GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

A personal note from the founding team

Dear All,

We are excited to announce that YoYo Games has been acquired by Playtech, and we wanted to write to you personally and tell you more.

YoYo was founded by myself and a group of games industry friends and has never had any external investors aside from our own funds. This means we’ve relied heavily on generating revenue, mainly from GameMaker sales. While everything has gone well and we’ve grown to 30 people it means that we have had to sell more products before we could invest in new features, yet it’s the new features that generate more sales.

Most companies in this position seek external investment to break the cycle and create new products to sell. We tried to raise funds several times in order to further develop GameMaker, but the offers we were given meant giving up on a lot of what we wanted to keep doing, i.e. developing a tool that would continue to be accessible to both beginners and professionals. Our vision has always been to maintain GameMaker: Studio as affordable and great value. This is why we made the Standard Edition free last year as well as package the technology together as Master Collection.

We looked for the right company with sufficient funds, knowledge and supporting technology that matches our developer’s needs.

The reason we accepted the offer from Playtech was they were the first investor who didn’t want to alter our vision. They haven’t just bought the company, they’re committed to investing in YoYo Games in a way that we have never been able to previously. With their help we can now push ahead and hire more people and make GameMaker: Studio an even better platform for casual games developers everywhere. If there are any changes they will be additions to our plans. In fact, we’re already working on a number of these and some of you will get a very pleasant surprise this summer.

They’ve also made us commit to launching GameMaker: Studio 2.0 later this year. In our efforts to generate sales we’ve not been getting our resources packed into Studio 2.0 as we would have liked. But now it’s all hands on deck and we’re really excited that Playtech’s investment will help us get this done at twice the speed.

Playtech’s purchase of YoYo Games means that GameMaker: Studio will get even better and we’re now even more committed to making GameMaker: Studio the best platform to learn how to make games, as well as a leading technology for professional developers.

The proof will come in the next few months and we can’t wait to get going and show you what’s in store.

Sandy, Mike, Russell and the rest of the team.

A note from Playtech

Playtech takes pride in being the biggest and most successful software supplier in the real-money gaming industry. We have, however, equally been very active in the social and casual games sector for several years and seeking new ways in which to grow this area of the business. Playtech’s acquisition of YoYo Games is part of a bigger plan to further diversify our strong and growing segment in casual gaming, a segment whereby we feel we can add considerable value via a combination of many years of expertise, cutting-edge technology and market value.

Prior to acquiring YoYo Games we‘ve made significant investments in our own in-house casual games studio entitled Plamee which currently employs more than 120 developers. You can enjoy our first launched game, Cake Story, on Facebook today. Please stay tuned for many more games to come in the coming weeks and months.

YoYo, alongside Plamee, will play a vital role in the future of Playtech’s casual games strategy and, on a wider level, a vital role in the overall growth of the Playtech group.

Following the acquisition we want to reassure you all that we have no plans to change the existing operation or business focus; we plan to re-inforce, bolster and grow YoYo in order for it to become the platform of choice for all types of game developers.

We plan to continue to support the loyal community of developers and grow GameMaker: Studio. We plan to invest more resources into improving GameMaker so it will appeal to a wider developer demographic, including the advanced developer segment. We believe that the continued development of GameMaker will enable us to extend our casual games offering, and fits well with our in-house casual team at Plamee.

If you have any more thoughts, please feel free to share those with us at ContactUs@plamee.com

Looking forward to a bright future,

Nadav Goshen, Plamee Advisor; Mor Weizer CEO Playtech

Further questions

Who are Playtech and what do they do?
Playtech (www.playtech.com) is the world’s leading multi-channel gaming software and services supplier with more than 120 licensees in more than 20 countries.
Playtech develops unified software platforms and content for the online, land-based, retail and lottery industries, together with providing a range of ancillary services such as marketing, CRM services and hosting to its customer base which includes: retail and online brands as well as government sponsored entities, such as lotteries, focusing only on regulated markets.
Founded in 1999, Playtech is listed on the London Stock Exchange and has more than 3,900 employees located in 14 countries.

