#1 CriticallyPixel

CriticallyPixel

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 119 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

E5CIYkV.gif

Here's an early look at what I have for a sped up version of a day and night cycle. What do you think? 

Follow my game progress on Twitter 

@CriticallyPixel

#2 Noel_Abercrombie

Noel_Abercrombie

Hexagon of Justice

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:21 AM

Looking good, but don't forget about sunset and sunrise!

evening_sky_by_IIyan.jpg

#3 Khao

Khao

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

You may want to look into making the moon and stars bright when night comes up. The night sky isn't completely devoid of light.

Also, having the moon/sun move as time goes on would look super cool.

#4 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

Honestly, I'm not able to see the .gif. For me, it seems to be broken. Anyways, I'd like to suggest methods to make a good day and night system:
  • Make the sun and moon moving.
  • Give the clouds an effect of the daytime or nightimes, it should match the background.
  • As Noel said, don't forget about sunrise and sunset.
  • It doesn't look nice to just fade between day and night.
  • Add some colorful phenomenon.
I didn't see the .gif, these are the suggestion. If you have done any of them, just ignore. Could you upload the .gif to some other host? :thumbsup:

#5 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Here's my feedback:

• The night is too long compared to the day.
  • There should be a red period, not just a fade-to-black... it doesn't look natural. You could probably combine this by using bm_subtract blend mode and first fade out the green and blue colors and THEN fade out the red, yielding a blackish color in the end. (To fade out all colors, draw a white rectangle over the entire screen with this blend mode on, and so on. Basically draw a rectangle containing the colors you want to fade out).
  • The sun/moon should move too so that you can gauge how much time is left, too. And more stuff in general. (Don't worry about making the moon lumiscent, the moonlight isn't even powerful enough to read a book in.)
  • The 'dark circle' around you should start out really big and gradually shrink as it gets darker, too.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#6 CriticallyPixel

CriticallyPixel

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

<p>

Here's my feedback:

• The night is too long compared to the day.
  • There should be a red period, not just a fade-to-black... it doesn't look natural. You could probably combine this by using bm_subtract blend mode and first fade out the green and blue colors and THEN fade out the red, yielding a blackish color in the end. (To fade out all colors, draw a white rectangle over the entire screen with this blend mode on, and so on. Basically draw a rectangle containing the colors you want to fade out).
  • The sun/moon should move too so that you can gauge how much time is left, too. And more stuff in general. (Don't worry about making the moon lumiscent, the moonlight isn't even powerful enough to read a book in.)
  • The 'dark circle' around you should start out really big and gradually shrink as it gets darker, too.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll work mostly on the background color, night length, and light dimming and then I'll reupload another gif. Hopefully one that everyone can see :)

Hopefully after I can get a moving moon/sun, some clouds, and brighten the sky by a bit.

Edited by CriticallyPixel, 29 January 2015 - 02:11 PM.

@CriticallyPixel

#7 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:56 AM

you should make the moon move, you know have some kind of parallax effect on it, so that it stays some what fixed in the sky, but with a slight offset to account of the players position in the game world

edit: when i say "fixed in the sky" i mean in terms of it happening relative to the player, you know the moon is so far away a slight movement to the right shouldn't make a notice able difference, but a big movement still should

Edited by Tirous, 08 February 2015 - 01:58 AM.

#8 CriticallyPixel

CriticallyPixel

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

you should make the moon move, you know have some kind of parallax effect on it, so that it stays some what fixed in the sky, but with a slight offset to account of the players position in the game world

edit: when i say "fixed in the sky" i mean in terms of it happening relative to the player, you know the moon is so far away a slight movement to the right shouldn't make a notice able difference, but a big movement still should

Yeah good idea but kind of like you said, it would be very slight.

Overall progress on the day/night system has been quite difficult I can't seem to get the colors to properly fade or have the moon/sun cycle satisfyingly. I may ditch the mechanic and go with a simpler approach with having only certain areas be night/day specific.   

@CriticallyPixel