- Title: Procedural Map Generation Example
- Description: Shows the first 3 steps to generate a cave system
- GM Version: :GMS:
- Registered: Probably?
- File Type: .gmz
- File Size: 181kb
- File Link: https://app.box.com/...slfioo37gyptc98
- Required Extensions:None
- Required DLLs: None
- Tags: cellular automata, ds_grid, floodfill
Following in the footsteps of many other game developers I have been learning about map generation using cellular automation (CA). I have been working on many projects to teach myself different aspects of map generation and thought that this might come in handy to those people out there who like to see how it can be achieved in a familiar language.
The major areas this code covers is what I would consider the first 3 steps of map generation.
1. Populate a ds_grid with noise
2. Use CA to shape that noise into a cave system
3. Identify the isolated regions of the cave system
Here is a video showing the example in action: