#1 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

Winter Windows

Winter Windows is a fast-paced arcade game where you navigate a maze of ladders and corridors, rallying to close and lock all the windows before the evil snowmen chase you down... or your house gets so cold you freeze right on the spot! As you proceed, the levels get trickier and tricker and a larger group of snowmen will try to surround you! Take part in fierce competition for the top of the highscore table!

Everything is presented in authentic quality 8-bit sprites and sounds, giving you a perfect 1980s arcade feeling. Originally created for the 16x16 Challenge with the theme "Keep Warm".

• Game Name: Winter Windows
  • Category: Action Puzzle / Arcade
  • File Size: 3 MB
  • GM Version: Studio 1.4
  • Screen Resolution: 480x640
  • Mulitplayer: No
  • Download Link: https://app.box.com/...71soyhtv96gimoo
  • Screenshots:

yCKtG9c.png 89zdzMI.png

Protips:

• Hold a diagonal direction to get off a ladder faster. Useful if you're being chased.
  • You can grab the padlock while it's falling, even if you're on a higher level than it will land on.
  • Snowmen will always head for a closed window before they chase you down. Closing an open window at the right time can let you escape out of some tight spots.
  • Temperature falls faster the more windows are open. If it hits zero, you will get frozen immediately even if there's no snowmen around.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#2 Duffymoon

Duffymoon

Gaming since 1976

• GMC Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:47 AM

Looks good, plays well, and challenging. I like it.

Only issue that I see is that the snowmen sometimes just go back and forth and not try to go up or down ladders for a little bit.

Other wise, good job.

#3 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

Really love it :D

Was fun to play and challenging,

Graphics are nice too.

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#4 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

Nice work!

Very arcadey with the unusual aspect ratio.

Where do I put the coins? :)

#5 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Jay! Glad so many people like such an old-school game, didn't expect that :)

Where do I put the coins?  :)

Press [Enter]. Also used for entering your name (which you enter with the entire keyboard, I was lazy there).

Only issue that I see is that the snowmen sometimes just go back and forth and not try to go up or down ladders for a little bit.

Partially intentional... their AI needs some flaws so you can outrun them. But yeah, it looks kinda stupid. They also only pathfind one node at a time, so under some circumstances (especially when chasing you and you move around) they decide it's shorter to move back than to continue.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#6 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Where do I put the coins?  :)

Press [Enter]. Also used for entering your name (which you enter with the entire keyboard, I was lazy there).

LOL - I meant the real coins.

When are you releasing the coin box hardware add-on :lol:

#7 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Lol XD

Maybe I should set up a paypal donation, donate 50c per play? :P

Spoiler

#8 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Lol XD
Maybe I should set up a paypal donation, donate 50c per play? :P

That actually would be very easy to do!

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#9 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:30 PM

Won't it be nice if the old man was able to jump down from the woody floors?

No, then it's not Pac-Man anymore :P

Spoiler

#10 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Mixing up two sprites because of overlap? No real biggie if it is what I think it is... could you post a screenshot just in case?

Spoiler

#11 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1961 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

On Round 7 there are invisible ladders where the chandeliers are at the top of the level.

Fun game. Trying to figure out if it's better to close more windows, or finish the level with a higher temperature... hm

Posted Image
The next generation of Game Maker fighting games? More like the best.
Showdown Academy | Showdown Academy Blog

Check out my new album at last.fm: KatazTrophee

#12 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

Trying to figure out if it's better to close more windows, or finish the level with a higher temperature... hm

One second's worth of temperature (with open windows) is worth 600 points.

On Round 7 there are invisible ladders where the chandeliers are at the top of the level.

Whoops, put those tiles in the wrong layer :/ Ah well, maybe you can explain it with the protagonist climbing the chandeliers, they're pretty big. Does it look glitchy? If not, I guess it'd be a fun easter egg.

Spoiler

#13 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:17 PM

NOOOO I'm at my quota of positive votes already :a

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#14 GhostGK

GhostGK

Ghost In The Studio

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

It's a very nice game! I loved it very much.
I topped all the default high scores. I'd like to suggest, if the oldman loses a life, all the locked windows shouldn't be unlocked again. Overall, It's a fun Game! :)

"Lhadatt : You know, It didn't look so big on paper..

