#1 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Winter_Sale_2014_940.png

YoYo Games is offering a 60% reduction on GameMaker: Studio Professional, and a 50% reduction on Export Modules. To kick off our Holiday Sale, GameMaker: Studio Master Collection is 20% off until 17:00 (GMT) December 19 extended to December 22nd.

•     20% off GameMaker: Studio Master Collection - End 17:00 (GMT) December 19 December 22nd.
  •     60% off GameMaker: Studio Professional.
  •     50% off all of the Export Modules (HTML5, iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8 & Ubuntu Linux).

GameMaker: Studio professional provides you with all the features you need to release your game to the world faster than ever before!

Take advantage of GameMaker: Studio’s export modules by targeting some of the biggest platforms to bring your games to the masses. With 50% off, this dream becomes a reality. Just enter your GameMaker: Studio Professional licence key into our Checkout to get started.
It is time to take your game development to the next level with GameMaker: Studio.

Sale ends January 2 2015, so take advantage of these offers before they are gone.

https://www.yoyogames.com/sale

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#2 Starby

Starby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

I love sales and I would like to get the Master Collection, but I have to point out:

1) I will have to deliver games that actually sell, and very few % of the target audience do, to get a return on investment. Why would you buy this otherwise? Clearly the target audience are not all "professional developers". Game Maker is a tool to get into making games, simple and easy. Purchasing modules just for the sake of learning doesn't seem logical to many people. But maybe you only want experienced teams to purchase it?

2) 20% is better than 0%, but my god, how do you expect students/teenagers etc. afford a $639 + (25% VAT) pricetag (even more when off-sale). You might say "then get only the modules you need" or "it's aimed for developers" and to that I say:

3) I dislike the all-or-nothing deal. If I only got enough to get a few modules as I can afford them, buying the Master Collection later will make me "lose" my previous purchases. And the whole thing ties down to point 1. Is putting that amount of cash worth it for someone like me?

4) Lastly, concider the fact that GM 2.0 was announced and that the master collection only supports 1.X. What will happen in the future? Nobody knows.

To clarify a few points:

@Mike.Dailly . You cannot compare the software YYG sells to a car. It was never designed to be expensive in it's core and the target audience are mostly people like me that can't afford it, people that want to get into learning making 2D games and doing so part-time while going to school. I can use a car every day, drive it around the city. I instantly get some value back from it, saving me time. With modules for my program I can only export my games WHEN they are done and IF they are done. And for me to get value from it I need to SELL my game and make a profit. 

@TsukaYuriko: See, you don't need the MC to learn to program games. That's true, but I cannot practice programming for iphones and such with it. The games there are are completely different and I have to account for resolutions, performance and gameplay. Iphone development requires an iterative process, I can't just learn to drive a plane with my car right? Also, you don't seem to understand point 3. If I get the HTML for $200, any UPGRADE to the MC will make me lose $200 since both programs include it. So I can't get one at a time without going broke. I think most people on YYG only want some of the modules anyways, not all.

Edited by Starby, 23 December 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#3 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

I love sales and I would like to get the Master Collection, but I have to point out:

1) I will have to deliver games that actually sell, and very few % of the target audience do, to get a return on investment. Why would you buy this otherwise? Clearly the target audience are not all "professional developers". Game Maker is a tool to get into making games, simple and easy. Purchasing modules just for the sake of learning doesn't seem logical to many people. But maybe you only want experienced teams to purchase it?

2) 20% is better than 0%, but my god, how do you expect students/teenagers etc. afford a $639 + (25% VAT) pricetag (even more when off-sale). You might say "then get only the modules you need" or "it's aimed for developers" and to that I say:

3) I dislike the all-or-nothing deal. If I only got enough to get a few modules as I can afford them, buying the Master Collection later will make me "lose" my previous purchases. And the whole thing ties down to point 1. Is putting that amount of cash worth it for someone like me?

4) Lastly, concider the fact that GM 2.0 was announced and that the master collection only supports 1.X. What will happen in the future? Nobody knows.

I can't agree more. Some of the modules seem WAY overpriced. I'm sure YYG has a good reason for this though.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#4 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Seriously.... do you guys go down to your local car showroom and complain their sales should be cheaper because you personally can't afford them?