Why is Playtech looking for game development tools?
Playtech provides hundreds of in-house and third-party games and premium content. Playtech has a portfolio of more than 500 multi-channel games available across retail, online and mobile. Therefore, it’s obvious that great technology such as GameMaker: Studio can and will be used by Playtech to make more games for our customers. If anyone is in any doubt about the size of this business, Unity has an entire group focused on serving the real-money gaming industry. However, the focus of GameMaker will always be casual and mid-core gaming!

Will you continue to support development issues for GameMaker developers’ community?
Nothing will change on that front or any for that matter. We will continue to cater for and build on the loyal community GameMaker and YoYo have developed, as well as investing more resources into improving and making the system faster, more efficient, user-friendly and appeal to a wider professional games developer audience.

Will licensing options of the engine change at all?
At this stage NO, we plan to keep the licensing model as is. Like any company YoYo is constantly exploring new licensing models but it is unlikely to make large-scale changes at the near future. We are looking at ways in which we can extend the GameMaker reach within the developers’ community and it is more likely that we will look for ways to introduce other options to the free Standard Edition in the medium to long-term.

Will the development roadmap of GameMaker change at all in the short and long-term?
Playtech will add more resource and we’re working closely with the existing team to add several new features that will extend GM’s capabilities. The wider plan is GameMaker 2.0. This is under development and will be completed later this year. GameMaker 2.0. will be a major release that is based on a long time roadmap that YoYo founders have shared with us based on the developers’ community requests, this was one of the reasons we decided to invest and acquire YoYo in the first place.

In summary, what can we expect?
We hope that by investing the needed money and expertise Playtech has into YoYo you will get a better and more complete GameMaker.

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#2 rmanthorp

rmanthorp

GMC Member

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

WILL WE STILL GET BACON ON A FRIDAY?!

I'm asking for a friend.

#3 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info GDD. Big relief there.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#4 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

If Mike and Russell say it's okay, I believe them!

Since Sandy is no longer the CEO, what exactly is his position, if I may ask? 

Is he in the development team now, or just a figurehead like Mr.Overmars?

I would also like to inquire about the Friday bacon?

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#5 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Wow. We complained so much about the death of yoyo we got an official response. Great job team!

Lets complain about GMS 2.0 being canceled or something and see if that works for an update.

#6 Daddio

Daddio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

Wow...that's really huge. It's exciting, but also scary! If the commitment is true and that GM:S will just get better, then I'm excited. You guys have done such great work and without investors??? I didn't know that - way to rock it!

Congrats on the acquisition! PLEASE, all we ask is that you don't forget us and don't forget why we love your product.

Please try "Huze" for Android. Final Beta.
FREE! Game Maker Compass and Grid PDF

#7 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Once again, congratulations to the YoYo Games team. Who would have thought, just 8 years after the company's inception it would be aqcuired for such a big sum. Well done, my sinister scotts!

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#8 Evilbecky

Evilbecky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Cool this sounds good hopefully we can get some really good things in GameMaker-studio 2.0.

#9 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

WILL WE STILL GET BACON ON A FRIDAY?!

I'm asking for a friend.

Yes. In all locations but the Tel Aviv office. Instead of Bacon-Roll Fridays, expect Lutefisk Fridays!

Applications for transfers to Tel Aviv are limited, submit early.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#10 JackOatley

JackOatley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

Hear ye! Hear ye!

The end is nigh!

(oh wait, I missed that part?)

#11 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

My guess is that Playtech didn't buy Yoyo for selling Game Maker, they bought it to use Game Maker. No other tool offer so fast prototyping and instant porting to practically all known devices. Being able to order any APIs and features they need, they'll use GM to take over the world casual game market.

...that's just my guess, though. (And in no way official)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#12 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:18 PM

You've all received a mail from YoYo Games and Playtech. I suggest you read it...

You folks have never been great about getting automated emails to Comcast addresses for some reason :P

If there's anything in that email that isn't in the OP of this topic, someone please let me know.
iPqfGiP.png

#13 eyezik

eyezik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:22 PM

My first thought! "Yayyy! Finally some freaking accountability!!"
Playtechs going to make GMS worse...honestly, how do you figure?!?
Yoyo and gms can only get better!
Now with proper resources($$$) and more people.. And being a public company. They MUST be accountable for the nonsence that theyve gotten away with until now.
Happy days, happy days!
*does alittle dance*
No more ceo sandy...was a fabulous start aswell!