Marty: Ideas grow, sometimes larger than life.."

#15 Forslin

Forslin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

This doesn't remind me of Pac-Man all that much. What it does feel like is the last level on Donkey Kong, which is actually really good. Especially because of the fact that Pac-Man games have become so cliché  ages ago. 

#16 JugemDWK

JugemDWK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:52 AM

Fun game Yal..  Great atmosphere; nice simple NES-style graphics, catchy music, fun sound effects, climbable chandeliers.... oh wait.... :P  To answer your question to the other poster, I think it seemed a bit buggy, considering there's a gap between the floor and the chandeliers (and considering I wouldn't expect to be able to climb them).  It's not horrible though, and it's funny to see that you can do so.  Nothing that detracts anything from the experience.  I think I just got to round 8 (252505 points), although I didn't play more than a handful of times. It's a very fun game, however, there's no real incentive to play on.  That's obviously a problem with the whole genre; most of the lasting appeal comes from competing with others for high scores, mainly from multiple people playing on an arcade machine.  I think if you increased the default high scores to scores that took a bit of effort to achieve, there'd be more reason to play longer. Especially if you gave some kind of reward for beating these scores.  But that's probably beyond the scope of this game, and it's still very fun for what it is. Oh, I almost forgot to mention.  If it's in there, I must have missed it, but it doesn't seem like there's any pause button in the game. Being able to pause would have been nice, but fun game regardless.

#17 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

This doesn't remind me of Pac-Man all that much. What it does feel like is the last level on Donkey Kong, which is actually really good. Especially because of the fact that Pac-Man games have become so cliché  ages ago. 

Probably mostly because I pretend this is a platformer - there's no gravity or anything, so movement is technically just like in Pac-Man.

That's obviously a problem with the whole genre; most of the lasting appeal comes from competing with others for high scores, mainly from multiple people playing on an arcade machine. 

Yup, I remember how much more fun Dartmoor Finch became because of the online highscore table. Maybe I could get something like that to work with this game... Right now it's not a priority, though. This was a small game for a small competition (and I won it) so it's sort of served its purpose. It was fun to make something really retro for a change, too. :)

Spoiler

#18 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

Pretty fun! Well designed; love the graphics and music. This game definitely fits the era. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that the controls are too good ;p. It seems that part of the challenge of old school games was their clunky nature, but other than that it's very enjoyable! This game begs to be played with a joystick or even a USB NES controller.

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#19 ShadeSpeed

ShadeSpeed

Procedural Generation King

• GMC Member
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

Yay, what an awesome game :D

I sucked a bit on my first run - quite challenging!

Edt89bY.png

Marketplace Resources

code.png page.png video.png

#20 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

114150 is still pretty good for a complete novice, though. I actually expected people to have issues getting over 50,000 :P

Spoiler

#21 swyrl

swyrl

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:52 AM

May I ask the inspiration for the name?

uyzd1z6.jpg?1

#22 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

Snowmen ---> Winter.

You run around and close windows ---> Windows.

The game's totally not based on a true story :P (It actually is... mom thinks we need clean air, and runs around opening windows... I freeze to death, so I run around and close them when she isn't looking)

Spoiler

#23 hydro222

hydro222

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

its got that old school look to it love it

#24 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Thanks! :3

Spoiler

#25 ThunkGames

ThunkGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

You should consider making this a mobile app. Mobile needs more retro.

#26 Retroman85

Retroman85

A GMC Game Historian

• GMC Member
  • 72 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:41 AM

There is few things you missed, Yal. Although this game is very excellent, I found a few things that you could improve on, 

- When you enter a name, you used a joystick the flip between letters, not a keyboard XD

- The font is bouncy, the font in arcades used solid 16x16 characters.

- You should add a coin counter for two players, Instead of simply pressing Enter.

Just some suggestions, hope you like them.

Vorswrath - Retro 1980s Arcade Game (REMAKING)  ::   Star Defender - Retro 1980s Arcade Game (DONE W/ ARTWORK)

StarField - SUPERRETRO 1970s Arcade Game (DONE W/ ARTWORK ::   Altered - Retro 1980s Arcade Game (DONE W/ ARTWORK)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arcade, puzzle, action, retro