#5 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

Seriously.... do you guys go down to your local car showroom and complain their sales should be cheaper because you personally can't afford them?

They would, but they can't afford the bus fare.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#6 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

Unless it's on a 50% sale.

Jokes aside, @Starby: If you have to consider whether Master Collection is worth its price tag, you clearly don't need it and should not buy it. If you needed it, it would be worth every single penny of its price tag. You don't need Master Collection (or even Pro) to learn how to program games.

Also, there is no money lost in this process - if you don't buy MC now, you won't be able to use it now. Studio 1.x will also not magically stop working once 2.0 is released. Or do you worry about buying a new TV because an even newer model is guaranteed to be released within the next year, too? ;)

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#7 MitchBrits15

MitchBrits15

Pixel Wizard

• GMC Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

No complaints over here, I love it when YoYo hosts sales like this, even though I can't afford most of the modules even when they are on special, I still get excited about it and go and look into it.

Unless it's on a 50% sale.

Jokes aside, @Starby: If you have to consider whether Master Collection is worth its price tag, you clearly don't need it and should not buy it. If you needed it, it would be worth every single penny of its price tag. You don't need Master Collection (or even Pro) to learn how to program games.

Also, there is no money lost in this process - if you don't buy MC now, you won't be able to use it now. Studio 1.x will also not magically stop working once 2.0 is released. Or do you worry about buying a new TV because an even newer model is guaranteed to be released within the next year, too? ;)

Agreed.

TWE_BAnner_small.png

#8 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

Just wondering, why IS it so expensive? I understand a few of them (licencing and such), but why is HTML5 $200? Again, I'm just wondering, not complaining.

AczgxAZ.png

#9 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

It was supposed to be $200 from the beginning. Since I don't see you asking why Android and iOS used to be $200... just wondering, why DOES that price tag seem expensive to you? HTML5 is a platform just like Android and iOS. ;)

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#10 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:24 AM

It was supposed to be $200 from the beginning. Since I don't see you asking why Android and iOS used to be $200... just wondering, why DOES that price tag seem expensive to you? HTML5 is a platform just like Android and iOS. ;)

IOS and Android are owned by big corporations, so I figure they'd have licencing fees YYG has to pay, as well as other hurdles. HTML5 isn't, and is essentially free, so long as you know how to use it. (At least, that's what I've gathered). It seems strange that HTML5 is so expensive, even though it feels like it shouldn't be more than Windows.

As I've said before, though. I'm sure YYG has it's reasons.

Edited by RekNepZ, 20 December 2014 - 01:25 AM.

AczgxAZ.png

#11 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

Just wondering, why IS it so expensive? I understand a few of them (licencing and such), but why is HTML5 $200? Again, I'm just wondering, not complaining.

Like the guy or not, but ask True Valhalla if he thinks it is worth the price tag ;)

#12 flori9

flori9

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Also, there is no money lost in this process - if you don't buy MC now, you won't be able to use it now. Studio 1.x will also not magically stop working once 2.0 is released.

It probably won't stop working instantly. However, it'll certainly break more and more over time. Take the iOS export for example. Apple requirements are changing all the time. For example, 64-bit support is required from February 1. If Studio wouldn't be updated anymore, it would stop working then. Before that, all Studio programs actually stopped working on iOS 8. The Android export has the same type of issue, with Google rejecting all GameMaker-made programs every so often.

Another example is the HTML5 export. Chrome stopped playing all old GameMaker games some time ago. Fortunately, YoYoGames did an update, but if the program hadn't been supported anymore, the HTML5 export wouldn't work anymore now on a major browser.

Yet another example is the Ubuntu export. In the compile window it already says: "you're using function XX - this will not be supported in some time" or something like that. I can only hope that function actually breaks before Studio 2.0 is released, because the Ubuntu export will be broken for 1.x users after it does if not.

Studio generally feels a bit like Beta software to me. The IDE, especially, feels like it could collapse at any time, with random error messages popping up at random moments. Sometimes, I have to restart GM because doing any action shows an error message. Other times, I have to restart my computer because the YYC won't work otherwise. And sometimes I have to switch to EA for a version because fullscreen works strangely in the main version. And I don't think all HTML5 bugs are simply browser problems (I actually had to make extensions to work around them).