Edit: yeah thats a big negative on the email. Nor am i a comcast user..

Edited by eyezik, 20 February 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#14 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

My first thought! "Yayyy! Finally some freaking accountability!!"
Playtechs going to make GMS worse...honestly, how do you figure?!?
Yoyo and gms can only get better!
Now with proper resources($$$) and more people.. And being a public company. They MUST be accountable for the nonsence that theyve gotten away with until now.
Happy days, happy days!
*does alittle dance*
No more ceo sandy...was a fabulous start aswell!

Mind if I ask what you're upset about? What have they "gotten away with"? YYG has been very open and friendly toward their user base for as long as I've been here and I'm sure long before.
iPqfGiP.png

#15 csanyk

csanyk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

I'm reserving judgement; it remains to be seen what Play Tech will do.  Whenever companies acquire each other, things change.  When YoYoGames took over GameMaker from Mark Overmars, they did fantastic things with it.  I love their roadmap, and they claim that Play Tech shares their vision and isn't interested in changing the way YYG run their business, but I've never seen an acquisition happen where that hasn't been said, and where the way the acquired company does things changes.  I only hope that whatever changes are coming, will be good for the GM:S ecosystem.

As for my wish list for the future of GameMaker?

1. GM:S IDE running on native linux and mac os x.
  2. Vastly improved Marketplace UI in the GM:S IDE.
  3. Vastly improved room editor.
  4. Cloud hosted service to build your project to any target platform.
  5. GM:S 2 discounted upgrade pricing for GM:S users.

#16 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

If Mike and Russell say it's okay, I believe them!

What did you expect them to say?  Contradict Playtech?  :P  Not likely.

Joking aside, their statement is a nice personal touch.   But to be honest, it doesn't provide anything beyond the earlier Playtech statements.  The door is still open for changes in pricing model, changes in focus, targeting a different audience, etc.    Just not "for now"... whatever that means.

Hey, some things people don't like may happen in the future.   But that probably would have happened anyway -- without Playtech.  Products change to reflect market changes.

My guess is that Playtech didn't buy Yoyo for selling Game Maker, they bought it to use Game Maker. No other tool offer so fast prototyping and instant porting to practically all known devices. Being able to order any APIs and features they need, they'll use GM to take over the world casual game market.

If that's the only reason they bought YoYoGames, it would have been a lot cheaper to just buy a few dozen Studio Master licenses for their employees.  Or modify Playmee to suit their needs.  But I understand what you're saying.  They will undoubtedly exert some "influence" over GM's direction to suit their needs, and their customer's needs.   That's natural.

But I think Studio sales to the consumer market (casual developers, as they called them) is their main interest.

#17 tek0

tek0

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:12 PM

I agree with csanyk. I'm reserving my judgement. The last game engine I used died because of a investor/company buying it and jacking up the cost to use the game engine which killed the community. I just hope that Playtech leaves YoYo Games alone where it can remain the way it is but of course let them grow. I'm still very new to the Game Maker community but it's great knowing that this community is strong. I'm really happy with using Game Maker and I would hate to see things change that would effect the community in a bad way.

aka GearedGeek

In order to be old and wise, you first must be young and stupid.

#18 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

Glad to see an offical answer :)

Best of luck to YoYo with GM:S 2.0!

I'm just glad that we can get GM:S 2.0 even faster, I really don't get people trying to think of the worst grazy scenarios that no proper company would ever let happen.

Nothing bad is going to happen to the GMC, game maker nor the yoyo, we are only going to get all the good stuff faster!

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#19 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:40 PM

Might have been a little cheaper if they bought 'Master Collection' instead. ;)

#20 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

The reason we accepted the offer from Playtech was they were the first investor who didnt want to alter our vision.

I seriously want to thank you guys, for choosing a company that will respect GM: Studio, and allow you to keep your vision in mind.
This makes me (and hopefully others) feel a lot better about the transaction.

Again thank you. :)

Edited by Andy, 20 February 2015 - 10:52 PM.

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#21 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Cool but a few things:

real-money gaming industry

That made me cringe

Will licensing options of the engine change at all?
At this stage NO

This could be completely innocent... Or it could be tricky wording to work as a safety net...

