Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:54 AM

Programming Q&A Guidelines

Things to try before posting:

• Consult the manual
    You can access the manual by pressing F1 in GM or by visiting http://docs.yoyogames.com.
  • Search the forum
    Use the search box in the upper-right corner of the GMC - you might find an answer without having to post a topic.

When posting a topic, please follow these guidelines:

• Use a meaningful title
    Use a topic title that summarizes the problem rather than titles like "I need help" or "Error".
  • Describe your problem clearly
    Describe what you want your code to do, as well as what it actually does. If error messages are thrown, post the error messages.
  • Make your code easy to read
    Indent your code and use code tags to properly highlight and format it.
  • Show some initiative
    Post any code you have written to attempt to solve the problem on your own. Let people see that you at least tried to do so. Doing so will also make it easier for them to spot potential logical flaws in your code.
  • Be concise
    When posting code, post only what is relevant to the issue.
  • A note for DnD / Drag and Drop users
    If you are using Drag and Drop icons, you can still "post code". Open up any object and click the "Show Information" button in its properties. You can then post the relevant parts in your topic.
  • We strongly advise against posting your entire project files
    ...but whenever you see no other way, make sure to point people towards the problem the best you can within the file, i.e, object or script name where you think the issue is occurring and any and all relevant information.

Things to do after your problem has been solved:

• Mark your topic as solved
    Click the "Mark Solved" button in the lower-right corner of the best answer. This also flags the topic as solved.
  • If someone helped you, thank them!

Thanks for taking the time to read this guide!

Edited by TsukaYuriko, 19 December 2015 - 06:42 AM.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#2 megano

megano

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 13 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

cool

#3 LordDestroyer

LordDestroyer

Cuddlomancer

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

This is the first time after three years I took a look at something like guidelines or rules...

And I can clearly see now that I'm not the only one who completely ignored similiar topics...

EDIT: I tried that hint about the 'show information', althrough I use code.

In some cases it's a good recipe for instant headache:

Spoiler

And that's just one object. Well, the object with most code, but still... One object.

Take anything from the code if you actually need (or want), but it's nothing uncommon.

Edited by LordDestroyer, 21 March 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#4 Doomification171

Doomification171

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

2015th viewer, in 2015.
Life goal achieved.

Edited by Doomification171, 10 April 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#5 TDSrock

TDSrock

Aedifex Praecantatio

• GMC Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

Could the OP possibly include the use of code blocks.

I see people posting their code into the editor far too often and it makes it hard to read. :(

yoyogamessigTDSrock_zpsb6af8f68.png

#6 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

Could the OP possibly include the use of code blocks.

Won't help. I prepared a somewhat handy list of all the useful and available BBCode tags but most of the new members do not want to "waste" their time reading it.

Same thing applies to this topic as well. You'll have to tell them to read this topic (the way you do currently) anyway. But there isn't a problem in adding that to the topic if they agree to read it. You'll have to tell them either way.

@Tsuka: Won't it be okay to link to the topic I mentioned above in the OP? (That may help new members learn how to format their posts, at least the majority who use the mobile version of the GMC).

#7 TDSrock

TDSrock

Aedifex Praecantatio

• GMC Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

Won't help. I prepared a somewhat handy list of all the useful and available BBCode tags but most of the new members do not want to "waste" their time reading it.

Same thing applies to this topic as well. You'll have to tell them to read this topic (the way you do currently) anyway. But there isn't a problem in adding that to the topic if they agree to read it. You'll have to tell them either way.

@Tsuka: Won't it be okay to link to the topic I mentioned above in the OP? (That may help new members learn how to format their posts, at least the majority who use the mobile version of the GMC).

Adding in your link would be nice. But that is just BBcode no explanation on how to do the same with the rich text editor. I prefer BBcode, but most people won't.

yoyogamessigTDSrock_zpsb6af8f68.png

#8 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Adding in your link would be nice. But that is just BBcode no explanation on how to do the same with the rich text editor. I prefer BBcode, but most people won't.

I don't agree. Most of the members (new ones, at least) would be bound to use BBCode tags because they have no other choice, for they use the mobile version (use the GMC on their mobile devices) most of the time. (But since the topic I wrote about is already pinned, it doesn't matter much -- it surely does but not much).

#9 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Wholeheartedly agreed. I'll add a line to include this.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#10 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

Wholeheartedly agreed. I'll add a line to include this.

Great! I have updated the BBCode tags' topic as well, so that it does not look and sound confusing. Would you please remove the moderator comment and the Edited By sign from the OP (so that it looks better)? Also, it would be nice if the topic is cleaned.

As a side note, you should add a small note at the botton of this post telling people to read the BBCode tags' topic if they, for instance, need to know how to embed an image or how to put text inside a spoiler. After that, you can clean this topic. (This topic seems too busy for a guidelines' topic :P).

#11 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

I'd say images and spoilers are not as "crucial" for Q&A topics as code tags are in terms of readability. The topic is already linked, so the people who read this topic (read: nobody) will most likely read that one. With all of this in mind, I don't think it's a good idea to stretch the OP with this any more. (I see these two tags misused to post pictures of code or D&D and to spoiler those more than I see them used properly, anyway, so maybe people shouldn't know about them. ;P)

Also, since this is not a rules topic, I don't think handling this topic in such a "clinical" way is required (or, for that matter, healthy). Primarily, these are guidelines from the community for the community, and member interaction in a community-based effort is more than welcome. I'd say the same goes for the BBCode topic.

Edited by TsukaYuriko, 19 December 2015 - 08:05 AM.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#12 SamimNoorzaiTGC

SamimNoorzaiTGC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

Tough guidlines for an outlaw like me!

#13 GameGoblin

GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

@Tsuka: It would also be nice if you tell members not to remove post content once they have figured out the problem themselves. Many members seem to do that. (Latest example here.)

Tell them to edit the original post to add what the solution was, so that the members viewing such topics find them useful. :thumbsup:

#14 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

That's already a part of the Q&A rules.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png