A few months ago, I talked to some people who work with GameMaker (and other software, like Unity) professionally. They basically said that, while they love the simplicity and speed of creation of GameMaker, they got a bit tired of having to report problems all the time because the program had another bug, while Unity was way more solid.

Don't misunderstand me, I really like GameMaker, and I do have the Master Collection. I don't regret buying it for $400+VAT total, as I had some great fun with it (as a hobbyist). But I still understand the issue people are having here. If you're working with Beta software, you do not expect to have to pay $639.99+VAT and you certainly don't expect to have to pay again when the stable (2.x, I hope) is released. And if you're a professional (not a hobbyist) bugs are even more frustrating as you have to earn money.

Edited by flori9, 20 December 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#13 caiys

caiys

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

flori9, so far I have just over 5500 hours clocked up on the Steam version and have only ever had a handful of crashes. I only use the stable releases so critical bugs are extremely uncommon, and if I ever do find one I just revert back to the previous version. GM continues to receive huge updates, such as shader support, and if running into a couple of bugs is the price of that then that's fine with me.

#14 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

Also, there is no money lost in this process - if you don't buy MC now, you won't be able to use it now. Studio 1.x will also not magically stop working once 2.0 is released.

It probably won't stop working instantly. However, it'll certainly break more and more over time. Take the iOS export for example. Apple requirements are changing all the time. For example, 64-bit support is required from February 1. If Studio wouldn't be updated anymore, it would stop working then. Before that, all Studio programs actually stopped working on iOS 8. The Android export has the same type of issue, with Google rejecting all GameMaker-made programs every so often.

Another example is the HTML5 export. Chrome stopped playing all old GameMaker games some time ago. Fortunately, YoYoGames did an update, but if the program hadn't been supported anymore, the HTML5 export wouldn't work anymore now on a major browser.

Yet another example is the Ubuntu export. In the compile window it already says: "you're using function XX - this will not be supported in some time" or something like that. I can only hope that function actually breaks before Studio 2.0 is released, because the Ubuntu export will be broken for 1.x users after it does if not.

Studio generally feels a bit like Beta software to me. The IDE, especially, feels like it could collapse at any time, with random error messages popping up at random moments. Sometimes, I have to restart GM because doing any action shows an error message. Other times, I have to restart my computer because the YYC won't work otherwise. And sometimes I have to switch to EA for a version because fullscreen works strangely in the main version. And I don't think all HTML5 bugs are simply browser problems (I actually had to make extensions to work around them).

A few months ago, I talked to some people who work with GameMaker (and other software, like Unity) professionally. They basically said that, while they love the simplicity and speed of creation of GameMaker, they got a bit tired of having to report problems all the time because the program had another bug, while Unity was way more solid.

Don't misunderstand me, I really like GameMaker, and I do have the Master Collection. I don't regret buying it for $400+VAT total, as I had some great fun with it (as a hobbyist). But I still understand the issue people are having here. If you're working with Beta software, you do not expect to have to pay $639.99+VAT and you certainly don't expect to have to pay again when the stable (2.x, I hope) is released. And if you're a professional (not a hobbyist) bugs are even more frustrating as you have to earn money.

This post seems to be working under the assumption that as soon as soon  2.0 comes out:

1. Studio 1.x will be abandoned
  2. There will be no upgrade path to 2.0

Both assumptions have no merit.

Given that YYGs does occasionally mention 2.0 is in development, and given that many do have concerns over 1.x support life and upgrade path to 2.0. YYGs should confirm that 1.x will be supported and there will be upgrade paths. Obviously the details are unknown at this time, but they should be able to confirm there will be something.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#15 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

Given that there has been no official announcement relating to GM2.0, I don't think YYG are in a position to talk officially talk about upgrade paths etc... When they officially announce 2.0 then I'm sure these things will be made clear too.

However, I'm pretty sure that in some of the comments that the devs have made relating to 2.0, upgrade paths have been mentioned and will be available, as well as alternative payment methods etc... and from my own experience of the company I would highly doubt that they'll just drop 1.4 and stop all support. Developing 2.0 will require a fair bit of time if even half of the things that have been hinted are true, and then another extended period in Beta, so to think that the moment 2.0 is announced officially all support for 1.4 will be ended is unlikely in the extreme.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#16 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

Like the guy or not, but ask True Valhalla if he thinks it is worth the price tag ;)

I have HTML5 as well. Definitely worth it. Very nice for testing and for uploading non-commerical games to different sites.