Otherwise they seem fairly ok

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#22 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

Cool but a few things:

real-money gaming industry

That made me cringe

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#23 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

This could be completely innocent... Or it could be tricky wording to work as a safety net...

I wouldn't worry too much. For YoYo or Playtech to say that GameMaker would not change pricing model would be untrue, because at some point it will. All products do. GameMaker has changed pricing models a lot over the last few years.

I think you are right, it is carefully worded. It has to be.

:duck:

#24 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:59 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. For YoYo or Playtech to say that GameMaker would not change pricing model would be untrue, because at some point it will. All products do. GameMaker has changed pricing models a lot over the last few years.

I think you are right, it is carefully worded. It has to be.

Exactly.

Cripes, look at how often people shame Sandy because he stated GameMaker would be getting an IDE upgrade. It happens all the time.

There's no winning. People want information shared. However:

• If the developers don't share information, they are accused of not being transparent and people speculate the worst.
  • If developers do share information and it doesn't come about, they are shamed for a long time.
  • If developers share information but include reneging language they are accused of being deceptive.

#25 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

Exactly.

Cripes, look at how often people shame Sandy because he stated GameMaker would be getting an IDE upgrade. It happens all the time.

There's no winning. People want information shared. However:

• If the developers don't share information, they are accused of not being transparent and people speculate the worst.
  • If developers do share information and it doesn't come about, they are shamed for a long time.
  • If developers share information but include reneging language they are accused of being deceptive.

So what about:

• If developers do share information and it does come about

?

I jest, of course, I see what you mean. There's no doubt that the wording is for their own flexibility in the future. Although out of personal preference, I would still have liked a more "set" wording, because I like the current monetizing model (pay up front and use away, as opposed to subscription or anything else).

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#26 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

You've all received a mail from YoYo Games and Playtech. I suggest you read it...

You folks have never been great about getting automated emails to Comcast addresses for some reason :P

If there's anything in that email that isn't in the OP of this topic, someone please let me know.

The email and the OP of this topic are exactly the same.

1. Is planned (partly), we've always said Mac OS X support is coming in 2.0. I'm not sure about Linux, seems like it would be doable with the IDE rewrite but I don't know if it's a main goal or anything.

2 & 3. The next version of GameMaker will have a completely rewritten UI as many people know, so these things will be improved (or at least that's the plan, I'm sure some people will prefer the old UI just to be different :P).

4. Interesting idea, not something we have planned atm though.

5. Nothing confirmed on this front, I would hope we offer some kind of bonus for current users, but none of this is in place yet.

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#27 funkygallo

funkygallo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

I'm reserving judgement; it remains to be seen what Play Tech will do.  Whenever companies acquire each other, things change.  When YoYoGames took over GameMaker from Mark Overmars, they did fantastic things with it.  I love their roadmap, and they claim that Play Tech shares their vision and isn't interested in changing the way YYG run their business, but I've never seen an acquisition happen where that hasn't been said, and where the way the acquired company does things changes.  I only hope that whatever changes are coming, will be good for the GM:S ecosystem.

6) Wii U and 3DS export too :)

#28 sah

sah

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

1. Is planned (partly), we've always said Mac OS X support is coming in 2.0. I'm not sure about Linux, seems like it would be doable with the IDE rewrite but I don't know if it's a main goal or anything.

Linux should definitely be a main goal if you ask me, especially with Valve backing linux and SteamOS. If this steam machines thing ever takes off there will be a huge user base with linux, seems insane that YoYo would ignore that. I personally don't think I would buy it unless it had proper linux support. GMS 2.0 should have a free version that wont compile executables or something, then you can advertise as the easiest, cheapest and most proven way to get started developing games. I'm excited about the future of all this but it is dependant on the linux support for me.

#29 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

Removing export from the free version is a very bad idea, they tried that for gm4mac and the mob wasn't happy.
The free model they have now is fine. If it is not defective, do not attempt repairs.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#30 NoisyPerlin

NoisyPerlin

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

I'm a newbie to GM, but in my day job I deal with a lot of companies who've done mergers and buyouts. Based on my experience, I'd say the odds are this is a good thing for us users. Here's why.

