#101 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:12 AM

Yeah the room editor....

Try filling your room wtih lots of overlapping objects (trees for instance). Big sprites that overlap a dozen smaller objects underneath them. Then I decide... oh I need ot adjust this one object under this tree. I have to grab all the trees and move them to empty space in the room editor just so I can click the small image they were overlapping....

... instead of just clicking something like "hide layer."

100% this.

I am at the point where I don't use the room editor any more. I do everything by code.

Would be good to have layers like in Photoshop. Different depths being on different layers.

#102 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

Amped for game maker studio 2, gotta get my ass in gear with 1 so that when the next releases i wont be far behind. :D

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#103 zendorf

zendorf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:24 AM

Yeah the room editor....

Try filling your room wtih lots of overlapping objects (trees for instance). Big sprites that overlap a dozen smaller objects underneath them. Then I decide... oh I need ot adjust this one object under this tree. I have to grab all the trees and move them to empty space in the room editor just so I can click the small image they were overlapping....

... instead of just clicking something like "hide layer."

And to add to that, there is no way of telling what depth overlapping objects will render at when viewing them in the room editor. I often have to add explicit "depth = xx" instance creation code to individual objects but of course you can't tell what the result will be until you hit play.

In general, it is a bloody nightmare to do a non tiled based game with the room editor! From what I have seen of your game, I had assumed that you had written your own level editor. Check out the free Inkbridge application that was written, as it allows you to edit your rooms in Inkscape and while it is far from a perfect solution, it is the only way I have been able to layout the levels in the game I am developing, as it has a ton of large overlapping sprites. I did start writing my own level editor, but abandoned it when I discovered Inkbrige. 

Edited by zendorf, 30 July 2015 - 03:27 AM.

Jellyfish Supercharge currently in development at Fracteed

#104 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

GMare is also an excellent alternative to GM's horrible room editor, if you guys are still looking.

#105 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

GMare is also an excellent alternative to GM's horrible room editor, if you guys are still looking.

Links or it doesn't exist :P

#106 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

https://gmare.codeplex.com/
There goes a link to the "official" GMare website :3

Edited by GameGoblin, 01 August 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#107 blurymind

blurymind

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:43 PM

A linux Game maker Studio version would be nice! A lot of programmers like using linux over other environments. it's quite hackable and comes with a great number of free and open source tools to aid game development.

A better level editor is a must.

can they release it by the holiday season? We'll see :)