Get a job. I'm a college student with expenses and I could afford the modules if I stopped spending my extra money at Barnes & Noble.

Also if you get the modules, you can upgrade your current licence to master collection which shoul result in a price cut as well. I believe.

Don't take my word 100% on that.

<snip>

I can't agree more. Some of the modules seem WAY overpriced. I'm sure YYG has a good reason for this though.

Modules now include YYC ---> Worth it.

Some people don't understand... GMS is more oriented towards professional game development. E.g. getting a return

on a previous investment, if you're not doing that, you definitely do not need or should want any of the export modules

or master collection. At that point you're just wasting money on a product that you'll never actually be able to fully appreciate.

Don't get me wrong, feel free to get either the modules or master collection, I am just saying that if you won't use it and get

your money's worth out of it, then it's not for you.

Edited by FatalSleep, 20 December 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#17 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

<snip>

Modules now include YYC ---> Worth it.

Some people don't understand... GMS is more oriented towards professional game development. E.g. getting a return

on a previous investment, if you're not doing that, you definitely do not need or should want any of the export modules

or master collection. At that point you're just wasting money on a product that you'll never actually be able to fully appreciate.

Don't get me wrong, feel free to get either the modules or master collection, I am just saying that if you won't use it and get

your money's worth out of it, then it's not for you.

Well, there's nothing wrong with exporting games to different platforms even when they are not commercial and were just created as a hobby. Well, excluding iOS of course as publishing your game to the AppStore is pretty expensive for someone who doesn't earn any money with his/her app. 

#18 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

<snip>

<snip>

Well, there's nothing wrong with exporting games to different platforms even when they are not commercial and were just created as a hobby. Well, excluding iOS of course as publishing your game to the AppStore is pretty expensive for someone who doesn't earn any money with his/her app. 

Of course there isn't anything wrong with it. :)

There just isn't anything right with it either.

Edited by FatalSleep, 21 December 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#19 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

<snip>

<snip>

Of course there isn't anything wrong with it. :)

There just isn't anything right with it either.

Well, the game will be available a higher amount of people. People who make their games for fun also want their games to be played by as many people as possible.

#20 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

Also if you get the modules, you can upgrade your current licence to master collection which shoul result in a price cut as well. I believe.
Don't take my word 100% on that.

Nope, you can't. I recall there have been a few special offers to do so during sales, but normally you can't upgrade to Master.

From the helpdesk (link):

How do I upgrade from Professional to Master Collection?

You can not.

GameMaker: Studio Master Collection must be purchased as a one off buy and can not be upgraded to.

The Master Collection must be purchased outright with no regards to previously purchased licenses.

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#21 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

I got the master collection,  :whistle:  my Christmas gift :lol:

#22 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

No one's answered my question yet. Why is HTML5 $200?

AczgxAZ.png

#23 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

Why is a television $799? Why is a mouse $10? Why is a car $11,500? Why SHOULDN'T it be $200? Things are the price they are for two reasons: those that make them think they are worth that price, and those that buy it are prepared to pay that price. If you can't see the value in the product for the price being asked then it's probably not for you, but believe me, it's worth every penny...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#24 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:31 AM

Why do you think you are so entitled?

#25 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

I really love that yoyogames is hosting another sale for those who don't have enough money to buy the

product or simply want it cheaper. I really don't get the negative feedback over a sale, they made a lot

of things way cheaper for you guys and the only thing some of you do is complain?

RekNepZ, that's probably for a pretty good reason and I don't get how a 200$ price tag ( 100$ atm )

is too much for an export which runs on pretty much any platform.

Seriously, you DO NOT need anything more than the standard edition to make proper games, and if you

need some of the features what proffesional edition offers, you can grab it for $39.99, if you have

already put so much effort and work in your game that you simply can't do without the proffesional edition

features it's only $39.99 right now which I highly doubt is too much for what it offers.

Have you guys actually looked at what other engines are asking for similar features? Game Maker is really

cheap compared to a lot of others, and I'm pretty sure that some of the new features are worth even more

than they ask, such as YYC , shaders , spine support , buffers, proper networking and vertex buffers.