• Staff is mostly staying. It's always hopeful when the company keeps the people who made it a success.
  • They're focused on developing new versions of the software. It shows they want to actively grow what Yoyo does rather than just buying it as an investment.
  • Using their own product. The fact that Playtech will use GMS gives them a strong incentive to do a good job developing it.
  • Not too expensive a deal relative to the buyer's size. A lot of buyouts go bad because the buying company spends too much on the buyout and doesn't have anything left to spend on improving the company they just bought. That isn't an issue here, since they paid about $16.4 million and Playtech's yearly revenues are over $400 million. So they have a lot of cash to invest in making GMS better.

The non committal language about not raising prices is pretty much standard talk at this stage. It doesn't mean they will raise prices, doesn't mean they won't. They just bought the company, so to be fair it's early for them to be all that sure about anything. 

Of course, I don't know what's going to happen, and what Playtech's going to do in the future. But generally speaking the signs look hopeful. A buyout like this happens when Company A believes that if they buy company B, B will gain in value because of the ways that A and B can work together. And it looks like Playtech sees that value in further developing GMS.

#31 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

I haven't yet seen a clear article describing the structure of the surviving YYG team. Some allude to Sandy leaving, but I haven't actually seen article that say that; will he still be involved with YYG at all, within Playtech, or not? Is the rest of the team staying as-is for the time being? Some alluded to the fact that YYG would remain as a subsidiary/separate group; is that so? What would Mike/Russell's positions be, still CTO/Head of Development, or something else? I'm also curious about office relocations, etc. as part of the acquisition.

Eyas Sharaiha (eyas-sharaiha.com);
previous projects include: GMking.org, MarkUp Magazine.

#32 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:51 PM

Well, this was a surprise to say the least.

I look forward to seeing what kind of changes this brings to GameMaker and still have a lot of high-hopes for GM:S 2.0. As a Master Collection owner I am very very curious to see what 2.0 can offer me over what we currently have.

Should be a very interesting year for GameMaker!

#33 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

what 3d stuff is gonna be in gms2?

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#34 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:23 AM

Yeah, I'm wondering the same. When is Gamemaker ever going to have awesome 3D features?

Been waiting for years now. So far, aside from the old "faster 3D" update, most improvements where made

by the people on this community. But we really need some support on this for once, right?  ^_^

Edited by Alvare, 22 February 2015 - 12:26 AM.

#35 NoisyPerlin

NoisyPerlin

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:56 AM

If were taking a guess, I'd say you'll see the most improvements in multiplayer, the quality and stability of GMS itself, and HTML5 games. Playtech's an online gambling and casual games company, so they'll probably want the features that would help them develop those two kinds of games.

#36 Rolkus

Rolkus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:26 AM

All the best. I hope that with GMS2 would be offered to those who have forked out money (specifically on modules) at a discounted rate, OR make the same modules available for existing owners.

Raze: Universe - Break & Enter - 

#37 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1166 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

Where can I get information on GMS 2.0?
Hopefully it's 64bit instead of 32bit (so it can use the pagefile - and has a MUCH higher memory threshold).  GM has issues with large projects so this would make very happy.  Atm, GM can't handle resources for big games.  Skullgirls / Under Night In-Birth could not be made in GM. The kickstarted Shantae game could probably also not be made in GM.

While I love GM to death as it got me into programming and really made me feel like if I did some research I could accomplish anything when it comes to programming, I can't help but feel sad to see it have such stifling memory limiations. (Though I could just be complaining because my game has just reached that limitation and I have to find a workaround)

I honestly don't care about 3D that much. I'd much rather see proper vector support.

Also, it seems like playtech's stock prices have gotten pretty good recently.
From google as of 2/22/2015:

playtech.png

So I think they're trying to expand more and faster, and I can only really see this as a plus for GM in the long run.

Edited by Titanium, 22 February 2015 - 01:00 PM.

ljrk.png
Please Play My Games.

#38 Xnite

Xnite

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the official statement. Seems all positive. I am now more excited and hopeful, than worried. Congrats to the Yoyo founders.

#39 zendorf

zendorf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I also hope they don't bother with 3d, as there are so many better 3d engines already. I use GMS because it is a 2d specialist tool. A better IDE, code folding, global replace functions, vector support , room editor with layers, inbuilt sprite normals lighting, etc. would be much higher up on my wishlist!

