a 3 point lighting? Even though it wouldn't be realistic in terms of lighting, it would look more interesting and would cause much of the detail on the character/items to stand out more.

I would be more than happy to edit your blend file to show you what I mean if you're comfortable with that. I'll pm you my email and we can chat on google or skype if you're interested.

Best,

Riley

#23 YanBG

YanBG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't done much with the lighting and an update would be nice, i've send you a pm.