Edited by Braffolk, 22 December 2014 - 01:46 AM.

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#26 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:43 AM

Why is a television $799? Why is a mouse $10? Why is a car $11,500? 

Greed?

I guess I'm just sort of a Marxist. I prefer not to pay huge prices for things just so the creator can afford a first-class room on a Mediterranean cruise.

<Awaits -rep from YYG staff and +rep from a random user I've never seen before>

AczgxAZ.png

#27 Sm0ke

Sm0ke

Not Sm0ke

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:14 AM

I've negotiated prices with a salesman before. Granted, I didn't get any sort of sale on the vehicle because I'm a terrible negotiator but if I personally can't afford the vehicle, that means a lot of other people can't afford it as well. But I'm sure that's a foreign concept to you.

If you have to consider whether Master Collection is worth its price tag, you clearly don't need it and should not buy it.

Oh yeah. Say I have no money to my name at all and I take a trip to the grocery store, and a loaf of bread is $2.50. Well, since I can't afford sustenance, looks like I don't need sustenance. HEY EVERYONE, THE KEY TO IMMORTALITY IS BEING FLAT BROKE

Get a job. I'm a college student with expenses and I could afford the modules if I stopped spending my extra money at Barnes & Noble.

What kind of college-level job are you working where you have come to a point where you can toss away $800 on Game Making software?!

At that point you're just wasting money on a product that you'll never actually be able to fully appreciate.

I can't say making back the $800 from buying the Master Collection is making back your money's worth. Technically, it is, but if Michael Bay spends $230 million to make a Transformers movie, he's not expecting to make back just $230 million. He's expecting back over a billion, and that's getting your money's worth. I'm not saying you have to make back a billion dollars from making games, but unless you're raking in enough cash to abandon any sort of legitimate occupation so you can focus on making games, your $800 probably wasn't 100% wisely spent. But hey, that's just me.

Some people just dont understand

Well, that wasn't pretentious or anything.

Why is a television $799?

Why does a television cost as much as GM:S?

those that make them think they are worth that price

So, I take some gum from off the bottom of my shoe and price it at $50, decide it's worthy of such a price, and anyone who objects "isn't fit" for such a luxury? I'm not saying I expect people to pay money for gum I stepped on, but my point is that if you are not willing to spend $50 on that, you aren't worthy of the gum I found underneath my shoe by that logic.

and those that buy it are prepared to pay that price.

It's $200 because you can't find that specific product anywhere else, so YYG can hike up the prices to whatever they want and people will still shovel their hard-earned money to them.

If you can't see the value in the product for the price being asked then it's probably not for you, but believe me, it's worth every penny...

By my apartment there's a plaza with a cinema and a Walgreens across the street. In the cinema you can buy a box of Skittles for $10. Now, why on earth would I pay the grossly exaggerated price of $10 when I can go across the street and buy the exact same box for $2 and sneak it in? If I don't want to pay $10 for a box of candy at the cinema, am I unworthy of the box of Skittles enclosed in that glass case? Is the box of Skittles at the cinema really worth more than the box at Walgreens? No. It's the same freaking box.

I suppose a better example would be going to a sporting event at a stadium. Since you're enclosed in that stadium, you have to purchase the goods that are made for you at concession stands. These prices can be hiked as high as they can be because, let's be honest, where else are you going to buy food? You can't leave and go pick stuff up. So you're going to charge people $4 for a bottle of water because, hell, people will buy it! I suppose you think $800 is a fair price because there's nothing to compare it to.

Edited by Sm0ke, 22 December 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#28 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

Sm0ke What we're trying to get at is that if others see the value in the product and purchase it, then

it has to be at least partially worth it. If you don't see the value in the product then obviously it's not for you because

you won't pay the price required to purchase the product. It doesn't mean you aren't "worthy" of the product, just

that you believe that the product is not worth the intended price.

As the view on the price is completely subjective it doesn't mean that that subjectivity is wrong, especially if more than a

few are purchasing the product and are completely content with their purchase.

Also, I am working a job at $8.25 an hour at 20 hours or less a week. I personally have not purchased GMS: Master

however I plan on upgrading to it within the near future. The point being is that if you want something and see fit to make

a purchase of it, save up and get it. That's what I do and will continue to do.