After reading the official statement by YoYo/Playtech I am more confident in the direction of the product. Since Playtech will be using the engine itself, it should have a more robust/agile development cycle (similar to how Epic develops UE4 with any luck). I am excited to read that GMS2 will be out this year, and I will be very interested to see if it will have backwards compatibility with GMS1 so that I can continue existing projects. Look forward to the feature reveals in the upcoming months :)

Jellyfish Supercharge currently in development at Fracteed

#40 PoweredByC0ffee

PoweredByC0ffee

Kitteh

• GMC Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

personally, I don't give 2 sh1ts what playtech does.

as long as they don't affect me and the way i use GM in negitive ways i'm fine.

I'm kewl

#41 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

Well...ok.

#42 JackOatley

JackOatley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

*Playtech buys all coffee companies, removes the beans*

#43 Titanium

Titanium

the perfectionist

• GMC Member
  • 1166 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

Your statement is so omnibus.

That's what everyone's really worried about so you technically do give 2 sh1ts.  What if PlayTech decides to change the way GM is priced(very low chance)? What if PlayTech decides GM needs to be more 3D focused(also low chance)? They have pull now since they're financially involved.

What they do could affect you and how you use GM.... which I don't know, so it could be negative or positive for you.

Edited by Titanium, 23 February 2015 - 10:30 AM.

ljrk.png
Please Play My Games.

#44 PoweredByC0ffee

PoweredByC0ffee

Kitteh

• GMC Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

*removes GM from computer*

I cant live in this world.

*shoots self*

Edited by PoweredByC0ffee, 23 February 2015 - 01:43 PM.

I'm kewl

#45 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

*removes GM from computer*
I cant live in this world.
*shoots self*

Though the reaction is accurate, one should never joke about such things.
Never remove GM from your computer!

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#46 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

...and never shoot yourself, either. The vast majority of people surviving a suicide attempt regret ever attempting it, and you'll probably regret it even more if it succeeds. (Which is way more likely if you shoot yourself than use a more mild, slow method like starving to death)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#47 -LEWA-

-LEWA-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

What i would like to know is what will be done with GM: Studio after GM 2.0 is being released?

Especially the mobile operating systems are notorious for introducing additional bugs/problems with new versions which then can only be fixed by updating the export modules accordingly.

Is Studio being discontinued? Or will yoyogames/playtech continue to update it alongside GM 2.0?

(Asking this as i read that 2.0 will launch the end of this year.)

Edited by -LEWA-, 23 February 2015 - 07:40 PM.

signature.png

#48 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

What i would like to know is what will be done with GM: Studio after GM 2.0 is being released?

Especially the mobile operating systems are notorious for introducing additional bugs/problems with new versions which then can only be fixed by updating the export modules accordingly.

Is Studio being discontinued? Or will yoyogames/playtech continue to update it alongside GM 2.0?

Cripes, GM2.0 is far from complete and you want to know what's next?

Playtech has publicly committed to Studio and YYGs, read the announcement. Anything beyond that is completely dependent on the success of 2.0.

#49 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:42 PM

...and never shoot yourself, either. The vast majority of people surviving a suicide attempt regret ever attempting it, and you'll probably regret it even more if it succeeds. (Which is way more likely if you shoot yourself than use a more mild, slow method like starving to death)
As a surviver of attempted suicide I can vouch for the regret thing...

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#50 -LEWA-

-LEWA-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

Cripes, GM2.0 is far from complete and you want to know what's next?

Playtech has publicly committed to Studio and YYGs, read the announcement. Anything beyond that is completely dependent on the success of 2.0.

I read the announcement...

The wider plan is GameMaker 2.0. This is under development and will be completed later this year.

Just wanted to throw this question out there to remind people that we still use software that is in development. (And the end of this year also isn't that far away in terms of software development...)

It just seems (for me at least) that everyone is excited about 2.0 (a lot of people want to know when it will be released,etc...) but nobody thinks about GM Studio and what happens to it after 2.0 is released.

/Edit: Don't get me wrong, i'm also interested (and excited) in 2.0 and what it will have to offer. I just hope that Studio isn't going to be abandoned in an "incomplete" state.

I don't see the aquisition by playtech as a bad thing. I think it is a great way to help yoyogames out financially and push the development process of GM Studio.

Edited by -LEWA-, 23 February 2015 - 09:42 PM.

signature.png