Naturally if you believe the gum on the bottom of your shoe is $50 then that's up to you. In the end it all comes down to the

final choice of the consumer. It doesn't matter if YoYo believes that GM:S Master is $800, what matters is whether or not

the consumer believes so and if the consumer does, then that consumer will eventually make the purchase if they have that

intention.

Either way arguing with the developers won't help, they won't mark down the price because of a few opposing opinions,

because to them their product is still worth the intended price.

Edited by FatalSleep, 22 December 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#29 Sm0ke

Sm0ke

Not Sm0ke

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:43 AM

It's not the consumer's choice. You can either buy it at YYG's set price or you can't buy it at all.

#30 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:49 AM

It's not the consumer's choice. You can either buy it at YYG's set price or you can't buy it at all.

It's the consumers choice to "make the purchase," but again, it's to make the purchase

at the price intended by YYG.

#31 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:32 AM

Well, they do have a choice. They have a huge range of choices.

http://www.indiedb.com/engines

Have you actually compared the prices of Game Maker Studio's to other products?

some examples:

https://store.unity3d.com/

http://gamesalad.com/creator/pro

You claim that the consumers don't have a choice, but they do! And there are a lot of free choices out there next to the

paid ones too such as cocos2D, Löve2D, etc. ( Standard edition of GM:S is free too! )

You brought up bread as a comparison which is a really terrible example because food is something essential for humans.

You can get GM:S for free and make as many games as you like, when you have advanced so far or want to start making 

games for other platforms simply buy the export you need. If you do not need it then feel free to just get any other product

out there or don't buy any!

It's really stupid to compare a gum from the bottom of your shoe to game maker studio as there are a lot of people who do

find game maker worthy of it's price and YYG has but A LOT of effort in this product while in your example you simply picked

a gum from the bottom of your shoe.

again, there is a really wide range of selection from free to really expensive and there are thousands of developers choosing

game maker studio as their tool proving that for many people this product is worth it's price!

From my point of view a TV is way more overpriced than Game Maker Studio as you can't earn money simply from watching a TV

and it gives you nothing other than emotions. Game Maker Studio on the other hand is a tool to produce products which you can

either sell to gain money or give out for free.

What kind of college-level job are you working where you have come to a point where you can toss away $800 on Game Making software?!

There are people actually who work as game developers or who are planning to earn money from games so I simply don't

get how you can call it "tossing away".

This topic has went really off-topic and wouldn't be too bad to have it locked for awhile...

Edited by Braffolk, 22 December 2014 - 07:33 AM.

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#32 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

They don't.  Because they'd be laughed at, ignored, or thrown out. 

But here, they get to argue with the company's Head of Development, and sometimes with the Chief Technology Office.

#33 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

But here, they get to argue with the company's Head of Development, and sometimes with the Chief Technology Office.
Don't forget the CEO, he's here in occasion! Not sure if Overmars still pops in, but we could argue with him too, just for the halibut.

In all fairness, I saved up money I found and got for my birthday and used that to buy the html export in sale. I got pro on sale too. I'm poor and cheap, gm was a great investment, as game development is what I want to do "when I grow up".

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#34 Sm0ke

Sm0ke

Not Sm0ke

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

Well, they do have a choice. They have a huge range of choices.

http://www.indiedb.com/engines

Have you actually compared the prices of Game Maker Studio's to other products?

some examples:

https://store.unity3d.com/

http://gamesalad.com/creator/pro

You claim that the consumers don't have a choice, but they do! And there are a lot of free choices out there next to the

paid ones too such as cocos2D, Löve2D, etc. ( Standard edition of GM:S is free too! )

That's like going to the stadium and going to a concession stand and saying "I'd like a Coke, please" and the vendor telling you "Oh, we're sorry, we don't serve Coca-Cola products, but we do serve RC Cola." Those are other products, sure, but they're not GM:S. GM:S Master Collection is, admittedly, probably the ideal platform for game creation with all of the freedom that's provided for you (not $800's worth, but it's still pretty handy if you know what you're doing). That being said, you cannot specifically find GM:S Master Collection anywhere else, for any other price, except YYG's set price. So no, the consumer does not have a choice.

food is something essential for humans.

The term "need" was dropped by someone else, so I took the opportunity to be nit-picky about it. You're right, food is essential to humans. What a clever observation you've made there!

You can get GM:S for free and make as many games as you like, when you have advanced so far or want to start making 

games for other platforms simply buy the export you need. If you do not need it then feel free to just get any other product

out there or don't buy any!

I've always been interested in making games for Android or iOS. It would be neat to create small little freeware games for you or your friends and keep them in a closed little circle. Or even something widespread, but still make it freeware (without in-game ads) because hey, why not? GML is an easy-to-learn coding language, so I wouldn't have to learn Java if I were to use Android Studio or some iOS developer program. However, making small little freeware programs will cost me $190, and that's for exporting to one platform alone. Sure, it seems pretty silly to use Android/iOS export for small little freeware projects, but where else am I going to be able to do that so easily? Convenience to the consumer doesn't warrant a $150 price tag. Exports shouldn't be considered just for professional use.

It's really stupid to compare a gum from the bottom of your shoe to game maker studio as there are a lot of people who do

find game maker worthy of it's price and YYG has but A LOT of effort in this product while in your example you simply picked

a gum from the bottom of your shoe.

People find it worthy because there isn't another price to GM:S Master to compare it to. You have two options: Convince yourself that GM:S Master is worthy of its exaggerated price so you don't feel like you've wasted money after buying it, or not buying it. I'm not denying that people actually find the value of GM:S Master as fitting, but those people cannot be the majority. There are lots of people who buy a $4 bottle of water at the stadium because money isn't a problem for them.

From my point of view a TV is way more overpriced than Game Maker Studio as you can't earn money simply from watching a TV

and it gives you nothing other than emotions. Game Maker Studio on the other hand is a tool to produce products which you can

I can agree on this. However, neither product should be within the $800 range. Unless you have a few extra hundred or thousand dollars hanging around to spend on distribution, advertising, and additional fees from Samsung/Apple/Microsoft/whoever, you are not making back enough money to say GM:S Master was worth its price.

You say that as if they say anything to us at all, much less even pretend to show the least bit of concern for their customers. Gee whiz, I feel so privileged to be ignored!

#35 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:20 AM

I'm a bit sick of arguing this topic...

<snip>

That's like going to the stadium and going to a concession stand and saying "I'd like a Coke, please" and the vendor telling you "Oh, we're sorry, we don't serve Coca-Cola products, but we do serve RC Cola." Those are other products, sure, but they're not GM:S. GM:S Master Collection is, admittedly, probably the ideal platform for game creation with all of the freedom that's provided for you (not $800's worth, but it's still pretty handy if you know what you're doing). That being said, you cannot specifically find GM:S Master Collection anywhere else, for any other price, except YYG's set price. So no, the consumer does not have a choice.

The consumers DO have a choice, they can choose to use Unity for free up until they wish to purchase extra features

or they can do the same for GM: S or they can write their own game engine with SDL/C++ or Java, etc.

Consumers DON'T have to purchase GM:S, but they do, because they don't have the knowledge or time to use a more

advanced platform... Once again GM: S is worth every penny for whatever you get to whomever wishes to enjoy it.

If you don't like the price tag then don't buy it, simple enough...

<snip>

I've always been interested in making games for Android or iOS. It would be neat to create small little freeware games for you or your friends and keep them in a closed little circle. Or even something widespread, but still make it freeware (without in-game ads) because hey, why not? GML is an easy-to-learn coding language, so I wouldn't have to learn Java if I were to use Android Studio or some iOS developer program. However, making small little freeware programs will cost me $190, and that's for exporting to one platform alone. Sure, it seems pretty silly to use Android/iOS export for small little freeware projects, but where else am I going to be able to do that so easily? Convenience to the consumer doesn't warrant a $150 price tag. Exports shouldn't be considered just for professional use.

You can't do this as easily anywhere else, that's why the price is so high. No.. the price is so high because of the insane amount of man hours,

knowledge, experience and features that go into the program.

Honestly, people pay hundreds of dollars for smart phones and consoles and they get nothing out of those besides convenience and entertainment.

You get both of those + opportunities with GM: S. I bet you have a console, smart phone, oh and maybe some other useless expensive devices or

maybe only one of those mentioned. Yet... how which of those is actually beneficial to you or has the potential to become beneficial to you in the future?

It's all a matter of perspective, I don't think a smart phone should cost $400(same price as my PC and tablet), but I don't complain about how Samsung

or Verizon Wireless need to lower the prices so I can afford them or feel like they're worth buying.

<snip>

People find it worthy because there isn't another price to GM:S Master to compare it to. You have two options: Convince yourself that GM:S Master is worthy of its exaggerated price so you don't feel like you've wasted money after buying it, or not buying it. I'm not denying that people actually find the value of GM:S Master as fitting, but those people cannot be the majority. There are lots of people who buy a $4 bottle of water at the stadium because money isn't a problem for them.

I can agree on this. However, neither product should be within the $800 range. Unless you have a few extra hundred or thousand dollars hanging around to spend on distribution, advertising, and additional fees from Samsung/Apple/Microsoft/whoever, you are not making back enough money to say GM:S Master was worth its price.

You say that as if they say anything to us at all, much less even pretend to show the least bit of concern for their customers. Gee whiz, I feel so privileged to be ignored!

Yes there is, Unity? Oh and there are free dev-kits which compile to multiple platforms, e.g. Python being one and it's free!

A TV should be in the $800 price range depending on the size and quality. If no one thought they were worth $800 then

the TVs wouldn't sell and companies would be forced to lower prices or recall the products. In the case of both TVs and GM: S,

that isn't so that's why the prices rarely go down due to sales and that's why the products sell. The global perspective of the

consumers has determined that these products are worth buying and thus the prices don't go down due to demand.

Depends on the forums you resides in mostly. I see both Sandy Duncan, Mike.Daily and Nocturne here frequently on the forums.

Which honestly neither of those three technically don't need to waste there time helping all of us out. They could appoint more

mods and other staff, but they don't, they're here when they can be, helping whomever they can with their time.

#36 soy

soy

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

i missed the sales :(

#37 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

You missed it by so far, there's now a new sale! (not quite as good deals, though—40% off pro and exports)

(welcome to the GMC, by the way :))

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png

#38 PenguinPingo

PenguinPingo

Game Developer

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

Did anyone else think that YoYo Games was having another sale from this post bump?

/---------------------------------------------------------\

Goodbye GMC, it was nice knowing you.

\---------------------------------------------------------/

#39 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Did anyone else think that YoYo Games was having another sale from this post bump?

They are having another sale.

#40 eyezik

eyezik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

seriously?!  who DOESNT haggle the car salesman?  if you DONT theres something wrong with you.  its common knowledge to talk the car salesman down, new OR used cars.  the pricetag is a suggested retail value.  

and youre damn right ill gripe n complain about the suggested retail price of a car made in another country, which uses plastic parts here or there because its cheaper for the manufacturer.

#41 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

Last new car I bought, the car salesman actually haggled himself down $20,000 without me saying a word.

#42 mudora23

mudora23

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

You missed it by so far, there's now a new sale! (not quite as good deals, though—40% off pro and exports)

(welcome to the GMC, by the way :))

I just took the offer, seems pretty good to me already. though I am now curious how good the deal was :P

#43 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

I just took the offer, seems pretty good to me already. though I am now curious how good the deal was :P

Can't really go wrong with any of the offers that come up from time to time :)

#44 thomas130

thomas130

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

I was going to buy the full master game studio, however I have been told that version 2 is coming out soon and will have a out of date software within months and the license won't carry over.

Not willing to spend hundreds of pounds for something that won't be supported in a couple of months

#45 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

The next version is no where near ready to come out..... and Studio 1.x will be supported for a good couple of years at least.

#46 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

I was going to buy the full master game studio, however I have been told that version 2 is coming out soon and will have a out of date software within months and the license won't carry over.
Not willing to spend hundreds of pounds for something that won't be supported in a couple of months

As an indicator look at how long GM 8.1 has been supported for since GMS was released. From my understanding it is still to this day supported by the boys at YYG (just not under any further development)

#47 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:58 AM

The next version is no where near ready to come out..... and Studio 1.x will be supported for a good couple of years at least.

Isn't it coming out this year?

Or has it been delayed once again?  :whistle: